ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by BrexitEscapee » Tue May 03, 2022 4:14 pm

rsw1010 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:50 pm
Hello,

Jan 27 2020 applicant here (when documents were received)

After almost 2.5 years of no contact, I finally got some sort of news today- that they are processing my application- however, my birth certificate "is not the original".

I sent a copy of my birth cert as my original is quite old and has been ripped/ dog eared over the years so did not want it to be damaged further, however they now want that original copy. I've sent them a photo to show how old and dog eared it is, hoping they may accept that as proof. I really hope this does not delay things further!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
'Original' doesn't mean a certificate that you were given at birth. It just means a copy that you've got direct from the authorities (as opposed to photocopying yourself.) in the case of the UK, this will be from the General Records Office. Nobody ever gets the 'original' because that is an official register which is kept centrally - we only ever got 'certified copies' of entries in that register. You can have as many certified copies as you like - you just need to apply from the following website and pay £11 for each one: https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-dea ... ertificate

You're in danger of messing up your application at this point - if I were you, I'd contact them, apologise for the confusion and tell them you'll be sending them an 'original' - i.e. a certified copy. Then post your dog-eared version to them. You'll get it back after they've processed your application. And even if it gets lost in the post, you can always pay £11 and get another one. Alternatively, you could order a new copy and send that, but this will take a week or two to get to you, and I'd be concerned that in the mean time your application would either be rejected or put back in the queue.

rsw1010
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by rsw1010 » Tue May 03, 2022 4:52 pm

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:14 pm
rsw1010 wrote:
Hello,

Jan 27 2020 applicant here (when documents were received)

After almost 2.5 years of no contact, I finally got some sort of news today- that they are processing my application- however, my birth certificate "is not the original".

I sent a copy of my birth cert as my original is quite old and has been ripped/ dog eared over the years so did not want it to be damaged further, however they now want that original copy. I've sent them a photo to show how old and dog eared it is, hoping they may accept that as proof. I really hope this does not delay things further!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
'Original' doesn't mean a certificate that you were given at birth. It just means a copy that you've got direct from the authorities (as opposed to photocopying yourself.) in the case of the UK, this will be from the General Records Office. Nobody ever gets the 'original' because that is an official register which is kept centrally - we only ever got 'certified copies' of entries in that register. You can have as many certified copies as you like - you just need to apply from the following website and pay £11 for each one: https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-dea ... ertificate

You're in danger of messing up your application at this point - if I were you, I'd contact them, apologise for the confusion and tell them you'll be sending them an 'original' - i.e. a certified copy. Then post your dog-eared version to them. You'll get it back after they've processed your application. And even if it gets lost in the post, you can always pay £11 and get another one. Alternatively, you could order a new copy and send that, but this will take a week or two to get to you, and I'd be concerned that in the mean time your application would either be rejected or put back in the queue.

Thanks for the reply.

The copy I did send was a paid for certified copy of my original, hence why I am confused as to why they are now asking for the original. I've sent a pdf photo of my old original to check if they are happy for me to send it. Either way, I best get looking for the original and hope it doesn't delay my application further.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Tue May 03, 2022 5:08 pm

rsw1010 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:52 pm
Thanks for the reply.

The copy I did send was a paid for certified copy of my original, hence why I am confused as to why they are now asking for the original. I've sent a pdf photo of my old original to check if they are happy for me to send it. Either way, I best get looking for the original and hope it doesn't delay my application further.
If the copy you sent was one that you'd obtained direct from the GRO for £11, as described above, then the only other thing I can think may have gone wrong is that this wasn't a 'long form' birth certificate. The words 'long form' are mentioned in a few DFA websites, such as this one: https://www.dfa.ie/irish-consulate/newy ... ion-guide/

However, on the DFA's main FBR application page, they just use the words 'Original civil birth certificate (showing parental details)' If your copy wasn't a 'long form' version, that might mean it doesn't include your parents' details? Check and see if it does. Other than that, I'm stumped - the £11-from-GRO certificate is what I used for me, my parents and grandparents and I had no problem.

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Tue May 03, 2022 5:52 pm

rsw1010 wrote:
I sent a copy of my birth cert as my original is quite old and has been ripped
A COPY of the original will not be accepted by them. It has to be the document that you can get from your local county/registry/government office as mentioned above. Personally I would get a fresh one ordered as priority from GRO website for £38 next working day delivery. Then send it to them as soon as possible.

rsw1010
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by rsw1010 » Tue May 03, 2022 5:58 pm

Hi again

*update*

I raced to my parents house and scrambled around to look for my birth certificate to find the certified copy that I ordered back in 2020.

