ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sooze

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Sooze » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:06 pm

JMcA wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:26 pm
Congratulations to everyone who are getting their certificates, I'm June 2020 so hoping it's not too long for me now.

I've searched for an answer to this but can't find it anywhere - what happens when the address confirmation email/phonecall comes through, and you're not at the same address? Do you then have to send proof of your new address?

Thanks all.
Yes, the email says if you have moved since you completed your application you should provide two separate proofs of that new address e.g. original bills, bank statements, government correspondence.

KateAlice13
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by KateAlice13 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:34 pm

Hi,

My sister and I applied for FBR on 26/01/20 and our documents and application were received on 03/02/20. I remember that I had to send in an additional document for my sister's proof of address but that was in Feb 2020, and I phoned them to ask that was okay and they said to just send it recorded delivery. We haven't heard anything since, although I know we should not expect to hear anything until we are asked to confirm our address.
I've seen that people who applied at around the same time as us are receiving news that their applications have been approved and getting their certificates. Anyone have any ideas about whether I should try and contact them and ask or wait another month or so?

jjustyy
Ireland

Post by jjustyy » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:10 pm

KateAlice13 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:34 pm
Hi,

My sister and I applied for FBR on 26/01/20 and our documents and application were received on 03/02/20. I remember that I had to send in an additional document for my sister's proof of address but that was in Feb 2020, and I phoned them to ask that was okay and they said to just send it recorded delivery. We haven't heard anything since, although I know we should not expect to hear anything until we are asked to confirm our address.
I've seen that people who applied at around the same time as us are receiving news that their applications have been approved and getting their certificates. Anyone have any ideas about whether I should try and contact them and ask or wait another month or so?
My documents were received 27/01/20 and I'm yet to be processed. It seems January 2020 saw a lot of applications submitted as there's many of us from that month in the tracker still waiting. By recent postings they appear to be processing 21st/22nd January at the moment. You just need to wait a bit longer, probably a month or so.

Callanish
Newly Registered

Post by Callanish » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:42 am

Hello everyone,
I'm new here and just wanted to say hi.
Like Binky62 (I think I got the name right) I have only just submitted my application to the FBR . Received and email on 28/3/22 to say they had my payment and then on 6/4/22 an email to say they had received my application. Just wondering if anything else is needed for my application what kind of time period is there before they get in touch?
I know the whole process is very long but I feel I can relax once I know that the form and all the documents are all correct and that nothing else is needed.
Thank you in advance 😊

binky62
Newly Registered

Post by binky62 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:48 am

Similar to Callanish I received an email saying they had received my documents this week. It seems they are now doing this to stop people hassling them about if they have got the docs. It's also good to have peace of mind that they are there in the right department :D

Revin Kevin
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Revin Kevin » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:32 pm

binky62 wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:48 am
Similar to Callanish I received an email saying they had received my documents this week. It seems they are now doing this to stop people hassling them about if they have got the docs. It's also good to have peace of mind that they are there in the right department :D
Like a lightbulb came on for them! :roll:

Otto Sump
Newly Registered

Post by Otto Sump » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:50 pm

jjustyy wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:10 pm
KateAlice13 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:34 pm
Hi,

My documents were received 27/01/20 and I'm yet to be processed. It seems January 2020 saw a lot of applications submitted as there's many of us from that month in the tracker still waiting. By recent postings they appear to be processing 21st/22nd January at the moment. You just need to wait a bit longer, probably a month or so.
Mine were also received on 27/01/20 and I have heard nothing since then, so I concur. It'll be interesting to see whether the approvals are clustered together too.

rsw1010
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by rsw1010 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:23 pm

Hello,

I am a Jan 27 2020 applicant and have heard nothing since. Even e-mailed the urgent enquiries in the off chance of an update but again, no reply!

Fingers crossed we will hear soon!

Artwerk
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by Artwerk » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:13 pm

Do we really have to know the witnesses personally? I don't have anyone from the list of professions who could do this, or could I just go to the police station good enough?

JohnL
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by JohnL » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:35 pm

jgclancy wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:04 pm

Once again --my advice is to notarize everything you can & add extra stuff too . More address & ID proof . I even sent a notarized copy of the 1911 Irish Census of my grandfather.

Advice is the same for getting passport-NOTARIZE!....And to answer the most asked question for getting a passport after you complete FBR---YES!...you can send a notarized copy of your passport so you aren't without your passport

Time for a glass of whiskey to celebrate --next up--move to Ireland LOL

Slainte......jgclancy
Congratulations to you, jgclancy - I know it was a long journey and you've helped many along the way.

