ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 4 Entry/Exit without spouse

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

luxurylemon
Ireland

Stamp 4 Entry/Exit without spouse

Post by luxurylemon » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:59 pm

Hi All,

This might seem like a silly question.
My husband has to go on a business trip. His employer is sending him because its in the US and hes a US Citizen anyway so a lot easier. A lot of the people on his team would need a visa for the US.

He has a Stamp 4 on the basis of being married to me (Irish). Since we got married we have only left and come back to Ireland together, holidays, visiting his family etc. He ha never gone on a trip alone. I assume that its fine he can leave and re-enter Ireland alone with his IRP card, and we don't have to travel together as its based on marriage? He doesn't require any visas just the IRP.
Sorry if it seems a silly question, he asked and I said I don't know I assume so!
I also guess he probably cant go through the EU queue in the airport on return without me right and will have to go to the non eu queue?

meself2
Ireland

Re: Stamp 4 Entry/Exit without spouse

Post by meself2 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:26 pm

Yes to both.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

O'Ramires
Mood:
Brazil

Post by O'Ramires » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:05 pm

He can travel on his own, no problem.

I was once told by an airport immigration agent (NON-EU citizen queue) that I could use the EU citizen queue with my stamp 4, even when traveling alone. The problem is that not every agent follows the same rule, and I've been told to go to the NON-EU queue even when travelling with my partner. To avoid any hassle I always go to the non -EU citizen queue and, to be fair, sometimes it's actually quicker.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:25 pm

O'Ramires wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:05 pm

I was once told by an airport immigration agent (NON-EU citizen queue) that I could use the EU citizen queue with my stamp 4, even when traveling alone. The problem is that not every agent follows the same rule, and I've been told to go to the NON-EU queue even when travelling with my partner. To avoid any hassle I always go to the non -EU citizen queue and, to be fair, sometimes it's actually quicker.
That advice is not correct. The only non-EU persons who can use the EU lanes are those who exercise EU Treaty Rights and they must travel with their EU spouses.

Non-EU Stamp 4 holders who are spouse of Irish nationals can use the EU lane *at the discretion of border staff*.

My missus is non-EU and when we travel together I always get her in the EU lane. Much faster than the non-EU lane, especially during the summer and autumn when a lot of new non-EU students and workers come to Ireland for the first time. Most officers won’t mind her using it but we were indeed reminded by one or two officers occasionally that she shouldn’t use the EU lane in theory (but let her pass anyway).

jlad

Post by jlad » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:17 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:25 pm
O'Ramires wrote:

That advice is not correct. The only non-EU persons who can use the EU lanes are those who exercise EU Treaty Rights and they must travel with their EU spouses.

Non-EU Stamp 4 holders who are spouse of Irish nationals can use the EU lane *at the discretion of border staff*.

My missus is non-EU and when we travel together I always get her in the EU lane. Much faster than the non-EU lane, especially during the summer and autumn when a lot of new non-EU students and workers come to Ireland for the first time. Most officers won’t mind her using it but we were indeed reminded by one or two officers occasionally that she shouldn’t use the EU lane in theory (but let her pass anyway).

Funny enough i have travelled a few times after pandemic and mostly went through Non EU lane as i usually find them a lot quicker than EU (there's always exceptions). However there was one occasion when i was travelling alone where the family in front of me got hold up at the immigration counter (None EU lane) and i was waiting for more than 10 mins at that point so the counter next is a EU lane counter and the immigration officer waved at me and asked to clear me first as i was waiting for a long time. Said hi to her and passed her my passport/IRP and when she asked if i am married to Irish i said i am indeed and she said i should use the EU lane next time as it will be a lot quicker - only then i am aware i am allowed to use EU lane. Never really bothered to use EU lane with my irish partner too as i usually prefer non eu as it was quicker most times.

O'Ramires
Mood:
Brazil

Post by O'Ramires » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:52 pm

jlad wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:17 pm
littlerr wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:25 pm
O'Ramires wrote:

Funny enough i have travelled a few times after pandemic and mostly went through Non EU lane as i usually find them a lot quicker than EU (there's always exceptions). However there was one occasion when i was travelling alone where the family in front of me got hold up at the immigration counter (None EU lane) and i was waiting for more than 10 mins at that point so the counter next is a EU lane counter and the immigration officer waved at me and asked to clear me first as i was waiting for a long time. Said hi to her and passed her my passport/IRP and when she asked if i am married to Irish i said i am indeed and she said i should use the EU lane next time as it will be a lot quicker - only then i am aware i am allowed to use EU lane. Never really bothered to use EU lane with my irish partner too as i usually prefer non eu as it was quicker most times.
That's exactly what I was told as well.