ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Notanotherusername
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Notanotherusername » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:22 pm

Can’t you go in person for a passport? I’m sure you used to be able to take your docs to Liverpool or London and do it there and then.
Colfla wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:40 pm
Anyone in the march 2021 club? Hoping that not many applications were sent over covid lockdowns. Still a bit worried my docs never arrived as never received a confirmation email!
Interesting. Did they close the offices? Good point about it possibly speeding up again. I sent ours nov 21 in that small window where the office reopened before it shut again in Dec. So we may be higher up the list than expected!

Notanotherusername
Newly Registered

Post by Notanotherusername » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:22 pm

Can’t you go in person for a passport? I’m sure you used to be able to take your docs to Liverpool or London and do it there and then.
Colfla wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:40 pm
Anyone in the march 2021 club? Hoping that not many applications were sent over covid lockdowns. Still a bit worried my docs never arrived as never received a confirmation email!
Interesting. Did they close the offices? Good point about it possibly speeding up again. I sent ours nov 21 in that small window where the office reopened before it shut again in Dec. So we may be higher up the list than expected!

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:05 pm

Just got through on the phone after getting fed up waiting (28 months, 17 days)

Asked for an update for a Feb 2020 applicant. I was told that they are currently working on January 2020 and have been for a few months....

They said they had no other information to provide at this time.

Feels like a kick in the teeth to be honest... (the recent Feb approvals on here are the only thing keeping me going...)

brainiacghost

Post by brainiacghost » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:39 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:08 pm
Alk1978 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:49 pm

He advised I take my late July trip on my U.K. passport and have everything ready so that the second I’m back I submit my application, and that yes my original U.K. passport must be part of that, not a notarised copy.
You might be better on the First Time passport chat as I have seen many other people approved with notarised passports - I'm guessing their process has not changed.

I personally have no intention of sending my passport over - back in the day jgclancy was approved in this method and send various notarised documents to avoid the issue.

Original passports from another country cannot be essential as not everyone is forced to have one.
I sent a witnessed copy and was approved and recieved my Irish passport last week (passport card due to arrive this week).

ELuFkoHwAya
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by ELuFkoHwAya » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:39 pm

ELuFkoHwAya wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:38 am
I have been quietly following this forum for years, so I figured I should post my dates, as I just received address confirmation.

Documents Received: February 14, 2020
Address Confirmation: July 08, 2022
Congratulations Email: Pending
FBR Certification Received: Pending

I also received a call from DFA informing me that everything is in order, so I suspect I should be receiving a congratulations email shortly. I asked about timelines to receive the certificate, and I was told they're averaging 4 weeks to receive the certificate by registered mail.
Quick update that I received my congratulations email today.

Congratulations Email: July 12, 2022

ELuFkoHwAya
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by ELuFkoHwAya » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:16 pm

Does anyone here know if you need to wait for the FBR certificate to arrive by mail prior to applying for a passport? I imagine that I should be okay starting the application immediately after receiving the confirmation email, correct?

Mr_Knight
Mood:

Post by Mr_Knight » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:27 pm

Notanotherusername wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:22 pm
I believe that particular Passport Express Service is not available for first time applicants.

Alk1978
Newly Registered

Post by Alk1978 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:34 pm

ELuFkoHwAya wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:16 pm
Does anyone here know if you need to wait for the FBR certificate to arrive by mail prior to applying for a passport? I imagine that I should be okay starting the application immediately after receiving the confirmation email, correct?
Having made the online part of my application today I can confirm that technically you don’t need the certificate in hand. Annoyingly, they will ask you to send it right back to them with your documents that follow the online application. However, my strong recommendation is that you only start the process when you get the ‘congrats you’re approved’ email, not the ‘you will shortly be approved email’. A minor technicality, but it is possible they could say that you weren’t on the register at the time you submitted the online application in which you claimed you were. There was about 4 weeks for me between “about to be approved” and “you are approved”. Irregardless, you will not be able to send the application paperwork in (yes the so-called “online application” culminates in a bunch of paperwork you need to get witnessed, and send in with your FBR certificate, birth certificate and I think some other odds and sods. Kinda annoying as they just sent the two aforementioned items back to me last week!

