ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My healthy financially independent parents want to immigrate

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jnizz12
Mood:
South Africa

My healthy financially independent parents want to immigrate

Post by jnizz12 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:21 pm

hi,

I moved to the UK 7 years ago, my sister moved over in January. Now my parents are all alone in South Africa.

They are 62 and 65 and financially independent.

What are their options for immigration?

thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: My healthy financially independent parents want to immigrate

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:25 pm

They would have to find a visa they qualify for, such as a skilled worker visa with a sponsoring employer or innovator visa or start up visa.

If either parent has a uk born grandparent, they could apply for an ancestral visa.

There is no visa for older financially independent people.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:28 pm

I do not think that there is any immigration route for them.

There used to be a Retired Person of Independent Means visa, but that was closed a while ago.

Do either of them have a grandparent who was born in the UK? An Ancestry visa may be an option, though that is a work-oriented visa. But I have not seen a requirement that somebody on an Ancestry visa must work in the UK.

EDIT: Overtaken by CR001.

PS: There are other countries that do have visas catering towards people with an independent income, such as Portugal's D7 Visa, Spain’s Non Lucrative Visa, Greece's Financially Independent Person visa, French Long Stay Visa and Italy Elective Residency Visa. You may want to see if your parents qualify for one of those.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:41 pm

Irish Retirement Stamp 0 is also an option, but that's for the Republic.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

jnizz12
Mood:
South Africa

Post by jnizz12 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:59 pm

They dont have any British ancestry.

Is there anyway they can come over as a long term visitor with an NHS surcharge or something like that?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:02 pm

jnizz12 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:59 pm
Is there anyway they can come over as a long term visitor with an NHS surcharge or something like that?
No there is not. They cannot stay for more than 6 months as a visitor and cannot use the free NHS service as visitors.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.