ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK SWV extension approved for more duration than the CoS end date- Issue?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anikait_k
Newly Registered

UK SWV extension approved for more duration than the CoS end date- Issue?

Post by anikait_k » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:46 pm

Hello experts!

Today I received the approval email for my SWV extension. The end date on my CoS was 17th January 2023 however the email says the below-

' You have been granted permission to stay in the UK as a Skilled Worker until 19 Jun 2025' I checked my immigration status on Gov.uk and it says the same date

The visa was extended for additional 2+ years than the end date on my CoS. Is this by error? Should I report this? If yes, how? I am yet to receive my BRP.

Would appreciate your response on this matter. Many thanks!

Hampshire
Mood:
India

Re: UK SWV extension approved for more duration than the CoS end date- Issue?

Post by Hampshire » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:32 am

First wait for your brp to arrive and then act. It looks like an error

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:04 am

That's not an error. I think the application gives you three years by default. For example, you must have paid IHS for three years, so you've got what you paid for.

My first contract in the UK was a fixed-term for 18 months and my Tier 2 visa at the time was approved for three years. I didn't have any issues at all.

If still in doubt ask the company's HR department.

ywlgy

Post by ywlgy » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:37 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:04 am
That's not an error. I think the application gives you three years by default. For example, you must have paid IHS for three years, so you've got what you paid for.

My first contract in the UK was a fixed-term for 18 months and my Tier 2 visa at the time was approved for three years. I didn't have any issues at all.

If still in doubt ask the company's HR department.
Immigration rules are very clear on this.
SW 18.1. The applicant will be granted entry clearance or permission to stay until 14 days after the end date of their certificate of sponsorship (which may be up to a maximum of 5 years after the start date of their certificate of sponsorship).
DISCLAIMER: Advice given is based on my past experience and/or my interpretation of Immigration Rules and UKVI documents.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:17 pm

Yes, that's right.

But again, the same happened to me once (personal experience).

The CoS and the contract was for 18 months and my visa was approved for three years. I also paid IHS for three years.

At the time it was my first contract and had the same concern that the OP, I asked the HR department and they told me that's not an issue. I've also got a IHS refund for the remaining time after switching.

Later I was able to switch to another sponsor without any issues, additional questions, etc. I also got an IHS refund for the remaining time.

anikait_k
Newly Registered

Post by anikait_k » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:40 pm

Hello All,

Many thanks for your advice.
Just to let you know that the BRP I received also was for a longer duration that expected. However I am now switching my job and my new employer filed a change of employer application for me. This application was approved for the correct duration and I will be sending my old BRP back as per the process.
My Solicitor suggested that there' s is no need to report anything as I am anyway moving into another CoS.