ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

duffy1867

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by duffy1867 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:40 pm

martingeorge wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:40 pm
Hi all

Now have my FBR certificate which will be on its way back for a passport on Monday morning. Here are my dates. I did try and put them on the database but with no luck

Application on line and fee paid 8 Jan 2019......followed by a year being treated for cancer
Application received at Balbriggan 3 Feb 2020
Confirmation of address 25 May 2022
Congratulations 26 May 2022
FBR and docs received back home today 1 July 2022

Yes it does happen....Best wishes to everyone out there who is waiting....Martin
Congratulations, feels like a long time ago you were approved - glad to hear you've got it

I think my birth certificate hasn't moved for 40 years, so four trips across the Irish sea is quite the adventure :lol:

ozzy0174
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by ozzy0174 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:10 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:01 pm
AlexBrecks wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:35 pm
Long-time reader of the thread - excellent info thanks all.

Documents submitted during covid, no acknowledgement email

Wanted to see if anybody else was in the same situation. I submitted my physical documents in Feb. 21, sent directly to Dublin. I was moving around a lot at the time and it was the only chance I could get to have everything witnessed by people who knew me and met the criteria. I didn't catch the official advice to not submit documents.

I never received the "documents received" email. I have the payment confirmation email but that's it.

I'm just wondering if I should be worrying that my envelope has been lost/misdirected since the office has been open for 7 months now. Did anybody else submit an application during Covid (non-emergency), and did you receive the confirmation letter? Is there somebody I should be chasing about this? Thanks in advance!
I submitted my docs just before Covid hit and everything shutdown, but I have seen many people who submitted while the FBR was closed say the same thing. I wouldn't be too worried. Did you send it with some sort of tracking such that you have confirmation from the shipper that it got there? If so, I wouldn't worry too much. If not, I would simply call the number on the website, give them your application number and ask them to simply confirm they got your docs.
I started my application during COVID but couldn't send my documents until November 2021 due to the lockdown, tried calling after a couple months and when I finally got through they told me they can't confirm documents received until they start processing it, which is double annoying because when I tried to track it they said there was no signature on delivery because it went to a PO box (not really an excuse tbh considering the nature of the documents being sent). So I'm still in the dark. The fun part is I'm now living in Spain in a temporary student visa but don't know whether I need to proceed with other means of remaining here or if I'll have my Irish citizenship in time! I will call again but in my experience talking to them I'd rarely fruitful

Apple10

Post by Apple10 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:22 pm

That's so weird. When I got in touch with similar circumstances (application made July 2021 with docs sent in December 2021), they gave me the date my application was registered (Nov 21) and the date my docs were received (Dec 21).

I think it must just be absolute chaos in those offices and luck of who you manage to speak to and the time you speak to them. I got the above info Jan 2022 so assume it was a relatively quiet period.

hattie9
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by hattie9 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:52 pm

Hi All,

Glad to have found this board and thanks to all for providing valuable insight -- I only learned of my eligibility for Irish citizenship recently and am at the document-gathering phase in order to apply to join the FBR. I have a background in research and information management, so it is actually a good project for me to undertake for the next few years :D So far I have gathered/ordered:

-My birth certificate (extra copy, as it will clearly be in limbo for years)
-My marriage certificate
-My parents' marriage certificate (Canada, different province)
-My father's birth certificate (UK)
-My father's death certificate (Canada, separate province)
-My grandparents' marriage certificate (UK)
-My grandmother's death certificate (UK)
-My grandmother's birth certificate -- this is where the first hurdle arises.

Her birth (1896) doesn't appear in the civil register. I combed every database, free and subscription-based, to no avail. Went back and forth with the GRO, no luck. I thought I had hit an impasse but luckily found a scan of a baptism certificate through a cousin, and was able to order an official copy through the diocesan archives. Phew! Now I have to apply for a 'late registration', which involves submitting the following documents to the GRO in Roscommon (I have to say they were so helpful and a pleasure to speak with):

-Grandmother's baptism certificate
-Proof of her parents' marriage (in the civil registry, thankfully)
-Her death certificate
-Written attestations completed and signed before a commissioner of oaths.