Alk1978
Newly Registered

Post by Alk1978 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:35 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:27 pm
Notanotherusername wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:22 pm
I believe that particular Passport Express Service is not available for first time applicants.
Closed down since covid so this is not an option.

ELuFkoHwAya
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by ELuFkoHwAya » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:37 pm

Alk1978 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:34 pm
ELuFkoHwAya wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:16 pm
Having made the online part of my application today I can confirm that technically you don’t need the certificate in hand. Annoyingly, they will ask you to send it right back to them with your documents that follow the online application. However, my strong recommendation is that you only start the process when you get the ‘congrats you’re approved’ email, not the ‘you will shortly be approved email’. A minor technicality, but it is possible they could say that you weren’t on the register at the time you submitted the online application in which you claimed you were. There was about 4 weeks for me between “about to be approved” and “you are approved”. Irregardless, you will not be able to send the application paperwork in (yes the so-called “online application” culminates in a bunch of paperwork you need to get witnessed, and send in with your FBR certificate, birth certificate and I think some other odds and sods. Kinda annoying as they just sent the two aforementioned items back to me last week!
Excellent, thanks for the reply.

Muscat

Post by Muscat » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:10 am

I applied for FBR on 19th Dec 2019. My passport was posted yesterday 12/07/2022 (this took well over three months). So pretty much 2 years 7 months from start of the fbr process to passport in hand. Hopefully it will be a shorter timeframe for most now. Wishing you all well with your applications.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:13 am

ELuFkoHwAya wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:39 pm
ELuFkoHwAya wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:38 am
I have been quietly following this forum for years, so I figured I should post my dates, as I just received address confirmation.

Congratulations Email: Pending

I also received a call from DFA informing me that everything is in order, so I suspect I should be receiving a congratulations email shortly. I asked about timelines to receive the certificate, and I was told they're averaging 4 weeks to receive the certificate by registered mail.
Quick update that I received my congratulations email today.

Congratulations Email: July 12, 2022
Curious, did you receive an official congratulations email? I received an email from an FBR employee thanking me for verifying my new address and telling me that my application is now approved. and my cert would be printed and mail. She also said I would receive an email shortly with tracking for the post.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:19 am

Muscat wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:10 am
I applied for FBR on 19th Dec 2019. My passport was posted yesterday 12/07/2022 (this took well over three months). So pretty much 2 years 7 months from start of the fbr process to passport in hand. Hopefully it will be a shorter timeframe for most now. Wishing you all well with your applications.
Congrats Muscat on being basically completely done. I'm expecting my cert within maybe a month, and then 3 months for passport which will put me at 2 years 9 months in total, so I think the time has actually increased between Dec 2019 apps and Feb 2020 applications. I'm hoping for those still waiting that they're able to turn that around within the year and the time will start decreasing back to more normal time frames. Seems to be move in fits and starts.

ELuFkoHwAya
Newly Registered
Norway

Post by ELuFkoHwAya » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:39 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:13 am
Curious, did you receive an official congratulations email? I received an email from an FBR employee thanking me for verifying my new address and telling me that my application is now approved. and my cert would be printed and mail. She also said I would receive an email shortly with tracking for the post.
Yes, the email comes directly from noreply@dfat.ie and reads as follows:
Subject: Application for Foreign Birth Registration 0000XXXXXX Approved

Congratulations, your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has been successful.

A certificate has now been printed and posted to the address provided by you. Please note that your application will be sent via Registered post and someone will need to be available to sign for the envelope.

If you live in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, Europe, USA, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand, Passport Online is the fastest and cheapest way for you to get your first Irish passport. See https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/ for more information.

Muscat

Post by Muscat » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:00 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:19 am

Congrats Muscat on being basically completely done. I'm expecting my cert within maybe a month, and then 3 months for passport which will put me at 2 years 9 months in total, so I think the time has actually increased between Dec 2019 apps and Feb 2020 applications. I'm hoping for those still waiting that they're able to turn that around within the year and the time will start decreasing back to more normal time frames. Seems to be move in fits and starts.
Thank you. I’m sorry, I didn’t realise it was even worse for some. Hope yours moves along as expected, if not quicker.

