ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Date of first entry into the UK for ILR application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CV3
Newly Registered
India

CoS and BRP have different start/issue date - when can I apply for an ILR?

Post by CV3 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:40 pm

Hi,

I am in the process of preparing my ILR application, however, I am a bit confused as to when is the start date of my '28 days before' period. I was already in the UK on a Tier 4 student visa when I was applying to change it to a Tier 2 work visa.

CoS shows a start work date of 01/08/2017 and end date of 30/07/2022
BRP shows an issue date of 14/08/2017 and valid date of 01/08/22.

The BRP was issued two weeks after the CoS was granted. When is the earliest I can apply for an ILR?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: CoS and BRP have different start/issue date - when can I apply for an ILR?

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:43 am

It is your brp start date. The cos start date is irrelevant for ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CV3
Newly Registered
India

Post by CV3 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:08 am

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to my query.

Just checking, if I apply from my BRP issue date that leaves me with about 2 weeks till the end of my legal work and stay in the UK which is 01/08/22 as per the BRP. This is actually less than the valid '28 days before' application period.

Also, will I be able to get an appointment date with UKVCAS before my BRP ends?

Any thoughts or insights would be much appreciated.

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:22 am

The 28 day concession is just a ukvi concession. You can apply at anytime within 28 days before reaching 5 years.

The date of application is the date you submit and pay online. The biometric appointment date is irrelevant and can be after visa expiry date
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CV3
Newly Registered
India

Post by CV3 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:35 am

Thanks again!

So if I was to get a UKVCAS appointment date after 01/08/22, I won't be considered as overstaying my visa?

Shouldn't my 28 days period logically start counting back from my BRP end date? This fits in with the 5 year anniversary of my employment.

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:41 am

So if I was to get a UKVCAS appointment date after 01/08/22, I won't be considered as overstaying my visa?
No. The date of application is the date you submit and pay online and this must be before your visa expiry date.
Shouldn't my 28 days period logically start counting back from my BRP end date? This fits in with the 5 year anniversary of my employment.
It is within 28 days before the 5th anniversary of your tier 2 issue date that you can apply for ilr. So 14th august minus 28 days.

Your employment anniversary is irrelevant.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CV3
Newly Registered
India

Post by CV3 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:48 am

If I have any further query or update about this topic, I'll post again.

For now, CR001 thank you very much for your help.

CV3
Newly Registered
India

Post by CV3 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:52 am

Hi,

An update to my query:

I came across this Continuous Residence document which states the following https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -residence

You must count backwards from whichever of the following is most beneficial to the applicant to see whether they meet the qualifying period:
• the date of application
• any date up to 28 days after the date of application
• the date of decision
• for a person seeking settlement on the UK Ancestry route, the date of their last grant of permission

So does it mean that the ILR application can be made using the date when the decision was made (I got confirmation in a letter) i.e. date I was granted the Tier 2 visa and not wait for the date when the BRP was issued (which was 1-2 weeks later)?

Thanks

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:53 am

Yes.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

CV3
Newly Registered
India

Date of first entry into the UK for ILR application

Post by CV3 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:19 pm

Hi,

I would appreciate some help in answering this question for my ILR application
• Date you first entered the UK (This is the date you entered the UK when the period of stay you are basing this application on started.)

I switched from a Tier 4 (Student) visa to a Tier 2 (General) visa. So while I was applying for the Tier 2 visa I was already in the country. I didn't have to leave the UK as I already had a job lined up after I finished my studies.

