ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GNIB Card and Airlines

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

luxurylemon
Ireland

GNIB Card and Airlines

Post by luxurylemon » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:03 am

Hi All,

We flew with Ryanair recently and my husband being Non EU had to do the usual visa check for his boarding card. Both in Dublin flying out and on the return journey he just handed his online check in receipt and his passport at the check in desk and they just printed a proper boarding card and off we went. They asked for nothing and no questions.

This got me thinking, as I've seen other people mention on these forums about requiring your GNIB when you travel as the airline has to be sure you are permitted to enter the country. We have never been asked by any airline or Immigration in another country for his GNIB card, and we have only ever shown it to Irish Immigration when coming back into Ireland as you need to show it then.

Do airlines actually ask some people for their GNIB cards? This is just out of curiosity as I've seen people saying you have to be able to show this to the airline. Or is this dependent on the persons passport/citizenship and if they require visas etc.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Re: GNIB Card and Airlines

Post by mentalmind » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:09 am

Airlines do ask and have to ask for proper immigration permission, especially you are national of visa requiring country or departing from one. Airlines do get fined heavily if they bring passengers to the countries that they don't have valid permission to enter/stay. So they are super picky.

As non-EU national, I have to show my Schengen visa at Dublin airport and get my visa checked else they cause trouble during boarding. For Ryanair you have to do it at checkin or ticket sales desk. For Aer Lingus, they just check your card while boarding to plane (which is more ideal to be honest).

Anyways it's a topic that airlines take really seriously or they will get hefty fines.

luxurylemon
Ireland

Post by luxurylemon » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:15 am

mentalmind wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:09 am
Airlines do ask and have to ask for proper immigration permission, especially you are national of visa requiring country or departing from one.
As non-EU national, I have to show my Schengen visa at Dublin airport and get my visa checked else they cause trouble during boarding.
Thanks for your reply. I was just curious as we've never been asked and I saw it mentioned in a recent thread. I wonder is it because they have always been busy every time we go, or because my husbands passport is US and he can travel to Europe for up to 90 days without having a visa or GNIB card anyway.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:19 am

Your husband being US citizen plays a big role in this for sure

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:13 pm

As a 3rd country citizen, have to always produce Schengen to airline authorities, for example, by coming up to registration desk and showing them I have a valid visa and all. Had to show my IRP as well every time I go to Ireland, either like Ryanair, at the desk -> get ticket stamped or during boarding, they see my nonEU passport. ask for it and look for a visa/check my IRP.
I'd certainly assume they're more lax on US citizens.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:45 pm

Only visa-required nationals will be asked to produce a visa or IRP card.

nmurph
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by nmurph » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:08 pm

littlerr wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:45 pm
That’s not true. I am a US citizen and I have never been able to leave the US without producing my GNIB/IRP card within, at least, the last 5 years as it is considered a one-way ticket. It is very difficult to fly into Ireland on a one way ticket anymore, as they want proof you’re moving on and not trying to illegally stay. I almost got caught out once because my card was near expiry. I had to get emails from my employment, and proof that I had in fact renewed it but it just hadn’t received the new one yet. I usually fly with Delta, but AA and Aer Lingus have also checked. I then always have to have it for immigration as well once landed - didn’t upgrade my new address fast enough for them and was given out to for it and threatened with a fine. For the most part, airlines and immigration are strict enough with it.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:11 pm

nmurph wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:08 pm
littlerr wrote:
That’s not true. I am a US citizen and I have never been able to leave the US without producing my GNIB/IRP card within, at least, the last 5 years as it is considered a one-way ticket. It is very difficult to fly into Ireland on a one way ticket anymore, as they want proof you’re moving on and not trying to illegally stay. I almost got caught out once because my card was near expiry. I had to get emails from my employment, and proof that I had in fact renewed it but it just hadn’t received the new one yet. I usually fly with Delta, but AA and Aer Lingus have also checked. I then always have to have it for immigration as well once landed - didn’t upgrade my new address fast enough for them and was given out to for it and threatened with a fine. For the most part, airlines and immigration are strict enough with it.
What does that have anything to do with Ryanair/Schengen/EU? They will not check a non-visa required national's IRP card. That is not the requirement for EU flights.
If this is a requirement in the US, that's understandable. China imposes similar requirements as well, but they have nothing to do with the OP's post.