I hope to have everything ready to submit by the end of summer and then ride out the long wait. I have to say it's been interesting -- I am not a genealogy buff myself but it's given me an interesting window into a side of my family I knew very little about. My dad's childhood wasn't great and he didn't speak much of it so I am putting together the pieces.

TrishMc
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration (passport)

Post by TrishMc » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:45 pm

This news story says 2 year wait for a passport for FBR people(!). The passport web site says 25 working days for this category for online first time applications. Anyone have recent actual experience? Hope that's not true, I'm a March 2020 applicant and hope to receive my FBR soon, then on to the passport application!

brainiacghost

Post by brainiacghost » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:21 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:45 pm
This news story says 2 year wait for a passport for FBR people(!). The passport web site says 25 working days for this category for online first time applications. Anyone have recent actual experience? Hope that's not true, I'm a March 2020 applicant and hope to receive my FBR soon, then on to the passport application!
I was approved in March 2022, sent off my passport application in April, and my new passport is in the post on its way now!

JT97

Post by JT97 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:48 am

TrishMc wrote:
I get the feeling it’s more of a 2 year from fbr application to passport delivery. If you think about common discourse most people will just talk about the whole process as applying for their Irish passport as most people won’t understand the full process especially those who haven’t been through it.

JohnFBR
Mood:

Post by JohnFBR » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:46 am

brainiacghost wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:21 pm
TrishMc wrote:
I was approved in March 2022, sent off my passport application in April, and my new passport is in the post on its way now!
I think they meant FBR+Passport application timeframe.

JohnFBR
Mood:

Post by JohnFBR » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:47 am

Any updates on what happened to the Google doc?
The colour scheme made my eyes bleed but it’s an important tool!

JohnFBR
Mood:

Post by JohnFBR » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:48 am

Shout out to Feb 2020 applicants.

Has anybody seen progress?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:56 am

JohnFBR wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:47 am
Any updates on what happened to the Google doc?
The colour scheme made my eyes bleed but it’s an important tool!
SrMcNix wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:03 pm

Here it is:

Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

brainiacghost

Post by brainiacghost » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:59 am

JohnFBR wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:46 am
brainiacghost wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:21 pm
TrishMc wrote:
I think they meant FBR+Passport application timeframe.
Applied Dec 2019, docs recieved Jan 10th 2020, so just over 2 1/2 years for me.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:15 pm

JohnFBR wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:48 am

Still seems very slow, the closer we get to mid-feb, the longer it seems to take (can only guess that it's due to sheer volume of applications in Feb) - I think 11 Feb is the latest approval I have seen (except that one random approval months ago in the middle of Feb)

At a guess they are working on 1-10 Feb at the min - and we know they are processing around 800 - 1,000 applications per month.

It'll be interesting to see if things 'speed up' once they get to March - May 20 applications

Personally, I have completely given up trying to estimate when I will hear anything, even my longest of the longest estimate was May 22

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:34 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:15 pm
JohnFBR wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:48 am

Still seems very slow, the closer we get to mid-feb, the longer it seems to take (can only guess that it's due to sheer volume of applications in Feb) - I think 11 Feb is the latest approval I have seen (except that one random approval months ago in the middle of Feb)

At a guess they are working on 1-10 Feb at the min - and we know they are processing around 800 - 1,000 applications per month.

It'll be interesting to see if things 'speed up' once they get to March - May 20 applications

Personally, I have completely given up trying to estimate when I will hear anything, even my longest of the longest estimate was May 22
Curious if anyone has tried to call them and get an actual status? I myself am approaching 29 months.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:42 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:34 pm
Curious if anyone has tried to call them and get an actual status? I myself am approaching 29 months.
I tried to call them a lot last month (got through zero times, listened to the recorded message a lot), then I realised that calls to ROI are not included in my plan, so I'll be trying that option a lot less from now on :lol:

IrishAl
Newly Registered

Post by IrishAl » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:09 pm

I was lucky

Wife was pregnant so got application expedited.

Applied between Christmas 2019 and New Year 2020. Wife due in September 2020

Everything processed and FBR confirmation received week before lockdown.

Going to apply now for passport and wondering if anyone knows how long this will take? Also, I have moved since registered on FBR, do I need to update my address with them?

