ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

fiqbal

Re: Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode

Post by fiqbal » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:55 am

Is there any issue between my marriage date and sons birth date.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:47 am

No, unless child’s mother was married to someone else at the time of birth.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

fiqbal

Post by fiqbal » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:23 am

Thank you so much for your help

fiqbal

Post by fiqbal » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:08 pm

I just wanted to say thankyou for your support I got it from that forum .
My kids application for right of abode is approved within 10 days.
Thankyou vinny

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:57 pm

That was quick!
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

rylo
Newly Registered

Post by rylo » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:11 am

Is there a kind soul out here who can tell me what is the latest timeline on the application to transfer the CoE-RoA?

I see there were a few who applied. May I know how long it took in the end?

Sniper77
Newly Registered
Sweden

Post by Sniper77 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:40 pm

Hi all. I had my British citizenship ceremony today (woop :D ) and have a question.

I was a Swedish citizen with a Swedish passport, living in the UK for 25+ years. I applied for settled status a few years ago and successfully got it. Then, 6 months ago I decided to apply for British citizenship- today I officially became a British citizen. My next step is to apply for a British passport.

So, to sum up my situation, I am a dual-citizen of Sweden and Britain and plan to use two passports depending on where I go.

However, one thing that threw me off was that I read in order to travel outside of the UK on a non-British passport, the non-British passport must be endorsed to show that you have right of abode. My question is whether I need to do this for my Swedish passport? I already had settled status and was travelling freely on my Swedish passport prior to getting citizenship, so I can't see why I would but I thought I'd double check anyway.

Any help would be appreciated :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:45 pm

Sniper77 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:40 pm
Hi all. I had my British citizenship ceremony today (woop :D ) and have a question.

I was a Swedish citizen with a Swedish passport, living in the UK for 25+ years. I applied for settled status a few years ago and successfully got it. Then, 6 months ago I decided to apply for British citizenship- today I officially became a British citizen. My next step is to apply for a British passport.

So, to sum up my situation, I am a dual-citizen of Sweden and Britain and plan to use two passports depending on where I go.

However, one thing that threw me off was that I read in order to travel outside of the UK on a non-British passport, the non-British passport must be endorsed to show that you have right of abode. My question is whether I need to do this for my Swedish passport? I already had settled status and was travelling freely on my Swedish passport prior to getting citizenship, so I can't see why I would but I thought I'd double check anyway.

Not required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Sniper77
Newly Registered
Sweden

Post by Sniper77 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:48 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:45 pm
Sniper77 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:40 pm

Not required.

Great news, and thanks for the quick response!

Ixeon659
Latvia

Post by Ixeon659 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:07 pm

Always was curious, why would someone want this certificate in their passport instead of getting British passport?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:22 am

Jingax59
Newly Registered
India

Post by Jingax59 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:44 am

Some countries dont allow dual passports- the right of abode practically gives you a UK passport?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:55 am

Jingax59 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:44 am
Some countries dont allow dual passports- the right of abode practically gives you a UK passport?
Only if you are a British citizen. If you are a Commonwealth citizen with Right of Abode born before 1983, then no.

A British citizen has Right of Abode and the right to a British passport. A Commonwealth citizen with Right of Abode has the former, but not the latter.

A passport (any passport, of any country) is mainly for use outside the country that issues it (i.e. it is a travel document). One can have other statuses within a country (such as Commonwealth citizenship, Right of Abode, ILR, etc in the UK) that may confer rights or abilities within the country, but not outside it.

Some countries, like India, allow dual citizenship if acquired at birth, but not dual passports. And an Indian passport with a CoE-RoA is acceptable by Indian authorities. That is at least one reason why some dual British-Indian citizens go down the pathway of Indian passports with CoE-RoA.

A Commonwealth citizen with Right of Abode can move to the UK on that Right of Abode and naturalise as a British citizen in the usual manner after five years of residence. They will still need to meet all the usual requirements for naturalisation auch as English language test, LITUK test, meeting the absences and physical presence requirements, etc.

Once they become a British citizen, they can apply for a British passport in the usual way.

They will have the advantage of not having to apply for a visa or being subject to visa rules. Essentially they will have the same rights as Irish citizens in the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Ixeon659
Latvia

Post by Ixeon659 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:13 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:55 am
Jingax59 wrote:
Some countries, like India, allow dual citizenship if acquired at birth, but not dual passports. And an Indian passport with a CoE-RoA is acceptable by Indian authorities. That is at least one reason why some dual British-Indian citizens go down the pathway of Indian passports with CoE-RoA.
That's quite strange, as I understand it doesn't give too much. I.e. if you are Indian who just have naturalised and applied for CoE, then he still can't travel to other countries without visas like EU countries, USA, Canada etc.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:31 am

Ixeon659 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:13 pm
secret.simon wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:55 am
Jingax59 wrote:
That's quite strange, as I understand it doesn't give too much. I.e. if you are Indian who just have naturalised and applied for CoE, then he still can't travel to other countries without visas like EU countries, USA, Canada etc.
If Indian person is naturalized, they would forfeit their original nationality, as they gained other one voluntary, so not really applicable here - that's more for someone with a British and an Indian parent, so they could keep both nationalities until the child picks one they prefer, for example.
And yes, it doesn't give right for visa-free travel to USA, for example (but Brits also have to do ESTA..)
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Sumit21
Newly Registered

Post by Sumit21 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:34 pm

Has anyone recently applied for COE-ROA from India? If yes how long did it take to receive it?

ronnab
Newly Registered
Maldives

Post by ronnab » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:41 am

Sumit21 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:34 pm
Has anyone recently applied for COE-ROA from India? If yes how long did it take to receive it?
Yes. My husband did. Took 6 days from appointment date to the email saying a decision was made and a further 3 days to get the passport back.

sousa5345
Newly Registered

Post by sousa5345 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:00 pm

Hi i'm applying for Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode
for my kids who's born in 2019 and 2023.

Can someone confirm the checklist?

British parent Naturalisation certificate /
Applicant birth certificate /
Applicant passport /
Applicant Passport size photo
Applicant Parent marriage certificate
Copy of Father British Passport
Copy of Mother Passport
Applicant antenatal records and hospital discharge papers.

I need help with questions regarding nationality on the online form for COE-ROA.

Personal information
Country of nationality - India??
Country of birth - India
Place of birth - Margao - Goa
Date of birth

Other nationality details
Country of other nationality - British Citizen
Date held from - 30 November 2019

This are quest are after the Passport detail

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:10 pm

sousa5345 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:00 pm
Hi i'm applying for Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode
for my kids who's born in 2019 and 2023.

Can someone confirm the checklist?

British parent Naturalisation certificate /
Applicant birth certificate /
Applicant passport /
Applicant Passport size photo
Copy of Father British Passport
Copy of Mother Passport
Applicant antenatal records and hospital discharge papers.

I need help with questions regarding nationality on the online form for COE-ROA.

Personal information
Country of nationality - India??
Country of birth - India
Place of birth - Margao - Goa
Date of birth

Other nationality details
Country of other nationality - British Citizen
Date held from - 30 November 2019

This are quest are after the Passport detail
Please continue your questions in your existing topic/thread you already have instead if posting across multiple topics!!

british-citizenship/certificate-of-enti ... l#p2132493
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.