ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Application Discussion 2022

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

G Dog
Ireland

Re: Passport Application Discussion 2022

Post by G Dog » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:15 am

joemac41 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:06 pm
A question for anyone who finished the process:

Does your paperwork that you sent in get returned with your passport card or does it come under seperate cover later on?

And if it get sent seperately, does the tracking number get added to the passport tracking page?

Thanks in advance.
The Irish passport and passport card were sent separately, although tracking was provided for both.

My original UK passport and documents were sent to me separately still, but without tracking.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:41 am

This may be a silly question, but I've heard reference to it. I submitted my first passport application recently after FBR approval. Are applications prioritized based on citizenship sources? In other words are passport applications of FBR citizens prioritized below other citizens? Doesn't really matter, but just curious.

JohnFBR
Mood:

Post by JohnFBR » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:24 am

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:41 am
This may be a silly question, but I've heard reference to it. I submitted my first passport application recently after FBR approval. Are applications prioritized based on citizenship sources? In other words are passport applications of FBR citizens prioritized below other citizens? Doesn't really matter, but just curious.
Hi DT, good to be on this part of the journey with you.
My guess would be not prioritised but different channels with different procedures. Renewals have the least steps/checks but first time have to be more greater scrutinised so take longer.

G Dog
Ireland

Post by G Dog » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:40 am

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
No...all applications are dealt with on an equal basis, unless it's a straightforward renewal. A first time application by FBR is dealt with the same as one through naturalization and so on

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:12 pm

JohnFBR wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:24 am
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Hi DT, good to be on this part of the journey with you.
My guess would be not prioritised but different channels with different procedures. Renewals have the least steps/checks but first time have to be more greater scrutinised so take longer.
Hey John! Yea man! Good to be done with FBR!
As for the priority, that's what I figured but just wanted to confirm.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:13 pm

G Dog wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:40 am
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
No...all applications are dealt with on an equal basis, unless it's a straightforward renewal. A first time application by FBR is dealt with the same as one through naturalization and so on
Thanks G, that's what I figured but wanted to confirm.

JohnFBR
Mood:

Post by JohnFBR » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:45 am

Passport paperwork received today. I have been given an estimate of 3rd October.

Does this sound accurate? 4 weeks?

Throwaway2022IRE
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Throwaway2022IRE » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:59 pm

Been lurking on this forum for ages now but wanted to post a success story to give others some hope.

Recently received first-time passport application in 16 days (see timeline thread for details just posted).

What many of you may find interesting is that I did NOT submit my original passport (or a notarised copy). I didn't want to not have my passport during the summer so I simply provided my Public Services Card (front/back photocopy) as photographic identification, which appears to be what they need the passport for.

What I provided was as follows:

1) Identity verification form signed by a member of the Gardai Siochona
2) Original Naturalisation Certificate
3) Full original civil birth certificate (foreign born)
4) Proof of address in the form of a letter from the Department of Justice
5) Proof of name in the form of a letter from the Department of Justice (different than #4)
6) Photographic identification in the form of a front/back photocopy of my Public Services Card

I wrote a cover letter with the application with the above list and detailed documents provided specifically identified.

I had to update my digital photograph I provided but I had no other information requests and received my supporting documents the same day as my new passport (less than 3 weeks!).

Best of luck everyone. Hopefully this gives a glimmer of hope to those of you who didn't submit passport/copy, or who are reticent to do so with an imminent application.

Abaloneman
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Abaloneman » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:25 pm

Online Application: 02 June 2022
Documents Posted (via USPS): 06 June 2022
Documents Received but not posted in tracking system: 20 June 2022
Documents Received and posted in tracking system: 18 July 2022
Documents Processing: 18 July 2022
Documents Printing: 06 Sep 2022
Documents Dispatched: 07 Sep 2022
Passport Received: 14 Sep 2022
Passport Card: Not yet received.

Passport based on FBR (applied for 02 December 2019 and finished 04 March 2022). There were no requests for additional information during either application, just slow processing. However, my passport documents were sent via USPS International Express and took much longer than the USPS "guarantee" of 3 to 5 business days. Also, passport office chat told me documents were received on 20 June 2022, but not entered into the passport tracking system until 18 July 2022. When it was entered as "processing" on that date, the estimated date given for passport issue was the same date of 18 July. My experience is that their tracking system appears to rely on manual entry, and therefore may not be entirely reliable.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:40 pm

JohnFBR wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:45 am
Passport paperwork received today. I have been given an estimate of 3rd October.

Does this sound accurate? 4 weeks?

Hey John, mine took forever to get there registered mail from California, but was received Monday 9/12 and I also got a 4 week estimated issue date of Oct 11. Looking at the timeline thread on the board, that seems optimistic. Seems to be more like 8 weeks minimum. We'll see! Sure is nice to have a tracker tho!

SiobhanMac
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by SiobhanMac » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:09 pm

I completed my online passport application as a FBR applicant from the U.K. on 28th August 2022 and posted the paper copy from the U.K. on 30th August.

