ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:08 am

Alk1978 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:34 am
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:35 pm
firefighter664 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:44 pm
SrMcNix wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:59 pm
firefighter664 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:45 pm
Lucky enough to have been added to the FBR in January after waiting over 27 months and immediately applied for my passport. Sorry to break it to you but it's been more than a further 4 month wait for that as a first time applicant. Good luck to everyone still waiting.
Have you received your passport yet or are you still waiting?
It's in the 'printing' stage now so I hope to have it within a week. When you come to apply for your passports online, don't be fooled by the 'estimated issue date' they provide on the online tracker once you apply. Mine still says an issue date of 28 April 22 (they started processing it on 16 Feb) and I don't have it yet!
That is brutal. I wonder what is the plan for them and the FBR folks to ever get out from under the backlog. unless they double or triple the staff, I don't see how they could.
Brutal is accurate. 4 months means I don’t think I’ll have a passport before November and I was approved in May. It’s getting ridiculous.

Question - I can use an unneeded driver license photocard in place of my British passport for the Irish passport application right? They can think again if they think I’ll miss the Berlin Marathon while my British passport sits in a pile of dust in Dublin.
Same. I'm Feb 14, 2020. I was hoping to have my cert by July, and then passport by Oct. Now I'll be happy to have my cert in August which would put my passport as well in November/December if I'm lucky. I'm not even confident in that, since it's almost 1/2 way through June, and have seen very few Feb applications come through. UGH.

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:49 am

The FBR made an update to their website on the 27th May saying the were spinning up a new team dedicated to FBR. The same page STILL quotes a year to 18 months to process.

You would think they would change that. It seems like it's more accurately 2.5 years for some of our posters. It feels slower now than in the pandemic.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:04 am

Alk1978 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:30 am
Sigh.

Was happy to get an email that my citizenship is about to be approved and my certificate mailed.

However that was almost a month ago now. Obvs I just want it asap so I can stick the damn thing in an envelope straight back to them for the passport wait.

Any recent advice on how long Between the “You’re about to be approved” and actual cert in hand?
For me this is a very good indication that they're hardly working on FBR at the moment due to passport backlogs - we know this has been their policy before, your post above and the lack of other approvals helps to support this theory.

Incidentally, I was in Dublin a few weeks ago and the first thing I saw when arriving in the hotel was a newspaper, headline to the effect of - there is no backlog & blaming any delays on form errors.

If this theory is true, then I don't expect much success for many of us before the end of Summer - we know that most people need passports for summer holidays, and many have let old passports expire.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:10 am

Apple10 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:49 am
The FBR made an update to their website on the 27th May saying the were spinning up a new team dedicated to FBR. The same page STILL quotes a year to 18 months to process.

You would think they would change that. It seems like it's more accurately 2.5 years for some of our posters. It feels slower now than in the pandemic.
One thing is certain, the wait has consistently been 6 months ahead of published timelines as a minimum

I saw this on Kildare Street recently
Due to the complex nature of the FBR process, the large increase in applications received following the Brexit vote in the UK, and the pause in the Service due to necessary Covid-19 restrictions, applicants should allow approximately 26 months from the receipt of supporting documentation for processing of FBR applications at this time
I suspect the 'real' wait time is 29 or 30 months at the moment

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:37 am

I'm trying to sort out my partners application for German citizenship which is a much more convoluted process than the Irish one. I will be about 14 months ahead of him in terms of submitting docs to the relevant places.

I'm betting he will have a German passport before I get accepted onto the FBR :D

SrMcNix
Newly Registered
Bermuda

Post by SrMcNix » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:11 pm

Alk1978 wrote:
Sigh.

Was happy to get an email that my citizenship is about to be approved and my certificate mailed.

However that was almost a month ago now. Obvs I just want it asap so I can stick the damn thing in an envelope straight back to them for the passport wait.

Any recent advice on how long Between the “You’re about to be approved” and actual cert in hand?
I am in the same boat. I got my address confirm two weeks ago and replied within 3 minutes, but I have heard nothing since.

SrMcNix
Newly Registered
Bermuda

Post by SrMcNix » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:11 pm

Alk1978 wrote:
Sigh.

