ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Disregarding absences

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

freddiekeller

Disregarding absences

Post by freddiekeller » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:32 pm

My best friend is planning to apply for settled status with a view to applying for British citizenship.

She has just finished her three year bachelors but has had absences amounting to four to six months per year.

The reasons are partly Covid and the fact that her stepfather fell ill and died.

Now she is considering doing a Masters in Europe with a view of then coming back to continue her professional training as a lawyer.

She may consider doing part time work and travelling back and forth between Europe and England.

Do you think there’s any chance that she will still be able to apply to settle status upon a year after her return, when she will reach the five year Mark since she moved to the UK? Despite her absences and Masters abroad?

Even if she is granted status, do you think that she will have to wait five years after she returns from Europe, even if she only spends six months in total doing her Masters in Europe?

Any support/guidance on how lenient they may be with these absences would be appreciated. We do know the guidance notes for nationality applications, but the experience of the forum members would be appreciated

vinny

Re: Disregarding absences

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:34 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

freddiekeller

Re: Disregarding absences

Post by freddiekeller » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:07 pm

Thanks very much. I take it then, that the situation I described is a bit risky.

The article that you linked Vinny, it doesn’t describe specific cases where absences may be disregarded. It just explains the rules.

Would anybody be able to share, from experience or from reading this forum, how likely it is that the long absences I’ve described (> six months) may be disregarded?