This is great advice! I wonder if it might be helpful to gather some of these additional documents and send them in after I've sent my initial application package? I have 1901 and 1911 census records for my Grandfather and his family and other original government issued documents for my father, among other things. I've certainly got time to proactively submit an additional doc package and refer to my application number. But I'm afraid without context this might be interpreted as an incomplete application and cast aside. I'd like to do it, but am hesitant. I would have included this in my application package had I known.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Applied and paid 20/06/21 but documents not mailed until March 2022
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Application Based On: Irish born Grandparent
Applied Date: 20/06/21
Application received Date: 29/03/22
Acknowledgement Date: 08/04/22
Second Letter: Pending
Approval: Pending
Date of Ceremony: Pending

joemac41
Ireland

Post by joemac41 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:17 pm

So here is something I learned in the last few days. When I got my approval on Thursday, I alsked about my better half's application, who applied online on Feb. 27, 2020 and the paperwork was sent in sometime in June 2020.

That being said, we were looking for the date recieved and to confirm they got the paperwork, since it was sent when when the offices were closed.

The interesting thing is this. They have her in for Oct. 7, 2020, meaning they didn't log anyone into their system until they reopened their offices in Aug. 2020.

So after the Mar. 2020 applications, we will skip ahead to Aug. 2020 and then take it from there.

So you may not have strict date order of received, because those applications will be based on when they were put into their system in Ireland.

Just FYI for those who sent in during the pandemic.

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:02 am

Echoing the above poster. I submitted my application form in July 2021 but it wasn't registered on the system until late Nov 2021 when the office reopened. Therefore I am using my docs received date of Dec 2021 as the basis of my countdown.

It is frustrating to have to wait so long (although I understand and respect why). It makes planning a bit of nightmare for me. I am applying via my father's father, both of whom are now dead. I am getting worried that perhaps I might get declined as my grandfather might have renounced his Irish citizenship (unlikely but I am a bit of a worrier). I wish there was a way to check this so I could have a bit of certainty to continue in my planning. Does anyone perhaps know if there is a way of checking this?

JohnFBR
Mood:

Post by JohnFBR » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:13 am

I don’t think that matters so I wouldn’t worry about it.
Your dad is Irish because his dad was born on the island of Ireland. Just to check, your father wasn’t born in Ireland?

JohnFBR
Mood:

Post by JohnFBR » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:15 am

Apple10 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:02 am
Echoing the above poster. I submitted my application form in July 2021 but it wasn't registered on the system until late Nov 2021 when the office reopened. Therefore I am using my docs received date of Dec 2021 as the basis of my countdown.

It is frustrating to have to wait so long (although I understand and respect why). It makes planning a bit of nightmare for me. I am applying via my father's father, both of whom are now dead. I am getting worried that perhaps I might get declined as my grandfather might have renounced his Irish citizenship (unlikely but I am a bit of a worrier). I wish there was a way to check this so I could have a bit of certainty to continue in my planning. Does anyone perhaps know if there is a way of checking this?
Great intel! I wonder if they will publicise the fact they have completed all of the pre-Covid applications as a PR win?
From a selfish point of view I wonder if they will make sure all pre-Covid applications are complete before moving on? If they are judging by date any post Covid applications will be months after any pre-lockdown applications.

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:19 am

I think my Grandad came over from Ireland to Scotland with his family as a child. My dad was born in Scotland.

The reason why I was concerned is that my Grandad fought in WW2 with 3 of his brothers, and I wondered if perhaps he needed to be a British citizen to do that? Or renounce his Irish citizenship?

Ad I said I am a worrier!

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:28 am

I assume they will complete all pre-Covid apps first and that the date order is defined on when documents were received as they have stated on their website for the ones that were submitted during covid lockdown periods.

Although you would think if they received an absolute avalanche of apps when the reopened their offices, there must be some prioritization happening to work their way through them e.g. by application date would be sensible. But who knows... They can run their processes as they see fit, who am I to argue. I'm just grateful and lucky this is an option open to me.

ferocious12

Post by ferocious12 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:08 pm

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. We are expecting the little one in couple of months.

Need help on couple of questions:

1. the DoFA website says:

"If the expectant parent is not on the Foreign Births Registrar when the child is born, the child will not be entitled to Irish citizenship."

How can I register?