A nurse colleague verified my application and certified a copy of my passport. I also sent a HMRC letter and nhs number confirmation letter (you can request this online for free).

Documents received 2nd September 2022.

On 21.09.22 colleague received a call from Ciara at Dublin passport office verifying my application. She was in clinic so couldn’t speak to her.

22.9.22 speaks to Ciara and 3 hours later my tracker updates to printing and there is an An Post tracker number on my passport tracking service page. However no info is actually linked to the tracker so perhaps it’s not been received as yet.

Will update when I receive my passport!

HannahNkunga12
Ireland

Post by HannahNkunga12 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:46 pm

SiobhanMac wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:09 pm
I completed my online passport application as a FBR applicant from the U.K. on 28th August 2022 and posted the paper copy from the U.K. on 30th August.

A nurse colleague verified my application and certified a copy of my passport. I also sent a HMRC letter and nhs number confirmation letter (you can request this online for free).

On 21.09.22 colleague received a call from Ciara at Dublin passport office verifying my application. She was in clinic so couldn’t speak to her.

22.9.22 speaks to Ciara and 3 hours later my tracker updates to printing and there is an An Post tracker number on my passport tracking service page. However no info is actually linked to the tracker so perhaps it’s not been received as yet.

An post tracker take a while to update. It should by midnight though. Keep checking

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:17 am

SiobhanMac wrote:

Wow that's pretty fast! Less than 3 weeks. Also, is this standard for them to call the witness? I only ask because I had mine done by a notary public and given the 8 hour time difference between Dublin and San Diego ... that would certainly take some wrangling to do.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:10 pm

Couple of interesting points from my application that may help others...

Once posted in GB - it took over a week (10 days) to leave the UK - this must be a Brexit issue as it was nowhere near this long before - I have seen others say the same on here and the FBR chat. I also had to submit a customs declaration with the postage documents - good to see that red tape getting cut :roll:

Back to the application itself, it took just over a week to verify documents once received in ROI and then around 4 weeks of 'processing.' They called my witness 4 days ago and it immediately changed to printing once confirmed. It seems that calling the witness is the final step before printing and being issued a passport.

I submitted an original driving licence and certified copy of passport - both fine. Also submitted 4 proof's of address/name and followed the advice for Northern Ireland as we have the same public services in GB (submitted one of each document they asked for, technically two more than they needed, i.e. HMRC, 2 x NHS, Council Tax etc)

Passport in the post to me 1 month, 1 week and 4 days post application, with a 10 day hold up in the UK. Not too shabby at all after a 29 month wait for citizenship!

SiobhanMac
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by SiobhanMac » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:30 pm

SiobhanMac wrote:

Well, I’ve arrived home from work today and now have my Irish passport! 4 weeks from posting from GB to receiving! Am so happy! Off to book an ancestry trip with my aunt for the spring now.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:22 am

SiobhanMac wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:30 pm
SiobhanMac wrote:

Well, I’ve arrived home from work today and now have my Irish passport! 4 weeks from posting from GB to receiving! Am so happy! Off to book an ancestry trip with my aunt for the spring now.
Congrats! Passport times seem to have sped up recently. Hoping I get mine in 4 weeks as well! (I'm at 2 weeks currently). my estimated date was just about a month.

duffy1867

Post by duffy1867 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:14 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:10 pm
Passport in the post to me 1 month, 1 week and 4 days post application, with a 10 day hold up in the UK. Not too shabby at all after a 29 month wait for citizenship!
Passport Received today - didn't know this, but once the Passport & Card have been dispatched the tracker shows tracking info for both (by chance I had already received passport by the time it had updated).

Good Luck to those waiting, it's a lovely feeling to have it in hand finally!

TInFE
Newly Registered

Post by TInFE » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:19 am

Hi everyone,
I'm now happily FBR status and applying for an Irish passport.
Can I send my previous passport that expired this year as proof rather than my current UK passport?

FieldsOfAthenry
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by FieldsOfAthenry » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:21 pm

Has anyone had trouble with rejected documents for proof of name and address?

I received an email stating the following:

Internet printouts of the following are only accepted if endorsed by the relevant authority. We cannot accept the photocopies previously submitted.

Proof of Name
Please submit proof of your name e.g. payslip, utility bill, bank statement, official correspondence from a public body. Original documents are required, must state your name in full and must be from a different source to the proof of address.

Proof of Address
Please also submit proof of your current address e.g. payslip, utility bill, bank statement, official correspondence from a public body. Original documents are required, must state your address in full, and must be from a different source to the proof of name. Documentary evidence of your address must be dated from within the last six months. Internet printouts are only accepted if endorsed by the relevant authority.

All of the examples given are documents I receive digitally online, not through the mail. Does "endorsed by the relevant authority" mean I need to drive to the utility headquarters and get an employee to physically sign the printout of my bill? I didn't have to do that for the FBR application and they were accepted without any issue.

I am awaiting a response from the passport service for the answer to these questions.

