ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

forney-again
BANNED
Bangladesh

Re: Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Post by forney-again » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:40 pm

If you get a refusal letter, and you appeal to the First Tier Tribunal, the judge will probably want to know
  • What date your leave to remain under Appendix FM began?
  • What date your Zambrano status began?
  • What date your child was born?
  • Your immigration status at the time your child was born?
If you say your Zambrano status began after your leave to remain under Appendix FM, you may want to just continue under Appendix FM. You can also look at what the Court of Appeal said. They say you are not a Zambrano carer. You may want to fight your case anyway. But you should know what the Court of Appeal said.

If you Zambrano status started BEFORE your ltr under Appendix FM, did you have a Zambrano residence card? Did you apply for a card based on Zambrano?

If you did not actually apply for a Zambrano card, that is not the end of the world. Under EU law, you do not technically have to apply for a card in order to be a Zambrano carer. But, the judge may ask you why you did not take any action. And the Home Office may try to argue you were not a Zambrano carer.

arsi006WQRPG472
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by arsi006WQRPG472 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:44 pm

Leave was granted 19 feb 2020
Child was 22 fev 2020
3 days difference that’s called bad luck init

forney-again
BANNED
Bangladesh

Post by forney-again » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:54 pm

arsi006WQRPG472 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:44 pm
Leave was granted 19 feb 2020
Child was 22 fev 2020
3 days difference that’s called bad luck init
Your story is interesting if not confusing. It takes time to be granted leave. It takes time to give birth.

Presumably you knew you were making an application for leave to remain months before. Presumably, you knew you were about to have a child.

forney-again
BANNED
Bangladesh

Post by forney-again » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:56 pm

There is nothing inherently wrong with having leave to remain under Appendix FM.

After 5 or 10 years, you get permanent residence - just under the UK rules. Then, you can apply for a British passport.

All roads lead to a British passport, anyway.

If you are on the 10 year route, you can apply to be moved to the 5 year route.

If someone applies for leave to remain under Appendix FM in 2020, they could, in theory, get permanent residence in 2025 and a British passport a short time later.

arsi006WQRPG472
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by arsi006WQRPG472 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:03 pm

Can I apply to be moved on 5 year route ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:08 pm

forney-again wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:56 pm
and a British passport a short time later.
Please do not give out incorrect information. It is not as simple or quick as this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

forney-again
BANNED
Bangladesh

Post by forney-again » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:10 pm

arsi006WQRPG472 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:03 pm
Can I apply to be moved on 5 year route ?
You can always apply. You should really talk to a lawyer.

forney-again
BANNED
Bangladesh

Post by forney-again » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:12 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:08 pm
forney-again wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:56 pm
and a British passport a short time later.
Please do not give out incorrect information. It is not as simple or quick as this.
I have asked for this account to be closed a couple of times now. It is still open. It would be great if you could close the account.

I have said you can apply for a British passport. I have said some people will be successful. That is true. I know people who have done it. For some people, these things can be simple or quick. For others, not.

For some Zambrano carers, they received settlement quickly and easily. For other Zambrano carers, they have been waiting for years.

Everyone's path is unique.

Again, it would be great if this account could be closed.

Nyamebeye

Post by Nyamebeye » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:10 pm

@forney-again
Why would you want your account closed when you are dedicating much of your time and effort to help here just because someone shared their opinion on one of your posts?
To be doing what you are doing takes a lot of your precious time reading, researching and posting. This shows you care.
Snooky, Lagosboss and others all do the same and gracefully accept when others correct/advice and or challenge any information posted here.

Previously you were posting a lot of heavy direct information from websites which people were finding it hard to read and understand themselves. This was commented on and your response was tht you wanted your account closed.
Thankfully the account remained active and you started posting again some brilliant information but with good analysis this time. These make sense to most here and people appreciate that.
My advise is that if your heart directs you to help others, you will come across barriers in doing so, so be prepared and don't just give up. If you want to leave, you can close the account yourself and leave quietly. But I feel you wouldn't want to leave.
The moderators are here to do their job. Let's allow them please. Thank you in advance.

Whyworry
Nigeria

Post by Whyworry » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:53 pm

Whyworry wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:39 am
Dear All,

i have received a decision regarding my application this morning ,unfortunately my application has been refused.

Please let me what you guys think i should as i will not give off easily.

EU Settlement Scheme
PO Box 2075
Liverpool

L69 3PG
Tel 0300 123 7379
Web www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families

Application Reference

Date 03 August 2022

Dear xxx

Thank you for your application under the EU Settlement Scheme as a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’.

Your application has been carefully considered but from the information and evidence provided or otherwise available you do not meet the requirements of the scheme. I am sorry to inform you that your application has therefore been refused.

The remainder of this letter details the reasons your application has been refused, what you can do next and the help available from us.

Reasons why your application has been refused

We have considered whether you meet the requirements for settled status (also known as indefinite leave to enter or remain) or pre-settled status (also known as limited leave to enter or remain) under the EU Settlement Scheme. Unfortunately, based on the information and evidence provided or otherwise available, and for the reasons set out in this letter, you do not meet the requirements.

In making this decision, we have complied with our duty under section 55 of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 to have regard to the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of any children who may be affected by the decision, namely xxxx, xxxx, xxxx. Although this duty cannot on its own satisfy the eligibility requirements of the EU Settlement Scheme for a person with a Zambrano right to reside, the children’s best interests have been a primary consideration in assessing your application.
To qualify under the scheme, you need to meet the requirements that are set out in Appendix EU to the Immigration Rules. You can find out more about the requirements here www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-f ... ligibility.

You have applied under the scheme as a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’ (as defined in Annex 1 to Appendix EU) on the basis that you are the primary carer of a British citizen. There are three key elements which must be met:

you must meet the requirements of that definition throughout the continuous qualifying period in the UK in which you rely on being or having been a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’. Broadly, the requirements are that the person meets the relevant conditions of regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (‘the EEA Regulations’) and does not hold leave to remain (unless this was granted under the EU Settlement Scheme); and

that continuous qualifying period in the UK as a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’ must have begun before the specified date (2300 GMT on 31 December 2020), unless you fall within sub-paragraph (b) or (c) of the definition of a ‘relevant EEA family permit case’ in Annex 1 to
Appendix EU; and

you must meet one of the following, either:

your continuous qualifying period in the UK as a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’ must be continuing at the date of your application to the scheme; or

your continuous qualifying period in the UK as a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’ must have been continuing at the specified date and ended when you completed a five-year continuous qualifying period in the UK as such a person (and by the date of your application to the scheme there has been no supervening event); or

at the date of your application to the scheme, you must be a ‘person who had a derivative or Zambrano right to reside’, meaning you were a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’ immediately before you met another qualifying category (such as the family member of a relevant EEA citizen) and have since remained in that or another qualifying category through to the date of your application to the scheme.

Your application has been refused because you do not satisfy paragraph 1, above. You have claimed to have a continuous qualifying period in the UK, during which you met the definition of a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’, between 23 November 2015 and 23 June 2021. However, you did not meet the definition throughout this period.

The reason for this is that, during the period set out above, you did not satisfy paragraph (b) of the definition of a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’ as, for the purposes of a continuous qualifying period in the UK as a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’, an applicant cannot rely on any period in which they held non-Appendix EU leave. Our records show that you were granted leave to enter or remain in the UK on 12 February 2021 valid until 01 September 2023, under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. Our records also show that you were granted leave to enter or remain in the UK on 14 April 2018 valid until 14 October 2020, under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules.

As this means your application as a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’ cannot succeed, we have not considered the rest of the eligibility requirements for this category of the EU Settlement Scheme.
It is considered that the information available does not show that you meet the eligibility requirements for settled status set out in rule EU11 or for pre-settled status set out in rule EU14 of Appendix EU to the Immigration Rules. This is for the reasons explained above.

We have also considered whether you meet any of the other eligibility requirements under Appendix EU, set out in rule EU11, EU12 and EU14. However, from the information and evidence provided, or otherwise available, you do not meet any of the other eligibility requirements and your application has, therefore, been refused under rule EU6 of that Appendix.
We enclose the following documents that were submitted in support of your application:

Supporting documents
Next steps

You can apply for an administrative review if you think the decision maker made an error or did not follow the published guidance, or where you have new information or evidence in support of your application.

You have 28 calendar days from the date on which you receive this decision to apply for an administrative review.

Information on how to apply for an administrative review, the process and the fees payable are all available online at: www.gov.uk/guidance/eu-settlementscheme ... ive-review.

The administrative review application form is available online at: www.visasimmigration.service.gov.uk/pro ... min-review.

You can also appeal this decision to the First-tier Tribunal under the Immigration (Citizens' Rights Appeals) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020.

If you are in the UK on the date of this decision you have 14 calendar days after the date this letter is sent to appeal. If you are outside the UK on the date of this decision you have 28 calendar days from the date you receive this letter to appeal.

Information on how to appeal

You can appeal on the basis that the decision is not in accordance with the EU Settlement Scheme rules. You may bring or continue an appeal from inside or outside the UK.

Information and support on how to appeal, the process, and the fees payable are all available online at www.gov.uk/immigration-asylum-tribunal/overview.

You can get help and advice from:

a solicitor. More information is available at www.gov.uk/find-a-legaladviser
an immigration adviser. More information is available at www.gov.uk/findan-immigration-adviser;
Citizens Advice. More information is available at:
www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm.

