ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leaving Ireland while Citizenship Application is in progress. What are the consequences, if any?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lukefolkstain
Newly Registered
Chile

Leaving Ireland while Citizenship Application is in progress. What are the consequences, if any?

Post by lukefolkstain » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:11 pm

Hello all,

I'm about to apply for my citizenship by naturalisation. However, I've got an offer to live abroad (USA), and given the current processing time (23 months), I would like to know if moving from Ireland during this time would affect my citizenship application. Has anyone been in this situation?

Thanks!

jesonnn
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Leaving Ireland while Citizenship Application is in progress. What are the consequences, if any?

Post by jesonnn » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:38 pm

lukefolkstain wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:11 pm
Hello all,

I'm about to apply for my citizenship by naturalisation. However, I've got an offer to live abroad (USA), and given the current processing time (23 months), I would like to know if moving from Ireland during this time would affect my citizenship application. Has anyone been in this situation?

Thanks!
First of all this is my guess only.
Actually you should inform ISD office if leaving the State for over 6 weeks, according the rule, once you inform, they may ask the reason, you will tell them and more likely they will revoke the application, one iof the statement according citizenship is living in the country and/or show your intentions to live, otherwise application on that stage (even citizenship itself) can be revoked (there is really a rare case, but who knows). Does it make sense to work for us and convince them you will move after getting citizenship? (again remember it can be revoked if you are not going to stay in Ireland)

lukefolkstain
Newly Registered
Chile

Re: Leaving Ireland while Citizenship Application is in progress. What are the consequences, if any?

Post by lukefolkstain » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:55 pm

jesonnn wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:38 pm
lukefolkstain wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks!
Actually you should inform ISD office if leaving the State for over 6 weeks, according the rule, once you inform, they may ask the reason, you will tell them and more likely they will revoke the application, one iof the statement according citizenship is living in the country and/or show your intentions to live, otherwise application on that stage (even citizenship itself) can be revoked (there is really a rare case, but who knows). Does it make sense to work for us and convince them you will move after getting citizenship? (again remember it can be revoked if you are not going to stay in Ireland)

Thank you a lot for your comment. It makes sense. Considering the waiting time and current delays, I don't believe ISD is reviewing all the notifications, and revoking applications. But anyway, it's about taking the risk. About the job, that's not an option unfortunately. I'm now trying to make a decision whether to move for a good raise and giving up the citizenship, or waiting :|

jesonnn
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jesonnn » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:55 pm

lukefolkstain wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:55 pm
jesonnn wrote:
lukefolkstain wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks!

Thank you a lot for your comment. It makes sense. Considering the waiting time and current delays, I don't believe ISD is reviewing all the notifications, and revoking applications. But anyway, it's about taking the risk. About the job, that's not an option unfortunately. I'm now trying to make a decision whether to move for a good raise and giving up the citizenship, or waiting :|
Let try to count:
1. When did you apply?
2. Does us job really so fantastic to move? You may not have a green card for a years, however with Irish passport even in US you will feel more freedom (I guess, never been there but read about)
3 you already can start work for us as contractor (they are paid really well 300-700 eur per day), that could be a good choice and say to us company like due to personal circumstances I will move in 18 months (say like some reasonable time, they might agree)
4 once get a passport, you don't need visa (well electronic one) to US and can start the process of movement
5 inform Irish embassy in USA about intention to be Irish citizen
6 profit win win, anyway the movement itself can take 12-18 months (my friend was waiting over 2.5 years and could move via Mexico), you can start the process depending on the application date, let say

I am not giving the right answer, you have to decide)

lukefolkstain
Newly Registered
Chile

Post by lukefolkstain » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:46 pm

jesonnn wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:55 pm
lukefolkstain wrote:
jesonnn wrote:
lukefolkstain wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks!

Let try to count:
1. When did you apply?
2. Does us job really so fantastic to move? You may not have a green card for a years, however with Irish passport even in US you will feel more freedom (I guess, never been there but read about)
3 you already can start work for us as contractor (they are paid really well 300-700 eur per day), that could be a good choice and say to us company like due to personal circumstances I will move in 18 months (say like some reasonable time, they might agree)
4 once get a passport, you don't need visa (well electronic one) to US and can start the process of movement
6 profit win win, anyway the movement itself can take 12-18 months (my friend was waiting over 2.5 years and could move via Mexico), you can start the process depending on the application date, let say

Yeah , good questions. I know it's a very personal decision, let's see:

1. I haven't applied yet, I can apply by end of next year. So I'm expecting around 3 years until the application is approved.
2. The job is very good (I know the company and the team well). The salary increase is about 70% (jumping from 100k/year to 170k/year pre tax). I do agree, the Irish Passport will give me a lot of freedom to also regret the decision and come back to Ireland. Having the EU citizenship was always my goal, so one day I could come back to relax and retire (I'm 27y now, but I think long term lol). I'm doing this math: stay and 'lose' 210k (70*3) considering i wouldn't get promoted in my current job - or move and lose my 'freedom'.
3. That's a good choice, I work with IT (infra engineer), that's something I can try, but it wasn't offered to me.
4/5/6. Nice comments, I'll take it in consideration!

So in summary: I think it's not worth giving up the citizenship after being here so long. Will try everything to keep my residency here while working abroad.

jesonnn
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jesonnn » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:10 pm

lukefolkstain wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:46 pm
jesonnn wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:55 pm
lukefolkstain wrote:
jesonnn wrote:
lukefolkstain wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks!

Let try to count:
1. When did you apply?

Yeah , good questions. I know it's a very personal decision, let's see:

1. I haven't applied yet, I can apply by end of next year. So I'm expecting around 3 years until the application is approved.
2. The job is very good (I know the company and the team well). The salary increase is about 70% (jumping from 100k/year to 170k/year pre tax). I do agree, the Irish Passport will give me a lot of freedom to also regret the decision and come back to Ireland. Having the EU citizenship was always my goal, so one day I could come back to relax and retire (I'm 27y now, but I think long term lol). I'm doing this math: stay and 'lose' 210k (70*3) considering i wouldn't get promoted in my current job - or move and lose my 'freedom'.
3. That's a good choice, I work with IT (infra engineer), that's something I can try, but it wasn't offered to me.
4/5/6. Nice comments, I'll take it in consideration!

So in summary: I think it's not worth giving up the citizenship after being here so long. Will try everything to keep my residency here while working abroad.
Ooh, dude, I thought you have applied, I did Oct 2021 and have nothing so far except reference number and it is over 9 months, if you need to apply only end of next year then go for it (lol, I am joking, still you have to choose)
It is longs term you may wait 1.5 years + 2 years (now, how it goes next no one knows) so it is long journey for you, even know, they might change the process and make it faster (I do not believe personally), think about, eu passport not bad too, and those money you may ear in US will be spending to support yourself (here is hard to say, I heard prices in US are lower and salaries bigger) but will you be us citizen?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:02 am

maybe have a chat with the team about ways to make your job remote?
or just go for it, the choice is yours
Irish passport is good, but your current passport allows you to move around Europe as a tourist at least
citizenship process takes 1.5 - 2 years indeed and they might ask you for your passport (chance is small, but it exists), plus if your return address is abroad that'll raise questions
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.