ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

duffy1867

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by duffy1867 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:39 pm

Alk1978 wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:08 pm
1) Birth, death and marriage certificates are a matter of public record. Anyone can buy a copy of anyone’s. If you want a copy of Madonna and Guy Ritchie’s marriage certificate, you can have it ordered online within about three minutes. Point being that for me, rather than spending five months begging mum and grandma to get up in the loft and dig out certificates, I threw a little money at the issue and within 30 minutes had ordered certified copies of the four certificates I needed and they arrived days later. Way easier.
If I had followed this advice, I'd have applied in November 2019, and would have my FBR now - great advice and for the sake of £/$/€30, 100% worth it
Alk1978 wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:08 pm
I’ll update you all when I finally either get a confirmation email or the certificate just turns up unannounced. What’s sad is that I’ve spoken to so many people of late (in London) who would be eligible for FBR, and when I tell them it’s realistically going to take about 3 years until they actually have an Irish passport, they just feel that’s so far away, why bother. I disagree of course, but being that my friends are generally in their 40s you can understand why the possibility of getting an Irish passport in 2025 isn’t encouraging them to make the relatively high level of effort to start the process. That’s a real shame.
I like the reflection too, but even as someone two years four months in, I still think it will take three years to have passport in hand :lol:

One thing I would say to anyone, if you apply or not - three years will pass anyway

Heres to hoping for a busier week on the FBR approvals stage

flaggaz
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by flaggaz » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:33 pm

JT97 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:22 am
flaggaz wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:41 am
Hi everyone! About to send in applications for FBR for both of our children at the same time, and have a question about supporting evidence and photos. I know you can send just one copy of the grandparent's and parent's birth certificates and marriage certificates, and state that it goes with both applications, but do you have to send in separate copies of everything else, even if they're all in the same packet? For example, if it says to provide four photos of the Irish citizen parent (myself) and have two of them witnessed, does that mean I would need to provide eight photos and have four of them witnessed if I'm applying for two children at the same time? The instructions online aren't really clear.
Me and my brother submitted a joint application. We just did one set of everything for our grandparent and parent. So just 4 photos.
Thanks, that's what I'll do. Did you run into any hiccups with the joint application, or did it all go smoothly?

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:06 pm

martingeorge wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:33 pm
Hi all, I hope that this post will help others to understand how it can progress from Confirmation of address.

Confirmation for address requested by 'e' mail on 25 May 2022
I was already on my laptop so replied within minutes on the same day.
'e' mail confirmation arrived 26 May 2022 as follows....''Thank You for your prompt reply.
I have now approved your application and your name has been entered on the register.
Your documents and certificate confirming your Foreign Birth Registration will be sent to you by registered post.''
On 31 May, I then sent for an update to ask if I would be sent an 'e' mail when the FBR Cert and Documents were likely to be sent so that I would be able to ensure that I would be at home for receipt as I had travel plans over the next few weeks.
Same day and less than an hour later the reply is shown as sent....''You will receive an email when your certificate is printed and posted along with your documents.There is currently a 4-6 week backlog in the printing section so hopefully you will be back from your travels by then.'' Obviously I am now waiting for my notification of FBR being sent as of now.

Hope this helps, good luck to all, MartinGeorge
Thanks for information, it's helpful to know what's going on since they don't actually communicate anything.
4 - 6 weeks for printing now ... oof but okay. I'm guessing that means that including post, the process of getting the cert after you've been added to the FBR is about 2 months all in. I'm guessing that means us Feb 2020 applicants will be getting our certs sometime in the fall and passports early 2023.
Not great news to anyone, but good to actually know something.

joemac41
Ireland

Post by joemac41 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:29 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:06 pm
martingeorge wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:33 pm
Hi all, I hope that this post will help others to understand how it can progress from Confirmation of address.

Confirmation for address requested by 'e' mail on 25 May 2022
I was already on my laptop so replied within minutes on the same day.
'e' mail confirmation arrived 26 May 2022 as follows....''Thank You for your prompt reply.
I have now approved your application and your name has been entered on the register.
Your documents and certificate confirming your Foreign Birth Registration will be sent to you by registered post.''
On 31 May, I then sent for an update to ask if I would be sent an 'e' mail when the FBR Cert and Documents were likely to be sent so that I would be able to ensure that I would be at home for receipt as I had travel plans over the next few weeks.
Same day and less than an hour later the reply is shown as sent....''You will receive an email when your certificate is printed and posted along with your documents.There is currently a 4-6 week backlog in the printing section so hopefully you will be back from your travels by then.'' Obviously I am now waiting for my notification of FBR being sent as of now.