So the copy they do have is my dog eared old one, which I was convinced I sent in. It does look like a photocopy but it is in the long form and is the original from the day I was registered back in 1987. So I hope they accept it!

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Tue May 03, 2022 8:44 pm

GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:42 pm
MKCG wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:12 pm

Does the kids count in this situation also?
Children, yes.
Here's the link from that email:
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... dex_en.htm
Under EU rules, you have the right to travel together with your core family members (non-EU spouse, children, dependent parents or dependent grandparents) to an EU country other than the one you are a national of. If you have moved to another EU country, they can also join you there.

Oh good
This will be a nice wee extra benefit for us. We were in Rome last weekend, the uk/usa/Canada passport control queue when leaving Italy was really long & slow. The Irish/EU queue was empty.

SaltEire
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by SaltEire » Wed May 04, 2022 11:18 am

Fabulous news to share! I just received the address check for the FBR application for my three children. We applied in Dec 2019 and our paperwork receipt email confirmation was dated Jan 27 2020.

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Wed May 04, 2022 1:09 pm

SaltEire wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:18 am
Fabulous news to share! I just received the address check for the FBR application for my three children. We applied in Dec 2019 and our paperwork receipt email confirmation was dated Jan 27 2020.
Congratulations! I love reading about people getting registered. Hope the kids enjoy their new found nationality

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Wed May 04, 2022 7:31 pm

SaltEire wrote:
Congrats

Sounds like they are Still only working on jan 20 applications . Thot they would be into late feb or early March by now

Seems to be slowing up a fair bit again :(

hfeenstra
Newly Registered

Post by hfeenstra » Wed May 04, 2022 9:17 pm

Hi all,

My sisters and I are preparing our application through our grandmother. Our problem is that all of her passport expired in 2015 and she is pretty much bed bound in a nursing home now. She's never had a driving licence and is too old and infirm to renew her passport. Can anyone advise regarding what to do if we don't have current photo ID?

Themag62
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Themag62 » Thu May 05, 2022 6:28 am

Those in the know.
Can someone explain what happens after you are contacted to verify your address?
If it is different than on the application, you must upload a photo ID with the current address?
Do they accept anything but a photo ID with the new address?

Is a paper citizenship document then mailed to you, along with return of your birth certificates and other documents? By regular post or express mail certified or what?

How long is it taking to get the passport after?

I want to be prepared with if I EVER get the email. Thanks so much!
Application accepted February 17,2020

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Thu May 05, 2022 5:56 pm

hfeenstra wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:17 pm
My sisters and I are preparing our application through our grandmother. Our problem is that all of her passport expired in 2015 and she is pretty much bed bound in a nursing home now. She's never had a driving licence and is too old and infirm to renew her passport. Can anyone advise regarding what to do if we don't have current photo ID?
I have previously read here that a cover letter from you explaining the situation & a letter from her doctor/GP attesting to what you have said should be included in your application. (Personally I would include a copy of the expired passports aswell)

walter3ca
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by walter3ca » Fri May 06, 2022 2:59 am

And I would notarize everything.

JohnFBR
Mood:

Post by JohnFBR » Fri May 06, 2022 7:55 am

Have any of the Feb 2020 applications been approved yet?
26Months+ now 🙈

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Fri May 06, 2022 9:24 am

hfeenstra wrote:
Hi all,

You'd have to check but just because that document is expired doesn't mean that they won't accept it as proof. I'm sure this has been covered on this board before and someone else was successful with the expired ID for their parents. Like I say, please check with them first.

Con_Phillips
Newly Registered

Post by Con_Phillips » Fri May 06, 2022 1:37 pm

hfeenstra wrote:
Hi all,

I had the same issue as yourself, my grandmother is in her late nineties and doesn't hold any valid ID.

I asked the FBR team and this was their response:

"A witnessed copy of any state issued document (in date) is acceptable as photo ID (Passport, drivers licence etc.).

It is appreciated that your grandparent may be elderly and may not have a valid ID so if you could get a letter on headed notepaper from their doctor stating their date of birth, place of residence and have it signed and stamped by their doctor will be acceptable instead. If an expired ID/passport is available, please attach a photocopy of this to the above letter."