If you are not getting help from a legal representative you can read the guide on representing yourself at www.gov.uk/guidance/unrepresented-appel ... m-tribunal.

If you do not appeal now and do apply for an administrative review you will be able to appeal later if your administrative review is unsuccessful. Your administrative review decision will give you further details on how to appeal.

If you apply for an administrative review and do not appeal now you can continue to rely on your Certificate of Application as evidence of your residence rights until either:

the time limit for appealing after you receive your administrative review decision has passed; or
if you appeal following the administrative review decision, until the appeal is finally determined.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss this letter, you can call the EU Settlement Resolution Centre anytime from Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays), 8am to 8pm Saturday and Sunday, 9:30am to 4:30pm.
Opening hours during bank holidays can be found on gov.uk: www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside-outside- ... led-status.

Calling from inside the UK: 0300 123 7379.

Calling from outside the UK: +44 203 080 0010.

Further details on contacting us can be found on our website: www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside-outside-uk/y.

Yours sincerely,

EU Settlement Scheme
On behalf of the Secretary of State

Data protection

The UK GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 governs how we use personal data.

For details of how we will use your personal information and who we may share it with please see our Privacy Notice for the Border, Immigration and Citizenship system at www.gov.uk/government/publications/pers ... itizenship

This also explains your key rights under the UK GDPR and the Act, how you can access your personal information and how to complain if you have concerns.

Further information

For further information or if you have any queries, our contact details are on our website: eu-settled-status-enquiries.service.gov.uk/start.

Dear All,

Kindly please guide me through to complete my appeal but before then I would also need you to confirm If I am on the right path .

(1) I completed separate application form for joint carer when ( myself and I) although both application was refused same day but now I was just thinking maybe it we should have completed only one form since I have clicked joint carer in the application, although we sent our application together and relied on one registration certificate Is that correct please?

2) If above is correct did I need to complete 2 appeals for each of us or just one appeal form?

3) Please did I need to add any documentary evidence if I am completing online appeal? If yes
What should it be please?

4) A child ( British citizen) living with us as a private foster ( family arrangement ) lost both parents, we haven’t declared this in our application on June 25th 2021? Could this also helps our appeal? Only mentioned him as a relative in uk

4) As a joint career our eldest Child registered as a BC 23/11/2005 . Others 2007 and 2011

5) Which one is bundle or skeleton argument ?

Please everything is confusing my head since past few days the more I read the previous messages more I am confused please I am running at off time to submit my appeal please help

Nyamebeye

Post by Nyamebeye » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:42 am

1) I completed separate application form for joint carer when ( myself and I) although both application was refused same day but now I was just thinking maybe it we should have completed only one form since I have clicked joint carer in the application, although we sent our application together and relied on one registration certificate Is that correct please?

Yes you complete two separate applications eventhough you are relying on the same supporting documents.

2) If above is correct did I need to complete 2 appeals for each of us or just one appeal form?

You both got separate refusal letters so you appeal separately. Although the appeal will be joined and heard together. (That's my understanding)

3) Please did I need to add any documentary evidence if I am completing online appeal? If yes

When I did an appeal, I completed the form and paid the money. then stated on there that documents will be sent separately. But at that time, the bundle was all posted to parties so not sure what the procedure is now. Others may be able to help with this.

4) A child ( British citizen) living with us as a private foster ( family arrangement ) lost both parents, we haven’t declared this in our application on June 25th 2021? Could this also helps our appeal? Only mentioned him as a relative in uk

Declaring this alone will not add any weight to the matter. The assessment is based on the British child/ren you are relying on. If you want to add this child, you will need to provide supporting documents same as you did for your British Child you relied on. The issue here is that the home office did not even consider the other criteria since they said you did not meet the first eligibility criteria. If they had done that, you would have known thier decision on the sections about the British child being unable to live in the UK if the primary carer/s left the UK indefinitely. If they accepted what you put on the form for your British child, then you don't really need to add this child.

4) As a joint career our eldest Child registered as a BC 23/11/2005 . Others 2007 and 2011

It doesn't look like they even got to that point as I have explained above. Zambrano principle came in 2011 but home office made thier first decision in 2012. It is at the back of this they started appendix FM and directed all those refused to apply for Appendix FM.
Which of your British children did you use for your application? All 3?
If your eldest registered as BC in 2005, he/she would have been 10yrs by then. So basically an adult now. Am I right?
I am a bit confused with the dates you have listed above if they were all BC registration dates, then all your children would be adults assuming you registered them at 10yrs. MN1 route.

5) Which one is bundle or skeleton argument?

Bundle is the pack of evidential documents you send to the judge and home office to support your appeal.

Skeleton argument is what you do to set out out your case etc with the appeal form. There are samples somewhere on this platform.

I will be interested to know a bit more of your case because I registered my child BC aged 10 in 2016 and relied on the child for my derivative residence in 2018.It was refused because they said my husband who had LTR could look after the child if I left the UK indefinitely. I appealed, won,then home office appealed to upper tribunal, I won again. They issued my derivative residence card in 2019.
I applied for pre-settled as joint primary carer with my husband even though he was not applying. I just stated on the form and in previous derivative application that we have been joint carers from birth and continue to be. Issued in 2020.
(So 2016 to 2021 is 5 yrs) which they point out in my pre settled decision letter. I have now applied for Settled status. My husband has applied as well. It's very likely he would be refused as he has LTR. We just thought we will give it a go.
Now waiting to hear what they will say on mine.

Whyworry
Nigeria

Post by Whyworry » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:31 pm

Nyamebeye wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:42 am
1) I completed separate application form for joint carer when ( myself and I) although both application was refused same day but now I was just thinking maybe it we should have completed only one form since I have clicked joint carer in the application, although we sent our application together and relied on one registration certificate Is that correct please?

Yes you complete two separate applications eventhough you are relying on the same supporting documents.

You both got separate refusal letters so you appeal separately. Although the appeal will be joined and heard together. (That's my understanding)

When I did an appeal, I completed the form and paid the money. then stated on there that documents will be sent separately. But at that time, the bundle was all posted to parties so not sure what the procedure is now. Others may be able to help with this.

Declaring this alone will not add any weight to the matter. The assessment is based on the British child/ren you are relying on. If you want to add this child, you will need to provide supporting documents same as you did for your British Child you relied on. The issue here is that the home office did not even consider the other criteria since they said you did not meet the first eligibility criteria. If they had done that, you would have known thier decision on the sections about the British child being unable to live in the UK if the primary carer/s left the UK indefinitely. If they accepted what you put on the form for your British child, then you don't really need to add this child.

It doesn't look like they even got to that point as I have explained above. Zambrano principle came in 2011 but home office made thier first decision in 2012. It is at the back of this they started appendix FM and directed all those refused to apply for Appendix FM.
Which of your British children did you use for your application? All 3?
If your eldest registered as BC in 2005, he/she would have been 10yrs by then. So basically an adult now. Am I right?
I am a bit confused with the dates you have listed above if they were all BC registration dates, then all your children would be adults assuming you registered them at 10yrs. MN1 route.

5) Which one is bundle or skeleton argument?

Bundle is the pack of evidential documents you send to the judge and home office to support your appeal.

Skeleton argument is what you do to set out out your case etc with the appeal form. There are samples somewhere on this platform.

I will be interested to know a bit more of your case because I registered my child BC aged 10 in 2016 and relied on the child for my derivative residence in 2018.It was refused because they said my husband who had LTR could look after the child if I left the UK indefinitely. I appealed, won,then home office appealed to upper tribunal, I won again. They issued my derivative residence card in 2019.
I applied for pre-settled as joint primary carer with my husband even though he was not applying. I just stated on the form and in previous derivative application that we have been joint carers from birth and continue to be. Issued in 2020.
(So 2016 to 2021 is 5 yrs) which they point out in my pre settled decision letter. I have now applied for Settled status. My husband has applied as well. It's very likely he would be refused as he has LTR. We just thought we will give it a go.
Now waiting to hear what they will say on mine.
@ Nyamebeye thank you for taking time to respond I am a bit relieved.

Sorry it was my mistake as my eldest child registered as BC on 23/11/ 2015 , others 2017 & 2011 and I was relying on the first child.

2) Please do I need to pay fees for each appellant ? £80 each .

Please I would really need your guidance or help as our case looks a bit similar as just just need the sample to follow so that I can edit it as the time is very near to submit 2 to 3 days more.

Snooky and other experience member please kindly guide me through as I can’t sleep properly everyday regarding this appeal.

Nyamebeye

Post by Nyamebeye » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:45 pm

You need to pay separate fees for each but ask for the two appeals to be joined/ heard together.

My appeal was done under the EEA Regulations 2016 because it was my derivative application which was refused. I am sorry I don't know much about the cases for appeal for EUSS.
If you take some time to go over the pages here, you will find the post with the page numbers where skeleton argument has been posted.
As you are time restricted, you need to first complete the appeal form choosing the right category for reason to appeal, and pay the fees.Once submitted, your appeal is in.
You then have some time to prepare the bundle to submit nearer to the hearing. The court will give directions.

Whyworry
Nigeria

Post by Whyworry » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:20 pm

Nyamebeye wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:45 pm
You need to pay separate fees for each but ask for the two appeals to be joined/ heard together.

My appeal was done under the EEA Regulations 2016 because it was my derivative application which was refused. I am sorry I don't know much about the cases for appeal for EUSS.
If you take some time to go over the pages here, you will find the post with the page numbers where skeleton argument has been posted.
As you are time restricted, you need to first complete the appeal form choosing the right category for reason to appeal, and pay the fees.Once submitted, your appeal is in.
You then have some time to prepare the bundle to submit nearer to the hearing. The court will give directions.

