ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sab516
India

Re: Surrendring Indian passport

Post by sab516 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:35 pm

Spa wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:13 pm
Can I book appointment before submitting application as I'm still waiting for naturalization certificate for my child. If yes, what should I put in ref no while booking appointment.
Yes, just put the India passport number on the Ref no field for the appt.
Original naturalisation certificate and India passort is required to be submitted to VFS, so you should have to hand on the day of ur application

adithi10
Mood:

Post by adithi10 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:06 am

Hi,

For surrendering kids passport, are they required to attend the appointment as my daughter will have school?

Thank you

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:24 am

adithi10 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:06 am
Hi,

For surrendering kids passport, are they required to attend the appointment as my daughter will have school?

Thank you
you may represent her, there is no issue with that.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

sat0010
Newly Registered

Post by sat0010 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:27 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to book an appointment for the surrendering of my passport but when I click the appointment link, I consistently see the following error in a pop-up:

"This module is currently inaccessible due to security issues!!!"

This has been going on for days - Firefox, IE, Edge, Chrome - same error. I've tried on different devices as well and same behaviour. I'm confused how anyone is able to book an appointment. After clicking OK on the error, it redirects the page to https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/

I've tried all of the links in this email thread but usually try from

https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/appointment_home/

Can anyone please help me? It's been painful to search and try and figure this out. Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by dontringthebell » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:02 pm

sat0010 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:27 pm
Hi,

I'm trying to book an appointment for the surrendering of my passport but when I click the appointment link, I consistently see the following error in a pop-up:

This has been going on for days - Firefox, IE, Edge, Chrome - same error. I've tried on different devices as well and same behaviour. I'm confused how anyone is able to book an appointment. After clicking OK on the error, it redirects the page to https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/

Can anyone please help me? It's been painful to search and try and figure this out. Thank you in advance for your help and guidance. you could try clearing cache, it works fine on my mobile, laptop and mac, on couple of browsers you mentioned, you might try "brave" browser, (a little sidestep though its quite good like no add videos on youtube)
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

sat0010
Newly Registered

Post by sat0010 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:45 am

dontringthebell wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:02 pm
sat0010 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:27 pm
Hi,

Can anyone please help me? It's been painful to search and try and figure this out. Thank you in advance for your help and guidance. you could try clearing cache, it works fine on my mobile, laptop and mac, on couple of browsers you mentioned, you might try "brave" browser, (a little sidestep though its quite good like no add videos on youtube)
Thank you for taking the time to respond to me with your suggestion. The link appears to have started working and I suspect there is a proxy issue with the server so I'm seeing the problem with all of my devices.

I was able to book an appointment. These boards and people like you have helped me numerous times and so quickly throughout a host of immigration matters. Thank you ever so much for all that you do.

amanjain861
India

Post by amanjain861 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:38 am

Hi All,

PFB my experience in regards to my Elder Son Indian passport surrender:

VFS: Leicester

Application Submitted at VFS: 06 September 2022
Application Received: 08 September 2022
Surrender Certificate Printed: 10 September 2022
Certificate + Passport Received: 12 September 2022

Document Submitted:
Application with Photo + Sign ( Thumb Impression of my son on 1st page and my son on declaration page)
Original + Copy ( Indian Passport) - Original Indian Passport Kept
Original + Copy ( UK Passport) - Original UK Passport seen and returned
Birth Certificate Copy taken

I took everything with me (My documents, my wife documents, address proof), nothing was taken. It took 30 min in total at the VFS.

Best of luck all and thanks for all the help !!

srinath04
Newly Registered
India

Post by srinath04 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:27 am

Hi, thanks for posting the timeline. It was helpful. I applied surrender certificate last week but I am unable to track my application status with the application reference. Please advise how I can track my application.

rohan7
Newly Registered

Post by rohan7 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:00 pm

Hi. I have to surrender my Indian passport. Does anyone know if we get back the passport as cancelled or do they keep it with them?
Thanks

takkarsingh
Newly Registered

Post by takkarsingh » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:44 pm

I went for my passport surrender appointment at Bradford which is part of Birmingham VFS.

The form I filled was for HCI London so they rejected it and asked me come back with the correct form.

Please can someone send me the link to the Birmingham Passport Surrender form (not the London one). Passport Seva website takes me to London HCI form and I can't find another form.

Follow_the_map
Newly Registered

Post by Follow_the_map » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:34 pm

takkarsingh wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:44 pm
I went for my passport surrender appointment at Bradford which is part of Birmingham VFS.

The form I filled was for HCI London so they rejected it and asked me come back with the correct form.

