ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel with citzenship certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MoeAbbas
Newly Registered
Lebanon

Travel with citzenship certificate

Post by MoeAbbas » Mon May 16, 2022 9:09 am

Good morning everyone, I just received an email from home office inviting me to contact my council to book my citzenship ceremony. I reckon I can book a private appointment and get it this week. The problem I have is that I need to travel next week for 3 weeks (plane booked any everything).
If I managed to get my certificate this week can I keep my BRP with me to reenter the UK or do you recommend that I don't attend my ceremony until I am back from my trip to stay on the safe side ?
Thank you would really appreciate any help

rk39080
Newly Registered
India

Re: Travel with citzenship certificate

Post by rk39080 » Mon May 16, 2022 10:41 am

You won't be able enter the UK using your naturalisation certificate. See the last line on this page: https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... ertificate.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:15 am

A British citizen has automatic right to abode in the UK so cannot be refused entry.
It may take a while for UK Border Force to check your certificate (also take your foreign passport of course) - note it's not a travel document as such and won't be recognised by foreign authorities or carriers.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

MoeAbbas
Newly Registered
Lebanon

Post by MoeAbbas » Mon May 16, 2022 11:19 am

Thank you for your replies. But can't I avoid all this by simply not booking the ceremony until I am back from my travel, reenter the UK with my BRP, then book my ceremony. From the home office email it says I need to return my BRP after I get my certificate. So in my head that mean I can travel like before come back apply for ceremony get the certificate then surrender my BRP.

Does it make sense

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:22 am

Book the ceremony to take place once you have returned from your trip.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

MoeAbbas
Newly Registered
Lebanon

Post by MoeAbbas » Thu May 19, 2022 8:21 am

So in principle I can still reenter the UK with my BRP if I booked the ceremony after I come back to the UK?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:39 am

MoeAbbas wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 8:21 am
So in principle I can still reenter the UK with my BRP if I booked the ceremony after I come back to the UK?
You are only British AFTER your ceremony, not from 'approval letter' date. Until you have attended your ceremony, you are simply a foreign passport holder with ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

WyrmKin
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by WyrmKin » Thu May 19, 2022 8:41 am

MoeAbbas wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 8:21 am
Nothing changes until after you do the ceremony and get your certificate, so once you get back you can do your ceremony and put in your passport application.

MoeAbbas
Newly Registered
Lebanon

Post by MoeAbbas » Thu May 19, 2022 9:26 am

Thank you everyone you really did my put my mind at ease, I can't tell you how important this forum is for everyone. Cheers