ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to EU with UK-issued EU Family Member Residence Card

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

aarontran2506
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Travelling to EU with UK-issued EU Family Member Residence Card

Post by aarontran2506 » Tue May 24, 2022 1:13 pm

Hi all

I am a non-EU citizen, living in the UK with my spouse (Romanian) since 2018.

I have a Residence Card like this, issued by the UK in 2018, expiring in 2023.
The card clearly states "family member - EU residence"
and
"Residence card of a fmaily member of a union citizen"

In July 2022 I am planning to go to Romania with my spouse for 3-5 days to visit her family. I know the law enough to know that if I accompany my Romanian spouse and carry our marriage certificate along with that EU Residence Card, I can travel to any EU member state.

However, I don't know if the border officials in Romania are educated enough to know that...or they are going to turn me away at the Romanian airport.

The Brexit situation is likely going to make it even more complicated. As the UK is now no longer an EU member, will the Romanian official argue that makes my EU Residence Card invalid, despite the fact that the card was issued at a time when the UK was still an EU member?

I am looking for advice, has anyone travelled to Romania like this?
Anyone travelled to the EU in 2022 with their UK-issued EU residence card yet?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Travelling to EU with UK-issued EU Family Member Residence Card

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 24, 2022 1:19 pm

Can't really advise on the ins and outs of this, but, are you ordinarily a visa-national for entering the EU?
Perhaps this page could clarify:
https://www.the3million.org.uk/travel-to-the-eu
T3M is a pressure group working on behalf of EU citizens and their family members.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

aarontran2506
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Post by aarontran2506 » Tue May 24, 2022 1:28 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:19 pm
Can't really advise on the ins and outs of this, but, are you ordinarily a visa-national for entering the EU?
Perhaps this page could clarify:
https://www.the3million.org.uk/travel-to-the-eu
T3M is a pressure group working on behalf of EU citizens and their family members.
Hi, yes, normally as a Vietnamese national, I would need a visa to enter Romania

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Sat May 28, 2022 2:08 pm

aarontran2506 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:13 pm
I am looking for advice, has anyone travelled to Romania like this?
The place to get official advice is the consulate of Romania in the UK. If they tell you to get a visa, get a visa.
Anyone travelled to the EU in 2022 with their UK-issued EU residence card yet?
I have travelled several times to France, and when asked if I have a "livret de famille" (the official French document certifying you are part of the same family unite) I have produced my EEA card, and it has worked. BUT that was just to justify the purpose of my visit, I am not a visa-required national in France, so this does not mean the card is a substitute for a visa.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.