Please can someone send me the link to the Birmingham Passport Surrender form (not the London one). Passport Seva website takes me to London HCI form and I can't find another form.
Yeah i think this is dependent on what you select while registering. I am not sure how you can change it from one to the other. May be creating a new account/email might do the trick.

blobasaur
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by blobasaur » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:34 pm

srinath04 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:27 am
Hi, thanks for posting the timeline. It was helpful. I applied surrender certificate last week but I am unable to track my application status with the application reference. Please advise how I can track my application.
Did you figure out how to track application status? I'm also having the same problem. VFS track links take you to passport seva website and tracking there doesn't seem to work.

Also has anyone recently surrended their passport? VFS told me its currently taking 3-4 weeks to get a surrender certificate. Is that true?

kollareddy
Newly Registered
India

Post by kollareddy » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:29 am

Dear helpful people

I am from Bristol, when I fill my indian passport surrender application, at the top of the application I see Birminghm consulate. Can I book an appointment in Cardiff as it is the nearest and easy to travel to submit our application or do I have to go to Birmingham. Please let me know.

Thanks
madhu

blobasaur
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by blobasaur » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:42 pm

kollareddy wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:29 am
Dear helpful people

I am from Bristol, when I fill my indian passport surrender application, at the top of the application I see Birminghm consulate. Can I book an appointment in Cardiff as it is the nearest and easy to travel to submit our application or do I have to go to Birmingham. Please let me know.

Thanks
madhu
Cardiff only accepts application from people who have "London consulate" at the top. I was there last week and they turned away people who had Birmingham applications. VFS has this on their page here: https://services.vfsglobal.com/gbr/en/i ... re/Cardiff
You can use this page to check which areas each centre accepts applications from.

yasir ali
Mood:
India

Post by yasir ali » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:17 pm

Hi all,

URGENT

I have got my surrender certificate appointment on the 27th and I had photos printed for British Passport. But they do not match the requirement of VFS global. My question is should I get 50mm *50mm photos or should I just submit the photos which I already have?

cutdcrap

Post by cutdcrap » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:47 am

yasir ali wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:17 pm
Hi all,

URGENT

I have got my surrender certificate appointment on the 27th and I had photos printed for British Passport. But they do not match the requirement of VFS global. My question is should I get 50mm *50mm photos or should I just submit the photos which I already have?
Hi, I am in the same boat as you. What was your experience? Were you able to use the pics at the time from British passport or did you end up clicking new ones and pasting them on the form? Thanks in advance

rahuldwh2000

Post by rahuldwh2000 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:10 pm

Dear board

Urgent!

I have appointment at VFS London on 3rd Jan. I am surrendering Indian passports for self, wife and 16 year old kid post naturalisation. However, only I plan to attend the appointment as my wife and kid cannot attend due to personal reasons.

My questions:

1. in addition to documents listed on the website, are there any other documents required for my wife and kid? E.g. authorisation letters from both of them, kid’s birthday certificate, our marriage certificate etc? Does anything need to be notarised?

Is there a way to avoid these additional documents eg take the kid along for the appointment?

If the kid can sign the form, do we still need their thumb impressions on the application and declaration forms?

2. While filling in the forms, for emergency contact, I only put name and no address, but did put in mobile number. On my form, I added my wife’s name and mobile for emergency, on my wife’s and kid’s form, I put my name and mobile number. Is this all okay? Or, emergency contact address is required?

Regards

cutdcrap

Post by cutdcrap » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:13 pm

I had an appointment this Friday for surrendering Indian passports in VFS, Hounslow and here are a few things to watch out. I thought I had read everything and was prepared , but surely not.
Firstly, please ensure you have printed appointment letter for each of the family member that is applying with you. I took one printout that had all other 2 passport numbers and names mentioned; but VFS insisted I had to take 2 additional copies.
Secondly, the photocopy machine on the first floor where applications are submitted only takes 50p coins and doesn’t dispense any change. The next thing was to search for an ATM, thankfully there is an off licence shop across the road that has an ATM inside it that doesn’t charge for withdrawal. Beware the other one charges extra for dispensing cash
Thirdly, VFS was being extremely pushy about using their own courier DFX and were not ready to take the Royal Mail self addressed envelopes. I had to argue with atleast 3 of their staff before they succumbed. So, hold your ground. I am going to complain against this push tactic very soon
Lastly for folks who are driving to the centre, don’t pay exorbitant money in parking apps or even their centre; there are loads of free parking spaces on the streets around. You may need to walk a max of 5-10 mins but that’s about it. I am dreading dealing with VFS again for OCI (if I ever decide to apply for one).

yasir ali
Mood:
India

Post by yasir ali » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:24 pm

cutdcrap wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:47 am
yasir ali wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:17 pm
Hi all,

URGENT

Hi, I am in the same boat as you. What was your experience? Were you able to use the pics at the time from British passport or did you end up clicking new ones and pasting them on the form? Thanks in advance
I ended up paying £18 for 2" x 2" photo - as the risk is not worth it

