ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maintenance funds for Student Visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

LearningCurve

Maintenance funds for Student Visa

Post by LearningCurve » Mon May 30, 2022 7:37 pm

Hi all,

2 questions:

1) How long should the maintenance fund be maintained prior to the date of visa application?
2) Is it enough if the bank provide a letter stating that the funds required for maintenance (£1023 x 9) has been approved, letter dated 28 days (or 2 months) prior to date of application ? or is it necessary that the maintenance funds should be held in the bank account of applicant (student) or the applicants (students) parents?

Background and Context:
Wife's nephew has secured an admission to a Master's degree in University of Manchester for program to start in August 2022 this year.

Course fee has been secured by applying for a bank loan. Like-wise the maintenance funds required to be maintained for the period prior to date of visa application has also been secured by applying for bank loan.

Spending time on the gov.uk website , answers for the 2 questions:

1. How long should the maintenance fund be maintained prior to the date of visa application?
Quote below from gov.uk

Money to support yourself (‘financial requirement’)
You’ll need to show you have enough money to support yourself - unless you’ve been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months on the date of your application.

How much money you need depends on where you will be studying. You’ll need either:

£1,334 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London
£1,023 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses outside London
If you’re boarding at a residential independent school, you’ll need to pay boarding fees instead. The amount you need to pay will be on your CAS.

London means the City of London and the 32 London boroughs.

You’ll need to prove you have extra money for each family member you bring with you.

You must have this money for at least 28 consecutive days. The end date of the 28-day period must be within 31 days of the date you apply for your visa.

Example
If you submit your application on 1 January 2021, you’d have to show that the funds were in your bank account for at least the 28-day period ending on 1 December.

If you have a student loan or financial sponsorship, you’ll need to provide evidence of this from your loan or sponsorship company.
Given this is Manchester, the maintenance fund required (highlighted in yellow above) is £1,023 x 9 = £9207 in GBP or it's equivalent in INR.

In the example highlighted in yellow above, if applicaton date is on 1st January 2021, funds were in your bank account for at least the 28-day period ending on 1 December.

1st December 2020 to 1st January 2021 is 31 days and "28-day period ending on 1 December. " means 31 days + 28 days = 59 days.

So does that mean the maintenance funds should be maintained for 59 days prior to date of visa application?

Please clarify.

2) Should the maintenance fund be shown in the name of the bank account of the applicant or applicant's parents? or is it ok given the maintenance fund is also secured from the bank, that it is enought that the bank issues a letter of approval / grant of the said £9207 equivalent in INR ? For eg., see bits highlighted in orange above and in the quote below:

Quote from gov.uk

You can show you have enough money using:

an official financial or government sponsorship or grant
a student loan from a government, government sponsored loan company, or a regulated student loans scheme
your own money
your parent’s money (if they provide a letter confirming they agree to you using it this way)
your partner’s money if your partner is present in the UK or applying at the same time
From the bits highlighted in orange, it appears:
  • It will be acceptable if the maintenance fund is proved by a student loan from a regulated student loans scheme, meaning a bank loan ?
  • If you have a student loan, you need to provide evidence from your loan company
Please advise if the maintenance fund has to be maintained for the 2 month period in personal / parent's bank account of applicant or is ok for bank to issue a letter of approval dated atleast 60 days in prior to date of visa application?

Thank you for reading and appreciate your comment / advise / suggestions.
Cheers,
LC

PS: Apologies if question was asked and aswered already, asking because there is lots of information and want to make sure we understand this correctly. Thanks in advance.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Maintenance funds for Student Visa

Post by sah10406 » Tue May 31, 2022 3:32 pm

tl;dr

Your nephew can get dedicated professional advice on his visa application from the international student advice team at the University of Manchester. That's their job and their expertise.

That is far more sensible than his aunt's husband crowdsourcing visa advice from random strangers on a online message board.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:08 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 3:32 pm
tl;dr

Your nephew can get dedicated professional advice on his visa application from the international student advice team at the University of Manchester. That's their job and their expertise.

That is far more sensible than his aunt's husband crowdsourcing visa advice from random strangers on a online message board.
Seriously?!!

If you didn't know the answer, did you know that ignoring the post and not responding is actually an option? There could be others who may be able to respond.

This is a perfectly legit question for an immigration discussion board.

I see you are a *Diamond* member and seem to dish out a lot of advice to strangers on this board, so how is this post any different ? I wonder why you have selected *this* post to be rude.

If you don't have anything useful to say, can you please say nothing at all.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:28 pm

LearningCurve wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:08 pm
I see you are a *Diamond* member and seem to dish out a lot of advice to strangers on this board, so how is this post any different ? I wonder why you have selected *this* post to be rude.
I can explain. I was being overly dramatic, but it was in order to reassure you and prompt you to think differently about this matter that you have been drawn into. Your concern is clear from your lengthy post, but I want to allay any anxiety you have about bearing any responsibility for being your family member's visa adviser.

To put it a nicer way, which I should have done in the first place, there is someone at the university who is trained and paid to advise their students on this specific matter and who can devote time to their individual situation and any choices. Most people who come to this board have no such free access to a trained professional who can give them one-to-one advice. You and your family member can rely on them, and use them to your full advantage.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.