ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Residence CARD renewal !!

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sp84

ILR - Residence CARD renewal !!

Post by sp84 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:24 am

Hi everyone,

My wife has lived in the UK for 6 years - I am an Irish citizen and she is from the USA. She entered the country in 2016 under using an EU Family Permit ... Applied under the EU settlement scheme ... And was given Settled Status in June 2021.

When we read the acceptance letter I noticed that the first section said she would be able to show and prove her status using the online portal ... However, what I didn't realise was that in order to re-enter the UK she would need a valid RESIDENCE CARD (not permit). Her card has since expired in January 2022.

We have applied for a new residence card and she has her biometrics taken last week. All the home office asked for was proof of address (I assume because it is just a renewal) and a signed consent form to check our joint bank account.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea how long it takes the renewal to be issued? Seeing as it's just a renewal for someone that already has settled status.

We may need to travel to the US in mid-July and are obviously hoping we have it by then.

We are in Northern Ireland and plan on flying to the USA from the Republic of Ireland (and coming back the want way) ... It's normally cheaper to do this.

Also curious if there are any options if her new card hasn't came - can we still travel and show the online status as proof of her residence? Will the Irish immigration authorities ask for a card?

Thanks!

meself2
Ireland

Re: ILR - Residence CARD renewal !!

Post by meself2 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:30 am

If I understand correctly, settled status can be shown in a digital form to UK immigration authorities (if needs be), but as there are no borders between NI and ROI, that should not even be the case where she's asked to produce one.
Irish authorities will be fine with letting her in as a tourist (which she is), as US passport allows it.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:58 am

meself2 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:30 am
If I understand correctly, settled status can be shown in a digital form to UK immigration authorities (if needs be), but as there are no borders between NI and ROI, that should not even be the case where she's asked to produce one.
Irish authorities will be fine with letting her in as a tourist (which she is), as US passport allows it.
I know that on her letter/email (saying that she has settled status) - it states that to enter the UK she must have a valid residence card ... My only fear with her entering Ireland as a tourist ... Is that I assume she would need to have a departing flight booked? This would be a departing flight that we don't actually need - seeing as she has settled status. Hope that makes sense.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:06 am

sp84 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:58 am
meself2 wrote:
I know that on her letter/email (saying that she has settled status) - it states that to enter the UK she must have a valid residence card ... My only fear with her entering Ireland as a tourist ... Is that I assume she would need to have a departing flight booked? This would be a departing flight that we don't actually need - seeing as she has settled status. Hope that makes sense.
It should be fine if you explain what are you aiming to do, as in going back to UK with settled status and all.
Side note, queues in Dublin Airport are horrendous at the moment, so you might just be better off flying from somewhere else.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:50 am

meself2 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:06 am
sp84 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:58 am
meself2 wrote:
It should be fine if you explain what are you aiming to do, as in going back to UK with settled status and all.
Side note, queues in Dublin Airport are horrendous at the moment, so you might just be better off flying from somewhere else.
That's what I'm hoping! I'm thinking of emailing immigration in the Republic and explaining - I'd like to think the online is enough.

I also read an article today in the guardian of a lady from Uganda that has ILR ... Her residence permit expired in April and she had to leave the UK. On the way back -. Ryanair wouldn't let her board ... But a trip to the embassy the next day sorted it.

I saved so much money by booking the flights from Dublin but have read about the long queues! I don't go until mid-July so hoping they have systems in place by then! And yes I know I'm stupid for booking flights - but I genuinely only realised her residence card had expired after I booked them 🙈

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:29 am

sp84 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:50 am
I also read an article today in the guardian of a lady from Uganda that has ILR ... Her residence permit expired in April and she had to leave the UK. On the way back -. Ryanair wouldn't let her board ... But a trip to the embassy the next day sorted it.
That's the thing - Ugandian citizens don't have the legal right to go to UK/Ireland visa-free, so there was nothing for airline to know the trip is legal, didn't want to take a risk taking a person on expired document. US citizens can go visa free, though, so for airlines it is safe to let them on board, as long as their passport is valid (although they might need to be at least X months before expiry date, not sure).
sp84 wrote:
That's what I'm hoping! I'm thinking of emailing immigration in the Republic and explaining - I'd like to think the online is enough.
Try it, but from experience, you might not get an answer in time, especially now as they're swamped with renewal applications. Do a search on the forums and see if there are any similar cases maybe?

sp84

Post by sp84 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:09 pm

meself2 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:29 am
sp84 wrote:
That's the thing - Ugandian citizens don't have the legal right to go to UK/Ireland visa-free, so there was nothing for airline to know the trip is legal, didn't want to take a risk taking a person on expired document. US citizens can go visa free, though, so for airlines it is safe to let them on board, as long as their passport is valid (although they might need to be at least X months before expiry date, not sure).
sp84 wrote:
Try it, but from experience, you might not get an answer in time, especially now as they're swamped with renewal applications. Do a search on the forums and see if there are any similar cases maybe?
Cheers!

I know the Republic's entry requirements say that in order to travel to NI - normal UK immigration rules will apply ... This sadly means that she will need to have a valid Residence Card. Crossing every finger and toe that we get lucky and a decision is made before the 8 weeks is up (it did say a decision WITHIN 8 weeks). Here is hoping and that I haven't flushed a few £££ down the toilet.