2. looking at the forum it seems it is taking at least 2 years to process FBR. A passport to the new born will only be issued after the completion of FBR process. What will the child do without passport until that time if helshe has to travel?

Thanks

JohnFBR
Mood:

Post by JohnFBR » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:22 pm

Are you applying on the basis you or your partners grandparent was born on the island or Ireland?

You will need to apply via here https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... ign-birth/
Online then submit all of the paperwork. You will then need to contact them to tell them your expecting a child. You are cutting it really short. Do you have all of the paperwork ready?

You/your future child need to be on the FBR before their birth to be Irish then apply for the passport.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:23 pm

ferocious12 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:08 pm
Hi All,

"If the expectant parent is not on the Foreign Births Registrar when the child is born, the child will not be entitled to Irish citizenship."

How can I register?

2. looking at the forum it seems it is taking at least 2 years to process FBR. A passport to the new born will only be issued after the completion of FBR process. What will the child do without passport until that time if helshe has to travel?

Thanks
Your previous posts signify you're Irish by naturalization.
What's the situation now? Will the child be born on the island of Ireland? Do you have any other nationality?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:38 pm

Apple10 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:19 am
I think my Grandad came over from Ireland to Scotland with his family as a child. My dad was born in Scotland.

The reason why I was concerned is that my Grandad fought in WW2 with 3 of his brothers, and I wondered if perhaps he needed to be a British citizen to do that? Or renounce his Irish citizenship?

I think 70,000 Irish people from the Irish Free State/Republic of Ireland volunteered to fight in WW2 eventhough they were not British. Your concern is unfounded, Don't worry about it. Even to this day Commonwealth nations can join the British army without changing their citizenship/nationality. (yes Ireland is no longer in the Commonwealth)

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:45 pm

ferocious12 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:08 pm
Hi All,

How can I register?

Thanks
I don't think you are in the right forum. Your previous post from 2013 says you are married or going to be married to an Irish citizen. You also have posts in 2017 saying you are a naturalised Irish citizen. So either way your child would be born of Irish citizens already or am I missing something? Once born you register the child to be Irish via FBR. The process won't be expedited.

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:31 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:38 pm
Apple10 wrote:

I think 70,000 Irish people from the Irish Free State/Republic of Ireland volunteered to fight in WW2 eventhough they were not British. Your concern is unfounded, Don't worry about it. Even to this day Commonwealth nations can join the British army without changing their citizenship/nationality. (yes Ireland is no longer in the Commonwealth)

Thanks for the info, nice to know one of my concerns is unfounded. It's a bit difficult doing all this citizenship stuff when all your links to your ancestry are dead...

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:23 pm

Sooze wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:06 pm
JMcA wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:26 pm
Congratulations to everyone who are getting their certificates, I'm June 2020 so hoping it's not too long for me now.

I've searched for an answer to this but can't find it anywhere - what happens when the address confirmation email/phonecall comes through, and you're not at the same address? Do you then have to send proof of your new address?

Thanks all.
Yes, the email says if you have moved since you completed your application you should provide two separate proofs of that new address e.g. original bills, bank statements, government correspondence.
Thanks Sooze. I have a slightly different question about the confirmation of address email. Does the email say if there is a deadline for responding, or what happens if you do not respond? I am going to be totally off the grid for 2 weeks (I'm a Feb 2020). I have not moved, so my address is the same. Will they just wait for a response? Thanks!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:29 pm

Apple10 wrote:

well if he fought in WW2, there's a good chance he was born in Ireland while Ireland was part of the UK. My Grandmother was born in Ireland before 1922 and was such born a UK citizen, she had a UK passport. Also, Ireland iirc was neutral in WW2, so that might explain why he went to UK to join the army which some Irish men did.

Angelo_2019
United States of America

Post by Angelo_2019 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:49 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:23 pm

Thanks Sooze. I have a slightly different question about the confirmation of address email. Does the email say if there is a deadline for responding, or what happens if you do not respond? I am going to be totally off the grid for 2 weeks (I'm a Feb 2020). I have not moved, so my address is the same. Will they just wait for a response? Thanks!
I wouldn't worry about a two week delay, but I would respond when you are able to.

An older post indicated that if you don't reply within 5 days, the DFA policy is to send it to your address when you originally applied, but I have not heard of any cases where this has happened. I would not wait a year to reply, but they are still so backed up that if they have made you wait over 2 years, taking another 2-3 weeks to reply should not be a problem.

Time from confirmation of email ranged from a few days to a month or so late last year, not sure how long it takes now.