nmurph
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by nmurph » Sat May 14, 2022 10:24 pm

littlerr wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:11 pm
nmurph wrote:
littlerr wrote:
What does that have anything to do with Ryanair/Schengen/EU? They will not check a non-visa required national's IRP card. That is not the requirement for EU flights.
If this is a requirement in the US, that's understandable. China imposes similar requirements as well, but they have nothing to do with the OP's post.
I didn’t realise OP wasn’t referring to an EU flight until I reread Ryanair. The post wasn’t blatantly specific otherwise… my bad.

O'Ramires
Mood:
Brazil

Post by O'Ramires » Thu May 26, 2022 5:07 pm

littlerr wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:11 pm
nmurph wrote:
littlerr wrote:
Well, according to the department of justice Brazil is in the list of non-visa required country and when flying with Ryanair I have always to drop by their check desk.

According to their website "all non-EU/EEA citizens must have their travel documents checked and stamped at the Ryanair Visa/Document Check Desk before going through airport security".

That doesn't apply to other companies tho.

jbminger
Ireland

Post by jbminger » Thu May 26, 2022 5:22 pm

littlerr wrote:
I’m a US citizen. Ryanair always “visa check” me. On a recent flight from Ireland to Spain, the gate agent flipped through my passport as if looking for something. Pretending really, then decided she had flipped through enough and printed my new boarding pass and stamped it with her stupid stamp. I don’t need a visa to enter Spain or Ireland…

To answer the OP. The only time I have ever shown my GNIB card was to Irish immigration at an airport when entering Ireland.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Thu May 26, 2022 5:32 pm

jbminger wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:22 pm
I’m a US citizen. Ryanair always “visa check” me. On a recent flight from Ireland to Spain, the gate agent flipped through my passport as if looking for something.
She was looking for a UK entry-denial or deportation stamp. My brother in law works for Ryanair, and they do that as part of a routine visa checks for non-EU nationals, because Ireland is often targeted by people who were previously refused entry to the UK.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri May 27, 2022 1:38 am

jbminger wrote:
littlerr wrote:
I’m a US citizen. Ryanair always “visa check” me. On a recent flight from Ireland to Spain, the gate agent flipped through my passport as if looking for something. Pretending really, then decided she had flipped through enough and printed my new boarding pass and stamped it with her stupid stamp. I don’t need a visa to enter Spain or Ireland…

To answer the OP. The only time I have ever shown my GNIB card was to Irish immigration at an airport when entering Ireland.
That is correct. Ryanair’s policy is to ‘visa’ check all non-EU nationals. That doesn’t mean you need to have a visa - US nationals don’t need one. Ryanair cannot refuse you entry if you don’t have a stamp or show your IRP card on your passport. However, as Vorona said, if you have a refusal stamp by the UK or Irish authority, chances are that they will deny you from boarding.

O'Ramires
Mood:
Brazil

Post by O'Ramires » Fri May 27, 2022 11:53 am

littlerr wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:38 am
jbminger wrote:
littlerr wrote:

That is correct. Ryanair’s policy is to ‘visa’ check all non-EU nationals. That doesn’t mean you need to have a visa - US nationals don’t need one. Ryanair cannot refuse you entry if you don’t have a stamp or show your IRP card on your passport. However, as Vorona said, if you have a refusal stamp by the UK or Irish authority, chances are that they will deny you from boarding.
Not correct.

Ryanair is a budget airline, therefore they avoid any extra costs they would legally have if they flew a passenger into a country they are refused entry — they would be responsible for flying you back to where you came from.

