ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

schengen visa eu family member

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bunvis
Newly Registered

schengen visa eu family member

Post by bunvis » Wed May 18, 2022 7:21 pm

Hello, I have a schengen visa as an EU family member, can I travel alone to any Schengen country with that visa. Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: schengen visa eu family member

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 19, 2022 9:55 pm

With a visa you can travel on your own - your status as EUSS family member is not relevant as you are a visa national.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

bunvis
Newly Registered

Post by bunvis » Fri May 20, 2022 7:36 am

I am a visa national. I have got Schengen visa free of cost as eu family member so I mean can i travel alone to Schengen countries for visit with that visa or do I need a separate Schengen visa if I travel alone?. Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri May 20, 2022 7:47 pm

bunvis wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:36 am
I am a visa national. I have got Schengen visa free of cost as eu family member so I mean can i travel alone to Schengen countries for visit with that visa or do I need a separate Schengen visa if I travel alone?. Thanks
No quite sure what you mean.... Note that you are a third country visa national and will be treated like that, i.e. you need a Schengen visa in your name. UK is now a third country in relation to the EU.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Sat May 21, 2022 4:57 pm

bunvis wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:36 am
Does your visa state that it was issued under rules of freedom of movement due to marriage to an EU national?

If yes, those visas are generelly only to accompany or join your EU spouse.

Is your spouse and EU national or are they British and you received your visa somehow before Brexit?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

bunvis
Newly Registered

Post by bunvis » Fri May 27, 2022 12:18 pm

My spouse is EU national and I received Schengen visa under freedom of movement after Brexit. So does it mean I have to get another separate Schengen visa if travel alone to schengen country.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri May 27, 2022 12:22 pm

If your spouse is not British, but national of another EU country, then nothing has changed with respect to your Schengen visa. You are still a family member of an EU national. If it hasn’t expired, then you may still use it. Have you traveled alone on it before?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri May 27, 2022 12:45 pm

However, if you are not traveling with, nor joining, your EU spouse, then you may need to apply for a normal Schengen tourist visa and may be charged the fees?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.