The confusion is around these statements "entered the UK" and "basing this application on" as both are different dates. So which date do I entry?
• Date I entered the UK on a Tier 4 visa - 13/9/2013
• Date of decision on my Tier 2 application which was confirmed in a letter - 12/8/2017
• Date of issue on my BRP - 14/8/2017

Thanks in advance

CV3
Newly Registered
India

Post by CV3 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:31 pm

Thanks for confirming

zimba
Mood:

Re: Date of first entry into the UK for ILR application

Post by zimba » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:52 am

The date you put on the form is irrelevant to your ILR. You can put any date
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

CV3
Newly Registered
India

Post by CV3 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:15 pm

CV3 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:52 am
Hi,

An update to my query:

I came across this Continuous Residence document which states the following https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -residence

You must count backwards from whichever of the following is most beneficial to the applicant to see whether they meet the qualifying period:
• the date of application
• any date up to 28 days after the date of application
• the date of decision
• for a person seeking settlement on the UK Ancestry route, the date of their last grant of permission

So does it mean that the ILR application can be made using the date when the decision was made (I got confirmation in a letter) i.e. date I was granted the Tier 2 visa and not wait for the date when the BRP was issued (which was 1-2 weeks later)?

Thanks
In reply to the my above query:

My application date was 29/06/2017 and decision date was 12/08/17.
So I should be eligible to apply today (03/07/22) if I wanted to. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks

CV3
Newly Registered
India

Post by CV3 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:06 am

Questions relating to my initial query:

1. Is it necessary to book my biometric appointment very close to the 5 year ILR timeline (I'm short by 2 weeks) or anytime within the 28 days period will do?
Tier 2 application approval 12/8/17, BRP issue 14/8/17 and BRP expire 1/8/22

2. Relating to the first question, I suppose if I'm not able to get a biometric appointment before my BRP expires it's not a problem as long as my application is submitted before it?

Thanks in advance

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:15 am

CV3 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:06 am

1. Is it necessary to book my biometric appointment very close to the 5 year ILR timeline (I'm short by 2 weeks) or anytime within the 28 days period will do?

2. Relating to the first question, I suppose if I'm not able to get a biometric appointment before my BRP expires it's not a problem as long as my application is submitted before it?

Thanks in advance
Your BRP expiry is irrelevant. When you submit your application that is the date of the application. If your visa expires, section 3C will extend your visa automatically. As it has been repeated over and over again, apply before visa expiry and book an appointment within the 28 days mark.

CV3
Newly Registered
India

Post by CV3 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:39 am

Thanks Zimba.

I posted this topic again as I read some advise on the board about applying closer to the expiry date (when you're short of the full 5 years) and then biometrics after completing 5 years.

But as I understand, biometrics can be done before completing the full 5 years as well depending on when I get an appointment. Is this correct?
Zimba wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:15 am
CV3 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:06 am

Thanks in advance
Your BRP expiry is irrelevant. When you submit your application that is the date of the application. If your visa expires, section 3C will extend your visa automatically. As it has been repeated over and over again, apply before visa expiry and book an appointment within the 28 days mark.
What if I'm not able to get an appointment within the 28 days mark because of no fault on my part?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:48 am

This is a matter of understanding the immigration rules and procedures. The 28 days mark is the earliest date when you can get ILR. Any date afterwards is ok. You can be granted ILR within 28 days of your 5 years.

When you apply for a new application before visa expiry, the provisions under section 3C of the immigration act get engaged when your visa expires. This means your current visa and all of its privileges are automatically extended until a decision is made on your pending application. So the time waiting is lawful residence. This period also counts as lawful residence towards the ILR application you lodged. Eventually, when the case worker processes your application, they will count your lawful residence up to that point to see if you are eligible for ILR. This is how you can apply for ILR early before visa expiry and still qualify for ILR without any issues

CV3
Newly Registered
India

Post by CV3 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:03 am

Thanks again Zimba! It's becoming clearer now.

Just one last thing, could you please reply/advise to my earlier question on your highlighted comment?

Or if I rephrase it:
The biometric appointment date I get is not in my control? Of course, I should apply asap but I could get it anytime after I submit my application.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:43 pm

Yes. You are expected to book within 45 days from the date of the application

CV3
Newly Registered
India

Post by CV3 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:41 pm

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help and advise. My ILR was approved and I've also received my BRP. This all happened quicker than I thought and I'm quite happy.

My timeline:
UKIV application submission and payment [SET (O)/super priority]: 17/07/22
UKVCAS documents uploaded: 20/07/22
UKVCAS biometric appointment: 23/07/22
Home Office decision email: 26/07/22
BRP delivered: 28/07/22