I am in the same boat. I got my address confirm two weeks ago and replied within 3 minutes, but I have heard nothing since.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:42 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:10 am
Apple10 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:49 am

One thing is certain, the wait has consistently been 6 months ahead of published timelines as a minimum

I saw this on Kildare Street recently
Due to the complex nature of the FBR process, the large increase in applications received following the Brexit vote in the UK, and the pause in the Service due to necessary Covid-19 restrictions, applicants should allow approximately 26 months from the receipt of supporting documentation for processing of FBR applications at this time
I suspect the 'real' wait time is 29 or 30 months at the moment
26 months they're saying now? sigh, I assume this is because so many people, myself included are significantly past the 24. months mark previously stated. I'll be 28 months next week. I suspect at some point in the near future is will be 36 months, just to get people to stop asking for updates.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:45 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:04 am
Alk1978 wrote:
Sigh.

For me this is a very good indication that they're hardly working on FBR at the moment due to passport backlogs - we know this has been their policy before, your post above and the lack of other approvals helps to support this theory.

Incidentally, I was in Dublin a few weeks ago and the first thing I saw when arriving in the hotel was a newspaper, headline to the effect of - there is no backlog & blaming any delays on form errors.

If this theory is true, then I don't expect much success for many of us before the end of Summer - we know that most people need passports for summer holidays, and many have let old passports expire.
How absurd. So in one breath they're saying "there is no backlog" while in the other they are changing the approximate time to 26 months because of the backlog that Covid and Brexit created. Just early this year, they publicly stated there was a backlog of 40,000 applications which is why they were hiring more staff.

Scaoife
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Scaoife » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:49 am

Hi everyone. I am a March 2020 applicant (for my kids) and hoping to get some news soon, but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for advice on how to apply for passports once you're on the FBR? I can't figure out how to get past the 'you need to apply to go on the FBR' advice on the website. What documents am I likely to need, does anyone know?

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:18 am

Scaoife wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:49 am
Hi everyone. I am a March 2020 applicant (for my kids) and hoping to get some news soon, but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for advice on how to apply for passports once you're on the FBR? I can't figure out how to get past the 'you need to apply to go on the FBR' advice on the website. What documents am I likely to need, does anyone know?
You should submit the following documentation with your application:

Your full civil birth certificate
Your civil marriage or civil partnership certificate
(if you have changed your surname)
Proof of address
Proof of name

Copy of your Public Services Card or original government issued photo identification document
If resident in Northern Ireland or abroad, you must supply either an original passport, national ID card, social security card; or a certified copy of your driving licence
You may be required to send additional documents as well as those listed above depending on your particular situation.

If you became an Irish citizen through the foreign birth register process – you should also include:
Your foreign birth registration certificate
Your foreign passport

(I believe notarised copy of original passport are accepted)

Scaoife
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Scaoife » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:15 pm

Thanks very much, that's brilliant.

ripforreallldo
United States of America

Post by ripforreallldo » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:49 pm

does anyone know if you are legally allowed to reside in the UK with the foreign birth registration as you wait for the passport?

V3rvangen
Newly Registered

Post by V3rvangen » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:52 pm

SrMcNix wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:11 pm
Alk1978 wrote:
Sigh.

Same situation for me. Over 3 weeks since the 'your application will be approved shortly' email, replied within 5 minutes and nothing since, just a promise I would be told when the certificate was dispatched. I thought the days of certificate printing delays were behind us!

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:56 pm

ripforreallldo wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:49 pm
does anyone know if you are legally allowed to reside in the UK with the foreign birth registration as you wait for the passport?
If you are on the Foreign Births Register then you are a citizen of Ireland & are eligible for CTA rights where British and Irish citizens can move freely and reside in either jurisdiction and enjoy associated rights and privileges, including the right to work, study and vote, as well as to access social welfare benefits and health services. If you are waiting to be added to the register then no.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:32 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:04 am
Alk1978 wrote:
Sigh.

I thought FBR and passport were separate teams?

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:35 pm

V3rvangen wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:52 pm
SrMcNix wrote:
Alk1978 wrote:
Sigh.

Same situation for me. Over 3 weeks since the 'your application will be approved shortly' email, replied within 5 minutes and nothing since, just a promise I would be told when the certificate was dispatched. I thought the days of certificate printing delays were behind us!
I also don't understand, the certificate is just physical evidence that you're on the FBR registry. Why would the Irish embassy need that? It's their database. Can they just take your proof of identity and such and look you up in the registry to confirm you're eligible for a passport? I can understand why another embassy would need the paper cert, but the one that printed it should not. IMHO.

joemac41
Ireland

Post by joemac41 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:16 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:35 pm
V3rvangen wrote:
SrMcNix wrote:
Alk1978 wrote:
Sigh.

