ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adoption and PR Application

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

barkus
Newly Registered

Adoption and PR Application

Post by barkus » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:12 pm

Wife – British, myself – South African
I was granted EEA family permit in August 2004, moved to UK in October 2004. Got 5 year residence permit in June 2005.

Both of us have been employed full time since moving to UK and I was hoping to apply for PR later next year (Around October).

In the meantime we have started adoption process and should be matched with a child early next year. The plan was for my wife to take adoption leave for at least 6 months, as she will be entitled to statutory adoption pay for up to 39 weeks.

Now, we are not sure how will this be seen by Home Office regarding Treaty rights and public funds.
Also, should this period be qualified as self-sufficiency?
What about evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance?

Will this and how affect the PR application, any thoughts?

Thanks,
M

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:28 pm

Actually this is the same question that I want to ask. I am from Pakistan and recently awarded an initial spouse visa for 2 years. What is the difference in laws or processes, if we adopt here from Pakistan, as to if we adopt a kid from the UK?

In addition, i would also like to know about what barkus has asked above
Skeptic

JAJ
Australia

Re: Adoption and PR Application

Post by JAJ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:03 am

barkus wrote:Wife – British, myself – South African
I was granted EEA family permit in August 2004, moved to UK in October 2004. Got 5 year residence permit in June 2005.

Both of us have been employed full time since moving to UK and I was hoping to apply for PR later next year (Around October).

In the meantime we have started adoption process and should be matched with a child early next year. The plan was for my wife to take adoption leave for at least 6 months, as she will be entitled to statutory adoption pay for up to 39 weeks.

Now, we are not sure how will this be seen by Home Office regarding Treaty rights and public funds.
Also, should this period be qualified as self-sufficiency?
What about evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance?
Breaks in employment do not usually pose a bar to being treated as a "worker" under EEA rules, as far as I know.

How did she get an EEA permit in the first place? Any why did she not get a spouse visa, the pathway to British citizenship for her would be quicker.

barkus
Newly Registered

Post by barkus » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:57 pm

Thanks JAJ,

My wife does not have EEA permit, she is British citizen. I got EEA permit on a basis that we were living in Republic of Ireland at the time and she was returning to UK.

MouseyOne
Newly Registered

Post by MouseyOne » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:31 pm

In response to riff, I am not sure about Immigration laws. But call your local council, they should be able to help you with adoption within or outside the UK. They usually have books and things they can send you. If you have pakistani residency / nationality I would use that to adopt then bring the child here (personally), otherwise it can be much more expensive doing it as a british person whether you are adopting from the UK or outside. If you are british, they would still need to do home visits, court fees etc, all of which you need to pay for can take 2 yrs sometimes plus agency fees.