ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa- multiple countries stay question

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ShrutiBlue
India

Schengen visa- multiple countries stay question

Post by ShrutiBlue » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:11 pm

Hello,

My husband is currently applying for a Schengen Visa for our upcoming trip. We had initially wanted to go to Spain but due to lack of appointments available we decided to first go to Portugal for a few days and then to Spain. Our dates were as follows:
9th-11th May: Portugal
11th-14th May: Spain

However, during the appointment at the VFS center my husband was told that as there is one extra day of stay in Spain he would either have to apply for the visa with the Spanish embassy or reduce a day in Spain. So I quickly made additional hotel bookings from 11th-13th May in Spain and booked flight tickets to come back on the 13th as well.

My question is- once we get the visa and as we still have the flight tickets booked for the 14th (non-refundable) as well as hotel reservations, would it be ok if we stick to the original plan to come back on the 14th from Spain? Of course this is if the visa is valid beyond the 13th!

vinny

Re: Schengen visa- multiple countries stay question

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:17 am

Cannot stay beyond visa’s validity period.

See also Handbook for the processing of visa applications and the modification of issued visas
Legal basis: Visa Code, Article 5
1.1 Application for a uniform visa for a single entry
Ask them about:
8.2.1 Period of grace
An additional ‘period of grace’ of 15 days should be included in the period of validity of one entry and two entry visas and, multiple entry visas with a validity of less than 90 days to allow for a certain room for manoeuvre for the visa holder.
Unfortunately, some member states do not grant any grace period. While others may appreciate the economic value of tourists and are more generous and flexible.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ShrutiBlue
India

Post by ShrutiBlue » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:24 am

Hi vinny, thanks for replying. Of course we don’t want to stay beyond the visa’s validity. We have applied for a multiple entry visa, I was just wondering that if we get a visa for a longer duration than the trip, in that case if there will be any issues in staying longer in Spain than in Portugal even if the visa was issued by the Portuguese embassy.

ywlgy

Post by ywlgy » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:45 am

After entry into Portugal, you can make whatever changes to your plan as you like.

The tricky part is upon entry. It is possible that they want to see your ticket on the 13th. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:12 pm

Do let us know the visa’s validity period when you get it.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

ShrutiBlue
India

Post by ShrutiBlue » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:32 pm

The visa had been granted, valid for 3 months :)

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:02 pm

Good news!