ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GTV to ILR 18+ Dependents

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shan1403
Pakistan

GTV to ILR 18+ Dependents

Post by shan1403 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:48 am

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I wanted to thank this forum and everyone here, especially the moderators, who have helped me during the visa and ILR process from the beginning.

Secondly, here is my case right now.

I have received my ILR while on GTV Visa and had an endorsement from the Royal Society (3 years route). My wife (on a separate GTV visa) will be applying for ILR (3 years route) in 12/2022. Our children are on GTV-dependent visas (on my GTV-dependent visa valid until 12/2024, but now I have ILR) and one of them will be 18 on 01/2023.

I have the following questions and will highly appreciate it if any moderator or member can answer these questions:
  • My children have to spend 5 years for ILR or they can apply early as one (or both) of their parents will have ILR?
  • What will happen to the children over 18 years of age?
  • Can I or my spouse apply for citizenship one year after the ILR? Or do we have to wait until we complete 5 years in the kingdom?
  • If I and my spouse will be on ILR, is this going to shift our children to 10 years route for ILR/Citizenship? They are on GTV-dependent visas now.
Appreciate a prompt reply as I always receive from this forum.

Thanks again.
:D :D

vinny

Re: GTV to ILR 18+ Dependents

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:26 am

shan1403 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:48 am
My children have to spend 5 years for ILR or they can apply early as one (or both) of their parents will have ILR?
Can apply when both parents have ILR, under GT 27.3.
shan1403 wrote:
What will happen to the children over 18 years of age?
They have to satisfy English and KoL, under GT 32.1.-GT 33.1., etc.
shan1403 wrote:
Can I or my spouse apply for citizenship one year after the ILR? Or do we have to wait until we complete 5 years in the kingdom?
Wait until complete 5 years in the kingdom.
shan1403 wrote:
If I and my spouse will be on ILR, is this going to shift our children to 10 years route for ILR/Citizenship? They are on GTV-dependent visas now.
No.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

shan1403
Pakistan

Post by shan1403 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:28 pm

Hi Vinny,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Could you please give me any reference to the citizenship rule that I cannot apply for citizenship before 5 years?

This is rather absurd to know that one cannot apply for citizenship before 5 years when the Home Office is encouraging early ILR based on the endorsement.

Thanks again and appreciate it if you could provide further advice?

Best regards.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:18 pm

Naturalisation is subject to Section 6. Section 6(1) requires at least 5 years’ UK residence. You are ineligible under Section 6(2).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.