ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Shengen visa as Tourism or Family member of EEA/EU

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vivekskuk
Newly Registered
Mood:

Shengen visa as Tourism or Family member of EEA/EU

Post by vivekskuk » Thu May 19, 2022 9:39 pm

Hi all

Ever since UK has exited the EU or 'Brexit', I am not sure how the Shengen visa rules have changed for spouse of UK citizen.

I am a British passport holder and my wife who resides here with me holds an Indian nationality passport with a valid BRP

We have applied for Shengen twice before for her as a Family member for EU/EEA with me as the spouse travelling with her and had multiple entries approved, however this was prior to pandemic i.e in 2019. The rules have changed now?

Can someone please advise which visa category we will need to apply for when filling out the application form?

The option on the Greek website for visa application did not show UK/England on the form for the EU/EEA which raised my doubts and henceforth i am on here !

ywlgy

Re: Shengen visa as Tourism or Family member of EEA/EU

Post by ywlgy » Thu May 19, 2022 9:45 pm

She will apply for normal Schengen visa like all other non-EU nationals. No more free visa and special treatments.
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

vivekskuk
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by vivekskuk » Fri May 20, 2022 9:30 am

So i still dont quite understand. Which visa type am i applying for? My wife has not been an EU national however we used to apply based on spouse EU/EEA passport.

Are you implying it is the 'Tourism' visa we need to apply for?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri May 20, 2022 7:45 pm

Yes - Schengen visa (covers tourism and short term business travel) for non-EU visa nationals.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ywlgy

Post by ywlgy » Fri May 20, 2022 9:19 pm

There is no such thing as "Schengen tourist visa", "Schengen business visa" or "Schengen EU family visa" :!: A common misunderstanding.
Just "Schengen visa", only your purpose will be "Tourism"

You will use the same application form, but will need to leave EU family-related boxes blank.
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Sat May 21, 2022 4:46 pm

vivekskuk wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:39 pm

The option on the Greek website for visa application did not show UK/England on the form for the EU/EEA which raised my doubts and henceforth i am on here !
Just to make it clear: the UK (and with it, England) is no longer an EU/EEA country since Brexit, so the visa advantages that came with EU membership have ended for non-EU/non-EEA spouses of British nationals.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

vivekskuk
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by vivekskuk » Sun May 29, 2022 7:56 pm

Thanks for clarifying all

Also another important clarification needed. Does the applicant need to be employed as a compulsory requirement to apply for the shengen visa now?

These show as mandatory questions on the application so wasn't sure if that is needed. My spouse is not currently working, however we have enough funds/savings in the bank account to satisfy the financial means/subsistence for the trip