ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement visa for married couple query

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dodger71
Newly Registered

Settlement visa for married couple query

Post by dodger71 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:10 am

Hi All,

I'm a British national planning to marry my Thailand national girlfriend.

She has been refused a visitors visa to the UK earlier this year. The reasons given were they were not satisfied of level of our relationship, and concerns that she won't return to Thailand when due.

Now that I've known her for over 2 years, and visited her twice in Thailand, and met all the family, we've decided to marry.

She is currently working in Russia and has found out that the Thai embassy offer a service where couples can be married in the embassy itself ( I assume under Thai laws).

The questions are, has anyone experience of this, and the associated application for the settlement visa to the UK embassy in Russia?

Would the application have a better chance of success if it was applied for in Thailand as opposed to Russia?

Is the settlement visa the correct visa for her to gain entry to the UK to live and work?

Many thanks in advance.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:17 am

Usually both of you will have to be of the same nationality if the embassy will marry you.

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:04 am

In my humble opinion, you guys will be far better off, if she applies in Thailand for a spouse visa
Skeptic

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:14 am

Is she legally resident in Russia?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

dodger71
Newly Registered

Post by dodger71 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:59 am

she has a 12 month contract to work in Russia, at a spa place.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:26 pm

See also 13.10 - Validity of marriages. Is a marriage conducted at the Thai Embassy in Russia valid in Russia?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:02 pm

Based on the question posed by respected members, and from an ECO's perspective, this is making a marriage quite complicated and knotty. If you have already been to Thailand to meet your partner's family, why not marry in Thailand? That would make the marriage valid by default and you would be saved a lot of grief later on.
Skeptic

dodger71
Newly Registered

Post by dodger71 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:39 am

Thank you for your comments so far :wink: .

Regarding validity of marriage if performed at the Thai embassy, I guess I can call the Visa application centre in Russia and seek advice.

Also, RiFF makes a very valid point. The main reason for choosing Russia is simply because that is where she is right now. She's working a 12 month contract, she also has no real need to return to Thailand just yet. It's also a whole lot cheaper and quicker to fly to Russia instead of Thailand.

But I can just imagine the ECO asking "So, why did you marry in the Embassy without any family members present?".... a solid answer might be difficult to find unless the above is enough, however, if the marriage IS valid and legal, should it really matter where it took place....

why is this so complicated :(

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:39 pm

Also, you will have to keep in mind that a good spouse visa case should always include pictures of your wedding, family members present, is a big plus. I would also advise you to include letters from close members of both your family and hers of approval of this marriage.
Skeptic

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:39 pm

Also, you will have to keep in mind that a good spouse visa case should always include pictures of your wedding, family members present, is a big plus. I would also advise you to include letters from close members of both your family and hers of approval of this marriage.
Skeptic

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:40 pm

Skeptic

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:24 pm

Remember too u need a visa for Russia, best part of a £100 quid now I think, my last one was £35 for visa fee, £40 for invite, and almost £10 for special delivery both ways...

Might make the visa-free flight to Thailand a bit more attractive...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

dodger71
Newly Registered

Post by dodger71 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:36 am

I'd prefer to be in Thailand thou. No offence to Russia as I've never been before, but I do love Thai; the food, humbleness of the people and cheap hotels to name a few things, not forgetting the weather, fresh fruit on ice....hmm the list can go on.

However it's a bunch cheaper to fly from Russia to UK, especially if I need 2 tickets. :D