MKCG

Post by MKCG » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:16 pm

Cant believe Are they still not processing March 2020 applicants yet. Feels like they’ve been doing February 2020 since the Stone Age :-(

My docs received 25th March 2020, any estimates on when I’ll hear from them are most welcome

ripforreallldo
United States of America

Post by ripforreallldo » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:15 am

i agree it does feel like they’ve been doing feb 20 forever. i submitted electronically in march 20, docs received end of may 20. hoping and praying this is sorted by the end of the year when my visitor visa expires

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:37 am

Muscat wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:00 pm
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:19 am

Thank you. I’m sorry, I didn’t realise it was even worse for some. Hope yours moves along as expected, if not quicker.
No worries! I got approved recently and am waiting for my cert and docs, was only pointing out between Dec 2019 applicants and feb it seems to be getting slower, not faster. Let's hope for all the remaining folks that they find a way to speed it up!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:41 am

ELuFkoHwAya wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:39 pm
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:

Congratulations, your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has been successful.

A certificate has now been printed and posted to the address provided by you. Please note that your application will be sent via Registered post and someone will need to be available to sign for the envelope.

If you live in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, Europe, USA, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand, Passport Online is the fastest and cheapest way for you to get your first Irish passport. See https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/ for more information.

Very interesting, I got an email from an actual person saying all that.

"Your FBR application has been approved this morning. An FBR certificate will be issued shortly, then you will receive an email confirming that all your documents are in the post. All documents will be returned by registered post."

Perhaps because I had the extra step of confirming my new address. Or perhaps because my cert has not been printed and sent out yet. Either way, happy to be done with it and approved!

Bun_123
Newly Registered

Post by Bun_123 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:41 pm

Hi all, forum lurker here!

My documents were received in July 2020. I wanted to ask for those who've received certificates in the UK, are they sent by royal mail? I am renting my home out this year and have a redirect in place but if Royal Mail is not the carrier then thinking I would need to provide my current abode. Thanks!

brainiacghost

Post by brainiacghost » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:18 pm

Bun_123 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:41 pm
Hi all, forum lurker here!

My documents were received in July 2020. I wanted to ask for those who've received certificates in the UK, are they sent by royal mail? I am renting my home out this year and have a redirect in place but if Royal Mail is not the carrier then thinking I would need to provide my current abode. Thanks!
They're sent via AnPost international, which uses Royal Mail when in the UK.

Either way, you'll be contacted prior to the certificates being issued asking for your current address (and for you to provide proof if it's changed).

brainiacghost

Post by brainiacghost » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:20 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:41 am
ELuFkoHwAya wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:39 pm
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:

Very interesting, I got an email from an actual person saying all that.

"Your FBR application has been approved this morning. An FBR certificate will be issued shortly, then you will receive an email confirming that all your documents are in the post. All documents will be returned by registered post."

Perhaps because I had the extra step of confirming my new address. Or perhaps because my cert has not been printed and sent out yet. Either way, happy to be done with it and approved!
I got the automated email a fortnight or so after the email from the employee which was when the certificate was posted.

SL6
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by SL6 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:19 am

Hi don’t know how f anyone can answer this. I have applied on the FBR for my two younger adults… the are both received as March 2020 and both have moved out of the family home n this time. As they can still have post directed to us and possibly they don’t thave won’t go proof of new address status, can the family address still be given and will they need further proof?
Thx in anticipation

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:22 am

SL6 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:19 am
Hi don’t know how f anyone can answer this. I have applied on the FBR for my two younger adults… the are both received as March 2020 and both have moved out of the family home n this time. As they can still have post directed to us and possibly they don’t thave won’t go proof of new address status, can the family address still be given and will they need further proof?
Thx in anticipation
I assume you are talking about your 2 adult children? I would simply leave the family home address as you still live there and can receive the FBR certificate and documents for them.

The primary reason for the address confirmation is to ensure that they are sending the FBR cert and returned documents to the correct address. Since it is still an address that you can receive mail for your kids, I would just leave it.

Celtic_Bee
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Celtic_Bee » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:13 pm

Date of Application: 02/17/2020
Date of Address Confirmation: 07/11/2022
Date of Congratulations: pending
FBR Certification Received: pending