ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What happen with the IRP when you get your citizenship?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Gocho77
Columbia

What happen with the IRP when you get your citizenship?

Post by Gocho77 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:58 pm

When you get your citizenship certificate, you IRP card is automatically cancel? Can you travel abroad and come back using your home country passport and IRP card? Or you need to get your irish passport in order to be able to return.
Has anybody travel after getting the citizenship with the home country passport and IRP card?

jlrods
Newly Registered
Mood:
Venezuela

Re: What happen with the IRP when you get your citizenship?

Post by jlrods » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:44 pm

Hi Gocho77,
I have the same query as you.
I got my approval letter for the certificate of naturalization last week. I'm planning to pay the fee and send the required documents within the next week or two.
My concern is that I have to travel abrod on the 28th of July and I will be coming back on 04th of August, but I haven't found anything that tells me I can travel with my current passport (which is valid until 2029) and my current GNIB/IRP card (valid until 2029 too).
What happens if the certificate is already issued when I try to re-enter to Ireland on August 4th with my current passport and IRP?
Have you got any news on that?
Thanks!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:47 pm

IRP cannot be issued to Irish nationals, so they will become invalid on the day when you become an Irish citizen.

I don’t know if they will mark the card as invalid in their system. They used to just take everyone’s ITP away before issuing the certificate, so that was never an option in the first place.

Regardless, you shouldn’t rely on the IRP card. If you are a visa-required national, you should apply for a free re-entry visa if you don’t have time to apply for an Irish passport. If you are a visa-free national, you can simply travel with your current passport with a copy of your naturalisation certificate.

Gocho77
Columbia

Post by Gocho77 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:10 am

In my case I already have an citizenship certificate. I received on 30th of May and apply for my passport a week later. After looking around in this forum it seems that get a re-entry visa is not a real options. The other option is to get a stamp 6. I have email them, but as usual, they have not respond me. What I found was this info from immigrant council.

https://immigrantcouncil.ie/rights/re-e ... -abolished

From there, is my understanding that I if I do not have an IRP I need to apply for stamp 6 and then for a re-entry visa. And to apply for a stamp 6 I need to send my original naturalization certificate (which I do not have)

To sum up, If you become an Irish citizen and they cancel you IRP because of that, You are stuck here for around at least 2 moths regardless of either you apply for a passport or for a stamp 6.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:02 am

From my understanding, you don't have to surrender your IRP card when your citizenship got approved, so you can still use IRP card with your current nationality's passport to get on the plane (as airline companies will ask for proof of permission to enter country). And at Irish border, can't you show them your IRP + current nationality's passport and maybe your naturalization certificate?

It shouldn't be a problem at Irish border as you are an Irish citizen, and IRP card (even it's cancelled or nulled or not valid etc) should be enough to travel to Ireland.

Gocho77
Columbia

Post by Gocho77 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:30 am

mentalmind wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:02 am
From my understanding, you don't have to surrender your IRP card when your citizenship got approved, so you can still use IRP card with your current nationality's passport to get on the plane (as airline companies will ask for proof of permission to enter country). And at Irish border, can't you show them your IRP + current nationality's passport and maybe your naturalization certificate?

It shouldn't be a problem at Irish border as you are an Irish citizen, and IRP card (even it's cancelled or nulled or not valid etc) should be enough to travel to Ireland.
That is what I thought at first. But now I believe it depends of if the IRP card is automatically cancel, and if it does, whether the official at borders controls allows you to pass with a certified copy of your naturalization certificate (for me, the original is in the passport office).

jlrods
Newly Registered
Mood:
Venezuela

Post by jlrods » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:29 am

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your answers.

In fact, as mentioned by mentalmind, I'm not being asked to give my IRP back. The letter I got is just asking to upload a scanned copy of it when submitting the required documents and pay the payable fee.

In addition, by the time I'm abroad, I won't have the certifacte of naturatilzation either, because only three weeks will have happened since the submition of the declaration of fidelity and loyalty to the Nation. In other words, from the 8 week waiting period the letter says it may take to issue the certificate, I will back to Ireland, roughly at the 3rd week.

So technically, my current conditions and residence permit should be at the same status as now, however I'm still concerned that on the way back the certificate is already issued and sent home, plus I don't know what would happen at the immigratin system level if certificate of naturalization is issued.

Thanks again for your comments.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:38 am

jlrods wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:29 am
Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your answers.

In fact, as mentioned by mentalmind, I'm not being asked to give my IRP back. The letter I got is just asking to upload a scanned copy of it when submitting the required documents and pay the payable fee.

In addition, by the time I'm abroad, I won't have the certifacte of naturatilzation either, because only three weeks will have happened since the submition of the declaration of fidelity and loyalty to the Nation. In other words, from the 8 week waiting period the letter says it may take to issue the certificate, I will back to Ireland, roughly at the 3rd week.

So technically, my current conditions and residence permit should be at the same status as now, however I'm still concerned that on the way back the certificate is already issued and sent home, plus I don't know what would happen at the immigratin system level if certificate of naturalization is issued.

Thanks again for your comments.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Because most important thing is you can travel back to Ireland with your IRP. If there is a question, or any problem, you will have to deal with Irish passport police. If they can see that you are Irish citizen (or your naturalization certificate) they will not make a big fuss as you are Irish. Otherwise they won't even realize that you applied for Irish citizenship and will check your current passport and IRP.