Thanks a lots for your honest advise I would continue to search for the skeleton argument.

Lagosbos

Post by Lagosbos » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:18 am

Whyworry wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:20 pm
Nyamebeye wrote:

Thanks a lots for your honest advise I would continue to search for the skeleton argument.
Appeal No: EA/XXXXX/XXXX

IN THE FIRST-TIER TRIBUNAL (IMMIGRATION AND ASYLUM CHAMBER)

BETWEEN
Ms XXXXXX XXXXXXXX
(Appellant)
THE SECRETARY OF STATE FOR THE HOME DEPARTMENT
(Respondent)

SKELETON ARGUMENT OF THE APPELLANT
1. This skeleton argument is in support of this appeal against the decision of the Secretary of State for the Home Department ("the Respondent") dated 26 July XXXX to refuse the Appellant’s application for indefinite leave to remain under appendix EU of the immigration rules.
Accordingly this skeleton argument will refer to Ms XXXXXX XXXXXXX as "the Appellant"
2. Ms XXXXXX XXXXXXX has for many years suffered with stress and anxiety due to Home Office delay and inconsistencies.
The facts
References to the Appellant and Respondent's bundles are in the format [A/1] and [R/l] respectively
3. The appellant is a Nigerian national, but has been in the UK since 201X. She is 3X years old (see A/4), has two children British children of whom, XXXX XXXXXX (aged 3) is a British National (see, A/1 & A/2). She is the primary carer for XXXXXX XXXXXX and she shares equal care responsibility with her partner Mr XXXXXX XXXXX who is now settled in the UK (see, A/5).

4. The appellant’s daughter Ms XXXXXX XXXXXX suffers from XXXXXXX and a life threatening postnatal medical condition called XXXXXXX, which requires her carrying around an XXXXXX - an auto-injectable device that delivers a drug called XXXXXXXX when having medical crisis (see, A/6 & A/8). XXXXXXX requires a constant and adequate parental supervision to prevent her from having a crisis that could be life threating.

5. The appellant first came to the UK on a six-month visitor visa, which expired on 07 February XXXX and on the 21 November XXXX, the claimant duly applied for leave to remain under Appendix FM, on the basis of family/private life 10-year route. On 26 March XXXX, the Secretary of State granted the claimant 30 months' limited leave to remain under Appendix FM until 25 September XXXX, with condition preventing recourse to public funds (see, A/3).

6. To keep her rights beyond the 30 June 2021 deadline for ‘grace period’ EU nationals and their family members who wish remain in the United Kingdom after the EU exit transition period. On 12 May 2021 the appellant applied to the EU Settlement Scheme for limited leave to remain (pre-settled status) under Appendix EU of the Immigration Rules, on the basis that she has been a person with Zambrano right to reside for a period 1year 7months continuous residence (see, R/1).

7. By refusal letter (R/2) dated 26 July XXXX the Respondent unlawfully refused the Appellants' application in breach of paragraph (b) of the consent order agreed on 17 June 2021 in the case of Akinsanya, R (on the Application of) v Secretary of State for the Home Department (2021) EWHC 1535 (Admin) (09 June 2021).

8. The respondent’s reasons for refusing the application are brief and I therefore set them out in full:

“To qualify under the EU Settlement Scheme, you need to meet the
requirements that are set out in Appendix EU to the Immigration Rules.
One of the requirements for qualifying for settled or pre-settled status as a
person with a Zambrano right to reside is that you do not already hold leave to
enter or remain in the UK, unless this was granted under the EU Settlement
Scheme.

Our records show that you currently hold leave to remain in the UK valid until 25
September XXXX. This leave was granted under Family/Private Life route, not under the EU Settlement Scheme. This means you cannot qualify as a person with a Zambrano right to reside.

As your existing leave to enter or remain means your application cannot succeed, we have not considered the rest of your application.

It is considered that the information available does not show that you meet the
eligibility requirements for settled status set out in rule EU11 of Appendix EU to
the Immigration Rules or those for pre-settled status which are set out in rule
EU14 of that Appendix. Therefore, you have been refused settled status and
pre-settled status under rule EU6.”

9. Before turning to the provisions of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 that are thus incorporated into Annex 1 of Appendix EU, it is perhaps worth noting at this stage that Mostyn J has held the respondent to have erred in law in her formulation of the italicised words at paragraph (b) (see R (on the application of Olorunfunmilayo Olluwaseun Akinsanya) v The Secretary of State for the Home Department [2021] EWCH 1553 (Admin).

(b) is without leave to enter or remain in the UK, unless this was granted under this Appendix.”

The legal framework

10. The operative provision of Appendix EU which is relevant for the purpose of this appeal is paragraph EU 11. This reads, so far as material:
The applicant meets the eligibility requirements for indefinite leave to enter or remain as a relevant EEA citizen or their family member (or as a person with a derivative right to reside or a person with a Zambrano right to reside) where the Secretary of State is satisfied, including (where applicable) by the required evidence of family relationship, that, at the date of application and in an application made by the required date, one of conditions 1 to 7 is met:
Condition 3 reads:
(vi) is a person who had a derivative or Zambrano right to reside; and
(b) The applicant has completed a continuous qualifying period of five years in any (or any combination) of those categories; and
(c) Since then no supervening event has occurred in respect of the applicant.
Also, one of the eligibility requirements for settlement status under section EU 11 of Appendix EU of the Immigration Rules is that the applicant is a person “with a Zambrano right to reside” in the United Kingdom, as defined in Annex 1. This includes “a person who has satisfied the Secretary of State … that … they were:
(a) resident for a continuous qualifying period in the UK with a derivative right to reside by virtue of regulation 16(1) of the EEA Regulations by satisfying: (i) the criterion in paragraph 1(a) of that regulation; and
(ii) the criteria in:

(aa) paragraph (5) of regulation 16 of the EEA Regulations …; and
(b) is without leave to enter or remain in the UK, unless this was granted under this Appendix.”

[Emphasis added]

The Law

The relevant provisions of the 2016 Regulations for the purposes of this appeal are as follows:

“Derivative right to reside
16.—(1) A person has a derivative right to reside during any period in which the person—
(a)is not an exempt person; and
(b)satisfies each of the criteria in one or more of paragraphs (2) to (6).

(5) The criteria in this paragraph are that—
(a)the person is the primary carer of a British citizen (“BC”);
(b)BC is residing in the United Kingdom; and
(c)BC would be unable to reside in the United Kingdom or in another EEA State if the person left the United Kingdom for an indefinite period.

(7) In this regulation –
…………
(c) an “exempt person” is a person—
(i) who has a right to reside under another provision of these Regulations;
(ii) who has the right of abode under section 2 of the 1971 Act;
(iii) to whom section 8 of the 1971 Act, or an order made under subsection (2) of that section applies; or
(iv) who has indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom.

(8) A person is the “primary carer” of another person (“AP”) if—
(a)the person is a direct relative or a legal guardian of AP; and
(b)either—
(i)the person has primary responsibility for AP’s care; or
(ii)shares equally the responsibility for AP’s care with one other person.”

“Issue of a derivative residence card
20.—(1) The Secretary of State must issue a person with a derivative residence card on application and on production of—
(a) a valid national identity card issued by an EEA State or a valid passport; and
(b) proof that the applicant has a derivative right to reside under regulation 16.
(2) On receipt of an application under paragraph (1) the Secretary of State must issue the applicant with a certificate of application as soon as possible.
(3) A derivative residence card issued under paragraph (1) is valid until—
(a) the date five years from the date of issue; or
(b) any earlier date specified by the Secretary of State when issuing the derivative residence card.
(4) A derivative residence card issued under paragraph (1) must be issued as soon as practicable.
(5) A derivative residence card is—
(a) proof of the holder’s derivative right to reside on the day of issue;
(b) no longer valid if the holder ceases to have a derivative right to reside under regulation 16;
(c) invalid if the holder never had a derivative right to reside under regulation 16.
(6) This regulation is subject to regulations 24 and 25.”

The Zambrano route/Judgements
11. The Court of Justice of the European Union ("CJEU") considered in Ruiz Zambrano v Office national de I 'emploi (C-34 09) 8 March 2011 the effect of EU citizenship as established by Article 20 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union in circumstances, such as these, where non-EEA national parents are the primary carers of EEA national children. From paragraph [42], the CJEU set out that a refusal to grant a right of residence to a third country national with dependent EU citizen minor children would deprive those children of the genuine enjoyment of their right of citizenship. The Court said:

"(42) Article 20 TFEU precludes, national measures which have the effect of deriving citizens of the Union of the genuine enjoyment the substance of the rights conferred by virtue of their status as citizens of the Union (see, to that effect, Rottmann, paragraph 42).

(43) A refusal to grant a right of residence to a third country national with dependent minor children in the Member State where those children are nationals and reside, and a refusal to grant such a person a work permit, has such an effect.

(44) It must be assumed that such a refusal would lead to a situation where those children, citizens of the Union, would have to leave the territory of the Union in order to accompany their parents. Similarly, if a work permit were not granted to such a person, he would risk not having sufficient resources to provide for himself and his family, which would also result in the children, citizens of the Union, having to leave the territory of the Union. In those circumstances, those citizens of the Union would, in fact, be unable to exercise the substance of the rights conferred on them by virtue of their status as citizens of the Union.