Hope this helps, good luck to all, MartinGeorge
Thanks for information, it's helpful to know what's going on since they don't actually communicate anything.
4 - 6 weeks for printing now ... oof but okay. I'm guessing that means that including post, the process of getting the cert after you've been added to the FBR is about 2 months all in. I'm guessing that means us Feb 2020 applicants will be getting our certs sometime in the fall and passports early 2023.
Not great news to anyone, but good to actually know something.
I am honestly starting to think the speed of the processing of thr FBR is tied to the number of passport applications that come in. I think to them, FBR applications are not citizens yet and are the lowest on the rung and if they approve too many it will increase the backlog of the passport applications and slow down the process for those who are renewing and those who are putting in the first time applications. So they temper the speed of FBR processing to what comes in to the passport office, since all the FBR applications pretty much apply for passports. It sucks, but makes sense. And even though I was approved by the FBR, my partner's application is 6 months behine mine, so I am here keeping checking on the dates, hoping she is approved before the end of the year.
Last edited by joemac41 on Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:56 pm

If your theory is true, FBR will now go down drastically, since ceremony on June 20th will cause a heap of new Irish citizens by naturalization apply for a passport. They've hired some temporary staff to Passport office, but doubt it'll be enough to keep passport processing speed on the same level.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:05 am

meself2 wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:56 pm
If your theory is true, FBR will now go down drastically, since ceremony on June 20th will cause a heap of new Irish citizens by naturalization apply for a passport. They've hired some temporary staff to Passport office, but doubt it'll be enough to keep passport processing speed on the same level.
Not sure I believe they intentionally stagger FBR applications to slow down passport applications, but I certainly think you're right that it's a lower priority, which is why they only allow for expedited applications for pregnant applicants and stateless babies.

Curious, has anyone from late January - February 2022 called the FBR phone number and asked for an update?
They announced a 2 year approximation a few months ago, and seems like many of us are now approaching 28 and 29 months. Has anyone called? Seems reasonable to simply ask for an update I would think.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:44 am

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:05 am

Curious, has anyone from late January - February 2022 called the FBR phone number and asked for an update?
They announced a 2 year approximation a few months ago, and seems like many of us are now approaching 28 and 29 months. Has anyone called? Seems reasonable to simply ask for an update I would think.
I tried to call various times last week - I never got past the automated message

I also tried the chat, same result.

Incidentally, other than waiting patiently, I have only contacted them once before this, September 21 at a guess, when I was told that FBR was closed, and they couldn't help me anyway

Jamesvii
Newly Registered

Post by Jamesvii » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:40 am

mari1234 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:59 am
maishun wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:23 am
mari1234 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:47 pm
Incredible news! My FBR application has been approved. Here's my journey:
    Applied online March 2021. Held off sending docs as instructed due to Covid.
      Found out I was pregnant, Oct 2021. Asked you lovely people for advice.
        Contacted Passport Webchat (FBR webchat closed) for advice. Given this email to contact: fbr.urgentqueries@dfa.ie
          Emailed FBR team and got a response 29/10. Advised to send all the docs I had, including proof of pregnancy, immediately, & to write 'Expectant Parent' on the envelope along with application number.
            Also advised to have Irish grandfather's death certificate corrected (wrong by 6 days!) and mum's passport renewed (expired in May 2021) just in case they asked for it at a later date. In my case they didn't!
              Sent everything I had from London on 8th Nov, received in Balbriggan on 11th Nov.
                Received this email today 19th Nov:

Your Foreign Births Registration application received 11/11/21 was expedited as you are an expectant parent. It is now approved and you are entered on the Registry.

A Foreign Births Registration Certificate and your original documents will be returned to you by registered post to your address at [postcode] and will require a signature on delivery.

You will receive email notification once FBR certificate is printed and documents will then be returned.

I'm stunned. I knew my case was very straightforward but still, this is fast! I hope it's heartening to some who may be in a similar situation, and to all to know that they are there working on processing.