That can happen for different reasons, you may have overstayed your visa, you may not have the proper documentation, you may be flying from a visa-free country to a visa-required country etc

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri May 27, 2022 2:05 pm

O'Ramires wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:53 am
littlerr wrote:
jbminger wrote:
littlerr wrote:

Not correct.

Ryanair is a budget airline, therefore they avoid any extra costs they would legally have if they flew a passenger into a country they are refused entry — they would be responsible for flying you back to where you came from.

That can happen for different reasons, you may have overstayed your visa, you may not have the proper documentation, you may be flying from a visa-free country to a visa-required country etc
Which bit in what I said is different from what you said?

mads32
Ireland

Post by mads32 » Fri May 27, 2022 2:20 pm

My personal experience from travelling within Europe and back home all these years is that I was never asked to show my IRP card or passport stamp to any airline company apart from one time where I was returning from Czech Republic to Ireland Ryanair asked me if I had a visa in Ireland during boarding and wanted to see it.

When I do the visa check with Ryanair they only check the biometric page of my passport.

Have in mind that I'm originally from a visa free country in relation to coming to Ireland and my home country also has an agreement with the Schengen zone countries where I'm free to travel between them for up 90 days, no visa required.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Fri May 27, 2022 2:40 pm

This is useless. The whole process and treatment depends on the airline personnel. I have been questioned for things that no one cared before, or was told I can't do something that I am actually allowed to do. Long story short, just follow the rules and show whatever they ask for. Or they will just refuse you to board to airplane even thou you have all rights for boarding.

O'Ramires
Mood:
Brazil

Post by O'Ramires » Fri May 27, 2022 2:52 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:05 pm
O'Ramires wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:53 am
littlerr wrote:
jbminger wrote:
littlerr wrote:

Not correct.

Which bit in what I said is different from what you said?
That they are (only) looking for refusal stamps and/or that Ryanair cannot refuse your entry (boarding). They are looking for anything that can stop you from entry your country of destination and if they find something wrong they won't let you board.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Fri May 27, 2022 2:56 pm

They can refuse your boarding for any reason, even because how you look at them. The only action you can take later on is file a complaint and get some money using websites like Resolver that guides you with air travel rules. So that's why you should be nice with this stuff, they can ruin your travel and eventually they (airline personnel) will walk free, they won't get fined or fired.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri May 27, 2022 5:01 pm

Guys we are deviating things too much here. This is not what the OP asked.

All airlines have rights to deny boarding with any reason, as long as it's not discriminatory in nature. That has nothing to do with any specific airline or any specific nationality. Having an IRP card in your hand or not, does not, in any way, prevent Ryanair from exercising their rights.

OP's question had been answered long time ago. A non-visa required national does not need a GNIB card to board a flight to Ireland. That's the adopted approach by all EU airlines under the instructions from the Irish border force and under Irish/EU directives. The person should still carry the IRP/GNIB as that's required by Irish immigration authorities, and that person can decide to show their card to the airline, or not to.

jbminger
Ireland

Post by jbminger » Fri May 27, 2022 5:41 pm

Vorona wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:32 pm
jbminger wrote:
I’m a US citizen. Ryanair always “visa check” me. On a recent flight from Ireland to Spain, the gate agent flipped through my passport as if looking for something.
She was looking for a UK entry-denial or deportation stamp. My brother in law works for Ryanair, and they do that as part of a routine visa checks for non-EU nationals, because Ireland is often targeted by people who were previously refused entry to the UK.
Except, This happened on the flight out of Ireland. So you’re reasoning doesn’t work.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Fri May 27, 2022 8:11 pm

jbminger wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:41 pm
Except, This happened on the flight out of Ireland. So you’re reasoning doesn’t work.
What does not work for you is not important. What works for carriers is, because it's part of their duties and responsibilities. You're not unique among millions of non-EU passenger to be subjected to visa checks. It's a common practice. Take it or leave it.