(45) Accordingly, the answer to the questions referred is that Article 20 TFEU is to be interpreted as meaning that it precludes a Member State from refusing a third country national upon whom his minor children, who are European Union citizens, are dependent, a right of residence in the Member State of residence and nationality of those children, and from refusing to grant a work permit to that third country national, in so far as such decisions deprive those children of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights attaching to the status of European Union citizen.

12. I again respectfully adopt the reasoning of Mostyn J in R (on the application of Olorunfunmilayo Oluwaseun Akinsanya) v The Secretary of State for the Home Department (2021) EWHC 1535 (Admin) (09 June 2021) in holding that the judgement in Patel does not support the Secretary of state’s view that it is necessary for an applicant to demonstrate that they do not already have leave to remain outside the scheme and/or that they are without reasonable prospects of acquiring it.

“(24) It is my clear reading of the judgment that a claim for a Zambrano derivative right of residence is not extinguished by the existence of a current limited right to remain and work awarded under national law. By contrast, I accept the implication in the judgment that if a person had been granted under national law indefinite leave to remain (with recourse to public funds) then that would, at any rate in theory, be a knock-out blow to a claim for a Zambrano derivative right of residence. This is because the rights claimed would be congruent with the rights already granted. I say "at any rate in theory" because it would be completely pointless to make a Zambrano claim in such circumstances.

(36) I disagree that the only consideration is whether, absent the grant of a Zambrano right, the applicant would be compelled to leave. I have given my reasons for that conclusion above. I disagree that the source of the alternative right is not material. On the contrary, I think that it is critically material and that accordingly the CJEU was very careful to confine the alternative residence rights only to those arising under secondary EU law. Had the court intended a national law granting a limited residence right to be a Zambrano extinguishing factor, then it would no doubt have said so. But it did not.

(37) In my judgment a proper analysis of the EU cases clearly demonstrates that the court did not consider a limited leave to remain under national law to be a Zambrano extinguishing factor. Similarly, the domestic cases do not, when properly analysed, support the general extinguishment theory advanced on behalf of the Secretary of State.

(38) The issue in Sanneh v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions [2016] QB 455 was whether the claimants in that case, all of whom had Zambrano rights of residence, were caught by statutory instruments which had been passed disqualifying Zambrano residents from accessing social security benefits after a specified date. This required a finding to be made as to when the Zambrano right of residence arose. The issue in that case therefore is not the same as the question I have to decide. However, it is clear from the judgment of Arden LJ at [61] that she accepted that a right to reside deriving from a limited leave to remain, would coexist with a right to reside deriving from Zambrano, and that therefore, inferentially, the former did not extinguish the latter.

(41) These aspects of the residence right afforded to a Zambrano carer far exceed the entitlements granted to someone with limited leave to remain. Therefore, it is a fallacy to suggest that the grant of limited leave to remain has the effect of extinguishing a claim to Zambrano rights. I would not go so far as Elias LJ to describe the argument as incoherent, but it is certainly illogical.

(51) My conclusion is that nothing decided in the CJEU or domestically since the decision in Zambrano supports the theory that the existence of a concurrent limited leave to remain of itself automatically extinguishes a claim for Zambrano residence. On the contrary, it is clear to me from the facts of Zambrano itself that the CJEU tacitly acknowledged that a limited national leave to remain, and a wider Zambrano right to remain, in many cases can and will coexist.

13. The reasoning of the Respondent's decision letter is so bare that it requires some extrapolation.
In Patel Irwin LJ said at [76] the following in respect of non-British nationals who marry British nationals and have children: 'Quite a number "years ago, Parliament chose to abrogate the historic approach that marriage to a British citizen would bring, in effect automatically, residence in Britain for the spouse. No such automatic consequence now follows, see s. 6(2) the British Nationality Act1981 and s.2 the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002. Those who marry a British citizen and have children, without having (or acquiring) leave to remain, do so at the risk that they may be compelled to leave the country', facing the real quandary that arises for these families. The Zambrano principle cannot be regarded as a back-door route to residence by such non-EU citizen parents.

14. SSHD refuse a majority of applications by Zambrano carers for Derivative residence card under the Reg 16 of the Immigration EEA Regulations 2016. A person who fulfils the requirements of Reg 16 of the Immigration EEA Regulations 2016 enjoys a derivative right of residence, even if an appellant has not yet made an initial (or renewed) application for LTR under Appendix FM (or otherwise pursuant to Art 8 ECHR) on the basis of the relationship with the British citizen child. SSHD updated their Derivative Residence Card Guidance to mirror the flawed and outdated legal position of Court of Appeal in Patel v SSHD [2017] EWCA Civ 2028 (13 December 2017), notwithstanding Supreme Court in Patel v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2019] UKSC 59 (16 December 2019). The guidance continues to define a derivative right to reside as a right of last resort. Supreme Court overturned the Court of Appeal’s ruling, and thus invalidated the SSHD’s position. The test developed by Supreme Court asks what would happen if Zambrano carers were compelled to leave the EU, rather than whether they would be so compelled. Supreme Court indirectly protects the Third Country National’s right to reside by explicitly safeguarding the Union citizen’s Art. 20 TFEU rights against interference: "Any rights conferred on third-country nationals are not autonomous rights of those nationals but rights derived from those enjoyed by a Union citizen. The purpose and justification of those derived rights are based on the fact that a refusal to allow them would be such as to interfere, in particular, with a Union citizen’s freedom of movement (Chavez-Vilchez, para 62 and the case law cited)." Furthermore, “Article 20 TFEU precludes national measures, including decisions...which have the effect of depriving Union citizens of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred by virtue of their status.” The SSHD’s legal position is untenable. By breaching Art. 20 TFEU, SSHD breaches the appellant’s rights under the EU Treaties, in respect of residence in the United Kingdom.

15. Amendments to the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 ("the Regulations") put the decision in Zambrano on a legislative footing in domestic law. Section ISA, 'Derived rights of residence' of the Regulations provides:
(1) A person (‘P) who is not [an exempt person] and who satisfies that criteria in paragraph (2), (3), [(4A)] or (5) of this regulation is entitled to a derivative right to reside in the United Kingdom for as long as P satisfies the relevant criteria.
(4A) P satisfies the criteria in this paragraph if-
(a) P is the primary carer Of a British citizen ('the relevant British citizen')
(b) The relevant British citizen is residing in the United Kingdom; and
(c) The relevant British citizen would be unable to reside in the UK or in another EEA State if P were required to leave.

16. In considering the scope of the Zambrano route, the CJEU and domestic courts have stressed a distinction between "choice" and "compulsion". It is not sufficient that if an appellant were refused a right of residence the EU citizen would choose to leave the territory of the EU; it is required that they would be compelled to leave the EU if the non-EU citizen so left. For example, in Dereci and Others v Bundesministeriumfiir Inneres (C-256 Il) 15 November 2011 the CJEU held at [67]: The mere fact that it might appear desirable to a national of a Member State for economic reasons or in order to keep his family together in the territory of the Union, for the members of his family who do not have the nationality of a Member State to be able to reside with him in the territory of the Union, is not sufficient in itself to support the view that the Union citizen will be forced to leave the Union, if such a right is not granted.

17. Reliance by the Secretary of State on her Policy Guidance could not stand having regard to the principles arising in KA v Belgium (Case C-82/16) [2018] 3 CMLR 28, on the correct interpretation of Article 20 of TFEU.

18. On 30 January 2020 and having heard a number of test cases, Judge Neville of the First-tier Tribunal (IAC) at Taylor House ruled that a person meeting the requirements Regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (‘the 2016 Regulations’) has a derivative right of residence notwithstanding that he or she has not yet made an application under the Immigration Rules and pursuant to Article 8 ECHR. The upshot is that the novel concept set out in Home Office policy that a Zambrano carer must first make an unsuccessful fee-paid human rights application before an application under the 2016 Regulations can be submitted is unlawful.
Article 20 of TFEU is to be interpreted as meaning that it precludes a Member State from refusing a third country national upon whom his minor children, who are European Union citizens, are dependent, a right of residence in the Member State of residence and nationality of those children, and from refusing to grant a work permit to that third country national, in so far as such decisions deprive those children of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights attaching to the status of European Union citizen. This Ruling was made by Judge Neville after the Supreme Court has ruled on 16 December 2019 Patel vs SSHD which now becomes a precedent and make the 2017 Patel vs SSHD obsolete.
Furthermore, Judge Neville went on to make these proceedings; Where the Secretary of State accepts:
1. That the appellant is the primary carer for a British citizen child; and
2. That the child would not be able to remain in the United Kingdom or another EEA member state if the appellant were required to leave the United Kingdom for an indefinite period.
It is in breach of the appellant’s rights under the EU Treaties in respect of entry to or residence in the United Kingdom for an application for a residence card under Reg. 20 of the 2016 Regulations to be refused because the appellant has not yet made an application for leave to remain under the Immigration Rules (or otherwise pursuant to Article 8 ECHR) on the basis of the relationship with the British citizen child. Further, the Secretary of State also argued that someone holding leave to remain under domestic law would not benefit from a derivative right to reside. She sourced the above principles from Patel. The FTT rejected this contention and held that the Respondent’s interpretation ‘cannot survive the actual legal principles engaged nor, in any event, would her interpretation of the law provide a sound basis for the requirement imposed by the guidance’ [28].

