ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Celtic_Bee
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Celtic_Bee » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:11 pm

Themag62 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:27 pm
SeanPD Congrats! Can anyone post here from what .ie email they are receiving the email asking for current address? FBR.ie? DFAT.ie? I want to search my inbox by the address every day. My EU university student's docs were also received on 2/17/20. The delay in citizenship will cost me another 10k+ USD this year. I cannot help myself from being LIVID at the Irish government. It does not appear they are processing applications "in strict date order" as purported, as there are some who have posted here with document confirmation before 2/17/20 who have heard nothing back. The dates are all over the place.

I know from friends in similar circumstances with FBR in ITALY (!!) and Germany, they are caught up with their Covid lockdown backlog.

But anyway, what is that email address from which you get the long awaited contact?

Thanks!
The email requesting address confirmation for me came from a @dfa.ie address.

Seanpd
Newly Registered

Post by Seanpd » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:05 am

Hi. The email address I got address confirmation from was: fbrclarification@dfa.ie
I also replied to that with address confirmation as requested:

I am pleased to inform you that your application for entry into the Foreign Births Register will be approved shortly. A Foreign Birth Registration Certificate and your original documents will be returned to you by registered post, which will require a signature on delivery.

To ensure these documents are dispatched to the correct address you should confirm your address by return email. If you have moved address since you completed your application you should provide a scanned copy of proof of that new address, e.g. original utility bills, bank statements, government correspondence.

Your application will not be approved until you confirm your address.

Please note that your documents will be sent via Registered post and someone will need to be available to sign for the envelope.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards

(Staff member name was also inserted here-but don’t want to add in public forum)

Foreign Births Registration Section

MrMister2022
Newly Registered

Post by MrMister2022 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:54 am

Pb300 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:44 am
I received my passport last week so it appears that I've come to the end of a long journey. Many thanks to all the folks how contribute to this discussion. Your advise and encouragement have been helpful.
Applied Online: 5 May 2022
Documents Received: 20 Jun 2022
Address Confirmation: 10 Mar 2022
Congratulation email: 28 Mar 2022 (nearly 3 weeks since address confirmation)
FBR received: 2 Apr 2022
Passport application online: 28 Mar 2022
Passport documents received: 9 May 2022
Passport documents registered: 15 May 2022
Passport received: 13 Jul 2022. (Much longer than advertised on passport tracking website)

One oddity about the passport however. ICAO standard size of passport is 88mm x135mm. This is supposed to be the same size for all countries. My new Irish passport measures 92mm wide - just slightly too large to fit standard passport covers. Not sure if this is a manufacturing defect?
Congratulations on getting your passport! Re: the passport dimensions, I can say that I had a previous passport that was 92mm x 125mm. When I renewed it, the replacement was 88mm x 125mm. So I think there are tolerances.

TInFE
Newly Registered

Post by TInFE » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:31 am

JohnFBR wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:27 am
Mandino55 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:31 am
I feel like this must have been covered by someone already but why is February going so slowly? Was there a massive surge of applicants in February 2020? What are everyones theories?
Combination of Brexit kicking in and pre-Covid timing. I saw a 14th Feb get processed. Someone above Dalton? Estimated they are working through two days every week. It does seem to have picked up momentum recently.
As a Feb/March 2020 applicant, can confirm brexit was the main factor. While friends joke with me its about getting a passport to jump a few queues - and I will laugh along with them - for me it has been quite a personal decision to modify my nationality and thus identity. I can't be the only one who spent early feb 2020 gathering certificates!

Mandino55
Canada

Post by Mandino55 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:27 pm

TInFE wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:31 am
JohnFBR wrote:
Mandino55 wrote:
I feel like this must have been covered by someone already but why is February going so slowly? Was there a massive surge of applicants in February 2020? What are everyones theories?
Combination of Brexit kicking in and pre-Covid timing. I saw a 14th Feb get processed. Someone above Dalton? Estimated they are working through two days every week. It does seem to have picked up momentum recently.
As a Feb/March 2020 applicant, can confirm brexit was the main factor. While friends joke with me its about getting a passport to jump a few queues - and I will laugh along with them - for me it has been quite a personal decision to modify my nationality and thus identity. I can't be the only one who spent early feb 2020 gathering certificates!
Right, so there is simply more volume due to Brexit kicking in at the start of February 2020. Thanks!

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:42 pm

Celtic_Bee wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:46 pm
Yes, I will share what little I know. I mailed the docs on 02/10/2020 using USPS Express International. I never received a confirmation from the FBR that they were received but it was confirmed through the USPS tracking and return receipt dated 02/17/2020. I heard nothing until the email asking for address confirmation on 07/11/2022. I hope this helps.
Thanks! Very consistent with the others on similar dates then

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:48 pm

TInFE wrote:
Very similar to my story, something I was always going to do; to learn, connect to my roots and Irish family. Brexit was the thing that gave me the kick/urgency - decided to do it in Nov 2019, and took me until mid Feb to be ready to send off the docs.

