ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor visa sponsorship amount

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Divu

Visitor visa sponsorship amount

Post by Divu » Thu May 12, 2022 12:18 pm

Hello Friends,

I am sponsoring my mum's visitor visa and i want to apply for the 2 years one. Mum has already visited UK once and she returned at the right time.

I am getting some mixed information and thought I will come here for some clarity.

If I want to invite my mum here for 5 or 6 months, how much money should I show in my account?
Also is this something I should have held for a longer period?
And can I show money from 2 different bank account rather than one?

Appreciate your help! Thank You.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: Visitor visa sponsorship amount

Post by Ticktack » Fri May 13, 2022 11:03 am

Divu wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 12:18 pm
Hello Friends,

I am sponsoring my mum's visitor visa and i want to apply for the 2 years one. Mum has already visited UK once and she returned at the right time.

I am getting some mixed information and thought I will come here for some clarity.

If I want to invite my mum here for 5 or 6 months, how much money should I show in my account?
Also is this something I should have held for a longer period?
And can I show money from 2 different bank account rather than one?

Appreciate your help! Thank You.
Firstly, inviting your mum for 5 or 6 months would be a very bad idea. That just raises many red flags.That's an awful long time. Invite her for 3 weeks, but apply for 2 years visa. Once she gets her visa, she can then buy a ticket for 5 months.
People change travel plans all the time.

You don't have to have too much cash. Provided you're working and getting paid, that would show that you can support her whilst she's here in the UK.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Divu

Post by Divu » Fri May 13, 2022 6:16 pm

Thank you so much for your response! I totally understand the red flag about 5-6 months and I was concerned too. I was going to in fact just to a shorter one, but I read somewhere that showing a shorter period and later extending it longer is also meant to cause issues. We did do this the first time she arrives. We extended and changed her flights.

Any thoughts experience on this situation please?

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri May 13, 2022 6:56 pm

Be very cautious about your Mum staying longer than the length of time stated in the visa application. This can raise a red flag for future visits as the visa is issued on the information given in the application, including the amount of funds available for the period of the stay. If your Mum states that she intends to stay for 3 weeks and then doesn't return home for 3 months, information given in further applications may not be seen as reliable.

She also needs to convince the Entry Clearance Officer that she has stronger reasons to return to her home country than she has to stay with you in the UK.

How much longer did she extend her stay while on the previous visitor visa?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Divu

Post by Divu » Fri May 13, 2022 7:55 pm

We applied for 3 months and I think we extended her previous stay for additional 3 months. Completely unaware at that time that this was going to be a problem :-(

Divu

Post by Divu » Sat May 14, 2022 12:11 pm

Hello Everyone! This is my list for my mum's visitor visa application. I will be sponsoring her for the visit. Is there anything else I could add to strengthen the 'ties to home country' segment.

General docs:
Mother Passport
Online UK Visa Application form
Appointment letter confirmation
Cover letter for mum with travel Itinerary
UK Visa Fee Payment Receipt
3 recent colour photographs
Original updated Bank Statements with sufficient balance (last 06 months);
Stamp & Signed by bank
International Travel Insurance covering travel date (Might not be able to show)

To prove strong ties:
Mum's Life insurance certificate (Pays this regularly)
Mum's Health insurance certificate (Pays this regularly)
Adhar card
Ration card
Gas bill under her name
Phone bill under her name
Area Association membership letter
Bank Locker statement
Bill showing monthly EMI payment for her new bike (with photo)
Trip booked in India after her UK trip
Letter from her cousin that she helps regularly in their shop

From the sponsor(myself):
Invitation letter
Passport
ILR
Council Tax bill
Gas or electricity bill
Sponsorship letter
Bank statement of last 6 months
Payslips
Birth certificate to show evidence of relationship with mother

Divu

Post by Divu » Sat May 14, 2022 3:20 pm

I also forgot to mention I will be inviting her for my wedding anniversary event so will post evidences for it too

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue May 17, 2022 12:11 pm

Divu wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:20 pm
I also forgot to mention I will be inviting her for my wedding anniversary event so will post evidences for it too
Looks good, just make sure that you explicitly say in your letter that you would be responsible for her general upkeep and accommodation whilst she's here in the UK.

Then just pray that she doesn't get assigned a crazy person. If a policeman follows a car too long, they'll find a reason to pull you over. In context, they can always find a reason to deny anyone.
Good luck!

