ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Application Discussion 2022

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

duffy1867

Re: Passport Application Discussion 2022

Post by duffy1867 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:15 am

AmiVera2022 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:01 am
January 2022 is this year so it should be fine. I sent the following: a revenue letter from 2019, a cervical check letter from March 2022 and the naturalization letter that came with the certificate. The revenue letter is old but it can be used as proof of name, while the other 2 as proof of address. They must have liked those letters because the status of my application passed from verifying documents to processing in only 5 days
Thank you!

corkms
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by corkms » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:19 pm

Breakthrough today - my passport was dispatched!

But, there's not tracking number on the online tracker. All it says is "Dispatched: Your Passport Book was posted on 04/08/2022"

Didn't they used to include the tracking number in the past?

sztpdl
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by sztpdl » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:07 pm

corkms wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:19 pm

But, there's not tracking number on the online tracker. All it says is "Dispatched: Your Passport Book was posted on 04/08/2022"

If you ask the passport chat, they should be able to provide it to you. The tracking number for both passport and passport card were displayed for me only when the passport card was dispatched.

G Dog
Ireland

Post by G Dog » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:07 am

corkms wrote:

Mine took about a day to update from dispatched and display the tracking number

corkms
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by corkms » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:09 am

sztpdl wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:07 pm
corkms wrote:

If you ask the passport chat, they should be able to provide it to you. The tracking number for both passport and passport card were displayed for me only when the passport card was dispatched.
This worked. Thank you!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:44 pm

Hi all, just recently moved over to this thread from the FBR thread. I have a question I hope someone can answer.

My name was changed legally when I was kid, basically my first and middle names were swapped. In the passport application online it asks:

"My birth certificate name or naturalised name will be the name on my passport"

Of course my birth certificate has a different name. If I tick No here, it gives me 2 options:

Marriage (no)
Proof of Usage - (I think this is the one)
Gender recognition - (no)

I have submitted the court documents confirming my name change as part of my FBR application, and that was fine, but I'm confused here. Is Proof of usage the option I need here? Seems strange as I have the official court documents confirming everything and it was already accepted by the FBR.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

G Dog
Ireland

Post by G Dog » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:48 am

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:44 pm
Hi all, just recently moved over to this thread from the FBR thread. I have a question I hope someone can answer.

My name was changed legally when I was kid, basically my first and middle names were swapped. In the passport application online it asks:

"My birth certificate name or naturalised name will be the name on my passport"

Of course my birth certificate has a different name. If I tick No here, it gives me 2 options:

Marriage (no)
Proof of Usage - (I think this is the one)
Gender recognition - (no)

I have submitted the court documents confirming my name change as part of my FBR application, and that was fine, but I'm confused here. Is Proof of usage the option I need here? Seems strange as I have the official court documents confirming everything and it was already accepted by the FBR.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
You should be ok....my current name is different from the one on my birth certificate ( my mum remarried, but my new dad legally adopted me and I use his name on a daily basis). This was noted in my passport application and I included the adoption court order to show that the name change was legal. The DFA were happy with this and noted the name change as an observation on my passport without any issue

NFH5
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by NFH5 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:35 pm

WebChat told me on 08/08/2022 that applications from the UK are currently taking 8 to 13 weeks from the date that supporting documents are received, by which it became clear that he actually meant the date that the status changes to verifying documents. My passport was issued the next day, as can be seen in my timelines.

@2lambbhuna+ I know you previously had exactly the same timelines as my application. I hope that this still holds true.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:52 pm

This may be a silly or obvious question, but I see lots of folks referencing that they sent a "certified" or "official" copy of their passport, what does that mean? Is it a witnessed copy?

I'd prefer not to send my actual US passport off for 2 months if I don't need to.

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:38 pm

I'm confused, if someone can help please ?

If I'm applying for first time passport based on naturalization and resident in Ireland than on dfa.ie there is question "my most recent passport was issued less than 15 years ago" yes/no ?

Should I say because on home country ( not Ireland) passport issued is less than 15 years OR no because it's not Irish passport ? Please help

HannahNkunga12
Ireland

Post by HannahNkunga12 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:03 pm

OneWorld2122 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:38 pm

If I'm applying for first time passport based on naturalization and resident in Ireland than on dfa.ie there is question "my most recent passport was issued less than 15 years ago" yes/no ?

Should I say because on home country ( not Ireland) passport issued is less than 15 years OR no because it's not Irish passport ? Please help
You put No as this is your first Irish passport

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:07 pm

OneWorld2122 wrote:

I had the same question initially, as I have a current US passport, but I believe the question is asking about an Irish passport because if you say "yes it's more recent than that" then it leads you to a screen asking if your last passport is "expired, lost, stolen, full, damaged" with no applicable option. If you say "No" it leads you through an application for a first time passport. At least that's my understanding. That's what I did anyway.

2lambbhuna+
Newly Registered
France

Post by 2lambbhuna+ » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:03 pm

NFH5 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:35 pm
WebChat told me on 08/08/2022 that applications from the UK are currently taking 8 to 13 weeks from the date that supporting documents are received, by which it became clear that he actually meant the date that the status changes to verifying documents. My passport was issued the next day, as can be seen in my timelines.

