ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work permit

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

weinys
Newly Registered
Ireland

Work permit

Post by weinys » Mon May 23, 2022 4:24 pm

Hello friends
I graduated in a Level 8 degree in 2019 and since then i have been on stamp 1A. Not a fully qualified accountant yet.

However i am being offered position for Assistant accountant for over 30k with study support. Can i apply/request for general work permit?

Emr
China

Re: Work permit

Post by Emr » Mon May 23, 2022 6:15 pm

Yes you can apply for general as for critical skill you need to be qualified or have salary 64k

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Work permit

Post by littlerr » Mon May 23, 2022 6:38 pm

Emr wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:15 pm
Yes you can apply for general as for critical skill you need to be qualified or have salary 64k
That's incorrect. Unqualified accountants (a.k.a. 'trainees' in most accountancy firms) are not able to obtain employment permits, because their primary focus is to study and pass a certain number of exams every year, not work.

In order to apply for an employment permit, they are required to work full time. Trainees do not work full time. They have to take study leave for a few months every year, and take and pass exams as required by INIS. This is prohibited in all types of employment permits.

As far as I understand, all 'big four' firms should have unified policies - they will not sponsor any type of employment permits until the trainee becomes qualified. There is usually a 6-month gap between the time where the trainee has passed all exams but has not yet been registered as being qualified. Even within this period the trainee cannot get an employment permit. They have to apply for an extension with INIS.

Some smaller firms may provide workarounds - enrolling trainees into a different role and purposely conceal the fact that the trainee is in full time study. Whether or not the OP wants to risk that using this route is beyond what we can advise.