ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR (M) - Application questions?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

777GE90

FLR (M) - Application questions?

Post by 777GE90 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:00 pm

Hello, I'm just looking at the application form for FLR (M) and was wondering if someone can help clarify some of the questions for me.

My wife entered the UK as my spouse, she was given Leave to Enter for the usual 2 years 9 months and now we are looking to extend it.

Here are the questions I am unsure about:

1. If you legally changed your name, when did you do this (if applicable)?

When giving details of other names, we provide details of my wifes name before marriage. She changed her name when she renewed her ID card, but we don't have the exact date this happened, aside from the ID card issuing date. Do we just put down the ID card issuing date?

2.. Why have you been known by another name?
- Marriage or civil partnership
- Divorce
- Other

This question is a little confusing, as she was known by this previous name before marriage. So I assume the answer is "Marriage or civil partnership" but the way the question is phrased, I am also thinknig I could put "Other" and say "this was her my original name before marriage". Maybe I'm over thinking it.

3. What is the start date of your current visa or leave to remain?

So the BRP shows a date of issue as 5 May and the letter she got says her permission is valid from 12 May, do we put down 5 May or 12 May?

4. What UK visa, entry clearance or grant of leave do you have?

There are so many different names, it's confusing what to put here. Do I just put all of the names of it, for example I was thinking of putting this in the field "Leave to Enter – PARTNER (STANDARD) – Spouse Visa"

5. Your current permission to be in the UK
- Visit
- Work
- Study
- Family
- Status under the EU Settlement Scheme
- Settlement
- Other

I'm quite confused with this one, as she is on her first partner visa. Does that count as "Family", or do we put "Settlement" as she is on a 5 year route to settlement? Or do we put "Other" and write something there?

6. On what basis did you apply for your current visa, leave to enter or remain or other permission?

- As the partner of a British citizen, settled person or person with pre-settled status under the EUSS; a person with refugee leave or humanitarian protection in the UK, or a person with leave as a Turkish ECAA worker or business person
- As the child of a British citizen, settled person or person with pre-settled status under the EUSS; a person with refugee leave or humanitarian protection in the UK, or a person with leave as a Turkish ECAA worker or business person
- As the parent of a British citizen or settled child, or child with pre-settled status under the EUSS who is under 18, or who was under 18 when you were initially granted leave in this category and is not living an independent life
- As an adult coming to the UK to be cared for by a relative who is a British citizen, settled person or a person with refugee leave or humanitarian protection in the UK
- Private life in the UK
- Leave outside the Immigration Rules, including on the basis of compelling or compassionate circumstances or an Article 8 claim
- Medical grounds or ill health
- Discretionary leave
- None of the above, or I'm not sure

So for this one, I am pretty sure it is "as the partner ofa british citizen", but wanted to make sure.

7. What family or friends do you have in the country where you were born and/or any other country whose nationality you hold?

Strange question, not sure how detailed of a response to give, other than to mention her family lives there and she has some friends there too? Do we need to name individuals or would something like this suffice "My mother and some of my siblings live in the country I was born, I also have several friends that live there, that I know from school and as my old neighbours".

8. Are there any factors which would make it difficult or impossible for you to integrate and establish a private life in that country?

- CHECKBOX Evidence to support my claim it would be difficult or impossible to integrate and establish a private life outside the UK

So with this one, I would mention facts such as:
- Has a baby born in the UK.
- Her sisters live here in the UK.
- I (the husband) would not be willing to move to her country of birth, would be too difficult for me to integrate there as I wouldn't be able to get a like for like job, or even simple things like not having access to vegetarian food. She can't live there without me.

Not sure if these are valid excuses, but the part that really confuses me is how on earth I can give evidence for any of these reasons. Do I tick that checkbox? If yes, what evidence do I give?

9. Do you have any Home Office reference numbers? (If you have previously made an application to remain in the UK, you can find a reference number on letters from the Home Office, called 'Our Ref' or 'Case ID'. If not known, select 'No'.)

For this question, the only reference number I can recall is the one on her original letter granting her access. But what confuses me is it mentions "made an application to remain" - which she did not, her application was to enter. So do I provide this reference number or not? I guess I am overthinking again, no harm in providing it right?

10. Final question, we have a baby together born in the UK. I understand the baby is British automatically in this circumstance. Do we need to add the baby as an applicant or not?

777GE90

Re: FLR (M) - Application questions?

Post by 777GE90 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:50 pm

11. Have you previously lived in a country outside the UK including your country of birth?

Does this question include countries we have been to on holiday? As we already mention those countries in the previous section?

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:26 am

777GE90 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:00 pm
Hello, I'm just looking at the application form for FLR (M) and was wondering if someone can help clarify some of the questions for me.

My wife entered the UK as my spouse, she was given Leave to Enter for the usual 2 years 9 months and now we are looking to extend it.