Divu

Post by Divu » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:16 pm

Hello Friends! Please can someone let me know how important it is to show travel insurance for a standard visitor visa?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:22 pm

Divu wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:16 pm
Hello Friends! Please can someone let me know how important it is to show travel insurance for a standard visitor visa?
Not required for application of a visitor visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:07 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:22 pm
But recommended.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Divu

Post by Divu » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:11 pm

vinny wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:07 am
CR001 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:22 pm
But recommended.
Really appreciate both of your answers! Thanks

Divu

Post by Divu » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:42 am

Hello Friends and experts!

I have somehow grown extremely hopeless regarding my mum's visa after reading all the rejection stories and I am wondering if anyone here who has been in a similar situation can help?

If someone extended their period of stay during their last visit how do you remediate or address this issue in your new visa application? Is it better to be honest and mention in the cover letter why they extended and to assure that this was done without knowledge? And that we will make sure to not repeat this again?

(I can't help but regret what a blunder we had done. Now I feel we had sabotaged the chance for the future. We were just so clueless.)

I am really worried as my mum's home ties are also a bit weak because my grandparents are now expired. Whereas in our last application we said she will return to take care of them. Which she did end up doing.

In regards to her financial situation, I am sponsoring her trip as well as I support her anyway. But she has her life insurance, medical insurance and EMI's still running under her name.

Given this is the situation, I am just asking you all for advice on what could be the best course of action here.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:42 am

Divu wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:42 am

I have somehow grown extremely hopeless regarding my mum's visa after reading all the rejection stories and I am wondering if anyone here who has been in a similar situation can help?

If someone extended their period of stay during their last visit how do you remediate or address this issue in your new visa application? Is it better to be honest and mention in the cover letter why they extended and to assure that this was done without knowledge? And that we will make sure to not repeat this again?

(I can't help but regret what a blunder we had done. Now I feel we had sabotaged the chance for the future. We were just so clueless.)

I am really worried as my mum's home ties are also a bit weak because my grandparents are now expired. Whereas in our last application we said she will return to take care of them. Which she did end up doing.

In regards to her financial situation, I am sponsoring her trip as well as I support her anyway. But she has her life insurance, medical insurance and EMI's still running under her name.

Given this is the situation, I am just asking you all for advice on what could be the best course of action here.
What do you mean extended? Did she stay more than 6 months? If she did, was it because of COVID-19? If she came here for 3 weeks and ended up staying 4 month, that doesn't mean a thing. The law allows you to stay a maximum of 6 months. If it was during COVID, there was an allowance at the time based on the pandemic.

I've had people say 10 days in the visa application and ended up staying for 6 weeks. Never had a problem renewing after that.

Divu

Post by Divu » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:48 am

Ticktack wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:42 am
Divu wrote:

What do you mean extended? Did she stay more than 6 months? If she did, was it because of COVID-19? If she came here for 3 weeks and ended up staying 4 month, that doesn't mean a thing. The law allows you to stay a maximum of 6 months. If it was during COVID, there was an allowance at the time based on the pandemic.

I've had people say 10 days in the visa application and ended up staying for 6 weeks. Never had a problem renewing after that.

No, she did not stay for more than 6 months. It was all within 6 months.
She only stayed/extended more than what she mentioned in the visa and cover letter. Which is what I am worried about after reading the rejections. I think she came in September and stated she will leave in October. Instead, she stayed until February and almost used up the entire 6 months.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:34 am

Divu wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:48 am
Ticktack wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:42 am
Divu wrote:

No, she did not stay for more than 6 months. It was all within 6 months.
She only stayed/extended more than what she mentioned in the visa and cover letter. Which is what I am worried about after reading the rejections. I think she came in September and stated she will leave in October. Instead, she stayed until February and almost used up the entire 6 months.
Not sure what you're worried about then.

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor/app ... sitor-visa
Long-term Standard Visitor visas
You can choose to apply for a long-term Standard Visitor visa if you visit the UK regularly. This visa lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit.

Divu

Post by Divu » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:39 am

Casa wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:56 pm
Be very cautious about your Mum staying longer than the length of time stated in the visa application. This can raise a red flag for future visits as the visa is issued on the information given in the application, including the amount of funds available for the period of the stay. If your Mum states that she intends to stay for 3 weeks and then doesn't return home for 3 months, information given in further applications may not be seen as reliable.