It may take months to receive the certificate, who knows, but I'm obviously so relieved to have been approved in time. Thank you again to everyone on this forum who offered me advice. The luck of the Irish to you all. :D
                You are so lucky that FBR only took less than a month to deal with your pregnancy acceleration. And my pregnancy acceleration has not passed yet
                Yes, I am lucky! It literally took nine days. I can only imagine that this is due to mine being a very simple case - Irish granddad, British-born Irish citizen mum. I found my granddad in Irish records with a two-minute Google and all my documents were in order. Aside from the backlog and being in a queue, there's no reason it should've taken any longer than a few days for FBR to actually work out the connection/approve me. I always knew I'd be approved. I just thought it would take months and months.

9 days! I'm an expectant parent and just sent my application on Thursday (9th June). My baby is due on the 19th November.

Unfortunately I didn't read this forum beforehand and, although I left a very clear note at the front of my application, I didn't leave a note on the envelope!

Is it likely mine will just get stuck in a pile of unopened envelopes now? I think I'll send an email in a couple of weeks to explain my situation further and pray for a resolution before November.

Jamesvii
                Newly Registered

Post by Jamesvii » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:40 am

mari1234 wrote:
                Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:59 am
                maishun wrote:
                Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:23 am
                mari1234 wrote:
                Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:47 pm
                Incredible news! My FBR application has been approved. Here's my journey:
                  Applied online March 2021. Held off sending docs as instructed due to Covid.
                    Found out I was pregnant, Oct 2021. Asked you lovely people for advice.
                      Contacted Passport Webchat (FBR webchat closed) for advice. Given this email to contact: fbr.urgentqueries@dfa.ie
                        Emailed FBR team and got a response 29/10. Advised to send all the docs I had, including proof of pregnancy, immediately, & to write 'Expectant Parent' on the envelope along with application number.
                          Also advised to have Irish grandfather's death certificate corrected (wrong by 6 days!) and mum's passport renewed (expired in May 2021) just in case they asked for it at a later date. In my case they didn't!
                            Sent everything I had from London on 8th Nov, received in Balbriggan on 11th Nov.
                              Received this email today 19th Nov:

Your Foreign Births Registration application received 11/11/21 was expedited as you are an expectant parent. It is now approved and you are entered on the Registry.

A Foreign Births Registration Certificate and your original documents will be returned to you by registered post to your address at [postcode] and will require a signature on delivery.

You will receive email notification once FBR certificate is printed and documents will then be returned.

I'm stunned. I knew my case was very straightforward but still, this is fast! I hope it's heartening to some who may be in a similar situation, and to all to know that they are there working on processing.

It may take months to receive the certificate, who knows, but I'm obviously so relieved to have been approved in time. Thank you again to everyone on this forum who offered me advice. The luck of the Irish to you all. :D
                              You are so lucky that FBR only took less than a month to deal with your pregnancy acceleration. And my pregnancy acceleration has not passed yet
                              Yes, I am lucky! It literally took nine days. I can only imagine that this is due to mine being a very simple case - Irish granddad, British-born Irish citizen mum. I found my granddad in Irish records with a two-minute Google and all my documents were in order. Aside from the backlog and being in a queue, there's no reason it should've taken any longer than a few days for FBR to actually work out the connection/approve me. I always knew I'd be approved. I just thought it would take months and months.

9 days! I'm an expectant parent and just sent my application on Thursday (9th June). My baby is due on the 19th November.

Unfortunately I didn't read this forum beforehand and, although I left a very clear note at the front of my application, I didn't leave a note on the envelope!

Is it likely mine will just get stuck in a pile of unopened envelopes now? I think I'll send an email in a couple of weeks to explain my situation further and pray for a resolution before November.

Mr_Knight
                              Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:11 pm

Jamesvii wrote:
                              Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:40 am

Personally I would not delay contacting them via email/phone, FBR/Passport service to either that will respond explaining the situation. Without the note on front of envelope it will just be stuck in the pile.

joemac41
                              Ireland

Post by joemac41 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:42 pm

meself2 wrote:
                              Not necessarily since naturalized citizens are living in Ireland and will appply for their passports when they plan on a trip. Some will but some won't have the need. FBR's on the other hand are specifically signing up for a passport, since that's the reason to get on the FBR.