Thanks

vidalkroos
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by vidalkroos » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:46 am

FieldsOfAthenry wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:21 pm
Has anyone had trouble with rejected documents for proof of name and address?

I received an email stating the following:

Internet printouts of the following are only accepted if endorsed by the relevant authority. We cannot accept the photocopies previously submitted.

Proof of Name
Please submit proof of your name e.g. payslip, utility bill, bank statement, official correspondence from a public body. Original documents are required, must state your name in full and must be from a different source to the proof of address.

Proof of Address
Please also submit proof of your current address e.g. payslip, utility bill, bank statement, official correspondence from a public body. Original documents are required, must state your address in full, and must be from a different source to the proof of name. Documentary evidence of your address must be dated from within the last six months. Internet printouts are only accepted if endorsed by the relevant authority.

All of the examples given are documents I receive digitally online, not through the mail. Does "endorsed by the relevant authority" mean I need to drive to the utility headquarters and get an employee to physically sign the printout of my bill? I didn't have to do that for the FBR application and they were accepted without any issue.

I am awaiting a response from the passport service for the answer to these questions.

Thanks
Did you receive an answer from the passport service?

I'll be applying soon and I am interested to learn more about this. Anyone here can elaborate on what "endorsed by relevant authority" means? Some government bodies offer only digital statements, such as Welfare.ie and Revenue.ie. Will these be acceptable as proof of name?

It is frustrating that after several years of being resident in Ireland, a few stamp 1s and a few stamp 4s, and after successfully going through the entire naturalisation process, the Irish government is still not sure what my name is and is asking for a proof.

corky100

Post by corky100 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:19 pm

The advice in that e-mail is out of date it seems....sigh......

They've updated the requirements and I've highlighted the relevant change.

Proof of name such as government correspondence like a letter from the NHS, Social Welfare or HM Revenue and Customs. >>If you do not have these, original utility bills, or bank statements **can be considered**.<<

Not "will be considered".

So assuming your from the USA, that means letters from IRS, DMV etc etc. Government correspondance.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:12 pm

corky100 wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:19 pm
The advice in that e-mail is out of date it seems....sigh......

They've updated the requirements and I've highlighted the relevant change.

Proof of name such as government correspondence like a letter from the NHS, Social Welfare or HM Revenue and Customs. >>If you do not have these, original utility bills, or bank statements **can be considered**.<<

Not "will be considered".

So assuming your from the USA, that means letters from IRS, DMV etc etc. Government correspondance.
seems very inconsistent. I'm from the US. for my passport application proof of name and address I submitted print out of my cable bill and printout of a bank statement. (all of my bills and banking is online, I don't receive anything via normal mail). Also submitted notarized copy of my passport for identity.

I had no issues with any of these documents being accepted.

The wording is also inconsistent across different sources. The actual application says the following, (with no mention of "can or will be considered")

"Proof of name (for example, original utility bills, bank statements, government correspondence)"

That wording is from my own application submitted less than 2 months ago.

FieldsOfAthenry
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by FieldsOfAthenry » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:02 pm

I contacted web chat and had what I can only describe as a "who's on first" discussion about the meaning of the terms "original" and "endorsed by relevant authority". When I asked why the same exact utility bills (aside from the date) were accepted for my FBR application but not for my passport application, the representative could not provide a coherent answer.

Very frustrating experience overall and I did not come away with a better understanding of why these documents were rejected. The Irish government seems to be a couple decades behind the times if they think I still receive bills and government correspondence in paper form through the mail.

Edit: I live in the US.

corky100

Post by corky100 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:08 pm

With my application, a letter from the taxman was accepted, but the water bill & bank statement was rejected. I ended up posting my NHS number medical card.

I've just looked at the requirements on the DFA website:-

Proof of address such as original government correspondence such as letter from the local government health services, local social welfare services or other local government services. These must be accompanied by a translation into English or Irish. Where you do not have government correspondence, original utility bills, or bank statements may be considered.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:08 pm

FieldsOfAthenry wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:02 pm
I contacted web chat and had what I can only describe as a "who's on first" discussion about the meaning of the terms "original" and "endorsed by relevant authority". When I asked why the same exact utility bills (aside from the date) were accepted for my FBR application but not for my passport application, the representative could not provide a coherent answer.

Very frustrating experience overall and I did not come away with a better understanding of why these documents were rejected. The Irish government seems to be a couple decades behind the times if they think I still receive bills and government correspondence in paper form through the mail.

Edit: I live in the US.
That is vey strange. I'm not sure how any one at DFA could rightfully distinguish between a cable bill that I printed and one that was printed and sent to me. But I as well get nothing via regular mail. Mine were simply a bank statement and a cable bill I downloaded and printed, and I had no problems at all. My passport arrives today.
Overall, standards seem to be very inconsistent. Some posters send notarized copies of their passports and it's accepted, others have them rejected and have to send their actual passport. I suppose as a last resort you could call your gas or cable company and ask them to send you a copy of your last bill via mail.