She also needs to convince the Entry Clearance Officer that she has stronger reasons to return to her home country than she has to stay with you in the UK.

How much longer did she extend her stay while on the previous visitor visa?
Thanks Ticktack. Appreciate your help!

I knew about this red flag after reading other rejecting stories and @Casa's message. Anyone has any information on what they could be doing in this instance just in case they bring up this as an issue?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:27 am

Divu wrote:
The UK government recommends that visitors have health insurance, to claim any money back they paid to the NHS to have access to treatment. Payment up front of treatment, in most cases. The bill is 150% of the NHS national charge.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:50 am

JB007 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:27 am
Divu wrote:
The UK government recommends that visitors have health insurance, to claim any money back they paid to the NHS to have access to treatment. Payment up front of treatment, in most cases. The bill is 150% of the NHS national charge.
As earlier advised by CR001, it's not a "requirement" for a visitors visa. What you do after you get your visa in now entirely up to you.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:42 pm

JB007 wrote:
Divu wrote:
Here is the link-

The UK government always advises visitors to the UK to take out travel or health insurance that has the necessary healthcare coverage for their needs. This is particularly important for those with pre-existing health conditions. Appropriate insurance means visitors may be able to recoup any treatment costs from their insurer.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... pital-care

And the OVM guidance for NHS England, that shows when Hospitals now must refuse treatment if the full estimated cost (plus 50%) is not paid in advance of treatment
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... egulations

https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/u ... y-2021.pdf

Which is why it your own choice whether you have health insurance, or decide they can use their return ticket to fly home earlier for medical treatment.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:13 pm

JB007 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:42 pm
JB007 wrote:
Divu wrote:
Here is the link-

The UK government always advises visitors to the UK to take out travel or health insurance that has the necessary healthcare coverage for their needs. This is particularly important for those with pre-existing health conditions. Appropriate insurance means visitors may be able to recoup any treatment costs from their insurer.

And the OVM guidance for NHS England, that shows when Hospitals now must refuse treatment if the full estimated cost (plus 50%) is not paid in advance of treatment

Which is why it your own choice whether you have health insurance, or decide they can use their return ticket to fly home earlier for medical treatment.
You're missing the point here buddy! No one is saying that the OP shouldn't get a travel insurance when coming to the UK. We are talking about the requirements for a visa issuance.
Example, I get an ESTA to travel to the USA, all I need is to pay the ESTA fee and have a passport that belongs to a visa waiver country. However, to protect myself from emergency situations, I'd get a travel insurance.
Travel insurance doesn't add any value to the OP's family visa application. It's not even a document that the HO want to see when making considerations. Extremely optional.

Divu

Post by Divu » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:02 am

Definitely getting the travel insurance for the sake of safety, just in case.
I just have one more question for you friends. I am trying to declare my mum's jewels as a part of her assets, as she doesn't have any property. Does anyone have any experience on how to declare this or any experience of doing this in India? Any help will be appreciated!

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:44 pm

Divu wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:02 am
Definitely getting the travel insurance for the sake of safety, just in case.
Very wise. Make sure it covers the whole of the stay. One person received a £170,000 NHS bill after his travel insurance had lapsed.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:28 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:13 pm
JB007 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:42 pm
JB007 wrote:
Divu wrote:
Here is the link-

You're missing the point here buddy! No one is saying that the OP shouldn't get a travel insurance when coming to the UK. We are talking about the requirements for a visa issuance.
Example, I get an ESTA to travel to the USA, all I need is to pay the ESTA fee and have a passport that belongs to a visa waiver country. However, to protect myself from emergency situations, I'd get a travel insurance.
Travel insurance doesn't add any value to the OP's family visa application. It's not even a document that the HO want to see when making considerations. Extremely optional.
I was merely showing why one should take full health insurance that will cover any exisiting conditions too and why the UK doesn't need to see that insurance: because the person pays the NHS and claims the money they pay the NHS, back from their own insurance policy.

Divu

Post by Divu » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:48 am

Hello!
Please can someone help me with this question? I am getting my mum's jewels valued for her visitor visa.

Someone suggested that we can open a fixed deposit by applying for a jewel loan instead. I am worried if it will be an issue if we do a fixed deposit a week or 2 before the visa process? Please note, that I am still going to be the financial sponsor for my mum's visa. This is just to strengthen her financials as her bank balance is not that great at the moment.

Any advice will be much appreciated!