19. In the judgement of Elias LJ in Harrison (Jamaica) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2013] 2 CMLR 23 as approved in R (HC) v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (AIRE Centre intervening) [2017] UKSC 73, [2017] 3 WLR 1486 that where the non-EU national is refused the right of residence because the EU citizen would not in practice be compelled to leave the country “Article 8 Convention rights may then come into the picture to protect family life as the court recognised in Dereci … but that is an entirely distinct area of protection…” [63]. He made no link between exhaustion of Article 8 rights and an assertion of the EU right of residence. I further note the judgement of Lord Reed in R (Agyarko) v Home Secretary [2017] UKSC 11, [2017] 1 WLR 823 where he said at para 65, in considering the decision of the Grand Chamber in Derici; “As the court made clear, that finding was distinct from the consideration of the case under article 8 of the ECHR or, if applicable, the corresponding provision (article 7) of the Charter of Fundamental Rights.” Further, at paragraph 30 of Patel, Lady Arden distinguished between the issue of compulsion and “impermissible reliance on the right to respect for family life or on the desirability of keeping the family together as a ground for obtaining a derivative residence card”.

20. The Court of Appeal considered recently derived routes of residence through the Zambrano route in Patel v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2017] EWCA Civ 2028 in light of the decision of the CJEU in Chavez-Vilchez v Raad van Bestuur van de Sociale Verbekeringsbank and others (C-113 15) 10 May 2017. In his consideration of Chavez-Vilchez, Irwin LJ said as follows: 'The Court confirmed that the relevant question was whether the children would, in practice be compelled to leave the EU if their mothers were obliged to leave the territory of the EU (paragraph 65). That is a question of fact in each case, and the Court touched on a number of factors relevant to that question:

"(68) In that regard, it must be recalled that, in the judgment of 6 December 2012, O and Others (C 356/11 and C 357/11, EU:C:2012:776, paragraphs 51 and 56), the Court held that factors of relevance, for the purposes of determining whether a refusal to grant a right of residence to a third-country national parent of a child who is a Union citizen means that that child is deprived of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred on him by that status, include the question of who has custody of the child and whether that child is legally, financially or emotionally dependent on the third-country national parent.

(69) As regards the second factor, the Court has stated that it is the relationship of dependency between the Union citizen who is a minor and the third country national who is refused a right of residence that is liable to jeopardise the effectiveness of Union citizenship, since it is that dependency that would lead to the Union citizen being obliged, in practice, to leave not only the territory of the Member State of which he is a national but also that of the European Union as a whole, as a consequence of such a refusal (see, to that effect, judgments of 8 March 2011, Ruiz Zambrano, C 34/09, EU:C:2011:124, paragraphs 43 and 45; of 15 November 2011, Dereci and Others, C 256/11, EU:C:2011:734, paragraphs 65 to 67; and of 6 December 2012, O and Others, C 356/11 and C 357/11, EU:C:2012:776, paragraph 56).

(70) In this case, in order to assess the risk that a particular child, who is a Union citizen, might be compelled to leave the territory of the European Union and thereby be deprived of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred on him by Article 20 TFEU if the child’s third-country national parent were to be refused a right of residence in the Member State concerned, it is important to determine, in each case at issue in the main proceedings, which parent is the primary carer of the child and whether there is in fact a relationship of dependency between the child and the third-country national parent. As part of that assessment, the competent authorities must take account of the right to respect for family life, as stated in Article 7 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, that article requiring to be read in conjunction with the obligation to take into consideration the best interests of the child, recognised in Article 24(2) of that charter.

(71) For the purposes of such an assessment, the fact that the other parent, a Union citizen, is actually able and willing to assume sole responsibility for the primary day-to-day care of the child is a relevant factor, but it is not in itself a sufficient ground for a conclusion that there is not, between the third-country national parent and the child, such a relationship of dependency that the child would be compelled to leave the territory of the European Union if a right of residence were refused to that third-country national. In reaching such a conclusion, account must be taken, in the best interests of the child concerned, of all the specific circumstances, including the age of the child, the child’s physical and emotional development, the extent of his emotional ties both to the Union citizen parent and to the third-country national parent, and the risks which separation from the latter might entail for that child’s equilibrium.

21. Further, In the Supreme Court judgement, Lady Hale, Lord Carnwath, Lord Briggs, Lady Arden and Lord Sales unanimously allowed Mr Shah’s appeal and dismissed Mr Patel’s appeal. The court said that the right of residence is a “derivative right” which is derived from the dependent EU/UK citizen. The basis of this derivative right turns on the deprivation of the benefits of EU citizenship as a result of him/her being compelled, by the TCN’s departure, to leave EU territory. Giving the sole judgment Lady Arden prefaced the court’s views by noting that the present case concerned “the nature or intensity of that compulsion.”
22. Article 20 TFEU is a Treaty right which establishes EU citizenship. Everyone holding the nationality of a member state is an EU citizen and such citizenship is additional to and does not replace national citizenship. EU citizens enjoy the rights and subject to the duties provided for in the Treaties, they have the right to move and reside freely within the territory of the member states. Explaining that EU citizenship “lies at the heart of the European legal architecture”, Lady Arden explained that UK law does not give too much prominence to distinction between citizenship of, and nationality within, the UK but that under the TFEU people may possess both EU citizenship and member state nationality (a Treaty right which is a dynamic concept). In Agyarko [2017] UKSC 11 (discussed here), the Supreme Court held that article 20 does not confer any rights on a TCN.
The right to family life is enshrined in article 7 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union and the rights of the child are enshrined in article 24. Notably, article 7 of the CFR reflects article 8 of the ECHR. Further, under article 25 of the CFR, the EU recognises and respects the rights of the elderly to lead a life of dignity and independence and to participate in social and cultural life.
23. The CJEU’s judgment in KA v Belgium (C-82/16, EU:C:2018:308), which was delivered after the Court of Appeal’s judgment in Patel, emphasised the importance of the right to EU citizenship and stated that a TCN might acquire a derived right of residence if their removal could deprive an EU citizen of their citizenship rights. In KA, the CJEU drew a distinction between the case of an EU citizen who is an adult and one who is a child.
The entitlement of a TCN to reside in the EU is limited by the requirement that the TCN’s derived right of residence is only provided to ensure the effectiveness of the EU citizen’s rights. In KA (para 51), keeping in mind the approach in Zambrano (paras 43 and 44) and Chavez-Vilchez (para 63), the CJEU judged that in “very specific situations” a TCN may have a right of residence if the EU citizen would otherwise be obliged to exit EU territory and be deprived of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred by EU citizenship. However, the CJEU said that must be a “relationship of dependency” between the EU citizen and the TCN. Moreover, a TCN could have a relationship of dependency with an adult EU citizen capable of justifying a derived right of residence under article 20 TFEU only in “exceptional circumstances” (para 65). Lady Arden discerned that in both Chavez-Vilchez and KA the CJEU relied on Dereci (C-256/11, EU:C:2011:734) as one of the authorities for the requirement of compulsion. Dereci clearly remained unqualified by the decisions in Chavez-Vilchez and KA and it was held in Dereci that in order for a TCN to have a derived right pursuant to article 20 TFEU, the circumstances must be such that if the TCN is removed the EU citizen would in fact depart with them. Her Ladyship also explained that the CFR cannot extend the application of EU law, which imposes limits on the entitlement to derivative residence rights, and she held that:

(22); “What lies at the heart of the Zambrano jurisprudence is the requirement that the Union citizen would be compelled to leave Union territory if the TCN, with whom the Union citizen has a relationship of dependency, is removed. As the CJEU held in O v Maahanmuuttovirasto (Joined Cases C-356/11 and C-357/11) [2013] Fam 203, it is the role of the national court to determine whether the removal of the TCN carer would actually cause the Union citizen to leave the Union”. In this case, the FTT found against Mr Patel and concluded that his father would not accompany him to India. That means that, unless Chavez-Vilchez adopts a different approach to compulsion, Mr Patel’s appeal must fail. There is no question of his being able to establish any interference with his Convention right to respect for his private and family life as he has failed already in that regard.”

24. In KA the CJEU drew on its earlier decision in Chavez-Vilchez and said that in the case of children, it is first necessary to determine who the primary carer is, and whether there is a relationship of dependency with the TCN or the national parent. Chavez-Vilchez involved several TCN mothers, whose children were Dutch and who claimed a derivative right of residence in the Netherlands. The claims were rejected on the basis that the fathers of the children were also Dutch. Some of the fathers were involved in their child’s upbringing but they lived apart from the child’s mother. They were not the primary carer. The CJEU rejected the view that the mother’s claim for residence was negated by the proposition that the father could in theory become the child’s carer. The national court had to assess whether the child would be compelled to leave the EU. In making that decision, the national court had to take into account all the circumstances, including the best interests of the child.
In Chavez-Vilchez and KA the CJEU identified (para 71 and para 70 respectively) that in arriving at a conclusion on whether the requirement for compulsion is fulfilled, regard must be had, in the best interests of the child concerned, of all the specific circumstances in the case, including the age of the child, the child’s physical and emotional development, the extent of his or her emotional ties both to the EU citizen parent and to the TCN parent, and the full risks which separation from the TCN parent might entail for that child’s equilibrium. The approach in Chavez-Vilchez was fact specific. It concerned separated parents where the EU parent was not the primary carer and the EU citizen child was dependent on the TCN mother. Thus, no direct analogy arose with the Shah case where the family lived together and the TCN father was the primary carer upon whom the child depended. Even so Mr Shah was the primary carer and so the need for a relationship of dependency with the TCN was fulfilled and Chavez-Vilchez held (para 70) that the quality of that relationship is a relevant factor in determining whether the child is compelled to leave the jurisdiction.

