ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Angelo_2019
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Angelo_2019 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:56 pm

Artwerk wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:13 pm
Do we really have to know the witnesses personally? I don't have anyone from the list of professions who could do this, or could I just go to the police station good enough?
I'm not sure where you're located, but I would think going to the police station should be good enough.

I'm located in the US and went to notaries at my bank (FBR, passport). My impression is that seeing them in person with ID and talking to them in person is enough to establish that you are a real local person (i.e. not a bot), I did not have any issues with either one. (Aside from processing delays noticeably in excess of all their expected times.)

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:20 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:29 pm
Apple10 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:19 am
I think my Grandad came over from Ireland to Scotland with his family as a child. My dad was born in Scotland.

The reason why I was concerned is that my Grandad fought in WW2 with 3 of his brothers, and I wondered if perhaps he needed to be a British citizen to do that? Or renounce his Irish citizenship?

Ad I said I am a worrier!
well if he fought in WW2, there's a good chance he was born in Ireland while Ireland was part of the UK. My Grandmother was born in Ireland before 1922 and was such born a UK citizen, she had a UK passport. Also, Ireland iirc was neutral in WW2, so that might explain why he went to UK to join the army which some Irish men did.
That's interesting and something to consider. I feel pretty bad though that I am applying to be a citizen of a country and yet I don't really have an understanding of its history e.g. when it became a Republic or even the family history that is making it possible! I think I need to educate myself...

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:30 am

Sooze wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:06 pm
JMcA wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:26 pm
Congratulations to everyone who are getting their certificates, I'm June 2020 so hoping it's not too long for me now.

I've searched for an answer to this but can't find it anywhere - what happens when the address confirmation email/phonecall comes through, and you're not at the same address? Do you then have to send proof of your new address?

Thanks all.
Yes, the email says if you have moved since you completed your application you should provide two separate proofs of that new address e.g. original bills, bank statements, government correspondence.
I'm Feb 14, 2020 so I'm hoping to hear something soon. I have moved since I submitted. Does anyone know if a printout of a utility bills considered "an original"? All of my bills and banking is done online. I don't actually have any bills etc that are mailed to me.

JoannaKJ
Newly Registered

Post by JoannaKJ » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:27 am

Apple10 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:20 pm
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Apple10 wrote:
I think my Grandad came over from Ireland to Scotland with his family as a child. My dad was born in Scotland.

The reason why I was concerned is that my Grandad fought in WW2 with 3 of his brothers, and I wondered if perhaps he needed to be a British citizen to do that? Or renounce his Irish citizenship?

well if he fought in WW2, there's a good chance he was born in Ireland while Ireland was part of the UK. My Grandmother was born in Ireland before 1922 and was such born a UK citizen, she had a UK passport. Also, Ireland iirc was neutral in WW2, so that might explain why he went to UK to join the army which some Irish men did.
That's interesting and something to consider. I feel pretty bad though that I am applying to be a citizen of a country and yet I don't really have an understanding of its history e.g. when it became a Republic or even the family history that is making it possible! I think I need to educate myself...
I love this post. I too need to educate myself - I am applying based on my grandfather who even my mother didn’t remember as he died when she was tiny. When searching for his birth and death certificates I learned things she never knew, so now I want to go to his village, his county, his country - basically pay my respects.

ferocious12

Post by ferocious12 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:49 am

meself2 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:23 pm
ferocious12 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:08 pm
Hi All,

I am new to the forum. We are expecting the little one in couple of months.

Need help on couple of questions:

1. the DoFA website says:

"If the expectant parent is not on the Foreign Births Registrar when the child is born, the child will not be entitled to Irish citizenship."

How can I register?

2. looking at the forum it seems it is taking at least 2 years to process FBR. A passport to the new born will only be issued after the completion of FBR process. What will the child do without passport until that time if helshe has to travel?

Thanks
Your previous posts signify you're Irish by naturalization.
What's the situation now? Will the child be born on the island of Ireland? Do you have any other nationality?
Thanks. I am naturalised Irish citizen and the baby will born outside Ireland

ferocious12

Post by ferocious12 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:52 am

Mr_Knight wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:45 pm
ferocious12 wrote:
Hi All,

"If the expectant parent is not on the Foreign Births Registrar when the child is born, the child will not be entitled to Irish citizenship."

How can I register?

2. looking at the forum it seems it is taking at least 2 years to process FBR. A passport to the new born will only be issued after the completion of FBR process. What will the child do without passport until that time if helshe has to travel?

Thanks
I don't think you are in the right forum. Your previous post from 2013 says you are married or going to be married to an Irish citizen. You also have posts in 2017 saying you are a naturalised Irish citizen. So either way your child would be born of Irish citizens already or am I missing something? Once born you register the child to be Irish via FBR. The process won't be expedited.

I am naturalised Irish citizen and the baby will born outside Ireland. The website says:

We are expecting the baby in couple of months. Where I need to register the mother to be on this register?

