ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

LTR application question

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

LTR application question

Post by mentalmind » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:39 pm

I saw another thread and didn’t want to hijack it so here I go:

1- LTR is given for 5 years validity but is your passport needs to be valid for 5 years? If not, then do you get LTR for shorter duration or how does it work. My passport will expire in less than 2 years and I was wondering if applying is good idea or not.

2- Do you need to visit Garda station (for outside of Dublin) every year to register or renew for your LTR? I remember that I read smth like that on Immigration website. But not sure if I got it right. Is registering yourself aka. Saying Garda that ‘look I am still working and this is my work details’ is mandatory to do each year? Or is it once you get it, you are good for 5 years situation?

Thanks

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: LTR application question

Post by littlerr » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:08 pm

1. It used to be like this - if your passport has a validity shorter than your permission period, your permission period would be shorter as well. However, since a while ago (late 2020 or early 2021), they have scraped that. Now if you have a 5-year permission, your IRP card will be valid for 5 years regardless of your validity of your passport.

2. No. Only when your IRP expires.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:09 pm

Thanks littlerr for all the help (including the ones in other threads)

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:21 pm

Sorry one more question, at the application page it says:

Full colour copies of your past and current passport or IRP cards showing all your immigration stamps

Does this mean/include the passports that were expired before I arrived to Ireland? My previous passport expired in 2014 and never used it in Ireland. Do I still need to provide scan of it? It doesn't contain any Irish immigration stamps or Irish visa.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:32 pm

I'm not too sure to be honest. As far as INIS is concerned, it should just require any passport that you used to enter Ireland.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:01 pm

Sent my application on 7th of Feb, and got acknowledgement letter on 11th of Feb, it was sent back to me on 9th via regular mail.

I only wish they were this quick about sending acknowledgement for citizenship applications :D

I got a Person ID also which is smth new for me.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:35 pm

mentalmind wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:01 pm
It's been around for quite some time. Had it on letters dating back to 2016.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:36 pm

Well I applied for LTR and citizenship for the first time, so I meant it's the first time I got my Person ID :D

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Fri May 20, 2022 10:12 am

Didn't want to spam the board with new thread (I hope it's okay). I renewed my residence permit after I applied for LTR and sent them a letter asking if I should provide them copy of my IRP card to prove that I still have valid residence permit. Today I got a mail from them saying "please send us your IRP card by post". Is there a work around for this? Sending my IRP card by post officially means I won't be able to travel till when they send it back, which will take long time for sure.

Would it work if I try sending copy of my new IRP card confirmed that it's copy of original? Should I go to a solicitor to get the copy stamped or commissioner of oath or who else could do it? Just asking for price wise.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri May 20, 2022 11:32 am

That honestly doesn't sound right. They don't ask for the original card in any circumstances at all, especially not during an application that is still in progress.

I would just send them a copy. I wouldn't even bother certifying them. The details are all in their system and it doesn't take an extra few minutes to log on to their system and figure out whether you have a residence permit or not. With the copy, just put a cover letter in and say if they want the originals or certified copy, just let you know and you will post it to them.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Fri May 20, 2022 11:36 am

littlerr wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 11:32 am
That honestly doesn't sound right. They don't ask for the original card in any circumstances at all, especially not during an application that is still in progress.

I would just send them a copy. I wouldn't even bother certifying them. The details are all in their system and it doesn't take an extra few minutes to log on to their system and figure out whether you have a residence permit or not. With the copy, just put a cover letter in and say if they want the originals or certified copy, just let you know and you will post it to them.
Thanks for giving piece of mind. The exact wording is : "Please submit your new IRP Card, by post, to this Office, when you have received it."

It's way too risky to post original of such valuable card especially while things are super slow at these days. I wouldn't mind getting refusal just because I didn't send original of my IRP :roll:

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri May 20, 2022 1:21 pm

I would take that as sending a copy of the new card, not the card itself. Yeah it's too risky.

gaweed
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by gaweed » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:20 pm

mentalmind wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:01 pm
Sent my application on 7th of Feb, and got acknowledgement letter on 11th of Feb, it was sent back to me on 9th via regular mail.

I only wish they were this quick about sending acknowledgement for citizenship applications :D

Did you receive any updates from them after acknowledgement letter ?

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:33 pm

Yes, actually I got the approval letter like a week ago, so now I need to pay. For me, it took 4 months (applied in February, got approval in June). They answer the questions via letter in a month or less.

gaweed
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by gaweed » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:04 am

mentalmind wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:33 pm
Yes, actually I got the approval letter like a week ago, so now I need to pay. For me, it took 4 months (applied in February, got approval in June). They answer the questions via letter in a month or less.

Congratulations!! And thanks for the updates.

Did you need to communicate with them or did they contact you asking for additional info/docs during that period?

