ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What details do you provide to prospective employers?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

pyke

What details do you provide to prospective employers?

Post by pyke » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:44 pm

To those who have successfully applied for and secured jobs, I'd like some advice.

When applying for jobs, should I mention my visa status, nationality, gender, age and dates of previous employment?

Apparently, under anti-discriminatory regulations job applicants are not required to reveal their gender and age. Some companies also mention that applicants are not required to provide dates of previous employment.

I'm wondering if providing these details will invite discrimination or will it help my application by addressing the concerns they will inevitably have? From my work experience they will be able to deduce that I'm not from the UK.

What approach did you take when applying for jobs? How much detail is required and at which stage of the job application process? Any advice will be appreciated!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:26 pm

What country are you from?
No matter what at some point the employer has to check you have the legal right to work in the UK, so they are going to need documentation that proves who you are, by default that will give your age and gender.
You can not really escape those issues.

bani

Post by bani » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:39 pm

I don't provide age (but can be guessed from my date of uni graduation) or marital status. Gender can easily be guessed from my first name. I do place the dates and places where I worked before (but if they specify that the dates are unecessary, I would remove them). I put my nationality and add this line "UK Visa Status: Tier 1/Highly Skilled Migrant (no work permit required)".

Emphasize your skills and what projects you worked on for every company you list. I think a good cover letter is also important.

Good luck.

misha06
Newly Registered

Post by misha06 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:42 pm

When my OH started applying for jobs, we knocked up a full CV for her in the same manner as mine. a google search will give loads of sites with advice on layout etc.

She detailed her marital status, etc and qualifications, work experience back in Russia, she's on her third job now, having moved for better pay, and has never had any problems.

Her first employer was not fully up to speed on the validity of an FLR visa for allowing employment but the HR dept made a call to the employment office and all was well (covering their backs I guess)

The biggest problem we encountered was a lazy employer putting her on BR1 tax code, but a couple of calls to the tax office sorted that.

Good luck job hunting.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 am

It depends what country you are from, and what is considered legal/not legal to ask. On the Official EU CV layout, it asks for your marital status...that, for me (from the UK), is very bizarre and non of their business, so I leave it out.

I also leave out things that does not relate to employment/being able to do the job: age, gender (although my name is a dead giveaway), marital history, race - although the Equal Opportunities form asks for such information!

You cannot escape nationality/immigration status, however; it must be mentioned at some point.

Some employers ask for a photo....why!?