25. The Supreme Court did not agree that the reference to the need to consider the child’s best interests pointed to a shift in the law. Lady Arden disagreed that the CJEU had refined or diminished the requirement that there has to be compulsion to leave the EU. Rejecting the idea that diminution would enable consideration to be given to desirability of the family remaining together and to respect for family life (even in the case of adults), Lady Arden held that paragraphs 25-28:
“(25). the final sentence of para 71 of the CJEU’s judgment in Chavez-Vilchez identifies the matters which the national court must take into account when deciding whether the requirement for compulsion is fulfilled. Chavez-Vilchez has to be read in the light of the particular facts before the CJEU, which were of separated parents where the Union citizen parent was not the primary carer and where the national court might well conclude that, having regard to the child’s best interests and the extent of their ties to their mother, the relevant relationship of dependency on the mother was made out. There is no direct analogy with a case, such as the Shah appeal, where the family is living together. In that situation, where the TCN is the primary carer and the parent with whom the child has the relevant relationship of dependency and the Union parent will stay with them so as to keep the family together, it will be in the child’s best interests to remain with both parents. Because Mr Shah was the primary carer, the need for a relationship of dependency with the TCN was fulfilled. Moreover, the quality of that relationship is under the jurisprudence of the CJEU a relevant factor in determining whether the child is compelled to leave the jurisdiction (see Chavez-Vilchez, para 71; KA, para 70).
26. It is argued that the reference to the need to consider the child’s best interests points to a shift in the law, and that the CJEU refined or diminished the requirement that there has to be compulsion to leave the Union. It is said that that diminution would enable consideration to be given to desirability of the family remaining together and to respect for family life, even in the case of adults. In that way, in judging when a person was compelled to leave the Union, regard would be had to a person’s family life and what he would have to do to maintain that family life.
27. I do not consider that this deduction can be made. In Chavez-Vilchez, the CJEU were concerned with the case of a child and it is clear from KA that the case of a child is quite separate from that of an adult and that in the case of an adult it will only be in “exceptional circumstances” that a TCN will have a derivative right of residence by reference to a relationship of dependency with an adult Union citizen. An adult Union citizen does not have a right to have his family life taken into account if this would diminish the requirement to show compulsion to leave. It must be recalled that in KA the CJEU effectively reaffirmed the need to show compulsion even after making it clear that the decision in Chavez-Vilchez was good law. Accordingly, Chavez-Vilchez does not relax the level of compulsion required in the case of adults, and thus provides no assistance to Mr Patel, whose appeal must therefore fail.
28. Nor does Chavez-Vilchez in fact have any impact on the Shah appeal. The outcome of that appeal depends on the findings of fact by the FTT and on whether the Court of Appeal correctly identified the relevant findings for the purposes of the test of compulsion. The FTT found as a fact that Mr Shah was the primary carer of his infant son and that he, rather than the mother, had by far the greater role in his son’s life (para 15). Accordingly, the child had the relevant relationship of dependency with Mr Shah. The FTT was entitled to make this finding on the facts, because the mother’s evidence that Mr Shah was the primary carer of her child and that she could not assume full responsibility for him because she worked full time was not challenged. The mother’s evidence that if Mr Shah was not allowed to stay in this country they would move as a family was also unchallenged. The FTT went on to reach what it called “an inescapable conclusion” that the son would have to leave with his parents and that accordingly the requirement for compulsion was met.”

26. Thus, her Ladyship rejected the argument that in evaluating when a person was compelled to leave the EU, regard would be had to a person’s family life and what he would have to do to maintain that family life. Chavez-Vilchez is about children. KA clarified that children and adults are treated separately and a TCN will only have a derivative right of residence by reference to a dependant relationship with an adult EU citizen in exceptional circumstances.
Lady Arden added that in fact, Chavez-Vilchez had no impact on Mr Shah’s appeal and his appeal’s outcome turned on the findings of fact by the FTT and on whether the Court of Appeal correctly identified the relevant findings for the purposes of the test of compulsion.

The FTT found that Mr Shah was the primary carer of his infant son and that the child had the relevant relationship of dependency with the father (whose evidence was that if he were removed from the UK then the whole family would leave the EU). Furthermore, Mrs Shah’s evidence, that if Mr Shah was not allowed to stay in this country they would relocate as a family, was also unchallenged. The FTT accepted this evidence and held that it was “an inescapable conclusion” that the son would have to leave with his parents. Therefore, the FTT found the requirement of compulsion was met. The Court of Appeal introduced into the question of whether the infant son was compelled to leave the fact that Mrs Shah’s decision to leave was her own choice, and that she, like her husband, would have been “perfectly capable of looking after the child” (para 79). Irwin LJ considered that it followed that there was no question of compulsion.
The Home Office relied on the Court of Appeal’s approach to argue that Mrs Shah simply wished to keep the family together and that reliance on a desire for family reunification was on the CJEU authorities insufficient to justify a derivative right of residence. Lady Arden rejected the submission and held that the overarching question remained whether the son would be compelled to leave because of his relationship of dependency with his father. Her Ladyship added that the court must answer this question in line with para 71 of Chavez-Vilchez and she concluded that:

“(30). the overarching question is whether the son would be compelled to leave by reason of his relationship of dependency with his father. In answering that question, the court is required to take account, “in the best interests of the child concerned, of all the specific circumstances, including the age of the child, the child’s physical and emotional development, the extent of his emotional ties both to the Union citizen parent and to the third-country national parent, and the risks which separation from the latter might entail for that child’s equilibrium” (Chavez-Vilchez, para 71). The test of compulsion is thus a practical test to be applied to the actual facts and not to a theoretical set of facts. As explained in para 28 of this judgment, on the FTT’s findings, the son would be compelled to leave with his father, who was his primary carer. That was sufficient compulsion for the purposes of the Zambrano test. There is an obvious difference between this situation of compulsion on the child and impermissible reliance on the right to respect for family life or on the desirability of keeping the family together as a ground for obtaining a derivative residence card. It follows that the Court of Appeal was wrong in this case to bring the question of the mother’s choice into the assessment of compulsion.”
(31). I consider that the Court of Appeal made an error of law when it treated as determinative what could happen to Mr and Mrs Shah’s son if the father left the UK, rather than what the FTT had found would happen in that event. In other words, it was not open in law to the Court of Appeal to hold that Mr Shah had no derivative right of residence because the mother could remain with the child in the UK even if the father was removed.
Submissions
27. The refusal of the Appellants' application for derivative residence cards is contrary to the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016. She plainly satisfies the following criteria under paragraph 5 of section 16 of those Regulations:

(5) The criteria in this paragraph are that
(a) the person is the primary carer of a British citizen (“BC”);
(b) BC is residing in the United Kingdom; and
(c) BC would be unable to reside in the United Kingdom or in another EEA State if the person left the United Kingdom for an indefinite period.

(a). The Appellant is the primary carer of his British citizen child, who is X years old. See, by way of example, (see, A/1 & A/2) & witness statement (see, A/7).
(b). Her British citizen child reside in the UK. See, by way of example, Bank statements, NHS letters & prescriptions (see, A/6, A8 & A9).
(c). Her British citizen child would be "unable to reside in the UK or another EEA State if the appellant were required to leave as leaving the UK will result to her entire family unit leaving with her and this will have adverse effect on his British child health and overall wellbeing - witness statement (see, A/7). Any suggestion that these child would remain in the UK without her parent is fanciful.

28. This respondent view is in turn based upon an obiter dictum in the judgement of Irwin LJ in Patel v The Secretary of State for the Home Department [2017] EWCA Civ 2028. However, that decision was appealed to the Supreme Court and it is that decision which I am following. In Patel the Supreme Court highlighted at paragraph 3 that the relevant wording of the domestic legislation is “unable to reside” (although the Court was considering regulation 15A of the 2006 Regulations the relevant wording is identical to that in reg 16(5)(c) of the 2016 Regulations).

29. In this case, the Respondent does not dispute that the Appellant is the primary carer for a British citizen child. The Respondent does not dispute in the refusal letter that the Appellant’s child would be compelled to leave the UK with her if he is not granted residence.

30. The Court is bound to consider the best interests of the family's children, whether by operation of section 55 of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 or the citation of Chavez-Vilchez cited above at paragraph [11]. This strongly militates in favour of a grant of indefinite leave to remain to her parent.

31. I would note that the refusal (see paragraph 8 & 12, above) seems to have been based upon the Secretary of State’s view of alternative care as set out in page 23of the relevant Home Office Guidance "EU Settlement Scheme: person with a Zambrano right to reside" (version 4.0 of 27 April 2021) which has been declared legally erroneous in the quashing order by in R (on the application of Olorunfunmilayo Oluwaseun Akinsanya) v The Secretary of State for the Home Department[2021] EWHC 1535 (Admin).