MikeyMike
                              Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:19 pm

joemac41 wrote:
                              Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:42 pm
                              meself2 wrote:
                              Not necessarily since naturalized citizens are living in Ireland and will appply for their passports when they plan on a trip. Some will but some won't have the need. FBR's on the other hand are specifically signing up for a passport, since that's the reason to get on the FBR.
                              Not all FBR applicants will apply for an Irish passport straightaway. For example, expectant mothers who simply want to maintain their Irish lineage and Brits who have no immediate requirement for an EU passport. Myself, I might want to work in the EU again or ultimately retire there but my UK passport will suffice for now (holidays etc) and the CTA means I can already move freely between the UK and Ireland for any purpose.

meself2
                              Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:50 pm

joemac41 wrote:
                              Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:42 pm
                              meself2 wrote:
                              I would disagree on that: naturalized citizens need to prove their lawful residence and their entitlement to things when they look for work/apartment/etc and naturalization certificate is certainly not as good to do so compared to passport.
                              Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Dalton_Trumbo
                              Member of Standing
                              Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:47 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
                              Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:44 am
                              Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
                              Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:05 am

I tried to call various times last week - I never got past the automated message

I also tried the chat, same result.

Incidentally, other than waiting patiently, I have only contacted them once before this, September 21 at a guess, when I was told that FBR was closed, and they couldn't help me anyway
                              What chat did you try? Last time I looked the FBR chat wasn't even showing up on the page for me. If you could send me a link to the page with the chat function I'd greatly appreciate it.

JT97

Post by JT97 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:52 pm

flaggaz wrote:
                              Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:33 pm
                              JT97 wrote:
                              Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:22 am
                              flaggaz wrote:
                              Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:41 am
                              Hi everyone! About to send in applications for FBR for both of our children at the same time, and have a question about supporting evidence and photos. I know you can send just one copy of the grandparent's and parent's birth certificates and marriage certificates, and state that it goes with both applications, but do you have to send in separate copies of everything else, even if they're all in the same packet? For example, if it says to provide four photos of the Irish citizen parent (myself) and have two of them witnessed, does that mean I would need to provide eight photos and have four of them witnessed if I'm applying for two children at the same time? The instructions online aren't really clear.
                              Me and my brother submitted a joint application. We just did one set of everything for our grandparent and parent. So just 4 photos.
                              Thanks, that's what I'll do. Did you run into any hiccups with the joint application, or did it all go smoothly?
                              I can’t comment on any issues as we’re still in the queue waiting to be approved. However, the website said one set of documents for grandparent and parent so I didn’t see any need to double the number of photos. I suppose we’ll see what happens when they finally get to September 2020 applications. But for now I don’t see that happening any time soon.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:25 am

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
                              Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:47 pm
                              What chat did you try? Last time I looked the FBR chat wasn't even showing up on the page for me. If you could send me a link to the page with the chat function I'd greatly appreciate it.
                              I used this page (right at the bottom, if you get through - select 'citizenship'):

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/contact/

I know people have had success using this approach - not recently, but success nevertheless

Let me know if you get through

freedombridge
                              Newly Registered
                              Canada

Post by freedombridge » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:03 pm

Hi everyone, just got through on the webchat for an update on my passport and wanted to provide an update for those of you moving onto this stage..

Here's my timeline:

FBR application online: sometime in March 2019 (took me until Dec. to actually send off my docs though)
                              Docs received in Dublin: January 7 2020
                              Confirmation of address: March 1 2022
                              Passport application: March 24 2022 (I sent off my passport app like 1-2 days after my FBR certificate arrived, so I think it arrived in Canada March 22 or 23)

I didn't anticipate my passport would take too long (rookie mistake after waiting 2+ years for my FBR), so I just sent off my application immediately and sent in my Canadian passport. DON'T DO THIS lol. Take the extra couple days and get a notarized copy. My biggest anxiety is that I don't have my original passport right now. I also sent my application directly to Ireland, but I've been reading some conflicting info about sending it to a Canadian embassy/consulate. Oh well.

Anyway. My estimated date on the online tracker is May 26 2022. The webchat agent today told me that non-domestic passport applications are currently delayed by 15-20 working days from the online tracker's estimated date. The estimated date won't change at any point, but it will show processing --> printing --> dispatched, and then there will be a tracking code for delivery.

