ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel to Portugal as first point of entry while visa was granted by Italy

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

smah

Travel to Portugal as first point of entry while visa was granted by Italy

Post by smah » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:22 pm

Hi Guys,
We planned to travel to Italy on the 11th and got the visa from the Italian embassy. But now due to family member having corona we have to change travel plan where we would like to travel to family in Portugal first and then go to Italy.
Would that be okay?

FYI my husband have in his visa start date: 11th August. Valid till 4th November and next to it Duration of stay: 10 days. Entry :1
Not sure if that's normal and if this would effect anything.

Will much appreciate any feedback.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Travel to Portugal as first point of entry while visa was granted by Italy

Post by meself2 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:11 pm

you can do that if you'll spend more time in Italy
https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/polic ... en-visa_en
You must lodge the application for a Schengen visa at the Consulate of the country that you intend to visit, or – if you intend to visit more than one Schengen State, the Consulate of the country where you will spend the longest period.
you can go to Italy regardless, but you could get in a situation where next time you'll be asked about it, eg why did you deviate from your travel plan.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:25 am

smah wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:22 pm
Hi Guys,
We planned to travel to Italy on the 11th and got the visa from the Italian embassy. But now due to family member having corona we have to change travel plan where we would like to travel to family in Portugal first and then go to Italy.
Would that be okay?

FYI my husband have in his visa start date: 11th August. Valid till 4th November and next to it Duration of stay: 10 days. Entry :1

Schengen visas are the craziest visas. They can issue it for 1 day or 3 days. Depending on when you intend to travel, it could follow this sequence.
Issue date (obvious I guess)
Valid date (This would be the day you've told them you plan to travel). You can't use it before this date.
Regardless of the length of the visa, you've been given single entry. Once you come out, you can't go back.
Also, you've been given just 10 days. It could have repercussions for future visas if you spend more than that time in the Schengen area.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

smah

Post by smah » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:07 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:25 am
smah wrote:
Hi Guys,
Would that be okay?

Schengen visas are the craziest visas. They can issue it for 1 day or 3 days. Depending on when you intend to travel, it could follow this sequence.
Valid date (This would be the day you've told them you plan to travel). You can't use it before this date.
Regardless of the length of the visa, you've been given single entry. Once you come out, you can't go back.
Also, you've been given just 10 days. It could have repercussions for future visas if you spend more than that time in the Schengen area.
Hi Ticktack,
Thanks for your response.
What about the entry situation? For me going to Italy is pointless so I want to go Portugal!

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:18 pm

smah wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:07 pm
Ticktack wrote:
smah wrote:
Hi Guys,
Would that be okay?

Hi Ticktack,
What about the entry situation? For me going to Italy is pointless so I want to go Portugal!
You can enter through Portugal, it is valid for all of Schengen. Next time you want to apply for a Schengen visa to go to Italy, the Italian Embassy may not be happy about this, though. We had reports by forum members aboutsubsequent problems when the issuing country of the previous visa was not also the point of entry.

Will Italy still be your main destination?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:15 am

smah wrote:
Ticktack wrote:
smah wrote:
Hi Guys,
Would that be okay?

Hi Ticktack,
If Italy is now pointless and has been taken off the list, you're better off calling the Portuguese embassy/consulate and asking if this would be allowed.
If not, you might want to consider getting a visa from the correct (Portugal) embassy.
Better safe than sorry!
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

smah

Post by smah » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:04 pm

ALKB wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:18 pm
smah wrote:
Ticktack wrote:
smah wrote:
Hi Guys,
Would that be okay?

Hi Ticktack,
You can enter through Portugal, it is valid for all of Schengen. Next time you want to apply for a Schengen visa to go to Italy, the Italian Embassy may not be happy about this, though. We had reports by forum members aboutsubsequent problems when the issuing country of the previous visa was not also the point of entry.

Thanks for the insight. Yes Italy is as I wanted to visit my uncle there but as he is unwell with Covid and my visa states Duration 10 days not sure if I will be able to wait till he gets better! What do you think Guys??

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:31 pm

smah wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:04 pm
ALKB wrote:
smah wrote:
Ticktack wrote:
smah wrote:
Hi Guys,
Would that be okay?

Hi Ticktack,

Thanks for the insight. Yes Italy is as I wanted to visit my uncle there but as he is unwell with Covid and my visa states Duration 10 days not sure if I will be able to wait till he gets better! What do you think Guys??
Your husband can enter the Schengen zone one time for up to 10 days between 11th August and 4th November.

Personally, I would stick with the Italy plan and postpone the visit until your uncle is better, you´ve got a time window of nearly three months, after all. Or get a last minute holiday let/hotel if you have already booked flights.

It´s up to you, of course.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

smah

Post by smah » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:54 pm

ALKB wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:31 pm
smah wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:04 pm
ALKB wrote:
smah wrote:
Ticktack wrote:
smah wrote:
Hi Guys,
Would that be okay?

Hi Ticktack,

Your husband can enter the Schengen zone one time for up to 10 days between 11th August and 4th November.

Personally, I would stick with the Italy plan and postpone the visit until your uncle is better, you´ve got a time window of nearly three months, after all. Or get a last minute holiday let/hotel if you have already booked flights.

It´s up to you, of course.
Thanks for the insight.
Sorry to correct myself not sure how I wrote visa till 4th November! It's actually 4th September so 3 weeks. So really struggling to think what to do as the rest of uncles family are also following after him!!

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:08 am

smah wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:54 pm
Thanks for the insight.
Sorry to correct myself not sure how I wrote visa till 4th November! It's actually 4th September so 3 weeks. So really struggling to think what to do as the rest of uncles family are also following after him!!
Have a nice holiday minus the family visit?