Here are the questions I am unsure about:

1. If you legally changed your name, when did you do this (if applicable)?

When giving details of other names, we provide details of my wifes name before marriage. She changed her name when she renewed her ID card, but we don't have the exact date this happened, aside from the ID card issuing date. Do we just put down the ID card issuing date?Go with the closest date you know. It doesn't have to be perfect.

2.. Why have you been known by another name?
- Marriage or civil partnership
- Divorce
- Other

This question is a little confusing, as she was known by this previous name before marriage. So I assume the answer is "Marriage or civil partnership" but the way the question is phrased, I am also thinknig I could put "Other" and say "this was her my original name before marriage". Maybe I'm over thinking it.Stick with the basics. Marriage!

3. What is the start date of your current visa or leave to remain?

So the BRP shows a date of issue as 5 May and the letter she got says her permission is valid from 12 May, do we put down 5 May or 12 May? It would be the initial entry clearance. This usually predates the BRP.

4. What UK visa, entry clearance or grant of leave do you have?

There are so many different names, it's confusing what to put here. Do I just put all of the names of it, for example I was thinking of putting this in the field "Leave to Enter – PARTNER (STANDARD) – Spouse Visa" If you write all that, they'll know what it is. But Spouse is the answer, as that is clearly written on your Entry Visa and BRP.

5. Your current permission to be in the UK
- Visit
- Work
- Study
- Family
- Status under the EU Settlement Scheme
- Settlement This
- Other

I'm quite confused with this one, as she is on her first partner visa. Does that count as "Family", or do we put "Settlement" as she is on a 5 year route to settlement? Or do we put "Other" and write something there?

6. On what basis did you apply for your current visa, leave to enter or remain or other permission?

- As the partner of a British citizen, settled person or person with pre-settled status under the EUSS; a person with refugee leave or humanitarian protection in the UK, or a person with leave as a Turkish ECAA worker or business person
- As the child of a British citizen, settled person or person with pre-settled status under the EUSS; a person with refugee leave or humanitarian protection in the UK, or a person with leave as a Turkish ECAA worker or business person
- As the parent of a British citizen or settled child, or child with pre-settled status under the EUSS who is under 18, or who was under 18 when you were initially granted leave in this category and is not living an independent life
- As an adult coming to the UK to be cared for by a relative who is a British citizen, settled person or a person with refugee leave or humanitarian protection in the UK
- Private life in the UK
- Leave outside the Immigration Rules, including on the basis of compelling or compassionate circumstances or an Article 8 claim
- Medical grounds or ill health
- Discretionary leave
- None of the above, or I'm not sure

So for this one, I am pretty sure it is "as the partner ofa british citizen", but wanted to make sure. You're getting there. :lol:

7. What family or friends do you have in the country where you were born and/or any other country whose nationality you hold?

Strange question, not sure how detailed of a response to give, other than to mention her family lives there and she has some friends there too? Do we need to name individuals or would something like this suffice "My mother and some of my siblings live in the country I was born, I also have several friends that live there, that I know from school and as my old neighbours". Some questions always feel invasive. It would be nice for her to add her immediate family only. She might later need to send an invite for one of them. It has no bearing on the FLR visa issuance.

8. Are there any factors which would make it difficult or impossible for you to integrate and establish a private life in that country?

- CHECKBOX Evidence to support my claim it would be difficult or impossible to integrate and establish a private life outside the UK

So with this one, I would mention facts such as:
- Has a baby born in the UK.
- Her sisters live here in the UK.
- I (the husband) would not be willing to move to her country of birth, would be too difficult for me to integrate there as I wouldn't be able to get a like for like job, or even simple things like not having access to vegetarian food. She can't live there without me.

Not sure if these are valid excuses, but the part that really confuses me is how on earth I can give evidence for any of these reasons. Do I tick that checkbox? If yes, what evidence do I give? Still getting there. Put all that.

9. Do you have any Home Office reference numbers? (If you have previously made an application to remain in the UK, you can find a reference number on letters from the Home Office, called 'Our Ref' or 'Case ID'. If not known, select 'No'.)

For this question, the only reference number I can recall is the one on her original letter granting her access. But what confuses me is it mentions "made an application to remain" - which she did not, her application was to enter. So do I provide this reference number or not? I guess I am overthinking again, no harm in providing it right? That's the one. This form isn't bespoke to you, multiple scenarios are covered on it. You deal with yours and move on.

10. Final question, we have a baby together born in the UK. I understand the baby is British automatically in this circumstance. Do we need to add the baby as an applicant or not? Not! Like you rightly said, the baby isn't applying (applicant) for anything.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:14 am

777GE90 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:50 pm
11. Have you previously lived in a country outside the UK including your country of birth?

Does this question include countries we have been to on holiday? As we already mention those countries in the previous section?
The question is specific, it asks about 'lived in' and good you identified that you already addressed those countries you visited.

777GE90

Post by 777GE90 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:06 pm

Great, thank you both, very helpful.