ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel to India post naturalisation application

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jameswilliamson6544
India

Travel to India post naturalisation application

Post by jameswilliamson6544 » Mon May 02, 2022 3:08 pm

Hello.

Once I have received approval email from Home office to my naturalisation application, what are my options to travel to India (I was born Indian citizen).

Before Ceremony
I understand I can use my Indian passport and ILR BRP before ceremony - Is this correct?

Post ceremony , but before application of UK passport
Can I do naturalisation ceremony and still use my Indian passport plus ILR BRP for travel to India and back to UK? I heard this is allowed but with a £1000 fine, is this correct?

Post ceremony , but after application of UK passport (before UK passport is approved)
Is there any way if I can travel to India and return to UK at this stage? I would have submitted my original Indian passport already

Ja Sa
Newly Registered
Mood:

Re: Travel to India post naturalisation application

Post by Ja Sa » Tue May 03, 2022 12:58 am

Before the ceremony, I think it's fine, as I was in India after my naturalization was approved and travelled back with my BRP.

Post Ceremony before British passport application - Not sure. Even I am trying to find the implications. Even I want to travel to India for 2 weeks at least. If someone can help us would be great, please.

After the ceremony, if you apply for a British passport, you will have to submit an Indian passport to HMPO. This means you'll NOT have your passport to travel.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Fri May 27, 2022 8:44 pm

One can travel to india on indian passport within 3 months of naturalisation only if no foreign passport has been acquired.

https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/surre ... -passport/
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by mesn » Sun May 29, 2022 7:06 am

dontringthebell wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:44 pm
One can travel to india on indian passport within 3 months of naturalisation only if no foreign passport has been acquired.

Yes but i think one cant return to UK as the BRP card is supposed to be returned within few days of Naturalisation.
Last edited by mesn on Sun May 29, 2022 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by mesn » Sun May 29, 2022 7:08 am

jameswilliamson6544 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 3:08 pm
Hello.

Once I have received approval email from Home office to my naturalisation application, what are my options to travel to India (I was born Indian citizen).

Before Ceremony
I understand I can use my Indian passport and ILR BRP before ceremony - Is this correct?

Post ceremony , but before application of UK passport
Can I do naturalisation ceremony and still use my Indian passport plus ILR BRP for travel to India and back to UK? I heard this is allowed but with a £1000 fine, is this correct?

Post ceremony , but after application of UK passport (before UK passport is approved)
Is there any way if I can travel to India and return to UK at this stage? I would have submitted my original Indian passport already
1. Yes.
2. No, don't think anyone is fined but your card becomes invalid and you are needed to return it ASAP. Airlines won't let you board without a valid BRP or British passport
3. No. You need to submit your Indian Passport as well to apply for the British one. So, again you can't travel.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Sun May 29, 2022 7:35 pm

mesn wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 7:06 am
dontringthebell wrote:

Yes but i think one cant return to UK as the BRP card is supposed to be returned within few days of Naturalisation.
It has to be returned but people do travel and it does work.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by mesn » Mon May 30, 2022 5:50 pm

dontringthebell wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 7:35 pm
mesn wrote:
dontringthebell wrote:

Out of curiosity, how would they come back to UK ?

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Mon May 30, 2022 7:01 pm

mesn wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 5:50 pm
dontringthebell wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 7:35 pm
mesn wrote:
dontringthebell wrote:

Out of curiosity, how would they come back to UK ?
I would limit my comments to the fact that people do travel with their Indian passport and BRP before applying for British Passport within three months from naturalization. It is always safe to travel if the travel is short and can be completed under the three month period.