ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:28 pm

mesn wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:37 pm
Surrendered Passports on 4Mar - Friday. Site showed Review- Ready - Printed status on 7Mon. That was super quick but haven't received the certificates yet. Royal Mail status is still invalid. So, they haven't been posted yet.
You should get it shortly, mostly takes 7-10 days, many also get within 4 days too.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by mesn » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:25 am

dontringthebell wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:28 pm
mesn wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:37 pm
Surrendered Passports on 4Mar - Friday. Site showed Review- Ready - Printed status on 7Mon. That was super quick but haven't received the certificates yet. Royal Mail status is still invalid. So, they haven't been posted yet.
You should get it shortly, mostly takes 7-10 days, many also get within 4 days too.
Got 2/3 today. 3rd working day from submission. Thank you.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

imab

Post by imab » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:01 am

Sorry for somewhat seemingly silly questions regarding surrendering indian passport of my 2 kids / minors. However, I have learnt that kids and govt depts are alike with the right to demand anything anytime anywhere:

Que 1:
I have 1 set of photocopy, attested for by father and mother of relevant originals. However, a few years ago, during my passport renewal, I was sent back to get 2 more sets of photocopies.
So for surrender, is it enough to take 1 set of photocopies or should I take 2 more?

Que 2:
I need some help interpreting the following on VFS site - "In case of Minor’s Application/Declaration either of the parents need to sign the application form/declaration along the minor applicant"
So, does one need to fit in parent's signature and child thumb impression / name in the tiny signature box below the declaration on the 2nd page of Application form?

Thanks.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:12 pm

imab wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:01 am
Sorry for somewhat seemingly silly questions regarding surrendering indian passport of my 2 kids / minors. However, I have learnt that kids and govt depts are alike with the right to demand anything anytime anywhere:

Que 1:
I have 1 set of photocopy, attested for by father and mother of relevant originals. However, a few years ago, during my passport renewal, I was sent back to get 2 more sets of photocopies.
So for surrender, is it enough to take 1 set of photocopies or should I take 2 more? 1 set is sufficient, they do have photocopier if need arises

Que 2:
I need some help interpreting the following on VFS site - "In case of Minor’s Application/Declaration either of the parents need to sign the application form/declaration along the minor applicant"
So, does one need to fit in parent's signature and child thumb impression / name in the tiny signature box below the declaration on the 2nd page of Application form? child can write their name else fingerprint under photograph, declaration needs to be signed by parent submitting the application

Thanks.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

imab

Post by imab » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:45 pm

dontringthebell wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:12 pm
imab wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:01 am

Que 1:
So for surrender, is it enough to take 1 set of photocopies or should I take 2 more? 1 set is sufficient, they do have photocopier if need arises

Que 2:
So, does one need to fit in parent's signature and child thumb impression / name in the tiny signature box below the declaration on the 2nd page of Application form? child can write their name else fingerprint under photograph, declaration needs to be signed by parent submitting the application

Thanks.
Thank You !!

kumar84
India

Post by kumar84 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:10 am

Dear All,

I had passport surrender appointment @Machester and went pretty smooth.

They had asked for same documents mentioned in the website. I had taken prepaid special Delivery envelope along with me but they said I will need to submit a declaration letter that I am responsible in case documents are misplaced. Advised to use there courier service. Charged £17 for each application.

Take the same number of copies of appointment letter as number of application. I had 3 application and they had asked for 3 appointment copies one for each application

raushan
Newly Registered
India

Post by raushan » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:21 pm

I received my British passport yesterday and completed the application form for surrender of Indian passport.

Since then I’ve been trying to book an appointment for ‘Surrender of Indian passport’ from the HCI website. However, it doesn’t show any locations in the drop down when I select this category of appointment.

Read earlier in the thread that they release in batches at 6:30pm UK time so tried it today but same outcome. It doesn’t even show any locations or crossed out dates. Am I doing something wrong?

P.S. For any other category of appointments on the HCI website I can see the locations list and when I select them I can see appointment 6-8 weeks down the line. The problem seems to be only with surrender certificate appointments.

Any help is appreciated.

Entrepreneur9
Member of Standing

Post by Entrepreneur9 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:30 am

raushan - Its the website error. Looks like they have been updating it from last couple of days.

Please note - There are currently some special appointments at the Goswell centre (London) on Saturday - 26 March 2022. There are only 2 slots available.

Please follow the link below to book your appointment.

https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/weeke ... ular-camp/

Good Luck

raushan
Newly Registered
India

Post by raushan » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:19 am

Entrepreneur9 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:30 am
raushan - Its the website error. Looks like they have been updating it from last couple of days.

Please note - There are currently some special appointments at the Goswell centre (London) on Saturday - 26 March 2022. There are only 2 slots available.

Please follow the link below to book your appointment.

https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/weeke ... ular-camp/

Good Luck
Thanks - I was wondering what’s wrong. Sadly HMPO still haven’t sent back my Indian passport so can’t book for 26th. Hopefully they’ll fix it or have more dates after that.

abhaygupta17
Newly Registered
India

Post by abhaygupta17 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:27 pm

Facing the same issue as raushan does, no option to select the centre to book the passport surrender appointment at HCI London portal. Could someone please be so kind to let us know if there is any other way to book eg. any email, phone etc. to reach & book?

