ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for No recourse to public funds to be lifted

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Kent22
Newly Registered
Tanzania

Application for No recourse to public funds to be lifted

Post by Kent22 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:54 pm

Hello everyone.

I have been living in this country over 20 years. Last year I made an application for the visa extension due to long residence (FLRfp) and I'm still waiting, almost a year now.

Unfortunately, months ago I had to quit my job due to some problems at work. Immediately I have applied for another jobs and I had two offers. I have requested them to do ECS check which later they agreed but it has been a while without any response from the HO.

In the mean time, all my savings have finished. My rent is in arrears and I'm supposed to vacant the house this month. I will have live in the street and depend on food banks.

My local MP has already written to the HO but no response yet.
All these have impact on my mental health. I'm taking medications for it.

I have applied for the universal credit last week and still in the process but it might take longer time as they have to check with the HO. However, someone brought to my attention this week about 'no recourse to public funds' which I had to go through my files and find out, the last extension ' no public funds' contrary to application before that. They advised to apply to the HO to remove it.

Here is my questions:
1) Is it okay to apply ' no public funds' to be removed while the visa extension application is still with HO?
2) And application 'no public funds' to be lifted. It will have a negative impact on my extension application decision?
3) Being destitute and currently having mental issue. Also, It will have a negative impact on the extension decision as I have to mention it when I'm applying for this one to be lifted?
4) I have been working here over 20 years. My first visa was DL with public funds, 2nd application they stopped it. Can I qualified for public funds due to long residence?
5) Universal Credit is trying to check with the home office if I'm qualified. HO will use this against me?
6) What is the best way to make this application?
7)I have checked online and I have found this form below. But it seems very long like make another FLRfp application. Is right one and do I have to pay for it as I don't have money?

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... 1659359815

CStone
Newly Registered

Re: Application for No recourse to public funds to be lifted

Post by CStone » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:02 am

It has been done before and all is case dependent and other matters should not really impact the application.

It might also be a good idea to mention this in any future applications in advance in short it doesn't hurt to ask. Ask them to take into account current situation eg Covid in case you need something to fall back on etc.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:47 am

Kent22 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:54 pm
In the mean time, all my savings have finished. My rent is in arrears and I'm supposed to vacant the house this month. I will have live in the street and depend on food banks.
Paying for your housing (rent or mortgage) is one of the priority debts.
https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/de ... first.aspx

Can you talk to the landlord about your situation, ask to stay and sort out how you will pay them your rent arrears when you get a job?

Even people on Universal Credit ask for referrals to food banks and it is unlikely that UC will cover all your monthly rent.

Do you qualify for New Stle JSA? That is a contribution based benefit and therefore is not a public fund. You might get a sanction as you gave up your job.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-j ... -allowance

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:53 am

Kent22
Newly Registered
Tanzania

Post by Kent22 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:30 pm

CStone wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:02 am
It has been done before and all is case dependent and other matters should not really impact the application.

It might also be a good idea to mention this in any future applications in advance in short it doesn't hurt to ask. Ask them to take into account current situation eg Covid in case you need something to fall back on etc.
@CStone.

Thank for your input. It mean a lot to me.

Some just informed that I can not apply for the 'no public funds' to be removed while the application for the visa extension has not be decided. I don't what to give the HO a reason to refuse my visa... I'm bit confused at the moment.

But, with my predicament it seems like I don't a choice! This has real impact on my health.

Kent22
Newly Registered
Tanzania

Post by Kent22 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:48 pm

JB007 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:47 am
Kent22 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:54 pm
Paying for your housing (rent or mortgage) is one of the priority debts.
https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/de ... first.aspx

Can you talk to the landlord about your situation, ask to stay and sort out how you will pay them your rent arrears when you get a job?

Even people on Universal Credit ask for referrals to food banks and it is unlikely that UC will cover all your monthly rent.

Do you qualify for New Stle JSA? That is a contribution based benefit and therefore is not a public fund. You might get a sanction as you gave up your job.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-j ... -allowance
@JB007,

Thank you a lot for your contribution...mean massively to me. Also thank you for the links
I started to look for another employment before quitting my previous job. But it seems majority of employers are not familiar or keen with the ECS check. This has massive impact for delaying the recruitment process.

The landlord was not happy since day one. He said, it is affecting his mortgage repayments and he has already sent to me the snapshot of his mortgage arrear. It seems the end of this month, I have to be in the street for the sake of my mental health.

I will look into the style JSA!

Kent22
Newly Registered
Tanzania

Post by Kent22 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:50 pm

Thank you

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:16 pm

Kent22 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:48 pm

The landlord was not happy since day one. He said, it is affecting his mortgage repayments and he has already sent to me the snapshot of his mortgage arrear. It seems the end of this month, I have to be in the street for the sake of my mental health.

It must be very stressful.

If he lets you stay and you can work out a repayment plan for when you get work, that money will help towards his mortgage arrears.

Does your landlord live in the same house as you?

Have you got a tenancy agreement? If you have got a tenancy agreement, did the landlord serve you a notice? Was the notice a Section 21 or Section 8? They are only a notice to quit and it has to be valid and with a tenancy agreement, I think that only a court can tell you to leave and what date you have to leave by.

I'm assuming you are in England as Scotland ended the S21.
This is a flowchart to see if a section 21 is legal (if that is what you were served)
https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/

Shelter knows the laws about what is legal with evictions. Have you spoken to them? Be aware that they likely don't know about having no recourse to public funds.

Have you asked in your local library to see if they know of any organisations that will help with temporary housing? Or your local Citizens Advice?

Kent22
Newly Registered
Tanzania

Post by Kent22 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:04 pm

JB007 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:16 pm
Kent22 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:48 pm

It must be very stressful.

If he lets you stay and you can work out a repayment plan for when you get work, that money will help towards his mortgage arrears.

Does your landlord live in the same house as you?

Have you got a tenancy agreement? If you have got a tenancy agreement, did the landlord serve you a notice? Was the notice a Section 21 or Section 8? They are only a notice to quit and it has to be valid and with a tenancy agreement, I think that only a court can tell you to leave and what date you have to leave by.

I'm assuming you are in England as Scotland ended the S21.
This is a flowchart to see if a section 21 is legal (if that is what you were served)
https://nearlylegal.co.uk/section-21-flowchart/

Shelter knows the laws about what is legal with evictions. Have you spoken to them? Be aware that they likely don't know about having no recourse to public funds.

Have you asked in your local library to see if they know of any organisations that will help with temporary housing? Or your local Citizens Advice?
@JB007
Thank you for your response.

I have a tenancy agreement and the Landlord doesn't live in the same property. But the pressure is too much and I don't want to force myself to stay as it is affecting more my mental health than living in the street I guess.

I'm in the UK.

I have already contacted a Citizens advice, Shelter, my local council but nothing much they could do; I should contact my MP again and HO to speed the decision.