ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel after Brexit

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ivetalopes38
Newly Registered

Travel after Brexit

Post by ivetalopes38 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:46 pm

Hi there,

I am not sure where exactly to post my question and I am struggling to find this information online so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

I have dual nationality British and Bulgarian. I live in the UK. Does anyone know if I can travel from the UK to Greece with my Bulgarian ID card? The reason being is that I applied to renew my British passport as it expired but there is a delay and I may not get my new passport in time to travel. I hold a Bulgarian ID card which before Brexit one could use to travel everywhere in Europe.
I read online that now if you have a settled or pre-settled status in the UK you can cross the UK border with your Bulgarian ID. Everyone else apparently needs an actual passport to cross the border. Probably a daft question but since I am a British citizen I fall into the (settled status category) I assume ?

Many thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Travel after Brexit

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:37 am

Note that "EU Settled Status" is a UK immigration status - a British citizen is not under immigration control and therefore can't hold any immigration status.

You should be able to use your ID card to leave the UK and as you say it's valid for travel within the EU. On your return presenting your ID card you will be asked whether you have Settled Status - clearly you don't as a British citizen. The only travellers currently allowed to use their ID cards for entry to the UK are EU citizens with Settled Status.

Assuming you naturalised the only thing you can do is to take your certificate and present that at the UK border as proof that you are British (it may take extra time). You also need to check with the carrier whether they will allow boarding to the UK with an EU ID card. There have been cases reported elsewhere that in some countries ID cards were refused for boarding to the UK.

Note that British citizens have automatic "right of abode" in the UK and cannot refused entry. Clearly it would be easier using a British passport.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ivetalopes38
Newly Registered

Re: Travel after Brexit

Post by ivetalopes38 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:31 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I hope I can renew my British passport in time for travel but if not I may have to try my luck with my Bulgarian ID card.