ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Grad Visa Route vs Skilled Worker Route

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Rabera
Newly Registered
United States of America

Grad Visa Route vs Skilled Worker Route

Post by Rabera » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:11 pm

Hello,

I’m seeking advice on the following visa routes. Is the Skilled worker (new entrant) and graduate visa around the same level of equivalence? Or does one visa offer a larger level of advantages?

Like many other post topics here, I am doing a dissertation resit (MSc business). The dissertation submission date goes past my Tier-4 visa expiry (4 June 2022) I have already been denied sponsorship extension from my visa as my dissertation “could be completed remotely”. This would make me ineligible to apply for the grad visa route as I would not be in the UK at time of certificate completion to apply for the Grad Route Visa.

The Grad Route Visa has always been my plan but now does not seem very tangible.

I see myself having two options:

1. Cram and finish my dissertation in the next 5-6 weeks (way ahead of submission date and also subject to what my business school permits) so I am able to show completion of degree and apply for grad Route while I’m in the country

Or

2. Leave the UK by 4 June 2022. Submit Dissertation at original deadline (30 June 2022) and then apply for Skilled Worker Visa

My main question is, am I doing myself a disservice by not doing everything possible to make myself eligible le for the Grad Visa Application Route? Or is the Skilled Worker Visa just as viable if an option?

Im nervous that I’m going to miss out on an opportunity and may jeopardise my future if I opt for the Skilled worker Visa.

I have done a lot of research and am still uneasy with the decision. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you!

ywlgy

Re: Grad Visa Route vs Skilled Worker Route

Post by ywlgy » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:25 pm

DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:31 am

Rabera wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:11 pm
am I doing myself a disservice by not doing everything possible to make myself eligible le for the Grad Visa Application Route? Or is the Skilled Worker Visa just as viable if an option?
It depends.

If you want the flexibility to do any work you wish for 2 years, including jobs with low skill and/or salary, or to not work at all, the Graduate route is the only option for that.

If you are looking for a full-time graduate level job, possibly staying long-term, you can do that under the Graduate visa for the first 2 years, but beyond that you would need to switch to the Skilled worker route anyway. If that is your plan, and jobs are available, you can just go straight to Skilled worker without the bridge of the Graduate visa iof you wish. You can either apply in the UK or in your home country.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:37 pm

Rabera wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:11 pm
Or does one visa offer a larger level of advantages?
As previous poster said, depends what you call an advantage, and how important it is to you. If you ask me, I would say, grosso modo the main pros and cons of both route are:

Graduate Visa:

Pros:

1. No sponsorship necessary, which means usually highest likelihood of getting hired due to less hoops for the company to have to jump to hire you. You will usually be a more attractive candidate if you do not need sponsorship. Sad, but true. However, some companies don't see this as a barrier, and are open to sponsor the right candidate, hence why this is highly dependent on the individual's profile and industry. Usually the case in industries where talent is extremely scarce (big tech, cybersecurity, etc.).

2. You can change jobs with no issue! Very undervalued pro as opposed to a sponsored visa. The sponsorship is a double edge knife!

Cons:

1. Graduate Visa years do not count towards settlement. If you intend to settle in the UK, you usually need to complete 5 years in the UK under the 5-year work route OR 10 years in the long residence route. Time spent with a Graduate Visa only counts towards the 10 year route which means... it would take you at least 7 years to settle if you change to a Skilled Worker Route and stay there for 5 years after the 2 years on the Graduate Route. If you do not switch to a Skilled Worker route, but switch instead to other categories (student again, or dependent relative, etc.), then it would take you 10 years to settle.

Skilled Worker

Pros:

1. Counts toward settlement. As explained above, you will qualify faster than if you go for the Graduate Visa first.

Cons:

1. You can't just apply for it. You first have to get a job with a company that sponsors you. That is the hardest bit of all. Not impossible, but hard. Really hard. Many companies refuse to interview candidates who need sponsorship straight away. Again, as I said, some companies are open to sponsor new employees, and again this depends on the industry and your profile, so this might or might not be feasible for you.

2. Even if you do get sponsored, you will be very likely trapped in your job/company for 5 years. This might or might not be a problem for you; but does mean your career can take a hit because for 5 years you might not necessarily be free to make the professional moves you want to do. Do not underestimate this con, because it is a big gone.
I see myself having two options:

1. Cram and finish my dissertation in the next 5-6 weeks (way ahead of submission date and also subject to what my business school permits) so I am able to show completion of degree and apply for grad Route while I’m in the country
I suggest double checking if this is an option at all. Universities have established calendars and deadlines, and the fact that you submit early does not necessarily mean they will get your results early. It might not be a possibility at all.
2. Leave the UK by 4 June 2022. Submit Dissertation at original deadline (30 June 2022) and then apply for Skilled Worker Visa
Again, you can't just apply for a Skilled Worker Visa. You have to have a job offer in your pocket first.
My main question is, am I doing myself a disservice by not doing everything possible to make myself eligible le for the Grad Visa Application Route? Or is the Skilled Worker Visa just as viable if an option?
By simple logic, the best call is to try and get the Graduate Visa; having two options is better than having just one. And again, the Skilled Worker Visa might not be feasible at all if the job market conditions in your industry is no tup for it.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.