I also don't understand, the certificate is just physical evidence that you're on the FBR registry. Why would the Irish embassy need that? It's their database. Can they just take your proof of identity and such and look you up in the registry to confirm you're eligible for a passport? I can understand why another embassy would need the paper cert, but the one that printed it should not. IMHO.
Because the law was written in 1956 and updated in 1986 before everything was computerized and probably says it specifically in there. Just my opinion.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:57 pm

ripforreallldo wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:49 pm
in theory yes, but it might be tough to prove to immigration authorities/employer/etc without a passport
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

HPFA
Newly Registered

Post by HPFA » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:55 pm

Still claiming that things will be speeded up this year but I'm sure we all have our doubts.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... 06-01/129/

Seamus067
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Seamus067 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:40 pm

The info on here has been helpful so I’ll just add mine for others waiting patiently:
Application sent Jan 2020
Address confirmation email 19 May 2022
No final email yet
So it does appear it’s going to be longer than the three weeks others had.

rsw1010
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by rsw1010 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:07 pm

SrMcNix wrote:
Alk1978 wrote:
Sigh.

I had a similar email, replied straight away with address and then nothing for a few days so I emailed back to ask if it got approved to then got a 'yeah it was approved a few days ago. Certificate should be printed in 4 weeks'

Currently on week 3 and nothing yet!

martingeorge
Newly Registered

Post by martingeorge » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:33 pm

Hi all, I hope that this post will help others to understand how it can progress from Confirmation of address.

Confirmation for address requested by 'e' mail on 25 May 2022
I was already on my laptop so replied within minutes on the same day.
'e' mail confirmation arrived 26 May 2022 as follows....''Thank You for your prompt reply.
I have now approved your application and your name has been entered on the register.
Your documents and certificate confirming your Foreign Birth Registration will be sent to you by registered post.''
On 31 May, I then sent for an update to ask if I would be sent an 'e' mail when the FBR Cert and Documents were likely to be sent so that I would be able to ensure that I would be at home for receipt as I had travel plans over the next few weeks.
Same day and less than an hour later the reply is shown as sent....''You will receive an email when your certificate is printed and posted along with your documents.There is currently a 4-6 week backlog in the printing section so hopefully you will be back from your travels by then.'' Obviously I am now waiting for my notification of FBR being sent as of now.

Hope this helps, good luck to all, MartinGeorge

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:03 pm

joemac41 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:16 pm
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:35 pm
V3rvangen wrote:
SrMcNix wrote:
Alk1978 wrote:
Sigh.

Because the law was written in 1956 and updated in 1986 before everything was computerized and probably says it specifically in there. Just my opinion.
Could be something like that. At the very least they should update the process to allow you to apply to the FBR and a passport as a package and avoid a months worth of time sending the FBR cert back and forth across the Atlantic. Oh well, like the rest of us I'm just getting very weary of this process at the 28 months point without a clear end in sight.

Alk1978
Newly Registered

Post by Alk1978 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:08 pm

I did email them back recently after getting my “your application will shortly be approved” on 13th May to ask why I’d not heard further and just got the standard “it’s in the mix, be patient and it will happen soon enough” response. Tomorrow is officially a month with no further news. Does the word “shortly” mean something else in Gaelic? :)

Oh well, at least we have this board to vent and check in. Beyond that there is sweet FA we can do about it.

Someone asked if notarised passports are OK for your FBR application - I can confirm that they are. For any lurkers here who are about to start the process, I can recommend two things:

1) Birth, death and marriage certificates are a matter of public record. Anyone can buy a copy of anyone’s. If you want a copy of Madonna and Guy Ritchie’s marriage certificate, you can have it ordered online within about three minutes. Point being that for me, rather than spending five months begging mum and grandma to get up in the loft and dig out certificates, I threw a little money at the issue and within 30 minutes had ordered certified copies of the four certificates I needed and they arrived days later. Way easier.

2) Search for a public notary, get everything you need together and have them notarise every single thing you need doing in one swoop, including passport copies (they will of course need to review the original and compare). They have a fancy stamp that they then sign and you can hold onto your passport.

I’ll update you all when I finally either get a confirmation email or the certificate just turns up unannounced. What’s sad is that I’ve spoken to so many people of late (in London) who would be eligible for FBR, and when I tell them it’s realistically going to take about 3 years until they actually have an Irish passport, they just feel that’s so far away, why bother. I disagree of course, but being that my friends are generally in their 40s you can understand why the possibility of getting an Irish passport in 2025 isn’t encouraging them to make the relatively high level of effort to start the process. That’s a real shame.