ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eu3 and employment

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

griffith2
Ireland

Eu3 and employment

Post by griffith2 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:41 am

Hi

I think this question was answered by moderator @Obie but that was long time ago and i can't find the thread so i have decided to post this again.

I have an EU3 permenent residence card valid for 10 years.

Does the EU citizen still needs to be exercising their treaty rights?
I mean is it still mandatory that they should be in a continous employment?

Previously the department would contact the applicant only if an application is on-going but what about those who have been approved and not waiting on a decision?

Please advice

Thankyou

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Eu3 and employment

Post by littlerr » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:26 pm

EU3 is on the applicant's own merit. There is no longer a 'sponsor'. If for example the EU national leaves the country, the non-EU national can still live here without any restrictions. Neither the EU nor the non-EU national needs to exercise treaty rights once they obtain the permanent residence.

zwei1213
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by zwei1213 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:41 pm

Since we are this on subject, one of my close friend (non-eu citizen) has been on EU3 for a couple of years. She has recently went through some tough time and her husband (EU citizen) has decided to go for the divorce. My question is what would happen to her EU3 permission to stay in the state? does she has to let the department know that she is going for divorce ?

griffith2
Ireland

Post by griffith2 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:14 pm

littlerr wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:26 pm
EU3 is on the applicant's own merit. There is no longer a 'sponsor'. If for example the EU national leaves the country, the non-EU national can still live here without any restrictions. Neither the EU nor the non-EU national needs to exercise treaty rights once they obtain the permanent residence.
Thankyou, i thought the residence card is issued on the basis of marriage and EU citizen exercising treaty rights. I do remember i gave past 5 years documents and job letters back then but i didn't know that the EU citizen is no longer required to be in a continous employment.

Does that mean the department should only be contacted in the case of divorce when i will be required to fill-in an EU5 ? Would EU citizen's unemployment and social welfare would be a problem?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:55 pm

No. Once you obtain 5 years of residency, both you and your EU spouse acquire the rights to permanent residency on your own merit. That means, there is nothing that INIS can use to remove you from the state. (Well except for other legitimate grounds such as national security or if INIS has reasonable grounds to believe that your permission was obtained by fraud.)

You do not need to apply for an EU5 in case of divorce (you should still let them know though). You do not need to apply for separate permissions if your spouse leave the country. You do not need to have a job. You do not need to show proof of private insurance. Both you and your spouse enjoy the exact same rights an Irish national has, with some limited exceptions (e.g. you cannot vote in referendums, and you cannot leave the country for more than 2 consecutive years).