ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Process to naturalise and then passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Londondreams221
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Process to naturalise and then passport

Post by Londondreams221 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:57 pm

Hello,
Thank you for your help.
I am somewhat confused between people's post about naturalisation and then the passport, isn't the citizenship process the only way to do it? I was on a Tier 1, set O and got my ILR 12 months ago, I would like to apply for the British passport this summer, is the link below the only way?
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... w-to-apply

Apart from the KOL/ English language documentation ( which I will provide from last summer) do I have to submit 5 year of payslips etc?

What are the documents they ask for?

Any help would be much appreciated.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Process to naturalise and then passport

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:46 pm

You need to be British to apply for a passport - after you have received your certificate.

Naturalisation is the the first step.
Documents to be supplied by ILR holders: Passport/Travel document, BRP, English, LITUK and Referee Declarations. Payslips or statements not required.

Please read through the complete guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance

Continue posting your queries in this thread.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:23 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:46 pm
You need to be British to apply for a passport
Well, in any country in the world, you need to have relevant nationality to apply for the passport. I'm surprised by how many people don't get this!
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:26 pm

Londondreams221 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:57 pm
I am somewhat confused between people's post about naturalisation and then the passport, isn't the citizenship process the only way to do it?
Please read this post.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Londondreams221
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Post by Londondreams221 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:46 am

Thanks for this, and yes valid points, I got confused about the process, so in essence the application is first for the certificate, and then the passport ( if that is what one wants, as some people from non dual nationality countries may not be allowed to hold two passports).

Any idea of lead times for the certification process at the moment? And how long does it take after the certificate is issued, to be able to apply for a passport and what that lead time is?

Londondreams221
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Post by Londondreams221 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:47 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:46 pm
You need to be British to apply for a passport - after you have received your certificate.

Naturalisation is the the first step.
Documents to be supplied by ILR holders: Passport/Travel document, BRP, English, LITUK and Referee Declarations. Payslips or statements not required.

Please read through the complete guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance

Continue posting your queries in this thread.
Thanks for being empathetic about it, as you can imagine the emotions run very high and therein common sense goes out the window, hence the questions.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:01 pm

Londondreams221 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:46 am
Thanks for this, and yes valid points, I got confused about the process, so in essence the application is first for the certificate, and then the passport ( if that is what one wants, as some people from non dual nationality countries may not be allowed to hold two passports).

Any idea of lead times for the certification process at the moment? And how long does it take after the certificate is issued, to be able to apply for a passport and what that lead time is?
You are applying first for British citizenship, then for British passport.

The certificate is just the physical document that proves you are a British citizen, but you aren't really applying for the piece of paper, you are applying for the citizenship, so don't call it "application for certificate".

You can apply for a British passport the second you walk out of your citizenship ceremony, because at that point you'll have become a British citizen.

Londondreams221
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Post by Londondreams221 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:05 pm

Ok thanks.

A few more questions regarding the application, the time period and the process:

1) I have just calculated the total number of days I was out of the country from 2016-2022 (150 days in total, the last time I travelled was October 2019, and then unable to due to the pandemic.
I was on the Tier 1 Entp (£50k route) 5 year visa route, my first Visa was issued to me on 15/3/2016, expired on 15/3/2019. I applied for the extension was granted on 2/5/2019, expiring on 2/5/2021. ILR granted on 23/6/2021, 12 months completed on 23/6/2022, so is it ok for me to apply now bearing in mind I was out of the country for a total of 150 days in 6 years? Or should I wait till end of the year to make sure I have all my days?

2) Can one travel out of the UK with their current passport and the ILR whilst the citizenship application is under process?

3) I have heard of lots of delays with government offices due to staff shortages etc, does anyone know how long it takes for the citizenship application?

4) Once a successful application is made for citizenship, how soon does one have to apply for a passport or can you wait for a bit?

5) My old passport which was submitted when I did my KOL has expired, I have been issued a new passport i it ok to submit the old and new passport during this application process?

Is there anything else I need to provide?

Thank you for your help.

Londondreams221
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Post by Londondreams221 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:05 pm

Ok thanks.

A few more questions regarding the application, the time period and the process:

1) I have just calculated the total number of days I was out of the country from 2016-2022 (150 days in total, the last time I travelled was October 2019, and then unable to due to the pandemic.
I was on the Tier 1 Entp (£50k route) 5 year visa route, my first Visa was issued to me on 15/3/2016, expired on 15/3/2019. I applied for the extension was granted on 2/5/2019, expiring on 2/5/2021. ILR granted on 23/6/2021, 12 months completed on 23/6/2022, so is it ok for me to apply now bearing in mind I was out of the country for a total of 150 days in 6 years? Or should I wait till end of the year to make sure I have all my days?

2) Can one travel out of the UK with their current passport and the ILR whilst the citizenship application is under process?

3) I have heard of lots of delays with government offices due to staff shortages etc, does anyone know how long it takes for the citizenship application?