@2lambbhuna+ I know you previously had exactly the same timelines as my application. I hope that this still holds true.
Thank you for the information NFH5. I still have not received anything but hopefully it should be soon. Congrats on the new pp. All the best.

shannonlee
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by shannonlee » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:32 pm

Hi All -

I have 2 questions:

1. I got my Irish citizenship on June 20 of this year. Does anyone know how long it is currently taking for your original passport to be returned to you after you send it in with your application? I'd like to send my application in within the next couple weeks but I have a holiday at the beginning of November that I'll need my passport for.

2. It says that I need to submit my "original passport from country of birth if available". I was born in the US and also have an Italian passport that lists the US as my country of birth. I've been living in Ireland on my Italian passport as an EU citizen. I assume they would want my US passport and NOT my Italian one? I'm planning to call and confirm but wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and can shed some light.

Thank you!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:13 pm

shannonlee wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:32 pm
Hi All -

I have 2 questions:

1. I got my Irish citizenship on June 20 of this year. Does anyone know how long it is currently taking for your original passport to be returned to you after you send it in with your application? I'd like to send my application in within the next couple weeks but I have a holiday at the beginning of November that I'll need my passport for.

2. It says that I need to submit my "original passport from country of birth if available". I was born in the US and also have an Italian passport that lists the US as my country of birth. I've been living in Ireland on my Italian passport as an EU citizen. I assume they would want my US passport and NOT my Italian one? I'm planning to call and confirm but wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and can shed some light.

Thank you!
What is your nationality on your naturalisation certificate? You should send that passport in. Of course there is no problem if you want to send your other passport in as well.

If you have plans to travel in the next 2 months or so, you should keep one of the passport with you (or if you have an Italian citizen ID card and you are travelling within the EU, then you don’t need your passports).

bfs_lawd
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by bfs_lawd » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:27 am

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:07 pm
OneWorld2122 wrote:

I had the same question initially, as I have a current US passport, but I believe the question is asking about an Irish passport because if you say "yes it's more recent than that" then it leads you to a screen asking if your last passport is "expired, lost, stolen, full, damaged" with no applicable option. If you say "No" it leads you through an application for a first time passport. At least that's my understanding. That's what I did anyway.
In no way am i saying this to criticise you of to put you off applying but someone who is already an EU National living in Ireland has vitually all the same rights as an Irish or UK citizen in Ireland does, apart from the right of being able to live in the UK (not that many people want to emigrate there these days) it seems like a very expensive exercise with little practical benefit.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:37 pm

Reposting to see if anyone sees this time:

I have finished the online application and am preparing to send the documents to Dublin. Hoping for some clarity if anyone can help.

"This may be a silly or obvious question, but I see lots of folks referencing that they sent a "certified" or "official" copy of their passport, what does that mean? Is it a witnessed copy?

I'd prefer not to send my actual US passport off for 2 months if I don't need to."

corky100

Post by corky100 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:56 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:37 pm

I have finished the online application and am preparing to send the documents to Dublin. Hoping for some clarity if anyone can help.

"This may be a silly or obvious question, but I see lots of folks referencing that they sent a "certified" or "official" copy of their passport, what does that mean? Is it a witnessed copy?

I'd prefer not to send my actual US passport off for 2 months if I don't need to."
It's been mentioned many times, dig back through a thread a little bit.

Yes. I used my witness to certify the copy. Or you can "notarize", just do it the Irish way ;)

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to- ... -document/

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:40 pm

Hi littlerr,

could you please also advice , if applying for first time passport based on 5 year resident naturalization,

is it necessary to send original passport or could send certified copy with original PSC card ? Thanks
littlerr wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:13 pm
shannonlee wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:32 pm
Hi All -

I have 2 questions:

Thank you!
What is your nationality on your naturalisation certificate? You should send that passport in. Of course there is no problem if you want to send your other passport in as well.

If you have plans to travel in the next 2 months or so, you should keep one of the passport with you (or if you have an Italian citizen ID card and you are travelling within the EU, then you don’t need your passports).

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:19 pm

The official advice is to always send in original passport although many people (myself included) have confirmed that they do accept certified copies of passport.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:01 am

corky100 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:56 pm
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:37 pm

It's been mentioned many times, dig back through a thread a little bit.

Yes. I used my witness to certify the copy. Or you can "notarize", just do it the Irish way ;)

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to- ... -document/
Ah, yea I should've searched the thread. Anyway, thanks for the answer.

OneWorld2122
Ireland

Post by OneWorld2122 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:48 pm

I saw amivera post of first time passport application 2022 that got a passport in 20 days, I guess based on naturalization and resident,

Do we know if the processing time has reduced or once off case ?

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:32 pm

Quick question, those of you in the USA, when you sent your documents to Dublin, which mail service did you use?

USPS registered mail? or Fedex, DHL or UPS?

Abaloneman
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Abaloneman » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:23 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:32 pm
Quick question, those of you in the USA, when you sent your documents to Dublin, which mail service did you use?

USPS registered mail? or Fedex, DHL or UPS?
I used USPS as that was the only option - FedEx would not deliver to the address. USPS was very slow.

joemac41
Ireland

Post by joemac41 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:06 pm

A question for anyone who finished the process:

Does your paperwork that you sent in get returned with your passport card or does it come under seperate cover later on?

And if it get sent seperately, does the tracking number get added to the passport tracking page?

Thanks in advance.