Royal_desire
Mood:
Malawi

Post by Royal_desire » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:51 am

Dear moderates
Sorry just a quick question
Do we need to surrender our indian passport after
Getting the citizenship letter or can we wait till we get our British Passport then surrender it isit fine please advice than you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:03 pm

Royal_desire wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:51 am
Dear moderates
Sorry just a quick question
Do we need to surrender our indian passport after
Getting the citizenship letter or can we wait till we get our British Passport then surrender it isit fine please advice than you
As already advised, you surrender your Indian passport AFTER you get your British passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ibrahim9140
Newly Registered

Post by ibrahim9140 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:53 pm

Hi everyone,

My sister needs to surrender her Indian passport. She is pregnant last month and unable to travel to VFS office. I wanted to know can I go and surrender her passport. If yes is their specific letter of authorisation template they require or simple written letter stating of authority is enough.

I couldn't find anything on VFS. So if anyone has been through this it will be great if you can help me out.

Thanks.

DineshSRD
Newly Registered
India

Post by DineshSRD » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:21 am

Indian Passport Surrender :

Timeline and Status :

Application Submitted : 15-Mar-2023 at VFS Hounslow.
Application Status : 16-Mar-2023 – Passport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.
Application Status : 17-Mar-2023 – Surrender Certificate is under review at Indian Embassy
Application Status : 19-Mar-2023 – Surrender Certificate is granted and is available for issuance
Application Status : 20-Mar-2023 – Surrender Certificate has been printed
Delivered : 22-Mar-2023 – DX delivered Surrender Certificate and Cancelled Indian Passport.

Documents :

1) Appointment letter
2) Application form
3) Birth Certificate (Translated in English)
4) British Passport Original
5) Indian Passport Original
6) Naturalisation Certificate Original
7) 2 Photo (2” inch X 2” inch)
8 ) British Passport photocopy – Main page only
9) Indian Passport photocopy – All pages to see entry stamps (Only current passport)
10) Naturalisation Certificate photocopy
11) Declaration form

VFS tips :

1) Book earliest appointment if you can make it. Waiting time is minimal. I booked mine in VFS Hounslow for 08:30 am, entered VFS at 08:20 am, token number 3. Called for counter at 08:35am, out of VFS centre at 08:50am.
2) Go for their courier, don’t argue for few extra pounds (difference of 6£) and spoil your smooth appointment.
3) If applying for minor, have extra copy of declaration form and application form . You might have to redo signature or thumb impression.
4) If applying for minor, you don’t need to take them with you.
5) Plenty of parking in the back. You can pay via JustPark app , 1hr = 2.2£
6) I used the link https://www.comparism.com/surrender-indian-passport-uk/ for understanding the process from start. Also has a similar detailed steps for OCI.

Good luck !

DineshSRD
Newly Registered
India

Post by DineshSRD » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:22 am

Indian Passport Surrender :

Timeline and Status :

Application Submitted : 15-Mar-2023 at VFS Hounslow.
Application Status : 16-Mar-2023 – Passport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.
Application Status : 17-Mar-2023 – Surrender Certificate is under review at Indian Embassy
Application Status : 19-Mar-2023 – Surrender Certificate is granted and is available for issuance
Application Status : 20-Mar-2023 – Surrender Certificate has been printed
Delivered : 22-Mar-2023 – DX delivered Surrender Certificate and Cancelled Indian Passport.

Documents :

1) Appointment letter
2) Application form
3) Birth Certificate (Translated in English)
4) British Passport Original
5) Indian Passport Original
6) Naturalisation Certificate Original
7) 2 Photo (2” inch X 2” inch)
8) British Passport photocopy – Main page only
9) Indian Passport photocopy – All pages to see entry stamps (Only current passport)
10) Naturalisation Certificate photocopy
11) Declaration form

VFS tips :

1) Book earliest appointment if you can make it. Waiting time is minimal. I booked mine in VFS Hounslow for 08:30 am, entered VFS at 08:20 am, token number 3. Called for counter at 08:35am, out of VFS centre at 08:50am.
2) Go for their courier, don’t argue for few extra pounds (difference of 6£) and spoil your smooth appointment.
3) If applying for minor, have extra copy of declaration form and application form . You might have to redo signature or thumb impression.
4) If applying for minor, you don’t need to take them with you.
5) Plenty of parking in the back. You can pay via JustPark app , 1hr = 2.2£
6) I used the weblink removed by moderator for understanding the process from start. Also has a similar detailed steps for OCI.

Good luck !

Aryap26
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Aryap26 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:08 pm

Hi DineshSRD,

Thanks for the information it's really helpful.

For Minor application do we need to self attested all the photocopies.

Thanks in advance
Arya