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:30 am

ferocious12 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:52 am
Mr_Knight wrote:
ferocious12 wrote:
Hi All,

How can I register?

Thanks
I don't think you are in the right forum. Your previous post from 2013 says you are married or going to be married to an Irish citizen. You also have posts in 2017 saying you are a naturalised Irish citizen. So either way your child would be born of Irish citizens already or am I missing something? Once born you register the child to be Irish via FBR. The process won't be expedited.

I am naturalised Irish citizen and the baby will born outside Ireland. The website says:

We are expecting the baby in couple of months. Where I need to register the mother to be on this register?
No. This process applies to people that are not yet citizens. Once your child is born you can apply on behalf of the child to be registered as an Irish citizen born of naturalised Irish citizens, Not parents registered on the FBR.

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:47 am

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:30 am
I'm Feb 14, 2020 so I'm hoping to hear something soon. I have moved since I submitted. Does anyone know if a printout of a utility bills considered "an original"? All of my bills and banking is done online. I don't actually have any bills etc that are mailed to me.
From what I have read you scan & send the document attached directly to the email they communicated with you.

Sooze

Post by Sooze » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:17 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:23 pm
Sooze wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:06 pm
JMcA wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:26 pm
Congratulations to everyone who are getting their certificates, I'm June 2020 so hoping it's not too long for me now.

I've searched for an answer to this but can't find it anywhere - what happens when the address confirmation email/phonecall comes through, and you're not at the same address? Do you then have to send proof of your new address?

Thanks all.
Yes, the email says if you have moved since you completed your application you should provide two separate proofs of that new address e.g. original bills, bank statements, government correspondence.
Thanks Sooze. I have a slightly different question about the confirmation of address email. Does the email say if there is a deadline for responding, or what happens if you do not respond? I am going to be totally off the grid for 2 weeks (I'm a Feb 2020). I have not moved, so my address is the same. Will they just wait for a response? Thanks!
I doubt very much that two weeks will bother them - they will just crack on with the next application while they wait I would assume.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:05 pm

ferocious12 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:52 am
Mr_Knight wrote:
ferocious12 wrote:
Hi All,

How can I register?

Thanks

If the father of the baby was born in Ireland, then the baby is an Irish citizen and just needs to apply for a passport. FBR applies to second generation children born outside of Ireland, not first generation ( as I understand it). This is from the dfa.ie website:

"Am I an Irish citizen?

If you or your parent were born on the island of Ireland before 2005, you are an Irish citizen. You can apply for an Irish passport without making an application for citizenship.

brainiacghost

Post by brainiacghost » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:48 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
ferocious12 wrote:
Hi All,

How can I register?

Thanks
If the father was not born on the Island or Ireland, the FBR process would be expedited if otherwise the child would be stateless (this was confirmed several times via Simon Covney) in that situation, start the process off as soon as possible after the child is born, and contact the FBR team via the webchat to arrange for the application to be expedited.
Last edited by brainiacghost on Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:18 pm

brainiacghost wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:48 pm
Mr_Knight wrote:
ferocious12 wrote:
Hi All,

How can I register?

Thanks
If the father was not born on the Island or Ireland, the FBR process would be expedited if otherwise the child would be stateless (this was confirmed several times via Simon Covney) in that situation, start the process off as soon as possible after the child is born, and contact the FBR team via the webchat to arrange for the application to be expedited.
That's a great point as well. I think the web chat function is gone, and it's only the phone number. But this situation certainly qualifies for emergency expedited processing.

Just as an aside, I often over the past 2 years, have thought about the fact that if my mother (who was born in London to an Irish mother) had been born in Ireland instead, I wouldn't have had to deal with any of this! oh well!

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:19 pm

The reason an FBR application is sped-up is so that the next generation will not miss the opportunity to become Irish.
If you are already Irish by naturalisation your next generation will not miss the oppertunity to become Irish so the process wont be sped-up for unborn children. They unfortunately must wait in line like everyone else I'm afraid.
Attachments
FBR01.png
FBR01.png (88.75 KiB) Viewed 2054 times

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:05 pm

brainiacghost wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:48 pm
Mr_Knight wrote:
ferocious12 wrote:
Hi All,

How can I register?

Thanks
we don't know if parents kept their original nationality and if that's the case, child certainly won't be stateless
or birth certificate can possibly be used instead of a passport initially
and yeah, I think expedited ones is to make sure another generation can avail of FBR
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

brainiacghost

Post by brainiacghost » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:39 am

Mr_Knight wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:19 pm
The reason an FBR application is sped-up is so that the next generation will not miss the opportunity to become Irish.
If you are already Irish by naturalisation your next generation will not miss the oppertunity to become Irish so the process wont be sped-up for unborn children. They unfortunately must wait in line like everyone else I'm afraid.
The other reason an FBR application can be sped up is to avoid stateless persons. If the child would otherwise be stateless (for example, original citizenship revoked or given up), then the FBR process can be expedited. My post and Simon Covney's statements make that clear. This might not be likely, but it is a possibility and one that should be higlighted, rather than incorrectly asserting, as you have, that the only situation in which an application will be sped up is for unborn children who will otherwise miss the opportunity to become irish.