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:36 pm

IrishAl wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:09 pm
Going to apply now for passport and wondering if anyone knows how long this will take? Also, I have moved since registered on FBR, do I need to update my address with them?
Luckily once you are on the FBR you don't need to have any further contact with them so no need to update address or anything. There seems to be no correct answer regards how long it takes for passport application to be processed. Only that there is a serious backlog & the department can't cope.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:28 am

IrishAl wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:09 pm
I was lucky

Wife was pregnant so got application expedited.

Applied between Christmas 2019 and New Year 2020. Wife due in September 2020

Everything processed and FBR confirmation received week before lockdown.

Judging from folks on this board, seems to be around 3 - 4 months to get the passport.

Jamesvii
Newly Registered

Post by Jamesvii » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:08 pm

JohnFBR wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:29 am
Jamesvii wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:43 pm
Mr_Knight wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:11 pm
Jamesvii wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:40 am
9 days! I'm an expectant parent and just sent my application on Thursday (9th June). My baby is due on the 19th November.

Unfortunately I didn't read this forum beforehand and, although I left a very clear note at the front of my application, I didn't leave a note on the envelope!

Is it likely mine will just get stuck in a pile of unopened envelopes now? I think I'll send an email in a couple of weeks to explain my situation further and pray for a resolution before November.
Personally I would not delay contacting them via email/phone, FBR/Passport service to either that will respond explaining the situation. Without the note on front of envelope it will just be stuck in the pile.
They have confirmed on 15th June that my application was received, which means they must have opened the envelope and must have seen my note about being an expectant parent, as this was at the front of my application and very clearly displayed.

I've just emailed the 'urgent' address and requested confirmation that my application has been expedited.
No guarantee it’s been opened. Your application number was on the front of the envelope.
An update on my case (expectant parent application).

- Application sent 9th June
- Confirmation of application received 15th June
- I emailed the urgent email address regarding my expectant parent status 15th June

I have just this morning (4th July) received confirmation that I have been entered onto the register. So it took 13 working days from my email to confirmation.

I know that I am extremely fortunate to be an expectant parent and to have my application rushed through. I am delighted. If anyone has any questions on the process for expectant parents please feel free to message me and I will offer advice where I can.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:37 pm

Update on Kildare Street today...

They seem to have processed 1,500 applications in 3 weeks (since 18th June) (up from our estimate of 900/1,000 per month)
The processing of Foreign Birth Registration (FBR) resumed in November 2021. FBR staff have since processed over 7,000 FBR applications while also continuing to provide support to passport services due to the unprecedented levels of passport demand.
39,000 applications on hand, up 1K in 3 weeks

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:41 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:37 pm

They seem to have processed 1,500 applications in 3 weeks (since 18th June) (up from our estimate of 900/1,000 per month)
Actually, that update was posted on the 30th June - so in around 2 weeks - this means they might be on for 3K a month!!

SrMcNix
Newly Registered
Bermuda

Post by SrMcNix » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:46 pm

Finally got my documents in the mail today today! That puts my timeline at 28 months and 27 days. This forum has been such a helpful resource during this whole process and I wish the very best of luck to everyone still waiting. On to my passport!

Application Date: Jan 8, 2020
Documents Received: Feb 7, 2020
Address Confirmation: May 26,2022
Congratulations Email: June 24,2022
FBR Certification received: July 5,2022

Also I have updated the spreadsheet with my dates.

Harryq
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Harryq » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:08 am

This is great news. Where did you find this information? Thank you
duffy1867 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:41 pm
duffy1867 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:37 pm

Actually, that update was posted on the 30th June - so in around 2 weeks - this means they might be on for 3K a month!!

MrMister2022
Newly Registered

Post by MrMister2022 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:32 am

Harryq wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:08 am
It looks like the information came from a recent response from the Minister for Foreign Affairs here:
https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... 06-30/160/
and from here:
https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... 06-14/582/

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:20 am

Harryq wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:08 am
here you go: https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id ... fbr#g448.r

Good website to keep an eye on, searching for FBR - the only place to find info outside of this forum :D

Interestingly - 'IF' (and of course big word... if) they keep going at this speed, the wait time will become closer to 12 months