Thanks in advance.

ns6
Newly Registered

Post by ns6 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:32 pm

abhaygupta17 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:27 pm
Facing the same issue as raushan does, no option to select the centre to book the passport surrender appointment at HCI London portal. Could someone please be so kind to let us know if there is any other way to book eg. any email, phone etc. to reach & book?

Thanks in advance.
Any joy?

imab

Post by imab » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:02 pm

The passport surrender certificates I received for my 2 kids are in very poor condition - crumpled, almost torn in some areas and with dirt / ink marks indicating mishandling before the certificate was put into an envelope.

Is this the norm and expected delivery quality?

In any case, I had written to VFS and the generic email address on embassy website with pictures of the certificate. Is there any other email address I should write to?

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:56 pm

imab wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:02 pm
The passport surrender certificates I received for my 2 kids are in very poor condition - crumpled, almost torn in some areas and with dirt / ink marks indicating mishandling before the certificate was put into an envelope.

In any case, I had written to VFS and the generic email address on embassy website with pictures of the certificate. Is there any other email address I should write to?
I experienced the same with my wife's certificate, wrote to the complaints email for vfs and they got back to me with a new copy. It took around 3 days.

If nearby the vfs centre please visit and get it sorted.

imab

Post by imab » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:17 am

dontringthebell wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:56 pm
imab wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:02 pm

I experienced the same with my wife's certificate, wrote to the complaints email for vfs and they got back to me with a new copy. It took around 3 days.

If nearby the vfs centre please visit and get it sorted.
Many Thanks - I reached out to VFS Goswell and they advised collecting the duplicate when I will be there again for the OCI appointment on May 04. I must say that they have been very quick in responding.

chavachows3
Newly Registered

Post by chavachows3 » Fri May 20, 2022 10:03 am

Hi @msen

I applied for my wife's surrender of indian passport.

What is the link for tracking the status? What is the file number they are asking for?

Thanks

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by mesn » Fri May 20, 2022 3:18 pm

chavachows3 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:03 am
Hi @msen

What is the link for tracking the status? What is the file number they are asking for?

Thanks
https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html
Application Reference Number should look like 22-2000827XXX

chavachows3
Newly Registered

Post by chavachows3 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:44 pm

Thank you

tharmia81
India

Post by tharmia81 » Wed May 25, 2022 11:48 am

mesn wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:18 pm
chavachows3 wrote:
Hi @msen

Thanks
Hi, Can you please tell me how long does it takes to get a surrender certificate?
Thanks

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by mesn » Wed May 25, 2022 12:53 pm

tharmia81 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:48 am
mesn wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:18 pm
chavachows3 wrote:
Hi @msen

Thanks
Hi, Can you please tell me how long does it takes to get a surrender certificate?
Thanks
Got ours in a week. Submitted on Friday. Got them on Thursday.

keentotravel55
Newly Registered

Post by keentotravel55 » Wed May 25, 2022 6:26 pm

How are people managing to book their appointments for surrender? There are none showing for England at all

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by mesn » Sun May 29, 2022 7:02 am

keentotravel55 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:26 pm
How are people managing to book their appointments for surrender? There are none showing for England at all
They open at mid night India time for 6 weeks in advance. London and around appointments get booked super quick. There is Edinburgh available for 31May for example if you can travel. Also, if you have urgent need, you can reach out to HCI for a sooner appointment.

sab516
India

Post by sab516 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:59 pm

Hi Forum members,

I had my Surrender passport appt at VFS Hounslow today and had a very good customer service/experience.
I had my OCI appt instead of Surrender, as I missed my Surrender appt due to super long delay by HMPO to return my supporting documents. Although there was a massive backlog/queue and I had to wait for 2.5 hrs for my 10:45 appt, I was served by around 13:15. I took my luck and explained my case to the lady, after some Indian negotiations she got my OCI appt converted to Surrender (after speaking to her supervisor). Thankfully, she accepted my application and suggested 2 weeks of wait time for Surrender passport. Overall, very pleased with the staff's empathy and best customer service given the centre was overcrowded and staff were super busy.

Date of Appointment/document submission - 06/07/2022
Applicant update on Passport Seva website : Fee received and application with Embassy

I will update my post again as soon as I receive my Surrender passport certificate.

sab516
India

Post by sab516 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:56 am

sab516 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:59 pm

Surrender Passport timelines:
Application update on Passport Seva website on 06/07/2022 : Fee received and application with Embassy
Application update on Passport Seva website on 08/07/2022 : Surrender certificate has been printed
Surrender Certificate received : XXXXX

Spa
Newly Registered
India

Post by Spa » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:13 pm

Can I book appointment before submitting application as I'm still waiting for naturalization certificate for my child. If yes, what should I put in ref no while booking appointment.

sab516
India

Post by sab516 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:30 pm

sab516 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:56 am
sab516 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:59 pm

Surrender Passport timelines:
Application update on Passport Seva website on 06/07/2022 : Fee received and application with Embassy
Application update on Passport Seva website on 08/07/2022 : Surrender certificate has been printed
10/07/2022 : Surrender Certificate received
Comments- Royal mail tracking showed documents were dispatched by VFS on 09/07. Strangely though, VFS' s email alerts were sent on 11/07, a day after I had already received the documents :D . Utter waste of money on these SMS service charge.