Hope this is helpful to anyone waiting on a passport or getting ready to apply!

R0b0tQ
                              Newly Registered
                              Mood:

Post by R0b0tQ » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:45 pm

Hi all

New to this, but been digging around online for some vague idea of when I’m likely to hear back on my Irish FBR application. Saw some snippets about 2020 applications starting to be approved so I have hope!!

Received an automated email confirming application received on 24/Aug/2020. So I think still a few months off yet!

Any further insight would be great!
                              Thanks, Rob

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:37 pm

Think they are processing early Feb 2020 at the minute. So it's going very slowly... Looks like they have only processed 3 months worth in the last 7 months they have been open for.

Rosmuc
                              Newly Registered
                              United States of America

Post by Rosmuc » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:27 pm

Found this recently and sharing (FWIW):

Solicitor weblink removed by moderator!

R0b0tQ
                              Newly Registered
                              Mood:

Post by R0b0tQ » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:51 pm

Apple10 wrote:
                              Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:37 pm
                              Think they are processing early Feb 2020 at the minute. So it's going very slowly... Looks like they have only processed 3 months worth in the last 7 months they have been open for.
                              Aha thanks. Yeah so still a fair bit to go!

Alk1978
                              Newly Registered

Post by Alk1978 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:01 pm

Kiss me I’m Irish :lol:

I received my email today confirming I am an Irish citizen and that my certificate is in the post. The timeline for me between the email letting me know I would shortly be approved, and being approved today was 34 days.

Once I have the certificate in hand I will post again and update the spreadsheet to reflect all my key dates.

Can’t quite believe it! I’m Irish! What!

Alk1978 wrote:
                              Fri May 13, 2022 3:27 pm
                              Looks like they’re getting through them - I just got my email confirming I will shortly be accepted as an Irish citizen and to confirm my address hasn’t changed. This was via email.

I’ll update this when I have the certificate in hand and add to the spreadsheet, but my dates so far are:

Date of application: 19/01/2020
                              Date of docs received: 30/01/2020
                              Congrats/Address confirmation: 13/05/2022

Good luck everyone!

Dalton_Trumbo
                              Member of Standing
                              Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:34 pm

Alk1978 wrote:
                              Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:01 pm
                              Kiss me I’m Irish :lol:

I received my email today confirming I am an Irish citizen and that my certificate is in the post. The timeline for me between the email letting me know I would shortly be approved, and being approved today was 34 days.

Once I have the certificate in hand I will post again and update the spreadsheet to reflect all my key dates.

Can’t quite believe it! I’m Irish! What!

Alk1978 wrote:
                              Fri May 13, 2022 3:27 pm
                              Looks like they’re getting through them - I just got my email confirming I will shortly be accepted as an Irish citizen and to confirm my address hasn’t changed. This was via email.

I’ll update this when I have the certificate in hand and add to the spreadsheet, but my dates so far are:

Date of application: 19/01/2020
                              Date of docs received: 30/01/2020
                              Congrats/Address confirmation: 13/05/2022

Good luck everyone!
                              Congrats! Thanks for info about wait time between address confirmation and addition to the FBR and cert. The latter seems ovary wildly between teams I would guess.

Hope they get moving on Feb 2020 applications soon!

Alk1978
                              Newly Registered

Post by Alk1978 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:27 pm

You’re very welcome Dalton, you are always super helpful on this forum so thanks to you for your continued input and advice.

If it helps, my case was dealt with by xxxxxxx on team 8. *Are* there any other teams? I’m pretty sure I’ve only ever heard people refer to team 8 in this forum.

I still keep shaking my head and saying to myself “I’m Irish?” - you’d think I’d have gotten used to the idea some 29 months later :lol:

Edit: Employee's name removed for personal privacy.

teacaddy
                              Newly Registered

Post by teacaddy » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:16 pm

:D Woohoo! After 28 months and 6 days, I have finally had a confirmation of address email. Reading other posts on here I know it will be a while until my docs & certificate arrive, but I am SO excited! Thanks for everyone's support and good luck to everyone else who is patiently waiting. I may wait a while until I go through the passport process, just to let it sink in!