ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Application Discussion 2022

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

_pikachu
Mood:
United States of America

Re: Passport Application Discussion 2022

Post by _pikachu » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:16 am

meself2 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:46 am
_pikachu wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:27 am
NF13 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:27 am
Notarized documents if accepted by applicants outside Ireland then should be accepted within Ireland also. Otherwise, it is biased to give special treatment isnt it?
Born citizens of Ireland can move to another country and not inform the State of this. Naturalised citizens have to inform the State if they move abroad, not sure if it's forever or for the first 7 years of naturalisation. Seems bias, but that's the way it goes.
If they're out of the country for more than 7 years, they have to submit a declaration that they want to keep their citizenship annually, so it's the first way.

The form says

"This form is only for naturalised Irish citizens residing abroad, who were not granted a
certificate of naturalisation as a person of Irish descent or associations.

Section 19 (1) (c) of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956, as amended, provides that
the Minister for Justice and Equality may revoke a certificate of naturalisation if he is satisfied
that (except in the case of a certificate of naturalisation which is issued to a person of Irish
descent or associations) the person to whom it is granted has been ordinarily resident outside
the State or, in the case of an application for a certificate of naturalisation granted under section
15A, resident outside the island of Ireland (otherwise than in the public service) for a continuous
period of seven years AND without reasonable excuse has not during that period registered
annually in the prescribed manner (using this form)
his/her name and a declaration of his/her
intention to retain Irish citizenship with an Irish diplomatic mission or consular office or with the
Minister"

It has to be filled out annually for naturalised folks who weren't naturalised by descent or associations. An example of how some things apply to certain citizens and not another. It's why I'm a bit curious to know if those without FBR/associates, who are living in Ireland, had any luck with submitting only notarised copies. Could be helpful for future passport applicants. :D

NF13
Ireland

Post by NF13 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:00 pm

meself2 wrote:
_pikachu wrote:
NF13 wrote:
Notarized documents if accepted by applicants outside Ireland then should be accepted within Ireland also. Otherwise, it is biased to give special treatment isnt it?
Born citizens of Ireland can move to another country and not inform the State of this. Naturalised citizens have to inform the State if they move abroad, not sure if it's forever or for the first 7 years of naturalisation. Seems bias, but that's the way it goes.
If they're out of the country for more than 7 years, they have to submit a declaration that they want to keep their citizenship annually, so it's the first way.

I was referring to the passport application. If its ok for people outside Ireland to send certified copies of their passport then it should apply the same to people within Ireland to send in certified copies of their passport so we can hold on to our original passport.

amolbawate
Ireland

Post by amolbawate » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:58 pm

NF13 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:00 pm
meself2 wrote:
_pikachu wrote:
NF13 wrote:

I was referring to the passport application. If its ok for people outside Ireland to send certified copies of their passport then it should apply the same to people within Ireland to send in certified copies of their passport so we can hold on to our original passport.
I have applied for my first passport in March 2022 and I didn't submitted my original passport only certified copies for front and last page. I am based in Dublin and was in Dublin when I applied for passport.

My application has passed the document verification stage two weeks back. So far they haven't asked me my original passport.

I spoke to customer support on Friday 15th April and was confirmed that my application is with entitlement team and next stage will be printing.

NF13
Ireland

Post by NF13 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:34 pm

_pikachu wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:16 am
meself2 wrote:
_pikachu wrote:
NF13 wrote:

The form says

"This form is only for naturalised Irish citizens residing abroad, who were not granted a
certificate of naturalisation as a person of Irish descent or associations.

Section 19 (1) (c) of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956, as amended, provides that
the Minister for Justice and Equality may revoke a certificate of naturalisation if he is satisfied
that (except in the case of a certificate of naturalisation which is issued to a person of Irish
descent or associations) the person to whom it is granted has been ordinarily resident outside
the State or, in the case of an application for a certificate of naturalisation granted under section
15A, resident outside the island of Ireland (otherwise than in the public service) for a continuous
period of seven years AND without reasonable excuse has not during that period registered
annually in the prescribed manner (using this form)
his/her name and a declaration of his/her
intention to retain Irish citizenship with an Irish diplomatic mission or consular office or with the
Minister"

It has to be filled out annually for naturalised folks who weren't naturalised by descent or associations. An example of how some things apply to certain citizens and not another. It's why I'm a bit curious to know if those without FBR/associates, who are living in Ireland, had any luck with submitting only notarised copies. Could be helpful for future passport applicants. :D

How would they know if you stay outside Ireland and not declare?