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:45 am

I pushed them by sending a mail saying “do you need my new IRP card” (it was after 2 months of my application) after 1 month they replied to me saying “yes” (more details on earlier posts), I sent them a certified copy of it and a week later got the accepted letter.

I sent them my question as normal post, took 1 month to get a reply and they wrote down “about your letter you sent us dated 1 week ago” but actually I sent them it a month ago. So maybe it was better idea to send it as registered so they will have to reply quicker, I don’t know really.

I sent my application and my copy of IRP card as registered post.

gaweed
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by gaweed » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:18 pm

mentalmind wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:45 am
I pushed them by sending a mail saying “do you need my new IRP card” (it was after 2 months of my application) after 1 month they replied to me saying “yes” (more details on earlier posts), I sent them a certified copy of it and a week later got the accepted letter.

I sent them my question as normal post, took 1 month to get a reply and they wrote down “about your letter you sent us dated 1 week ago” but actually I sent them it a month ago. So maybe it was better idea to send it as registered so they will have to reply quicker, I don’t know really.

I sent my application and my copy of IRP card as registered post.
Thank you and congratulations again!.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:55 am

I sent the postal order yesterday for €500, and wrote a letter like "you can find it attached". Today I got a mail saying "if you change your address while your application is under consideration please let us know". Honestly I am confused as I was expecting the letter of approval for LTR but instead got generic reply from some different person but my application number is still the same.

Also post office is super reckless about the postal order, they didn't care about the recipient name and address, just wrote down "Secretary General, Dublin" so I hope it won't be a problem.

gaweed
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by gaweed » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:38 pm

mentalmind wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:55 am
I sent the postal order yesterday for €500, and wrote a letter like "you can find it attached". Today I got a mail saying "if you change your address while your application is under consideration please let us know". Honestly I am confused as I was expecting the letter of approval for LTR but instead got generic reply from some different person but my application number is still the same.

Also post office is super reckless about the postal order, they didn't care about the recipient name and address, just wrote down "Secretary General, Dublin" so I hope it won't be a problem.
I think it is a standard reply , so no need to worry , and I think you will receive formal approval soon.

Did you apply based on critical skills permit and stamp 4 support letter , or based on general work permit?

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:46 pm

gaweed wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:38 pm
mentalmind wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:55 am

I think it is a standard reply , so no need to worry , and I think you will receive formal approval soon.

Did you apply based on critical skills permit and stamp 4 support letter , or based on general work permit?
I had 5 years of general work permit then had stamp 4 afterwards.

jesonnn
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jesonnn » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:59 am

Applied on LTR on Mar 2022, got letter acknowledgement on end of March 22, approval on begging of June, sent payment of 500 eur and week after the LTR granted, I think it was pretty fast, because of I was near to the end of my current stamp, if I didn't get LTR, after 3 weeks I would apply on general stamp4, anyway thanks to INIS, seems they are improving the processes

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:03 am

jesonnn wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:59 am
Applied on LTR on Mar 2022, got letter acknowledgement on end of March 22, approval on begging of June, sent payment of 500 eur and week after the LTR granted, I think it was pretty fast, because of I was near to the end of my current stamp, if I didn't get LTR, after 3 weeks I would apply on general stamp4, anyway thanks to INIS, seems they are improving the processes
It looks like it doesn't take 8-10 months anymore which is good. Only sad part is I already renewed for 1 more year Stamp 4 so more money is spent than ideal on this. I am still waiting for the letter (It will be 1 week tomorrow).

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:02 am

I got the approval letter today (took 1 week after sending the payment). Only important thing I would like to note is, the 5 year long term residence date starts from the date of the letter, so for my case it's till June 2027. But because I already have active Stamp 4 till May 2023, it's like 1 year of it is wasted. Anyone considering to apply for LTR should keep that in mind. I was expecting that they will add 5 years on top of my current residence permit expiry that but it's not the case.

jesonnn
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jesonnn » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:11 am

mentalmind wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:02 am
I got the approval letter today (took 1 week after sending the payment). Only important thing I would like to note is, the 5 year long term residence date starts from the date of the letter, so for my case it's till June 2027. But because I already have active Stamp 4 till May 2023, it's like 1 year of it is wasted. Anyone considering to apply for LTR should keep that in mind. I was expecting that they will add 5 years on top of my current residence permit expiry that but it's not the case.
It was obvious from current rule applies for stamps: use that which has longest duration or late expiry date, so there is no extension of current, that's why I applied before my current one assuming to be expired in 5 months, I would apply even earlier like 6-7 months in advance

gaweed
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by gaweed » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:23 am

mentalmind wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:02 am
Congratulations!! Wish you the same for citizenship app.
Does it state a time frame that you must register it with immigration office or it is up to you to register anytime?