Remember, Irish naturalization do encourage people to have multiple citizenship. If you did not drop your previous citizenship (by the immigration rules of your home country or by your own decision) you will be both Irish and your original country's citizen, which means you can travel with 2 different documents (Irish passport and/or your home country's passport). So you are not making anything illegal. I don't think anyone would make a problem nor would ask "why you are not using your Irish passport". Just give your current passport and IRP card at non-EU line, don't over complicate things and get in the country. If they ask questions, then give answers. You are legally allowed to stay in Ireland.

GoWentGone123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by GoWentGone123 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:58 pm

I respect your opinions because they're are based on facts but i would disagree on this. One of my colleagues's wife who had Irish Citizenship but not Irish Passport was issued a new IRP after she got her Citizenship certificate. She applied on basis of her husband who is Irish as well.
littlerr wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:47 pm
IRP cannot be issued to Irish nationals, so they will become invalid on the day when you become an Irish citizen.

I don’t know if they will mark the card as invalid in their system. They used to just take everyone’s ITP away before issuing the certificate, so that was never an option in the first place.

Regardless, you shouldn’t rely on the IRP card. If you are a visa-required national, you should apply for a free re-entry visa if you don’t have time to apply for an Irish passport. If you are a visa-free national, you can simply travel with your current passport with a copy of your naturalisation certificate.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:18 pm

GoWentGone123 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:58 pm
I respect your opinions because they're are based on facts but i would disagree on this. One of my colleagues's wife who had Irish Citizenship but not Irish Passport was issued a new IRP after she got her Citizenship certificate. She applied on basis of her husband who is Irish as well.
littlerr wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:47 pm

There is no such basis. As I said, I don’t know if they will mark the card as invalid on the day of ceremony. Maybe there is a few days of delays to update the system. Either way, there is no legal basis for an Irish national to get an IRP card. She simply deliberately concealed the fact that she was an Irish national to get the card.

She can get a Stamp in her passport, and she can also get a re-entry visa free of charge, but she cannot be issued with an IRP card.

GoWentGone123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by GoWentGone123 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:54 pm

She didn't conceal anything at all. She actually applied as an Irish Citizens and uploaded the required documents on the online portal AFTER Citizenship certificate was issued to her. I don't buy this idea that someone can conceal their Irish citizenship from department of Justice/Immigration.

Gocho77
Columbia

Post by Gocho77 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:36 pm

GoWentGone123 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:54 pm
She didn't conceal anything at all. She actually applied as an Irish Citizens and uploaded the required documents on the online portal AFTER Citizenship certificate was issued to her. I don't buy this idea that someone can conceal their Irish citizenship from department of Justice/Immigration.
Now you make think. Because nobody is expecting that a naturalized irish citizen actually try to get a stamp 4. Nobody even look if she was irish and allowed to get that stamp.

That makes think if they even cancel the IRP card. Probably that was why before they ask for the card. So they don't need to actually cancel it in the system.

O'Ramires
Mood:
Brazil

Post by O'Ramires » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:46 am

Gocho77 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:10 am
In my case I already have an citizenship certificate. I received on 30th of May and apply for my passport a week later. After looking around in this forum it seems that get a re-entry visa is not a real options. The other option is to get a stamp 6. I have email them, but as usual, they have not respond me. What I found was this info from immigrant council.

https://immigrantcouncil.ie/rights/re-e ... -abolished

From there, is my understanding that I if I do not have an IRP I need to apply for stamp 6 and then for a re-entry visa. And to apply for a stamp 6 I need to send my original naturalization certificate (which I do not have)

To sum up, If you become an Irish citizen and they cancel you IRP because of that, You are stuck here for around at least 2 moths regardless of either you apply for a passport or for a stamp 6.
If you get a Stamp 6 you don't need a re-entry visa.

My problem here is that there's no appointments for that visa anymore and I'd need to send my documents by post, which I was trying to avoid in the first place with the Irish passport as I've to go abroad in September.

Let us know if they reply.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:34 pm

O'Ramires wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:46 am
If you get a Stamp 6 you don't need a re-entry visa.
I am, honestly, not sure about that.
Since Stamp 6 is just a rubber stamp, unlike British CoE-RoA, for example, airlines will, most likely, not treat it as something that gives you the right to go to Ireland. I think they even mentioned it on now defunct INIS.gov.ie
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Adeelsheikh123
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Adeelsheikh123 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:31 pm

If please anyone can answer.
I got the approval letter yesterday and I will have to attend ceremony. I have paid 950 and uploaded the passport scan, gnib scan and picture.
Now the question is that I am travelling from 18th Auguest to 24 September, so will I be able to travel as if they ask my GNIB IN BETWENN then I am stuck. The ceremony is in December. Any advice is much appreciated

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:24 pm

Adeelsheikh123 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:31 pm
If please anyone can answer.
I got the approval letter yesterday and I will have to attend ceremony. I have paid 950 and uploaded the passport scan, gnib scan and picture.
Now the question is that I am travelling from 18th Auguest to 24 September, so will I be able to travel as if they ask my GNIB IN BETWENN then I am stuck. The ceremony is in December. Any advice is much appreciated
You're not an Irish citizen until the ceremony itself, when you get your certificate. Until then your IRP is what proves your immigration status. Would be unwise from ISD to make you give up your IRP to early.
Besides, as far as I know, since you uploaded it online, they might not ask for it at all.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.