Ella50
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by Ella50 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:46 pm

Hi, I am about to begin the FBR process. My granny was born in Northern Ireland so I think that automatically makes my father an Irish citizen technically though he was born in the UK. I also don't think he has ever taken up citizenship but as we are estranged, I can't check.

I am a bit wary of sending off all these original documents and have a couple of questions.

1. Do I need to put the application number on the back of all these docs to make sure they link back to my application?

2. Did you send your documents tracked from the UK?

3. How did you get your docs back? Do you have to send a stamped addressed envelope or is it all in the fee and they just return them?

Thank you for your helpful advice.

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:11 pm

Ella50 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:46 pm
1. Do I need to put the application number on the back of all these docs to make sure they link back to my application?

3. How did you get your docs back? Do you have to send a stamped addressed envelope or is it all in the fee and they just return them?
You dont need to put your application number on the back of all your documents. It is prudent to send documents tracked & should cost less than a tenner. They just return your documents at the end of the process. You should have a cover letter explaining the parental estrangement and sworn statement /affidavit attesting to the fact.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:45 pm

Ella50 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:46 pm
Hi, I am about to begin the FBR process. My granny was born in Northern Ireland so I think that automatically makes my father an Irish citizen technically though he was born in the UK. I also don't think he has ever taken up citizenship but as we are estranged, I can't check.

I am a bit wary of sending off all these original documents and have a couple of questions.

Thank you for your helpful advice.
My family is the same. My Grandmother was born in Ireland, my mother was born in London. My mother is automatically an Irish citizen, same as your father. This is the language from the DFA.ie site:

"If you or your parent were born on the island of Ireland before 2005, you are an Irish citizen. You can apply for an Irish passport without making an application for citizenship."

Whether or not he ever gets an Irish passport, he's an Irish citizen. You will need witnessed copies of his photo ID, which may not be available if you're estranged. As mentioned before, you can provide a cover letter/affidavit explaining the situation.

mmccarthy404
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mmccarthy404 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:25 pm

Have many February 2020 applicants started hearing back yet? It seems like we've been stuck in January 2020 for months :lol:

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:18 pm

mmccarthy404 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:25 pm
Have many February 2020 applicants started hearing back yet? It seems like we've been stuck in January 2020 for months :lol:
I'm Feb 14, 2020. Haven't heard a peep.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:22 pm

I have a question about the mailing of the FBR cert.
I'm a Feb 14,2020 applicant, I expect to hear from FBR by June (hopefully).

In mid June, my family is going to Europe for 7 weeks for the summer. Given the timing of everything, it seems nearly impossible that I will receive my cert in the mail before we leave. I'm worried that my FBR cert will arrive while I am not at home. Couple of questions:

1) Does someone have to sign for the cert?
2) Can I have the cert sent somewhere else, other than my address? Like to my mother's house, and she can sign for it.
3) Is it possible to pick up the cert in Ireland? I could potentially fly over there and get it.

Having the cert arrive and be sent back I'm guessing would add weeks at least to the process, and delay my passport application til fall, meaning I'd be lucky to get the passport by the end of the year.
Thanks for any input.

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:02 pm

JoannaKJ wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:27 am
Apple10 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:20 pm
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Apple10 wrote:

I love this post. I too need to educate myself - I am applying based on my grandfather who even my mother didn’t remember as he died when she was tiny. When searching for his birth and death certificates I learned things she never knew, so now I want to go to his village, his county, his country - basically pay my respects.
Snap! I found out my Grandad was 1 of 9. 8 brothers and 1 sister. Sadly 4 brothers went to war, and only 2 came back alive. One of the brothers who died is honoured on a war memorial in Kilmun in Scotland. I will totally be going to see it, as you said, to pay my respects.

I had no idea I even had an Irish connection. The only reason I suspected was because of my surname which is very specific to an area of Ireland.

martingeorge
Newly Registered

Post by martingeorge » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:41 am

Hi all

My docs received in Balbriggan on 3 February 2020. Nothing received since then, but still hopeful and checking each day. Best wishes to all Martin

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:19 am

mmccarthy404 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:25 pm
I am only aware of one Feb 2020 applicant being approved (outside pregnancy) and this seemed like a huge anomaly - it was something like 15 Feb against no-one else in Feb hearing anything.

Interestingly, I was chatting to a November 2019 applicant who was approved in September 2021 - so around 30 weeks ago - and November 2019 to Feb 2020 are clearly only around 16 weeks away in real terms - demonstrating just how many applications were received in Dec 2019 - Jan 2020

We know that they have processed 3,000 applications so far in 2022 - or had done on the last update - so they are on track to process 12,000 this year from a backlog of around 33,000. We also know that passport applications are going through the roof - so huge pressure on them

Sooze

Post by Sooze » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:02 pm

It's finally happened - we have the emails confirming that my children's applications have been accepted! 2 years 4 months later! :D