4) Once a successful application is made for citizenship, how soon does one have to apply for a passport or can you wait for a bit?

5) My old passport which was submitted when I did my KOL has expired, I have been issued a new passport i it ok to submit the old and new passport during this application process?

Thank you for your help.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:46 pm

Londondreams221 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:05 pm
Ok thanks.

I was on the Tier 1 Entp (£50k route) 5 year visa route, my first Visa was issued to me on 15/3/2016, expired on 15/3/2019. I applied for the extension was granted on 2/5/2019, expiring on 2/5/2021. ILR granted on 23/6/2021, 12 months completed on 23/6/2022, so is it ok for me to apply now bearing in mind I was out of the country for a total of 150 days in 6 years? Or should I wait till end of the year to make sure I have all my days? The days out does not exclude you from applying.

2) Can one travel out of the UK with their current passport and the ILR whilst the citizenship application is under process? Yes

3) I have heard of lots of delays with government offices due to staff shortages etc, does anyone know how long it takes for the citizenship application? There is no time set in stone. Check the timeline thread.

Thank you for your help.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:55 pm

Londondreams221 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:05 pm
Ok thanks.

You can apply now - absences are for the five years back from the naturalisation application date - not six years. It appears you are well below the allowances. Not sure why you want to wait til year end.

Yes - free to travel.

UKVI target is 6 months - some applications get approved within two months, others take 6+ months,most are inbetween....

Passport is not compulsory - you can apply when you wish, immediately or in a year's time, or never ...

You only need to submit the passports covering the five years residency period, one or more if necessary.

Referee declarations, BRP, presumably English done as part of ILR?

Thank you for your help.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Londondreams221
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Post by Londondreams221 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:19 pm

Thank you both for the replies.

I wasn't sure if my 150 days out of the 5 years would impact the application as I read on the guidance the following example, so just being extra cautious:

• For example, if your application is received on 05/05/2021, you should have been
physically present in the UK on 06/05/2018.

• Most applications that fail do so because applicants have applied even though they
cannot satisfy the residence requirement to be present in the UK at the beginning
of the residential qualifying period.

Yes - free to travel

So it doesn't really matter how long I am away from after I submit the application due to the 6 months lead time? As long as I am back in the UK by the time they reply? Reason I ask is I haven't seen my family since March 2019, so it would be nice to be away for some time and spend time with them. Though it will be unpaid so I may not have any income for 3 months or so, will that be a bad idea as there will be no PAYE showing for 3 months?

I did my MA in the UK so I should be fine for the English language part, I'll submit my MA certificate and transcript. I did the same for my ILR and all visa applications till date.

I got a speeding ticket last August and points on my licence, I attended the speeding course and paid the penalty, I should still declare this right?

Is it an issue if I was unemployed for a while so there won't be a consistent amount of payslips, and where they were, I was on very low salaries so my PAYE isn't very high, do they penalise for low income applicants? Please note I didn't use any benefits and lived off my savings when I was in between jobs.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:18 pm

Londondreams221 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:19 pm
Thank you both for the replies.

I wasn't sure if my 150 days out of the 5 years would impact the application as I read on the guidance the following example, so just being extra cautious:

• For example, if your application is received on 05/05/2021, you should have been
physically present in the UK on 06/05/2018.

• Most applications that fail do so because applicants have applied even though they
cannot satisfy the residence requirement to be present in the UK at the beginning
of the residential qualifying period.

What you are quoting is a separate statutory requirement and not connected with absences. When you submit the application check that you satisfy this - it's about that date and whether you were physically present. Check your absences.

Yes - free to travel

So it doesn't really matter how long I am away from after I submit the application due to the 6 months lead time? As long as I am back in the UK by the time they reply? Reason I ask is I haven't seen my family since March 2019, so it would be nice to be away for some time and spend time with them. Though it will be unpaid so I may not have any income for 3 months or so, will that be a bad idea as there will be no PAYE showing for 3 months?

It's no issue post-application whether you have income or not, UKVI are not tracking your movements or financial circumstances post-application date.

I did my MA in the UK so I should be fine for the English language part, I'll submit my MA certificate and transcript. I did the same for my ILR and all visa applications till date.

I got a speeding ticket last August and points on my licence, I attended the speeding course and paid the penalty, I should still declare this right?

From my understanding if you have been given the option of a speed awareness then this doesn't need to be disclosed, not even to your insurance company ....

Is it an issue if I was unemployed for a while so there won't be a consistent amount of payslips, and where they were, I was on very low salaries so my PAYE isn't very high, do they penalise for low income applicants? Please note I didn't use any benefits and lived off my savings when I was in between jobs.

I may have pointed this out already, naturalisation has no specific financial requirements (income/taxes/NI/profits/etc). Applicants of all levels of income and even unemployed can apply as long as they satisfy the requirements as laid down. You are not judged whether you are worthy of citizenship ....