ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Standard visa- Family visit documents/evidence enough??

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SeemB
Newly Registered

Standard visa for a British citizen wife possible?

Post by SeemB » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:59 am

Hi There, I am a British citizen, currently working/living in UK and would like to invite my wife who is a Indian citizen for short term ( less than 6 months) to UK.

Can I invite her to UK on standard visa or only way she can come to UK is on spouse visa? Kindly advise.

Thank you in advance!

vinny

Re: Standard visa for a British citizen wife possible?

Post by vinny » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:12 am

It's certainly possible, if you were working outside the UK, living with her and are both visiting the UK together. However, it may be more difficult when you are working in the UK to show that she intends to depart afterwards?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

SeemB
Newly Registered

Post by SeemB » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:42 am

Thank you for your reply.

My wife has sufficient funds in bank account ,PPF account and a car on her name in india .Will this be enough to prove she will return back before the visa expires?

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:16 am

SeemB wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:42 am
Thank you for your reply.

My wife has sufficient funds in bank account ,PPF account and a car on her name in india .Will this be enough to prove she will return back before the visa expires?
You will need to submit stronger documented evidence of ties to her home country, such as employment and other family ties there.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:05 am

SeemB wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:59 am
Hi There, I am a British citizen, currently working/living in UK and would like to invite my wife who is a Indian citizen for short term ( less than 6 months) to UK.

Can I invite her to UK on standard visa or only way she can come to UK is on spouse visa? Kindly advise.

Thank you in advance!
It isn't exactly impossible, just a bit tough as advised by the Moderators.

Look at it this way, you being British might be a stumbling if they want to deport your Mrs if she overstays. Because as a Brit, you are entitled to family life.

But, you're also entitled to have your spouse come visit you home and abroad. So the trick here is how to make it work. If you have an history of travelling together to various countries, it helps.
You might also want to arrange her trip to the UK to coincide with your anniversary. If you have plans of travelling to India, you could even buy a ticket to show that you would be returning to India with her when she's departing (just saying).
Show she works over there, holiday card and approval from HR or line manager.

Apply for just a 6 months visa as per standard visitor. Just note that whatever the outcome is, it doesn't affect future Spouse visa (if you plan that). All you have to loose really is a 6 months visa fee.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:22 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:05 am
Because as a Brit, you are entitled to family life.
There’s actually no right to family life in the UK.

Moreover, see also UK curbs the power of European Human Rights in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:31 pm

vinny wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:22 pm
Ticktack wrote:

Interesting read.

You could be forgiven for assuming that is all you need. You have family in the UK, so requiring you to leave the UK would breach your Article 8 right to family life. It’s not so simple.

The walls are closing in! :shock:

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:27 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:31 pm
vinny wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:22 pm
Ticktack wrote:

Interesting read.

You could be forgiven for assuming that is all you need. You have family in the UK, so requiring you to leave the UK would breach your Article 8 right to family life. It’s not so simple.

The walls are closing in! :shock:
This can't be news. The general rule is that British citizenship only gives a right to reside in the UK to the British citizen themselves. There is no right for the rest of the family to join them. The UK government's argument has been that if the British citizen insisted on a right to family life, the British citizen is always free to move to their spouse's/family's country of habitual residence. That is to say, that the family unit can live together outside the UK.

And that is not the walls closing in. That has been the UK government's approach for a decade plus. And if you want to look at the long term, the UK has been hostile to non-British immigration for upwards of a century. This is not something unique to this government, but something that has been true for generations. To be honest, Brexit and the British hostility towards its idea of free movement did not come as a surprise at all, especially if you have studied British history.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

SeemB
Newly Registered

Post by SeemB » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:21 pm

Hi Moderator, Hope you are doing good.

I hold a British passport and currently on a work assignment (Contract of 12 months ending 23rd June 2023) in the UK.
My son who is 2 years old is a British citizen and wife is Indian, both of them are in India at the moment.
I would like to invite my wife to the UK on a standard visa (Family visit) for a maximum of 4 months to celebrate the below occasions together as a family.
25th Dec - Christmas
1st Jan - New year
3rd Feb - My wife birthday
22nd Feb - Our anniversary
1st April - Our son's Birthday.
Please let me know if the below documents are enough evidence for UKVI to consider my application.

1. Itinerary flight returns tickets
Travel start date 23 Dec 2022
Return date:- 15 April 2023
2. My wife's salary slip - 3 months (She joined the job last month only).
3. Manager’s leave approval letter (Return back to work on 16th April 2023).
4. My son's school admission documents (He has got admission in India).
5. My wife's savings in an India Bank account (10K GBP equivalent in INR) from the past 10 years.
6. Letter from me inviting them and taking responsibility for our expenses.
7. House rent agreement in the UK (22nd Dec’2022 to 23rd June’23).
8. My UK bank statement (Showing a saving amount of 15K GBP)
9. My UK salary slips.
10. My Job contract letter.
11. My return flight ticket back to India (23 June 2023) as i want to join my family back in india after my job assignment.
12. Will attach all the evidence of occasions(Birthday and marriage Anniversary) which fall between those dates

Thank up for your time and valuable inputs.

SeemB
Newly Registered

Standard visa- Family visit documents/evidence enough??

Post by SeemB » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:12 am

I hold a British passport and currently on a work assignment (Contract of 12 months ending 23rd June 2023) in the UK.
My son who is 2 years old is a British citizen and wife is Indian, both of them are in India at the moment.
I would like to invite my wife to the UK on a standard visa (Family visit) for a maximum of 4 months to celebrate the below occasions together as a family.
25th Dec - Christmas
1st Jan - New year
Please let me know if the below documents are enough evidence for UKVI to consider my application.

5. My wife's savings in an India Bank account (10K GBP equivalent in INR) from the past 10 years.
9. My UK salary slips.
11. My return flight ticket back to India (23 June 2023) as i want to join my family back in india after my job assignment.
12. Will attach all the evidence of occasions(Birthday and marriage Anniversary) which fall between those dates

Thank you for your time and valuable inputs.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: Standard visa- Family visit documents/evidence enough??

Post by Ticktack » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:25 am

SeemB wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:12 am

25th Dec - Christmas
1st Jan - New year

9. My UK salary slips.

Thank you for your time and valuable inputs.
Guessing you're planning to apply around November for a 6 months visit visa. Documents look good, but in the same breath, asking her to come stay in the UK for 4 months is a bit bold.

I get that each month from entry date has a significant value to your family, but you have to look at it from the perspective of someone else's eyes.

Visit visas have no exact formula. It just depends on how it looks to the ECO.

She joined a new job last month, and she's now planning to disappear for 4 months. How does that look from an employers point of view. You're better off, cutting it down to 4-6 weeks.

Never look at things from your perspective, always look at it from the angle of the person you're trying to convince. They'll always find a reason not to approve your visa. Give them a reason to!

SeemB
Newly Registered

Re: Standard visa- Family visit documents/evidence enough??

Post by SeemB » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:42 pm

Thank you so much for your valuable input, Greatly appreciated!