I thought once you become naturalised you have the same rights as the Irish citizens. Irish citizens can go anywhere without declaring - This is really unfair for naturalised folks!

_pikachu
Mood:
United States of America

Post by _pikachu » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:23 pm

amolbawate wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:58 pm

I have applied for my first passport in March 2022 and I didn't submitted my original passport only certified copies for front and last page. I am based in Dublin and was in Dublin when I applied for passport.

My application has passed the document verification stage two weeks back. So far they haven't asked me my original passport.

I spoke to customer support on Friday 15th April and was confirmed that my application is with entitlement team and next stage will be printing.
Oooh, that's excellent news. Hopefully it goes through. I applied in March 2022, living in Ireland, and currently in the processing stage for two weeks thus far. The live chat said today I'm at the end of the processing stage, all is well, and they don't need my original passport anymore since I'm pass that stage/they're sending the original back. :lol:
A relief to know holidays will commence.

GoWentGone123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by GoWentGone123 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:37 pm

Hi guys! Printed the passport application verification form and its say to send the documents by registered post. Does that mean "Passport Express" service is not there anymore?

_pikachu
Mood:
United States of America

Post by _pikachu » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:19 am

meself2 wrote:
_pikachu wrote:
NF13 wrote:
If you are naturalised and it is not by association or FBR, one must fill the form out yearly when living abroad. Learned all about this because I'm moving soon for college.

_pikachu
Mood:
United States of America

Post by _pikachu » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:38 am

GoWentGone123 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:37 pm
Hi guys! Printed the passport application verification form and its say to send the documents by registered post. Does that mean "Passport Express" service is not there anymore?
Note entirely sure, but to my understanding, Passport Express is an in-person service that has to be booked in advance and can't be done if one already applied online for a passport. It's for renewals and not first time applicants. First time applications can not be expedited. Applying for a passport online/submitting additional documents via post is quicker than filling out the physical form that can be found at the gardai station/downloaded from online.

Here are two links with more information

This one discusses how to apply for Passport Express
https://www.dfa.ie/passports/urgentappointment/

This one mentions first time applications can not be expedited.
https://www.dfa.ie/passports/how-to-app ... king-days/

SamH
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by SamH » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:55 pm

amolbawate wrote:
NF13 wrote:
meself2 wrote:
_pikachu wrote:
NF13 wrote:

@Zancolfry and amolbawate:

Could you please let us know if you've been successful with your passport applications by including certified copies of your home country passports?

I've submitted my online passport application, and now have to send in my supporting documentation - I was also under the impression from the guide received with my naturalisation certificate, and the passport application itself, that I didn't have to send in my original home passport. It was only when I downloaded the application printout (Cover Page, Identity Verificaiton, etc.) that I discovered that it requests my original home country passport.

I have to travel for work in the next couple of weeks so can't be without my own passport!

PS. I have a PSC card - the application process tells me this is the best way for them to verify my identity

Thanks very much!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:55 pm

A certified copy of passport is also accepted.
PSC cannot be accepted without either the original or certified copy of passport.

SamH
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by SamH » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:03 pm

Thanks very much Littlerr!

Good to have a definitive answer - the person I spoke to on the Customer Service Hub adivsed me to "chance it and see how it goes"!!

amolbawate
Ireland

Post by amolbawate » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:12 pm

SamH wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:55 pm
amolbawate wrote:
NF13 wrote:
meself2 wrote:
_pikachu wrote:
NF13 wrote:

Could you please let us know if you've been successful with your passport applications by including certified copies of your home country passports?

I've submitted my online passport application, and now have to send in my supporting documentation - I was also under the impression from the guide received with my naturalisation certificate, and the passport application itself, that I didn't have to send in my original home passport. It was only when I downloaded the application printout (Cover Page, Identity Verificaiton, etc.) that I discovered that it requests my original home country passport.

I have to travel for work in the next couple of weeks so can't be without my own passport!

PS. I have a PSC card - the application process tells me this is the best way for them to verify my identity

Thanks very much!
My application is in Processing stage for last 3 weeks, the verification stage was passed successfully. The expected date of passport is 04 May 2022.

Following documents were sent for first time passport:
Application form
Original Psc card
Copy of front and back of Psc card
Certified copy of first and last page of Indian passport
Original Bank statement -- Proof of name
Original letter I received from NDLS for renewing my license -- Proof of address
Original letter I received with my naturalization certificate (which was signed by Helen McEntee) -- Proof of address
Naturalization Certificate
Original birth certificate (non laminated)

Haven't received any communication yet from passport office but I spoke to customer support and everything seems to be fine and on track.

