ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Currency exchange in the UK?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Aziz0201
Newly Registered
Algeria

Currency exchange in the UK?

Post by Aziz0201 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:10 pm

Hello everyone,

I am preparing to arrive to the UK on the 13th of September but I will be carrying a great amount cash with me (7000 usd). I know it is not advisable to do that but my bank doesn’t offer services and their card doesn’t work.

Where can I exchange my money at the best rate?

I am going to hull btw.

Thank you

sam550

Re: Currency exchange in the UK?

Post by sam550 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:44 pm

Post office
Tesco superstore
Ramsden

If you’re near Hull University - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cash+ ... -0.3586293

I mean options are unlimited, hope you’ll get it sorted.

Aziz0201
Newly Registered
Algeria

Post by Aziz0201 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:06 pm

sam550 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:44 pm
Post office
Tesco superstore
Ramsden

If you’re near Hull University - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cash+ ... -0.3586293

I mean options are unlimited, hope you’ll get it sorted.
Thank you. I found the same thing. I might chose euro change but I will check all of them.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:36 pm

Aziz0201 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:10 pm
Hello everyone,

I am preparing to arrive to the UK on the 13th of September but I will be carrying a great amount cash with me (7000 usd). I know it is not advisable to do that but my bank doesn’t offer services and their card doesn’t work.

I am going to hull btw.

Thank you
Make sure you check the cash limit you can travel with to avoid any issues. You will be required to declare the cash you are carrying if up to a certain amount
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

Aziz0201
Newly Registered
Algeria

Post by Aziz0201 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:39 pm

Djsuccess wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:36 pm
Aziz0201 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:10 pm
Hello everyone,

I am going to hull btw.

Thank you
Make sure you check the cash limit you can travel with to avoid any issues. You will be required to declare the cash you are carrying if up to a certain amount
I have check the cash limit in my country. I am abiding by the law.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:11 pm

(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Aziz0201
Newly Registered
Algeria

Post by Aziz0201 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:30 am

I am not bringing with me more than 10 000 pounds. This website was helpful.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:42 am

I think the advice from UKCISA is also focused in terms of safety, not only in the limit.

It's not common at all for a student coming to the UK to carry large amounts of cash when entering the country. You're not bringing more than 10,000 Euros but you still can be questioned at the port of entry.

Have you tried those online transfer services? Sending the money to someone of your trust and then they can transfer it to another account or give it to you when arrive?

Aziz0201
Newly Registered
Algeria

Post by Aziz0201 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:06 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:42 am
I think the advice from UKCISA is also focused in terms of safety, not only in the limit.

It's not common at all for a student coming to the UK to carry large amounts of cash when entering the country. You're not bringing more than 10,000 Euros but you still can be questioned at the port of entry.

Have you tried those online transfer services? Sending the money to someone of your trust and then they can transfer it to another account or give it to you when arrive?
lolo2 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:42 am

Thank you for your prompt reply,

I am going to declare the money I am bringing with me in Algeria and I have bank statement that I used with this account in my visa in addition a certificate of withdrawal.

I couldn’t transfer the money because our banking system is underdeveloped and even international transfer must go through the central bank to be verified before
It is sent which takes a month. Their credit card is not feasible and I had to declare every time through paper work where I am sending money.

Even though there are security concerns about carrying cash, I would have to do it. I have no other choice.