ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can a doctor (not one's GP) who knows you personally be a referee?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sm12
Diamond Member

Can a doctor (not one's GP) who knows you personally be a referee?

Post by sm12 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:11 pm

Hello,

I had written about my brother's disability here and that he got ILR a few years ago. He can't work due to his illness, but from what I understand, not being able to work is not grounds for refusal of citizenship?

We are trying to help him with his application but there is a problem regarding the professional referee.

We have known a doctor who knows us personally but has never treated either of us. From what I've read, a doctor cannot be a referee but I saw some posts that this was primarily an issue relating to using one's GP as a referee.

Could someone please advise whether this person can be a referee and also which professions are currently accepted for this purpose?

Thank you.

rv2010
Newly Registered

Re: Can a doctor (not one's GP) who knows you personally be a referee?

Post by rv2010 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:42 pm

>from what I understand, not being able to work is not grounds for refusal of citizenship?
Reading through this document, I could not see "ability to work" being a requirement for citizenship.

>We have known a doctor who knows us personally ... Could someone please advise whether this person can be a referee...
Referring to this document, on page 10, it says:

"A person cannot confirm a customer’s identity if they are: ...
- a doctor, unless they know the customer well (for example, they are a good friend) and can recognise them easily from their photo"

So it looks like your friend can, indeed, act as a referee.

For a list of recognised prefessions able to act as a referee, see page 9 of this same document.

sm12
Diamond Member

Post by sm12 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:24 pm

Thank you. I've found some posts suggesting that employment is needed at the time of application, that's why I wondered. Same thing regarding doctors as people give mixed advice regarding this. Is there place on the form to explain that the doctor has known us personally for decades?

rv2010
Newly Registered

Post by rv2010 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:47 pm

>I've found some posts suggesting that employment is needed at the time of application
In our case, my wife wasn't employed at the time of application and she was granted citizenship. The questions in the online application form related to this were (as of Sept 2021 when my wife submitted her application):
- Are you currently employed? (to which we answered NO)
- Have you had any other work over the past 10 years or since you came to the UK? (If you answer YES, you are asked to give details of your employment history)

I've not seen any documentary evidence to suggest that it is a requirement to be currently employed or have been previously employed.
Also refer to this post where a moderator on this site (CR001) confirms that "Employment is NOT mandatory for citizenship."

>Is there place on the form to explain that the doctor has known us personally for decades?
Yes, the online form asks this question:
- How does the referee know the applicant?

And you are given ample space to explain your relationship.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:56 pm

Anyone who satisfies the requirements can apply whether employed, self-employed, unemployed, student, pensioner, homemaker, .....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

sm12
Diamond Member

Post by sm12 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:26 pm

Thank you so much for your replies.

I see some old posts indicating that NHS doctors cannot give references? Our family friend is a retired NHS doctor and she has known us for 30 years, so wondering if we should put in a note somewhere to explain that in the application if possible?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:42 pm

sm12 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:26 pm

I see some old posts indicating that NHS doctors cannot give references? Our family friend is a retired NHS doctor and she has known us for 30 years, so wondering if we should put in a note somewhere to explain that in the application if possible?
Write a covering note and load together with the referee declarations. NHS GPs were taken off the list of accepted professions some years ago, I believe due to workload issues in their job .... They could ask for another referee it they deem is necessary. Can't give you a guarantee of course.
If you know another professional perhaps you could ask them to referee .... see page 25 on https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ionals.pdf
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

sm12
Diamond Member

Post by sm12 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:02 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:42 pm
sm12 wrote:

Write a covering note and load together with the referee declarations. NHS GPs were taken off the list of accepted professions some years ago, I believe due to workload issues in their job .... They could ask for another referee it they deem is necessary. Can't give you a guarantee of course.
If you know another professional perhaps you could ask them to referee .... see page 25 on https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ionals.pdf
Unfortunately, there's nobody from that list who he has been touch with for the last 3 years. That's why I suggested that he asks our family friend. He can't leave the house much due to his disability, so his options are limited.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:10 pm

sm12 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:02 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:42 pm
sm12 wrote:

Unfortunately, there's nobody from that list who he has been touch with for the last 3 years. That's why I suggested that he asks our family friend. He can't leave the house much due to his disability, so his options are limited.
Provide what you have and include a cover letter.