On a side note, don't bother asking family for favours and to borrow docs, even those who want to help take weeks or months to dig them out. Order them online, you'll have them in a few days (and I would have been able to apply several months earlier and would have FBR by now)

TInFE
Newly Registered

Post by TInFE » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:00 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:48 pm
Very similar to my story, something I was always going to do; to learn, connect to my roots and Irish family. Brexit was the thing that gave me the kick/urgency - decided to do it in Nov 2019, and took me until mid Feb to be ready to send off the docs.

On a side note, don't bother asking family for favours and to borrow docs, even those who want to help take weeks or months to dig them out. Order them online, you'll have them in a few days (and I would have been able to apply several months earlier and would have FBR by now)
I did the same- ordered fresh copies of everything to keep it simple.

I also did quite a lot of genealogy during lock-down tracing back my Irish side and connecting with DNA relatives all over the world - one benefit of brexit, maybe ...

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:57 pm

Mandino55 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:27 pm
TInFE wrote:
JohnFBR wrote:
Mandino55 wrote:
Right, so there is simply more volume due to Brexit kicking in at the start of February 2020. Thanks!
I'd agree, can't be a coincidence that Brexit went into effect Jan 31,2020 and January and February have seemed to take a very long time. Seemed like they were working on December and January for months and months months.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:31 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:57 pm
I'd agree, can't be a coincidence that Brexit went into effect Jan 31,2020 and January and February have seemed to take a very long time. Seemed like they were working on December and January for months and months months.
I also seem to remember that at the time (back end of 2019) - the Irish Government were encouraging people not to apply until the contents (and new citizen rights) of the brexit deal were fully known

JohnFBR
Mood:

Post by JohnFBR » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:01 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:31 pm
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:57 pm
I also seem to remember that at the time (back end of 2019) - the Irish Government were encouraging people not to apply until the contents (and new citizen rights) of the brexit deal were fully known
Two very different things. Brexit has nothing to do with FBR.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:58 pm

JohnFBR wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:01 pm
If Brexit has nothing to do with FBR then someone should definitely tell Simon Coveney, he mentions it as the most important factor, causing the backlog in every update (next to covid)
Due to the complex nature of the Foreign Birth Registration (FBR) process, the large increase in applications received following the Brexit vote in the UK, and the pause in the Service due to necessary Covid-19 restrictions, applicants should allow over 2 years from the receipt of supporting documentation for processing of FBR applications at this time.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id ... br#g1117.r

JohnFBR
Mood:

Post by JohnFBR » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:40 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:58 pm
JohnFBR wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:01 pm
If Brexit has nothing to do with FBR then someone should definitely tell Simon Coveney, he mentions it as the most important factor, causing the backlog in every update (next to covid)
Due to the complex nature of the Foreign Birth Registration (FBR) process, the large increase in applications received following the Brexit vote in the UK, and the pause in the Service due to necessary Covid-19 restrictions, applicants should allow over 2 years from the receipt of supporting documentation for processing of FBR applications at this time.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id ... br#g1117.r
You said the Irish Gov was discouraging people applying.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:19 pm

JohnFBR wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:40 pm
I said
the Irish Government were encouraging people not to apply until the contents (and new citizen rights) of the brexit deal were fully known
They were encouraging people not to rush at the time, and advised potential applicants that nothing would change in terms of future entitlement to citizenship (post Brexit).

Taken from DFA in 2018;
Before the UK’s withdrawal from the EU, UK passport holders continue to enjoy the rights of EU citizens including free movement within the EU.

There will be no Brexit related changes to the entitlement to Irish passports. This includes people who were:
  • born on the island of Ireland
    born outside Ireland but have Irish-born parents or grandparents.
There is no urgent need for UK passport holders (whether based in the UK or elsewhere) to look into applying for an Irish passport. Potential applicants should take time to establish the facts in relation to their entitlement.

Press: https://www.irishcentral.com/news/polit ... ore-brexit
& from the DFA (presumably at the same time as it's quoted in the article: https://www.dfa.ie/irelanduk-citizenshipandpassports/
This goes a long way to explan why many British people might have waited until the Brexit deal was reached before applying for FBR, and hence the long delays in Jan/Feb that we are seeing now

JohnFBR
Mood:

Post by JohnFBR » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:12 am

duffy1867 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:19 pm
JohnFBR wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:40 pm
I said
the Irish Government were encouraging people not to apply until the contents (and new citizen rights) of the brexit deal were fully known
They were encouraging people not to rush at the time, and advised potential applicants that nothing would change in terms of future entitlement to citizenship (post Brexit).

Taken from DFA in 2018;
Before the UK’s withdrawal from the EU, UK passport holders continue to enjoy the rights of EU citizens including free movement within the EU.

There will be no Brexit related changes to the entitlement to Irish passports. This includes people who were:
  • born on the island of Ireland
    born outside Ireland but have Irish-born parents or grandparents.
There is no urgent need for UK passport holders (whether based in the UK or elsewhere) to look into applying for an Irish passport. Potential applicants should take time to establish the facts in relation to their entitlement.

