ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Continuing work for a non-US employer during J2 visa

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vascos
Newly Registered
India

Continuing work for a non-US employer during J2 visa

Post by vascos » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:51 pm

Below is the specific context for my question:
  • Already working for a non-US employer, but would like to accompany spouse who is visiting US on a J1 visa for a fixed duration (6-9 months). The duration will NOT be longer than this for sure.
  • My current employment is a permanent work-from-home position for a non-US employer.
  • To be able to travel to the US on J2 visa, can I go on unpaid leave from my current non-US employer, without terminating the job? (of course assuming the employer is supportive of this)
  • Once I apply and receive the EAD in the US, can I then resume working for my current non-US employer?
  • If the above seems legally fine, what documentation should be provided at the time of the J2 visa interview? (E.g. would a letter from the employer confirming the unpaid leave until suitable employment authorization be sufficient?)
We are unable to find a resolution to this issue, and would sincerely appreciate your help and advice.
Many thanks in advance.