32. It follows that the application of the policy mentioned above in this case is not inconsistent to just Zambrano route and the EEA Regulations 2016, but it is also contrary to the case, which inspired it at the CJEU and domestic courts. I believe the law and regulations should take precedence over a lawfully erroneous policy guidance with inconsistences and anomalies.
33. In the light of the undisputed facts of this case, that the Appellant is the primary carer of a British citizen child, and that child would be unable to reside in the UK or another EEA state if the Appellant were required to leave for an indefinite period. As a result, the appellant has established that she has a derivative right of residence in the UK under Regulation 16 and she is entitled to a derivative right of residence card in accordance with Regulation 20 of the 2016 Regulations & under rule EU6 of appendix EU to immigration rules. I believe the respondent’s decision is contrary to the appellant’s right under the EU withdrawal agreement.

Conclusion
I am respectfully inviting the court to allow this appeal.

Lagosbos

Post by Lagosbos » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:21 am

Whyworry wrote:
Nyamebeye wrote:

Although I haven't dealt with appeals since this new refusal, I am sure you can amend that to suit your narrative. Also include some of the arguments for Forney as discussed on here recently. Some courts are picky and might ask for an index page. In that case, you can let me know and I can draught one for you. All the best.

Mypapers
Newly Registered
Albania

Post by Mypapers » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:33 am

Please don’t go Foreny-again You’ve been inspiration for me

Whyworry
Nigeria

Post by Whyworry » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:57 am

Lagosbos wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:21 am
Whyworry wrote:
Nyamebeye wrote:

Although I haven't dealt with appeals since this new refusal, I am sure you can amend that to suit your narrative. Also include some of the arguments for Forney as discussed on here recently. Some courts are picky and might ask for an index page. In that case, you can let me know and I can draught one for you. All the best.
@ Lagosbos thank you for the post i really appreaciate for giving your time, I believed that is what i would be included in my buddle when the time comes Not during appeal submission, at the appeal form ( No. 6) only allowed me 2000 words, Please correct me if i am wrong.
i will be submitting my appeal today

Lagosbos

Post by Lagosbos » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:34 pm

Whyworry wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:57 am
Lagosbos wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:21 am
Whyworry wrote:
Nyamebeye wrote:

@ Lagosbos thank you for the post i really appreaciate for giving your time, I believed that is what i would be included in my buddle when the time comes Not during appeal submission, at the appeal form ( No. 6) only allowed me 2000 words, Please correct me if i am wrong.
i will be submitting my appeal today
You can copy the following as i quote and paste in that section.

"The SSHD's decision is not in accordance with EU law (a) the decision is not in accordance with Immigration Rules, and (b) is contrary to my rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement. I will be elaborating this grounds in the skeleton argument which will be submitted in support of my appeal."

Whyworry
Nigeria

Post by Whyworry » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:54 pm

@ Lagosbos I am very grateful, I have now submitted the appeal through email few hours ago

Lagosbos

Post by Lagosbos » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:33 pm

Whyworry wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:54 pm
@ Lagosbos I am very grateful, I have now submitted the appeal through email few hours ago
You might find this useful in supporting your argument

https://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/format.c ... (zambrano)

Whyworry
Nigeria

Post by Whyworry » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:02 pm

Lagosbos wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:33 pm
[quote=Whyworry post_id=2085333 time=<a href="tel:1660582474">1660582474</a> user_id=251892]
You might find this useful in supporting your argument

Thank you so much for this as I definitely get back to you

krish147
Newly Registered
India

Post by krish147 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:15 pm

Dear Members,
The application is refused on 23 08 2022 and We desperately need your help to take the next step. please suggest me.

I have submitted my wife's and mine EUSS Zambrano applications by 21/06/2021.
Biometrics was submitted last October.
Presently no visa. We were granted leave to enter or remain in the UK on 14 May 2019 valid until 14
November 2021, under Family and Private Life Rules.
My Both children are British nationals since 12 December 2019. my elder child is 12 years old and my 2nd child is 8 years old. 2nd child is disabled(autism) and receives benefits.
Under disability -are there any exceptional rules in immigration? please advise.

Please see the refusal email from the Home office below.

Date 23 August 2022

Dear Mrs XXXXX
Thank you for your application under the EU Settlement Scheme as a ‘person
with a Zambrano right to reside’.
Your application has been carefully considered but from the information and
evidence provided or otherwise available you do not meet the requirements of
the scheme. I am sorry to inform you that your application has therefore been
refused.
The remainder of this letter details the reasons your application has been
refused, what you can do next and the help available from us.

We have considered whether you meet the requirements for settled status
(also known as indefinite leave to enter or remain) or pre-settled status (also
known as limited leave to enter or remain) under the EU Settlement Scheme.
Unfortunately, based on the information and evidence provided or otherwise
available, and for the reasons set out in this letter, you do not meet the
requirements.

In making this decision, we have complied with our duty under section 55 of
the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 to have regard to the need
to safeguard and promote the welfare of any children who may be affected by
the decision, namely XXXXX and XXXXX. Although this duty
cannot on its own satisfy the eligibility requirements of the EU Settlement
Scheme for a person with a Zambrano right to reside, the children’s best
interests have been a primary consideration in assessing your application.
To qualify under the scheme, you need to meet the requirements that are set
out in Appendix EU to the Immigration Rules. You can find out more about the
requirements here www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-f ... ligibility.
You have applied under the scheme as a ‘person with a Zambrano right to
reside’ (as defined in Annex 1 to Appendix EU) on the basis that you are the

ICD.5298 2 of 5
primary carer of a British citizen. There are three key elements which must be
met:
1. you must meet the requirements of that definition throughout the
continuous qualifying period in the UK in which you rely on being or
having been a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’. Broadly, the
requirements are that the person meets the relevant conditions of
regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area)
Regulations 2016 (‘the EEA Regulations’) and does not hold leave to
remain (unless this was granted under the EU Settlement Scheme);
and
2. that continuous qualifying period in the UK as a ‘person with a Zambrano
right to reside’ must have begun before the specified date (2300 GMT
on 31 December 2020), unless you fall within sub-paragraph (b) or (c)
of the definition of a ‘relevant EEA family permit case’ in Annex 1 to
Appendix EU; and
3. you must meet one of the following, either:
(a) your continuous qualifying period in the UK as a ‘person with a
Zambrano right to reside’ must be continuing at the date of your
application to the scheme; or
(b) your continuous qualifying period in the UK as a ‘person with a
Zambrano right to reside’ must have been continuing at the specified
date and ended when you completed a five-year continuous qualifying
period in the UK as such a person (and by the date of your application
to the scheme there has been no supervening event); or
(c) at the date of your application to the scheme, you must be a ‘person
who had a derivative or Zambrano right to reside’, meaning you were a
‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’ immediately before you met
another qualifying category (such as the family member of a relevant
EEA citizen) and have since remained in that or another qualifying
category through to the date of your application to the scheme.

Your application has been refused because you do not satisfy paragraph 1,
above. You have claimed to have a continuous qualifying period in the UK,
during which you met the definition of a ‘person with a Zambrano right to
reside’, between 10 March 2008 and 29 June 2021. However, you did not
meet the definition throughout this period. Home Office records show that
XXXXXX acquired British Citizenship on 12 December 2019. Therefore,
your continuous qualifying period as a person with a Zambrano right to reside,
provided you had met the criteria as such, would have started on 12
December 2019.
The reason for this is that, at the specified date set out above, you did not
satisfy paragraph (b) of the definition of a ‘person with a Zambrano right to
reside’ as, for the purposes of a continuous qualifying period in the UK as a
‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’, an applicant cannot rely on any
period in which they held non-Appendix EU leave. Our records show that you
were granted leave to enter or remain in the UK on 14 May 2019 valid until 14

ICD.5298 3 of 5
As this means your application as a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’
cannot succeed, we have not considered the rest of the eligibility requirements
for this category of the EU Settlement Scheme.

eligibility requirements for settled status set out in rule EU11 or for pre-settled
status set out in rule EU14 of Appendix EU to the Immigration Rules. This is
for the reasons explained above.
We have also considered whether you meet any of the other eligibility
requirements under Appendix EU, set out in rule EU11, EU12 and EU14.
However, from the information and evidence provided, or otherwise available,
you do not meet any of the other eligibility requirements and your application
has, therefore, been refused under rule EU6 of that Appendix.
Next steps
You can apply for an administrative review if you think the decision maker
made an error or did not follow the published guidance, or where you have
new information or evidence in support of your application.

You have 28 calendar days from the date on which you receive this decision to
apply for an administrative review.

Information on how to apply for an administrative review, the process and the

fees payable are all available online at: www.gov.uk/guidance/eu-settlement-
scheme-apply-for-an-administrative-review.

The administrative review application form is available online at: www.visas-
immigration.service.gov.uk/product/admin-review.

You can also appeal this decision to the First-tier Tribunal under the
Immigration (Citizens' Rights Appeals) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020.

If you are in the UK on the date of this decision you have 14 calendar days
after the date this letter is sent to appeal. If you are outside the UK on the date
of this decision you have 28 calendar days from the date you receive this letter
to appeal.
You can appeal on the basis that the decision is not in accordance with the EU
Settlement Scheme rules. You may bring or continue an appeal from inside or
outside the UK.
Information and support on how to appeal, the process, and the fees payable
are all available online at www.gov.uk/immigration-asylum-tribunal/overview.

 a solicitor. More information is available at www.gov.uk/find-a-legal-
adviser

 an immigration adviser. More information is available at www.gov.uk/find-
an-immigration-adviser;

ICD.5298 4 of 5
 Citizens Advice. More information is available at:
If you are not getting help from a legal representative you can read the guide

on representing yourself at www.gov.uk/guidance/unrepresented-appellants-
immigration-and-asylum-tribunal.

