ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

German Citizenship Query

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Apple10

German Citizenship Query

Post by Apple10 » Wed May 25, 2022 8:09 pm

Hi

I wondered if anyone had ever been the following situation when applying for German citizenship, and can maybe offer some pointers on how I can investigate with the German authorities.

The scenario is that my partners grandfather was German and left German in 1938 as a child as a result of his father being persecuted by the Nazi's (they aren't Jewish, they were Christian and highly critical of the Nazi's). The grandfather ended up in Paraguay where he had a son (my partners father) and six months after my partners fathers birth, the whole family emigrated to England.

We believe that my partners father, although being born in Paraguay travelled on a German passport and was somehow recognised by the German state as a citizen. The problem is that he passed away in 2013, and we don't have his old passport or any further documentation proving he was a German citizen. My partners father naturalised in the UK after my partners birth. Whilst we have a copy of the naturalisation certificate, it doesn't state from what country he was 'naturalising away from', if that makes sense!

We believe that if we had a copy of his passport, or proof of his registration as a German citizen, then we could apply directly for a passport. Without this we will have to go down the two year route of applying via descent. Has anyone been in this situation before and could offer up some advice?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: German Citizenship Query

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:44 am

Can't really comment in detail on this.
But, do you know where grandfather was born in Germany?
If you have the place and date of birth you could try and contact the local authority responsible for the area today. Their "Standesamt" is normally where this would have been registered, or it maybe a church registry office. The local authority may have historical registry records in their archives or probably could point you in the right direction. Not a guarantee but probably the first step in the search - they probably could provide a copy of a birth certificate or extract of the registry.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Fri May 27, 2022 10:40 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:44 am
Can't really comment in detail on this.
But, do you know where grandfather was born in Germany?
If you have the place and date of birth you could try and contact the local authority responsible for the area today. Their "Standesamt" is normally where this would have been registered, or it maybe a church registry office. The local authority may have historical registry records in their archives or probably could point you in the right direction. Not a guarantee but probably the first step in the search - they probably could provide a copy of a birth certificate or extract of the registry.
At the moment I don't know where his grandfather was born. I have applied for his UK death certificate so I'm hoping it states that on there.

I'm also hoping to get my partners father's passport number and the fact that he was a German citizen from the Home Office via his naturalisation records - so that may help a bit.

Thanks for coming back to me!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat May 28, 2022 10:11 am

Another thought, did the grandfather ever apply to the then West German government for compensation, for loss of property/money confiscated/imprisonment/discrimination by the regime/etc? There must be some paperwork still in existence if that's the case.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.