Press: https://www.irishcentral.com/news/polit ... ore-brexit
& from the DFA (presumably at the same time as it's quoted in the article: https://www.dfa.ie/irelanduk-citizenshipandpassports/
This goes a long way to explan why many British people might have waited until the Brexit deal was reached before applying for FBR, and hence the long delays in Jan/Feb that we are seeing now
Ok, fair enough. I take that as informing people that Brexit wouldn’t/shouldn’t impact peoples status/requirement to need an Irish passport from
The fallout of Brexit and I agree that when a hard Brexit was announced it would have dramatically increased the number of applications but I also stand by the point that Irelands ability to issue citizenship was not or could not be effected by Brexit.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:11 pm

JohnFBR wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:12 am
Ok, fair enough. I take that as informing people that Brexit wouldn’t/shouldn’t impact peoples status/requirement to need an Irish passport from
The fallout of Brexit and I agree that when a hard Brexit was announced it would have dramatically increased the number of applications but I also stand by the point that Irelands ability to issue citizenship was not or could not be effected by Brexit.
Fair - heres to hoping for some progress next week and hopefully an email

I think people like me (docs received on 25th Feb) might be waiting another 3 or 4 weeks, whereas for you on the 19th, you might be in luck next week - fingers crossed.

For the March 2020 Club - unless someone disagrees, I think mid-September might (unfortunately) be a realistic possibility? Personally, I do still think they will speed up by the end of the year (Oct/Nov), particularly when the passport numbers calm down post-summer.

Themag62
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Themag62 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:10 am

The day finally arrived!
Email application documents were received-February 17, 2020
Email application was about to be approved and address verification requested-7/21/2022

Replied to 7/21/2022 email on 7/22/2022 with bank statement showing change of address.

Thanks to all on this forum. It was a godsend.
Will post again when certificate is received.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:10 pm

Themag62 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:10 am
The day finally arrived!
Email application documents were received-February 17, 2020
Email application was about to be approved and address verification requested-7/21/2022

Replied to 7/21/2022 email on 7/22/2022 with bank statement showing change of address.

Thanks to all on this forum. It was a godsend.
Will post again when certificate is received.
Congrats! For a while there felt like they were never going to get to Feb, but then one day the email is there! Honestly I must've read mine 4 or 5 times in disbelief that it had finally come. Let's hope they find a way to speed up the process for future applicants and those still waiting. On to the passport process next!

TInFE
Newly Registered

Post by TInFE » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:19 am

duffy1867 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:11 pm

For the March 2020 Club - unless someone disagrees, I think mid-September might (unfortunately) be a realistic possibility? Personally, I do still think they will speed up by the end of the year (Oct/Nov), particularly when the passport numbers calm down post-summer.
I'll raise you August :-) - because passport renewals must have peaked by now as holidays are in full swing...

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:37 pm

TInFE wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:19 am
I'll raise you August :-) - because passport renewals must have peaked by now as holidays are in full swing...
Fingers crossed - it'll feel like real progress if they are processing March 2020 in August.

GlasgowLass
Newly Registered

Post by GlasgowLass » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:15 pm

Colfla wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:40 pm
Anyone in the march 2021 club? Hoping that not many applications were sent over covid lockdowns. Still a bit worried my docs never arrived as never received a confirmation email!
I’m April 2021 and didn’t get a confirmation email either. Checked my Royal Mail tracking and application was received though so fingers crossed 🤞. Gonna be another year at least I think …

Celtic_Bee
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Celtic_Bee » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:07 pm

Celtic_Bee wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:13 pm
Date of Application: 02/17/2020
Date of Address Confirmation: 07/11/2022
Date of Congratulations: 07/25/2022
FBR Certification Received: pending

JFD22
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by JFD22 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:07 pm

Hello all,
I'm in the early March 20 Club. I mailed the documents in February 2020. I received an email dated 3/5/20 that my Foreign Birth application and documents received. I will post as soon as I hear something and at least we will know they working on March 2020 applications.
Good luck everybody.

FieldsOfAthenry
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by FieldsOfAthenry » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:44 pm

Application submitted online: 24 Feb 2020
Documentation delivered: 4 March 2020 (via USPS tracking)
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 8 Nov 2020 (after contacting FBR chat to check on status)
Confirmation of address email: TBD
Congrats email: TBD
FBR certificate received: TBD

Hopefully it won't be too much longer...

JohnFBR
Mood:

Post by JohnFBR » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:29 pm

FieldsOfAthenry wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:44 pm
Application submitted online: 24 Feb 2020
Documentation delivered: 4 March 2020 (via USPS tracking)
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 8 Nov 2020 (after contacting FBR chat to check on status)
Confirmation of address email: TBD
Congrats email: TBD
FBR certificate received: TBD

Hopefully it won't be too much longer...
I’m the 19th Feb. No news yet! :(