Will keep posted as soon as I hear anything from passport office.

Zancolfry
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Zancolfry » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:59 am

SamH wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:55 pm
amolbawate wrote:
NF13 wrote:
meself2 wrote:
_pikachu wrote:
NF13 wrote:

Thanks very much!
My application is still in the "verifying documents" stage. I have my fingers crossed that the certified copy of the passport will work. I was in the same boat - I have work travel and then a vacation that has been booked for over a year. If they refuse to process my application using the certified copy of the passport, then I will send it in after my travel is complete. 

brainiacghost

Post by brainiacghost » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:11 am

Applied on the 11th, but wasn't able to get certified copies of the documents sent off until the 22nd, I've had delivery confirmation that they arrived on Monday 25th, but the tracker is still showing:
Passport Tracker wrote:Alert
We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.
I'm hoping it won't be long before it updates!

corkms
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by corkms » Tue May 03, 2022 9:13 am

When providing supporting documentation for a first time passport (5yr non-eu naturalisation), do the letters from Social Protection or Revenue need to be dated within a certain timeframe (past 30 days, or something like that)?

johnpromise01
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by johnpromise01 » Tue May 03, 2022 10:21 am

My passport expected issue date is in the next 3 days. What could happen after the expected issue date expire without issuing it? Stuck on Processing application for weeks and never change to printing even though i've received my original document upon request. Any idea what could happen after the expected issue date passed?

G Dog
Ireland

Post by G Dog » Tue May 03, 2022 4:26 pm

johnpromise01 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:21 am
My passport expected issue date is in the next 3 days. What could happen after the expected issue date expire without issuing it? Stuck on Processing application for weeks and never change to printing even though i've received my original document upon request. Any idea what could happen after the expected issue date passed?
It's just a matter of waiting. I've been there before and you have to remember it is only an estimated issue date - last time I was in the queue it was 4 weeks after the estimated date before there was any change. Hopefully the next stage for you is 'printing'.

NF13
Ireland

Post by NF13 » Tue May 03, 2022 10:14 pm

Finally almost there!

Applied and paid online: 30/04/2022
Documents posted: 03/05/2022

johnpromise01
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by johnpromise01 » Wed May 04, 2022 7:39 am

Children first time passports

Applied and paid online: 28/04/2022
Documents posted: 03/05/2022

_pikachu
Mood:
United States of America

Post by _pikachu » Wed May 04, 2022 12:36 pm

corkms wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:13 am
When providing supporting documentation for a first time passport (5yr non-eu naturalisation), do the letters from Social Protection or Revenue need to be dated within a certain timeframe (past 30 days, or something like that)?
I figured most recent would be less complicated. Not sure how dated the documents confirming address can be. I added the most recent gas bill, most recent tax certificate that has my address on it, and the letter from the Minister of Justice that comes along with the naturalisation certificate, the naturalisation certificate, original passport and copy of both sides of my PPS card.i was approved ahead of the expected issuing date. :)

_pikachu
Mood:
United States of America

Post by _pikachu » Wed May 04, 2022 12:49 pm

johnpromise01 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:21 am
The passport website said it's an expected date, not a guaranteed one. I got my Irish passport a week early. On webchat, the customer service rep said my original passport wasn't needed anymore because I was very far long with my application and they suggested putting in a request for it back early. I said "sure, why not?" If they couldn't verify if my passport was still needed, it would have been a different story.

Adrian B
Newly Registered

Post by Adrian B » Wed May 04, 2022 2:05 pm

Hi, got my FBR Cert, now applying for passport. Do I have to send a current UK passport or will an original expired passport suffice? Expired in 2021 (not travelled due to covid) as I dont want to purchase 2 new passports!

GoWentGone123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by GoWentGone123 » Wed May 04, 2022 2:18 pm

Short answer, Certified copy of current passport biometric first page will suffice.

GoWentGone123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by GoWentGone123 » Wed May 04, 2022 2:24 pm

Does DFA webchat actually works or is it a scam? I used it a few times few years ago for my kids passport and i would secure a "green chat box" fairly easily but now i am refreshing constantly and it's unavailable. Also it became available for a brief interval but i could not get into the chat because it wasn't available for long enough to allow me to enter my details despite the fact i was copy pasting.

Adrian B
Newly Registered

Post by Adrian B » Wed May 04, 2022 3:35 pm

GoWentGone123 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:18 pm
Short answer, Certified copy of current passport biometric first page will suffice.
Hi, I dont have a currently valis passport, only an expired one