I had my application approved in April 2022 (last month) without a hitch, with a letter from her GP (detailing the above) in place of my grandmother's ID. :)

SaltEire
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by SaltEire » Fri May 06, 2022 2:08 pm

MKCG wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 7:31 pm
SaltEire wrote:
Congrats

Sounds like they are Still only working on jan 20 applications . Thot they would be into late feb or early March by now

Seems to be slowing up a fair bit again :(
I heard there were excessive amounts of applications from January 2020 which has slowed progression a bit

Alk1978
Newly Registered

Post by Alk1978 » Fri May 06, 2022 2:25 pm

Yes, I’m one of them - Jan 30th. I can’t think now that there was any actual real deadline, but the withdrawal agreement in December seemed to spur an awful lot of us on to start our application towards regaining our EU citizenship and passports. I think c. Jan 15th 2020 - end of Feb will likely have a huge spike as evidence folders arrived. Frustrating, feels so very very close but as ever I’ll just keep checking the board for news.

Alk1978
Newly Registered

Post by Alk1978 » Fri May 06, 2022 2:25 pm

Yes, I’m one of them - Jan 30th. I can’t think now that there was any actual real deadline, but the withdrawal agreement in December seemed to spur an awful lot of us on to start our application towards regaining our EU citizenship and passports. I think c. Jan 15th 2020 - end of Feb will likely have a huge spike as evidence folders arrived. Frustrating, feels so very very close but as ever I’ll just keep checking the board for news.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sat May 07, 2022 7:18 pm

Curious, FBR seems to have removed all contact methods except the phone number. It says on 1 page,

"We recently setup a new Customer Services Hub. This hub manages all queries related to Foreign Birth Registration and passport applications."

However, when you go to the DFA page with the number, it still says its for "urgent queries".

"The contact number for urgent Foreign Birth Registration queries as described above is +353 1 568 3331."

Has anyone used this number recently? I have a question about the delivery of my FBR cert when it comes, which by their definition is not urgent, but is very important as it may affect my ability to receive my cert when it's mailed.

Anyone have any experience or ideas regarding contacting them?

joemac41
Ireland

Post by joemac41 » Mon May 09, 2022 8:44 am

Ok I just got the Approval and post email today:

Timeline:

Online Application 17 Dec 2019
Received in Ireland 22 Jan 2020
Request for Address 19 Apr 2022
Approval and Mail Alert 9 May 2022

Just out of curiosity for those who have been through this. Do they send you a tracking number so I know when to be home?

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon May 09, 2022 5:19 pm

joemac41 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:44 am
Ok I just got the Approval and post email today:

Timeline:

Online Application 17 Dec 2019
Received in Ireland 22 Jan 2020
Request for Address 19 Apr 2022
Approval and Mail Alert 9 May 2022

Just out of curiosity for those who have been through this. Do they send you a tracking number so I know when to be home?
Congrats Joe!
Seems like they're still working through a bulk of Jan 2020 applications. Us Feb people are waiting patiently for our turn at bat.

hfeenstra
Newly Registered

Post by hfeenstra » Mon May 09, 2022 9:02 pm

Thanks to all who have helped with my previous query. I have another question. My mother's middle name is spelt Teresa but on my registration form I mistakenly spelt it Theresa with an H. I submitted, paid for and printed the application before I realised. Is this likely to jeopardise my entire application? Should I cross out the H on the printout or just leave it?

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Tue May 10, 2022 5:35 am

hfeenstra wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:02 pm
Thanks to all who have helped with my previous query. I have another question. My mother's middle name is spelt Teresa but on my registration form I mistakenly spelt it Theresa with an H. I submitted, paid for and printed the application before I realised. Is this likely to jeopardise my entire application? Should I cross out the H on the printout or just leave it?
I put my grandmother’s date of birth in wrong on my application. I crossed it out, amended it and sent the application in with a cover letter explaining my mistake. I’m now an Irish citizen. This is what they told me to do when I called them up (in the days when there was actually a phone line).

RandomUsername123
Newly Registered

Post by RandomUsername123 » Tue May 10, 2022 3:28 pm

Hi guys, quick question regarding the witnessing ... I'd rather not risk getting it done wrong. Is it just a case of having them sign the items stating "I certify that this person is this person" Type of thing? Then I assume they just sign and date the application form or something?