If you do not appeal now and do apply for an administrative review you will be
able to appeal later if your administrative review is unsuccessful. Your
administrative review decision will give you further details on how to appeal.
If you apply for an administrative review and do not appeal now you can
continue to rely on your Certificate of Application as evidence of your
residence rights until either:
 the time limit for appealing after you receive your administrative review
decision has passed; or
 if you appeal following the administrative review decision, until the appeal
is finally determined.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss this letter, you can call the
EU Settlement Resolution Centre anytime from Monday to Friday (excluding
bank holidays), 8am to 8pm Saturday and Sunday, 9:30am to 4:30pm.
Opening hours during bank holidays can be found on gov.uk:

www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside-outside- ... ettlement-
scheme-settled-and-pre-settled-status.

Further details on contacting us can be found on our website:
www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside-outside-uk/y.
Yours sincerely,

Data protection
The UK GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 governs how we use
personal data.
For details of how we will use your personal information and who we may
share it with please see our Privacy Notice for the Border, Immigration and

Citizenship system at www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-
information-use-in-borders-immigration-and-citizenship

ICD.5298 5 of 5
This also explains your key rights under the UK GDPR and the Act, how you
can access your personal information and how to complain if you have
concerns.
Further information
For further information or if you have any queries, our contact details are on
our website: eu-settled-status-enquiries.service.gov.uk/start.

Eburnie27
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Eburnie27 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:16 am

krish147 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:15 pm
Dear Members,
The application is refused on 23 08 2022 and We desperately need your help to take the next step. please suggest me.

I have submitted my wife's and mine EUSS Zambrano applications by 21/06/2021.
Biometrics was submitted last October.
Presently no visa. We were granted leave to enter or remain in the UK on 14 May 2019 valid until 14
My Both children are British nationals since 12 December 2019. my elder child is 12 years old and my 2nd child is 8 years old. 2nd child is disabled(autism) and receives benefits.
Under disability -are there any exceptional rules in immigration? please advise.

Please see the refusal email from the Home office below.

Date 23 August 2022

Dear Mrs XXXXX
Thank you for your application under the EU Settlement Scheme as a ‘person
with a Zambrano right to reside’.
Your application has been carefully considered but from the information and
evidence provided or otherwise available you do not meet the requirements of
the scheme. I am sorry to inform you that your application has therefore been
refused.
The remainder of this letter details the reasons your application has been
refused, what you can do next and the help available from us.

We have considered whether you meet the requirements for settled status
(also known as indefinite leave to enter or remain) or pre-settled status (also
known as limited leave to enter or remain) under the EU Settlement Scheme.
Unfortunately, based on the information and evidence provided or otherwise
available, and for the reasons set out in this letter, you do not meet the
requirements.

In making this decision, we have complied with our duty under section 55 of
the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 to have regard to the need
to safeguard and promote the welfare of any children who may be affected by
the decision, namely XXXXX and XXXXX. Although this duty
cannot on its own satisfy the eligibility requirements of the EU Settlement
Scheme for a person with a Zambrano right to reside, the children’s best
interests have been a primary consideration in assessing your application.
To qualify under the scheme, you need to meet the requirements that are set
out in Appendix EU to the Immigration Rules. You can find out more about the
requirements here www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-f ... ligibility.
You have applied under the scheme as a ‘person with a Zambrano right to
reside’ (as defined in Annex 1 to Appendix EU) on the basis that you are the

ICD.5298 2 of 5
primary carer of a British citizen. There are three key elements which must be
met:
1. you must meet the requirements of that definition throughout the
continuous qualifying period in the UK in which you rely on being or
having been a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’. Broadly, the
requirements are that the person meets the relevant conditions of
regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area)
Regulations 2016 (‘the EEA Regulations’) and does not hold leave to
remain (unless this was granted under the EU Settlement Scheme);
and
2. that continuous qualifying period in the UK as a ‘person with a Zambrano
right to reside’ must have begun before the specified date (2300 GMT
on 31 December 2020), unless you fall within sub-paragraph (b) or (c)
of the definition of a ‘relevant EEA family permit case’ in Annex 1 to
Appendix EU; and
3. you must meet one of the following, either:
(a) your continuous qualifying period in the UK as a ‘person with a
Zambrano right to reside’ must be continuing at the date of your
application to the scheme; or
(b) your continuous qualifying period in the UK as a ‘person with a
Zambrano right to reside’ must have been continuing at the specified
date and ended when you completed a five-year continuous qualifying
period in the UK as such a person (and by the date of your application
to the scheme there has been no supervening event); or
(c) at the date of your application to the scheme, you must be a ‘person
who had a derivative or Zambrano right to reside’, meaning you were a
‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’ immediately before you met
another qualifying category (such as the family member of a relevant
EEA citizen) and have since remained in that or another qualifying
category through to the date of your application to the scheme.

Your application has been refused because you do not satisfy paragraph 1,
above. You have claimed to have a continuous qualifying period in the UK,
during which you met the definition of a ‘person with a Zambrano right to
reside’, between 10 March 2008 and 29 June 2021. However, you did not
meet the definition throughout this period. Home Office records show that
XXXXXX acquired British Citizenship on 12 December 2019. Therefore,
your continuous qualifying period as a person with a Zambrano right to reside,
provided you had met the criteria as such, would have started on 12
December 2019.
The reason for this is that, at the specified date set out above, you did not
satisfy paragraph (b) of the definition of a ‘person with a Zambrano right to
reside’ as, for the purposes of a continuous qualifying period in the UK as a
‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’, an applicant cannot rely on any
period in which they held non-Appendix EU leave. Our records show that you
were granted leave to enter or remain in the UK on 14 May 2019 valid until 14

ICD.5298 3 of 5
As this means your application as a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’
cannot succeed, we have not considered the rest of the eligibility requirements
for this category of the EU Settlement Scheme.

eligibility requirements for settled status set out in rule EU11 or for pre-settled
status set out in rule EU14 of Appendix EU to the Immigration Rules. This is
for the reasons explained above.
We have also considered whether you meet any of the other eligibility
requirements under Appendix EU, set out in rule EU11, EU12 and EU14.
However, from the information and evidence provided, or otherwise available,
you do not meet any of the other eligibility requirements and your application
has, therefore, been refused under rule EU6 of that Appendix.
Next steps
You can apply for an administrative review if you think the decision maker
made an error or did not follow the published guidance, or where you have
new information or evidence in support of your application.

You have 28 calendar days from the date on which you receive this decision to
apply for an administrative review.

Information on how to apply for an administrative review, the process and the

fees payable are all available online at: www.gov.uk/guidance/eu-settlement-
scheme-apply-for-an-administrative-review.

The administrative review application form is available online at: www.visas-
immigration.service.gov.uk/product/admin-review.

You can also appeal this decision to the First-tier Tribunal under the
Immigration (Citizens' Rights Appeals) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020.

If you are in the UK on the date of this decision you have 14 calendar days
after the date this letter is sent to appeal. If you are outside the UK on the date
of this decision you have 28 calendar days from the date you receive this letter
to appeal.
You can appeal on the basis that the decision is not in accordance with the EU
Settlement Scheme rules. You may bring or continue an appeal from inside or
outside the UK.
Information and support on how to appeal, the process, and the fees payable
are all available online at www.gov.uk/immigration-asylum-tribunal/overview.

 a solicitor. More information is available at www.gov.uk/find-a-legal-
adviser

 an immigration adviser. More information is available at www.gov.uk/find-
an-immigration-adviser;

ICD.5298 4 of 5
 Citizens Advice. More information is available at:
If you are not getting help from a legal representative you can read the guide

on representing yourself at www.gov.uk/guidance/unrepresented-appellants-
immigration-and-asylum-tribunal.

If you do not appeal now and do apply for an administrative review you will be
able to appeal later if your administrative review is unsuccessful. Your
administrative review decision will give you further details on how to appeal.
If you apply for an administrative review and do not appeal now you can
continue to rely on your Certificate of Application as evidence of your
residence rights until either:
 the time limit for appealing after you receive your administrative review
decision has passed; or
 if you appeal following the administrative review decision, until the appeal
is finally determined.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss this letter, you can call the
EU Settlement Resolution Centre anytime from Monday to Friday (excluding
bank holidays), 8am to 8pm Saturday and Sunday, 9:30am to 4:30pm.
Opening hours during bank holidays can be found on gov.uk:

www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside-outside- ... ettlement-
scheme-settled-and-pre-settled-status.

Further details on contacting us can be found on our website:
www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside-outside-uk/y.
Yours sincerely,

Data protection
The UK GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 governs how we use
personal data.
For details of how we will use your personal information and who we may
share it with please see our Privacy Notice for the Border, Immigration and

Citizenship system at www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-
information-use-in-borders-immigration-and-citizenship

ICD.5298 5 of 5
This also explains your key rights under the UK GDPR and the Act, how you
can access your personal information and how to complain if you have
concerns.
Further information
For further information or if you have any queries, our contact details are on
our website: eu-settled-status-enquiries.service.gov.uk/start.

Based on what was said on previous pages in depth, you have the choice between administration review and appeal.
I think if you start to look from page 170, Lagosbos, Forney, Snooky Nyamebeye and others have explained and given drafts of what to do

Hope it helps, hang in there. It can be difficult and like a prison sentence sometimes. God will see you throughout this ordeal

krish147
Newly Registered
India

Post by krish147 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:18 am

Thank you Eburnie